ADVERTISEMENT

Cal,Stanford and SMU could join This Weekend.

SMU not taking any TV contract revenue for 7 Years is absolute insanity!!!

I think today when I most sensed things changing was when that idiot soccer coach backtracked his statement he made yesterday saying that Stanford could die on the vine. And, yesterdays reporting that Stanford athletic department was asking their board to fund the athletic program from their endowment for 13 years. Hmm, that 13 years matches the remaining years of the ACC media contract.

That chapter won't close soon enough for me. Looking forward to seeing what happens with OSU and WSU.

SMU not taking any TV contract revenue for 7 Years is absolute insanity!!!

To add to that insanity is that the ACC could get $72 million by adding the three schools. A bulk of that money will go for incentives. Seems like they are trying to pacify Florida State and any others upset about their current media deal. It's just a band aid for temporary relief imo.

If your the ACC, what's the appeal of adding these 3 teams other than hedging on Clemson/FSU leaving for SEC.. you now added 2 unnecessary long road trips to the schedule with very little return value. Outside grabbing Stanfords "prestige" and non M,ajor sports programs, I just dont get it for their part. And SMU taking 0 dollars for 7 years seems like a bet against themselves, frankly, why arent we making that kind of offer to the Big 12...

Reactions: UNLVINMD
To add to that insanity is that the ACC could get $72 million by adding the three schools. A bulk of that money will go for incentives. Seems like they are trying to pacify Florida State and any others upset about their current media deal. It's just a band aid for temporary relief imo.

It's crazy to me that those schools are giving up that much to go to a conference that sounds like it's going to blow up like the PAC did. If FSU, Clemson, and the NC schools leave, it's expected that the Big 12, Big 10, and SEC are going to try to raid additional schools. So likely, the ACC will take a huge hit, and possible fall apart altogether like the PAC did.

It's crazy to me that those schools are giving up that much to go to a conference that sounds like it's going to blow up like the PAC did. If FSU, Clemson, and the NC schools leave, it's expected that the Big 12, Big 10, and SEC are going to try to raid additional schools. So likely, the ACC will take a huge hit, and possible fall apart altogether like the PAC did.
The ACC was out of their minds for signing such a long term media deal. They still have 13 years to go. You can't predict 5 years in college sports anymore how they thought a 20 year media deal was a good thing is nuts. The MWC had the same problem when we signed a 10 year media rights deal previously. That was a big fail.

No clue if this guys is just throwing crap at the wall or if there's anything truth to his post, but...
Like others have said, the MWC only has 2 years left on it's current media agreement, so there's a real chance that the MWC could be in a better position than the AAC in 2 years, if they're able to add OSU, WSU, and keep everyone else in tact. They may even be able to poach some AAC schools.

That shyt was started about 10 days ago by said twitter account. Blowing smoke up everyone's ass imo.

Maybe that's just what he's hoping will happen. I mean, it's certainly possible, but at this point, who knows.

It seems like there's a big chunk of money that the PAC will be getting based on NCAA basketball tournament money, etc, and if the PAC totally goes away, then they won't receive that money, which is why the remaining teams have a big incentive to try to stay in the conference. Last one standing I guess. But in order to be a valid conference, they need to have at least 6-8 teams, or whatever that number is.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Its just a temporary landing spot for Stanford and Cal.

They will be in the BIG in a few years along with some other ACC schools and the SEC will also grab some ACC schools too.

CFB will be like NFC/AFC in the NFL.

Maybe that's just what he's hoping will happen. I mean, it's certainly possible, but at this point, who knows.

It seems like there's a big chunk of money that the PAC will be getting based on NCAA basketball tournament money, etc, and if the PAC totally goes away, then they won't receive that money, which is why the remaining teams have a big incentive to try to stay in the conference. Last one standing I guess. But in order to be a valid conference, they need to have at least 6-8 teams, or whatever that number is.
I have no clue what is going to happen in the future. Here are some thoughts in reply.

If the PAC closes the door before 8/2/2024 I would think that each of the 12 will get an equal share. Even at that it's a good amount of money. My best conservative guess is they would get about $30 million each. That's based upon some Pac12 numbers that were being thrown around. And I think it will be more.

Yes the last man standing rule would be nice. But, what is OSU and WSU going to do about the 24/25 season for scheduling games for all their student athletes if they aren't with any conference. They might see their programs destroyed in the transfer portals. I don't think they can say yes we will be joining the MWC as of 8/2/2024 and we will be the last man standing so we should get all that money. The lawyers will go to town with that. Best scenario is that the doors close and they get equal shares. Now a merger might save OSU and WSU under the Pac# umbrella where they could end up with all the money. But the lawyers will be fighting that for the next 5 years.

I have no clue what is going to happen in the future. Here are some thoughts in reply.

If the PAC closes the door before 8/2/2024 I would think that each of the 12 will get an equal share. Even at that it's a good amount of money. My best conservative guess is they would get about $30 million each. That's based upon some Pac12 numbers that were being thrown around. And I think it will be more.

Yes the last man standing rule would be nice. But, what is OSU and WSU going to do about the 24/25 season for scheduling games for all their student athletes if they aren't with any conference. They might see their programs destroyed in the transfer portals. I don't think they can say yes we will be joining the MWC as of 8/2/2024 and we will be the last man standing so we should get all that money. The lawyers will go to town with that. Best scenario is that the doors close and they get equal shares. Now a merger might save OSU and WSU under the Pac# umbrella where they could end up with all the money. But the lawyers will be fighting that for the next 5 years.
Yeah, it's hard to say how this will shake out. But if the PAC and MW can do a merger of sorts, and keep the PAC as a valid conference, that would be worth a lot to OSU, WSU, or whoever is left. I'm not saying they will do that, but that it would be financially beneficial for them to do that. There's also the issue of TV contract, but it sounded like Apple was wanting to jump on board to get into the NCAAF game.

It sounds like the ACC is going to make their decision soon, and announce by the weekend. If they take Cal and Stanford as expected, then that should free up OSU/WSU to push forward on whatever they intend to do. If Cal/Stanford only join the ACC for basketball and football though, are they forced to leave the PAC for the other sports? I know there isn't really a conference left, but just thinking about that pot of money remaining in the PAC. I'm guessing they'd be forced to leave, and join the WCC or something else for other sports. Maybe even be independent in some sports, but IDK.

Yeah, it's hard to say how this will shake out. But if the PAC and MW can do a merger of sorts, and keep the PAC as a valid conference, that would be worth a lot to OSU, WSU, or whoever is left. I'm not saying they will do that, but that it would be financially beneficial for them to do that. There's also the issue of TV contract, but it sounded like Apple was wanting to jump on board to get into the NCAAF game.

It sounds like the ACC is going to make their decision soon, and announce by the weekend. If they take Cal and Stanford as expected, then that should free up OSU/WSU to push forward on whatever they intend to do. If Cal/Stanford only join the ACC for basketball and football though, are they forced to leave the PAC for the other sports? I know there isn't really a conference left, but just thinking about that pot of money remaining in the PAC. I'm guessing they'd be forced to leave, and join the WCC or something else for other sports. Maybe even be independent in some sports, but IDK.
I don't see a future for any of Cal's or Stanford's sports teams remaining in the Pac12. They could end up in the WCC, Big West, WAC, or even the MWC. When Stanford thought about going independent Gloria Nevarez said to Stanford and Cal that she would accept their Olympic sports teams. I don't know what her thinking is today. And if there is no men's basketball that means no potential for additional revenue. They would have to pay us in my opinion for all those non revenue sports events. Too much of a hassle. I wouldn't do it.

For the media contract I would think the MWC is in a good position. Our media partners allow us to expand and renegotiate the contract. So for the remainder of the contract that helps. As the contract will be expiring in two years we should begin talks with our current media partners and Apple. A true mix of Linear TV and Streaming would be a good thing.

If it isn't leaked sooner about Stanford and Cal to the ACC I would think we will know next Tuesday when the ACC has their weekly Board of Director meeting. Just so glad to see this out of the way and the sooner the better.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Is the ACC changing their name from Atlantic Coast Conference to “All Coasts Conference”. This is ridiculous from a travel and geographical perspective.
No doubt the travel perspective is a key point. From what I've read it appears that Stanford and Cal would only be joining the ACC with football and men's and women's basketball. At least they drew the line there. That could be a road map for OSU and WSU to join the AAC with the same sports and then dump all other sports into a conference like the WAC. Still it's a lot of travel just for those three sports but, they are going to follow the money and if the AAC can get them more money that may be where they go. Just speculating on my part and I am actually hoping the MWC can provide the best offer to keep all their sports. The MWC makes the most sense for travel for WSU and OSU but, money is the name of the game.

Reactions: Rebel Hoya
Wouldn’t WSU’s athletic department go bankrupt without Pac money?
The State of Washington isn't going to let that happen. The hard part is facing the reality that many jobs will have to be cut in the athletic department. Our own athletic department has no debt. We have to run mean and lean but we get by. They are going to have to learn what it's like to live in our G5 world.

The State of Washington isn't going to let that happen. The hard part is facing the reality that many jobs will have to be cut in the athletic department. Our own athletic department has no debt. We have to run mean and lean but we get by. They are going to have to learn what it's like to live in our G5 world.
They may not have to fire too many people since employees want to be part of that P5 world as well. Watch how quickly coaches accept offers from other schools as soon as the final regular season whistle blows.

Oregon State's coach has them ranked. If any of the Pac-to-Big teams struggle, will they hire him? (I'm looking at you, UCLA). Will a team in the B12 take him? NO doubt in my mind that his agent has already reached out to every P5 AD.

Oregon State's coach has them ranked. If any of the Pac-to-Big teams struggle, will they hire him? (I'm looking at you, UCLA). Will a team in the B12 take him? NO doubt in my mind that his agent has already reached out to every P5 AD.
No doubut those conversations have started. If you're that guy, do you target colorado expecting prime to fail? (Or I guess the unlikely event that he succeeds enough to get a better job?)

Won't be long before arizona is on the hunt again for the same reasons with Fisch.

They may not have to fire too many people since employees want to be part of that P5 world as well. Watch how quickly coaches accept offers from other schools as soon as the final regular season whistle blows.

The OSU coach will definitely be a sought after coach after this season. The WSU coach, Dickert, not so much. Dickert got his first HC job there at WSU after they canned Rolovich. Dickert hasn't done much yet. 0-2 in bowls and 10-9 overall record. I don't see him going anywhere soon. But, he has this season to build his resume.

I was thinking more in terms of athletic department staff and not so much of the coaches being let go due to "budgetary constraints".

Yeah, I think it comes back to not having the money to match offers to keep coaches and then not having both prestige and money to hire the replacement. See how quickly something can fall apart when they dont have the miscellaneous resources behind them that are necessary to keep up with the big boys

Per the attached article the ACC Presidents will have a conference call tonight. Hopefully this gets resolved for Stanford and Cal so we can move on to the next phase of realignment. I'm still pulling for WSU and OSU to the MWC.

Reactions: LINEBACKER_U
These 3 schools in particular are in for such an awakening when the real split happens and they aren't included. The big split coming in the next decade won't include all members of the 3 or 4 conferences who split, it'll be selective.

Most of the sec, big 10 will be fine. Probably half the acc and big 12 will be in. They take a grand total of $14m/year for those 3 schools foe 7 years... just in time to have the door shut on them :). Basically judt free wins (including smu) foe acc programs for the interim.

These 3 schools in particular are in for such an awakening when the real split happens and they aren't included. The big split coming in the next decade won't include all members of the 3 or 4 conferences who split, it'll be selective.

Most of the sec, big 10 will be fine. Probably half the acc and big 12 will be in. They take a grand total of $14m/year for those 3 schools foe 7 years... just in time to have the door shut on them :). Basically judt free wins (including smu) foe acc programs for the interim.
Screw them. Let's take care of business for ourselves. Let's get that reverse merger idea cranked up or bring WSU and OSU into the fold. It is written and now let it be done. 😃

SMU gave up revenue for 7 years? Hard to see how they make up for that.
They gave up TV revenue but to they get a share of conference money from things like the NCAA tournament?

I believe The AAC TV agreement is $7m per school which is nothing to SMU. They probably have one good ole boy oilman with a huge cowboy hat and a huge Cadillac with a wife wearing way too much makeup pulling up to campus this morning with that $7m check,

They also will benefit financially from increased interest, sold old games when Clemson, ND, FSU among others and this gets them into a conference in a group of conferences that previously had shut them out. They paid a cover charge to get into a prestigious party.

Reactions: Boston Rebel 2
17 schools is such a weird number. They must be sure they are losing a current school?

17 schools is such a weird number. They must be sure they are losing a current school?
18 if you count ND who plays 5 ACC games.

As for ND they play Stanford every year so this will free up one more game for them to schedule which I’d think will mean more $$ depending on the opponent and location they choose to utilize this open slot for each year.

Screw them. Let's take care of business for ourselves. Let's get that reverse merger idea cranked up or bring WSU and OSU into the fold. It is written and now let it be done. 😃
100%

MWC stability has been surprising, even if only because nobody can afford to leave. I understand OSU, WSU will get some sort of favorable deal, at least initially. Grab them and jabe the only FBS conference based on the west coast. Do our thing over the next couple years and see where we are

Reactions: LVRebel2000
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT