ADVERTISEMENT

Cal,Stanford and SMU could join This Weekend.

100%

MWC stability has been surprising, even if only because nobody can afford to leave. I understand OSU, WSU will get some sort of favorable deal, at least initially. Grab them and jabe the only FBS conference based on the west coast. Do our thing over the next couple years and see where we are
Who has been invited to leave? SDSU but that fell apart with the collapse of the PAC.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Why give them a sweet deal? When have they ever been must see TV? Boise, they earned their sweet deal since they won big. Neither of these two attract much attention.

I'm guessing because Cal and Stanford bring the Bay Area / California TV markets! And they have Alumni all over the country.

With the AAC withdrawing, that takes away pretty much all of the leverage from WSU and OSU from a negotiating position. They can basically either:
1. Choose to go independent, which wouldn't work well for them,
2. Join the MWC and kill the P12
3. Do a reverse merger with the MWC and create a PAC/Mountain conference
4. Attempt to rebuild the Pac 12 by luring some MWC, some AAC, and possibly some other WCC schools.

Hopefully this doesn't drag out too long. Option 4 definitely lost a lot of it's luster with Stanford and Cal leaving. Not that those are great football schools, but they have a massive market and lots of booster money. So in terms of media deals for a rebuilt Pac 12, that would be a significant loss.

This Option makes the most sense IMO, but they need to get rid of George " The 🤡 " Kliavkoff before proceeding!

Last edited:
This Option makes the most sense IMO, but the need to get rid of George " The 🤡 " Kliavkoff before proceeding!

I agree, but it would mean that OSU and WSU are okay with adding all of the schools in the MWC. I'm sure that would NOT be their preference, but like I was saying above, they've lost most of their bargaining power at the moment, so we'll see I guess.

Depends how long osu and wsu will wait. They are in PAC full conference until next summer. Then by NCAA rules they have two years from next summer to get back to 8 or more teams and still remain a conference. SO they could be pac 2 for 1-2 years and remain a conference. They could invite the teams they want from the MWC and have them start in the PAC in 2025 and the teams would only have $17mil buy out. Or when the MWC tv deal ends in 2026 the MWC teams have the chance to vote and change the exit fee and basically get out for $0.00.
Now I have no idea if this has ever been considered but there is a way for the PAC to survive and the top MWC and AAC teams get poached.
This would probably never happen but is an option for the PAC to survive and in essence create a new conference that SDSU has been trying to create.
Oregon St
Washington St
SDSU
CSU
UNLV
BSU
Fresno
Air Force
Memphis
UTSA
North Texas
Tulsa
Tulane
UAB

This makes no sense. Who knows where the ACC will be by then. They would be next in line for realignment
Make total sense. They got themselves into a P4 conference. The way things are headed all other conferences will fade away into oblivion. This is a move to secure their future.

I agree, but it would mean that OSU and WSU are okay with adding all of the schools in the MWC. I'm sure that would NOT be their preference, but like I was saying above, they've lost most of their bargaining power at the moment, so we'll see I guess.
A deal would need to be struck with OSU and WSU to admit 9 MWC schools. UNLV, SDSU, FSU, AF, CSU, NM, BSU, Wyo, and Hawaii. Those nine vote to merge into the Pac#. SJ, reno, and UtahState won't be invited to the Pac#. I'm sure the Pac2 want maybe 6 of those schools but we need to cut the dead weight and get 9 votes to make this happen. It's 9 or no merger. Gloria can use the Denver Airport for this meeting of 9.

If we can't get those 9 then OSU and WSU are welcome to join the MWC or go independent.

Remember this needs to be settled ASAP. Oregon State and Wazzo don't have a Football schedule for 2024. Speaking of schedules I am wondering if we will switch to 9 conference games in the future.

A deal would need to be struck with OSU and WSU to admit 9 MWC schools. UNLV, SDSU, FSU, AF, CSU, NM, BSU, Wyo, and Hawaii. Those nine vote to merge into the Pac#. SJ, reno, and UtahState won't be invited to the Pac#. I'm sure the Pac2 want maybe 6 of those schools but we need to cut the dead weight and get 9 votes to make this happen. It's 9 or no merger. Gloria can use the Denver Airport for this meeting of 9.

If we can't get those 9 then OSU and WSU are welcome to join the MWC or go independent.
That would basically be a vote to dissolve the conference. I'm not really sure how Gloria can smooth that over. Oliver Luck will play a huge role in making this reality.

I would rather Utah st over Wyoming only reason being is I have heard many stories of really bad issues of the travel to Wyoming from UNLV athletes/ coaches. Plus have you ever been to Laramie? Between Reno, Albuquerque and Laramie there isn't much worse out there.
But I think your scenario is probably the best option that would involve UNLV.

I'd rather have Utah St than Hawaii they are better in the two big sports by far.

That would basically be a vote to dissolve the conference. I'm not really sure how Gloria can smooth that over. Oliver Luck will play a huge role in making this reality.
She will be the next Pac# Commissioner. George is going to get the boot. Can't be any smoother than that. lol.

Won't Oliver Luck be the new commish of the new pac?
From the meeting August 25th in Pullman Gloria impressed the WSU advisory committee to where one attendee was quoted as saying they wish Gloria was their commissioner. Gloria's presentation with NM President was well received.

Between Luck and Nevarez Gloria is the best qualified. She worked for the pack 12 for 9 years. She is a Cal Law School grad. She was Commissioner of the WCC before coming to the MWC. Luck is the dad of a former Stanford QB. The remaining 2 wouldn't want anything to do with Stanford at this point I would think. Her work with the WCC could be beneficial if we try to bring the Zags into the conference as she knows them well.

From my personal point of view the way she dealt with SDSU and their "Letter" to leave the MWC conference couldn't have been handled any better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT