ADVERTISEMENT

Boyd

UNLVWINS

Lottery Pick
May 14, 2005
I thought Boyd had NFL potential a few years ago. He drops to many easy balls lately. The physical tools are there. Hopefully he will be healthy Saturday.

Kinda seems like the M.O. with UNLV wide-outs. All the way back to Ervin Johnson...or Phillip Payne and Ryan Wolfe. ... Just doesn't seem like things pan out....NFL wise.

(Insert 'Lurking' emoji here...:boom::flush:)

He’s the Dez Bryant of UNLV Football.

Seems to drop a lot of balls.

Same thing happened with Phillip Payne his senior year. Was dropping everything. But yes has been a huge problem with Boyd. I havent watched all the games and Ive seen him drop at least 5 passes right in his hands.

Makes me wonder how different the ball is coming off a pass from Armani vs that one quarterback Boyd had years of experience playing with...

Dalton Snead
Kurt Palendach
Johnny Stanton
Blake Decker
Jared Lebowitz
Nick Sherry

Huh...

Absolutely not an excuse for the guy, but those guys have all started at QB during the time Boyd has been at UNLV. I might have even missed some. Maybe he doesn't like the speed or the spin or whatever. No secret that if he wants a shot in the league. he'll have to figure it out. A WR at this level *should* be able to make a lot of the easy catches he has dropped.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Kinda seems like the M.O. with UNLV wide-outs. All the way back to Ervin Johnson...or Phillip Payne and Ryan Wolfe. ... Just doesn't seem like things pan out....NFL wise.

(Insert 'Lurking' emoji here...:boom::flush:)
You can be an incredibly good college receiver and not be an NFL guy. Randy Gatewood was fantastic. Damon Williams was pretty good. I thought Wolf was as good as a receiver as we've had, pure money, Flair... the other guys you've named. Nate Turner....

Most of the other guys listed competed for the ball much better. Nate was a beast, devonte davis really did too. I dont see that much from Boyd, thought it was youth a couple years back - but his battling for a contested ball is not there.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Most of the other guys listed competed for the ball much better. Nate was a beast, devonte davis really did too. I dont see that much from Boyd, thought it was youth a couple years back - but his battling for a contested ball is not there.
Ah, Davis. He was recent but his name eluded me. And you are right, that's the HUGE difference... his hands aren't great as it is, but he not going to battle for it. I loved those other guys.

Dropped passes.... YES, but look at the passes Armani throws to Boyd versus the other receivers, if he thows to Boyd at all. Most are not catchable. Something is not quite right!!!

Boyd is at his best when he is not the primary receiver. He doesn't win the battles for 50/50 balls like many of the receivers listed above could. He is not a "possession" type receiver.

He runs pretty good routes and he does have speed. Not the greatest with pushed around by defenders, and I think the scouting report is out on him.

If he is getting the best corner and/or safety help, I think he will struggle. Because of this I'm not sure if he truly is an NFL guy.

Boyd is at his best when he is not the primary receiver. He doesn't win the battles for 50/50 balls like many of the receivers listed above could. He is not a "possession" type receiver.

He runs pretty good routes and he does have speed. Not the greatest with pushed around by defenders, and I think the scouting report is out on him.

If he is getting the best corner and/or safety help, I think he will struggle. Because of this I'm not sure if he truly is an NFL guy.

I can't even imagine him covered by the Richard Shermans of the league. I hope he gets it figured out though, just based on his ability on routes alone.

He is not an NFL guy.

It appears to me that Boyd is still at almost the same level as at the end of his freshmen year. He is a very good receiver, but does not appear to be a great, or NFL caliber player.

He had more yards his sophomore year compared to his junior year. More touchdowns also. Let’s hope he finishes out his career well. We are going to need him!!

Remember, he broke his left arm his junior year and missed the last 2 games of the season. That might be the reason why he had less yards and touchdowns. I agree, let's stay positive and hope he finishes out his collegiate career strong.

Well, After reading this entire thread that piles on Devonte pretty hard, hopefully he comes back and has a great 2nd half of the season and makes us all eat a little crow.

Despite my critique, I still like him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT