ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Predictions

Boston Rebel 2

Retired Number
Gold Member
Sep 30, 2020
I read two different predictions (one was Jerry Palm) who had us playing USC. I hope not. That would be a disappointing match up after a great season. Playing a limping USC team without their best player (since we know Caleb Williams is highly doubtful to play). I would rather play Texas and lose 31-14 then beat USC with a back up QB. I would like to see this team tested against a good team.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I read two different predictions (one was Jerry Palm) who had us playing USC. I hope not. That would be a disappointing match up after a great season. Playing a limping USC team without their best player (since we know Caleb Williams is highly doubtful to play). I would rather play Texas and lose 31-14 then beat USC with a back up QB. I would like to see this team tested against a good team.
Honestly, part of me wants to play the best. But when I think about it, I think I’d rather play someone in our area of quality. My thinking being I’d like to go into next season on our highest of highs.

Honestly, part of me wants to play the best. But when I think about it, I think I’d rather play someone in our area of quality. My thinking being I’d like to go into next season on our highest of highs.
If I could name our opponent it would be someone like KSU or OSU. A ranked team that if we play a great game and they make some mistakes it is a winnable game. A win would like that would be huge. Texas we would have no shot. But I would still rather play them than a team without its best player because even if we win I don't think it would do anything for us. "Yeah but they didn't have Caleb Williams."

Just win next 2 and hope for a Tulane and SMU loss and it won't matter
And Toledo and Liberty 🫠🫠

I guess beat SJSU and either BSU or AFA, maybe ya hop over toledo and Liberty. But Tulane and SMU will likely play in the American conference title game. (UTSA vs Tulane this week for one of the spots. SMU basically locked up the other, has to beat Navy.)

What- I would love to play USC!!! We aren’t getting a Texas. Best we can get is a middle PAC team. I’d rather get the big name USC than an Oregon State or Arizona who are better teams this year but don’t have the name. OSU, Zona, Cal, UCLA will all do home and home series with UNLV but USC thinks they’re too good for us. We may never get another shot at USC on a somewhat neutral field. Win or lose sign me up for that opportunity.

I would respectfully disagree with this. When looking back at this team, perception is reality. USC carries a huge name recognition. Regardless of who is playing, getting a win in the first bowl game in ten years, would be the "icing on the cake". When recruiting time comes calling, I would much rather have a win against a P5 opponent than a loss. After a while, people tend to forget the details and will just look at the record.

USC? That would be an interesting game.

Generally I would prefer a game that is winnable, USC without WIlliams could be winnable. But still a bit of a long shot. If we were to win, the shine of it is diminished, but still there. Lose and it wouldn't be a great look.

Playing a different G5 in a winnable competitive game feels good for this year. Hopefully spring boarding momentum into next season. More likely giving us a preseason ranking.

However playing USC would bring more eyeballs to the team, and potentially more press about how crazy this season has been for us.

What- I would love to play USC!!! We aren’t getting a Texas. Best we can get is a middle PAC team. I’d rather get the big name USC than an Oregon State or Arizona who are better teams this year but don’t have the name. OSU, Zona, Cal, UCLA will all do home and home series with UNLV but USC thinks they’re too good for us. We may never get another shot at USC on a somewhat neutral field. Win or lose sign me up for that opportunity.
Normally I would love to also but without their best player I think a win against them would be dismissed. A falling team that has lost 5 of 6 and oh on top of it they don't have their best player who happens to be their QB. I would rather play a team with less name recognition but more respect like OSU.

Generally I would prefer a game that is winnable, USC without WIlliams could be winnable. But still a bit of a long shot. If we were to win, the shine of it is diminished, but still there. Lose and it wouldn't be a great look.

Playing a different G5 in a winnable competitive game feels good for this year. Hopefully spring boarding momentum into next season. More likely giving us a preseason ranking.

However playing USC would bring more eyeballs to the team, and potentially more press about how crazy this season has been for us.
Most years, I would agree. But I really don't think very many teams would be unbeatable for us this year. Our offense has been pretty solid, and our defense has improved all year. USC started out the year very strong, but after the 3rd game, they haven't been particularly good at all.

@ASU 42-28 (Win)
@Colorado 48-41 (Win)
vs Arizona 43-41 (win)
@ Notre Dame 20-48 (Loss)
vs Utah 32-34 (Loss)
@ California 50-49 (Win)
vs Washington 42-52 (Loss)
@ Oregon 27-36 (loss)
vs UCLA 20-38 (loss)

I'm not saying that we would win, but I don't think they would beat us as bad as Michigan did. They've lost 5 out of 6 and their one win in that time was a 1 point win over Cal, which isn't good.

I'm not sure what's going on with their defense, but it hasn't been very good at all.

Most years, I would agree. But I really don't think very many teams would be unbeatable for us this year. Our offense has been pretty solid, and our defense has improved all year. USC started out the year very strong, but after the 3rd game, they haven't been particularly good at all.

@ASU 42-28 (Win)
@Colorado 48-41 (Win)
vs Arizona 43-41 (win)
@ Notre Dame 20-48 (Loss)
vs Utah 32-34 (Loss)
@ California 50-49 (Win)
vs Washington 42-52 (Loss)
@ Oregon 27-36 (loss)
vs UCLA 20-38 (loss)

I'm not saying that we would win, but I don't think they would beat us as bad as Michigan did. They've lost 5 out of 6 and their one win in that time was a 1 point win over Cal, which isn't good.

I'm not sure what's going on with their defense, but it hasn't been very good at all.
That ND game broke them. It also scared me off of Williams for the number one pick. 3 INT's in the first half and it looked like 2 if not all 3 were because he misread the defense. He relies heavily on improv and plays breaking down can he build on his game similarly to how Lamar Jackson appears to have or is he yet another USC QB whose game doesn't work in the NFL.

Don’t count your chickens too soon. Beating SJSU is the key. Everything after that is gravy. Winning the MWC football championship in CBO’s first season is stupendous 👍👍👍
To be fair. The gravy started like another ago 🤣🤣 but point taken!

Reactions: unlove
That ND game broke them. It also scared me off of Williams for the number one pick. 3 INT's in the first half and it looked like 2 if not all 3 were because he misread the defense. He relies heavily on improv and plays breaking down can he build on his game similarly to how Lamar Jackson appears to have or is he yet another USC QB whose game doesn't work in the NFL.
Some of the reason why he relies on the improv is because his Oline is so bad. I was at the SC vs Oregon game two weeks ago and he was running for his life on every snap. He could have been sacked 20 times that game.

My friend and I have a joke that Williams doesn’t want to be #1 pick so he’s doing just enough to drop a spot or two

Some of the reason why he relies on the improv is because his Oline is so bad. I was at the SC vs Oregon game two weeks ago and he was running for his life on every snap. He could have been sacked 20 times that game.
No doubt that a bad O line will create bad habits for a QB faster than any other aspect of the game.

Reactions: rebel5280

I believe this vs USC is absolutely winnable.
USC offense is potent when firing on all cylinders, no doubt. Now lets think about how many on USC’s team are going to sit for the bowl. There are a lot of guys who will be playing at the next level of USC’s team. They are very senior heavy.

I believe the match up would be a competitive game. GO REBELS!

My friend and I have a joke that Williams doesn’t want to be #1 pick so he’s doing just enough to drop a spot or two

He's an immensely talented player.

And here comes my NIL rant.

Back in the day before it, I think you could chalk it up to immaturity or say he's a 'kid' and had no obligations to speak to the media.

Now with NIL, let's call it what it is, you are essentially an employee, and if not an employee a spokesperson..

You wanted to get paid, you wanted the limelight, you want the attention when it's good...Suck it up go out in front of the media and say..

'This season didn't go how we wanted. I needed to be better, my team needed to be better, we just didn't get it done'.

If I'm a Gm I'm still drafting him #1 overall, but dude has some growing up to do..If he thinks facing the press is tough now, imagine dealing with it if the Giants were to move up to get you..Or Chicago..

He's an immensely talented player.

And here comes my NIL rant.

Back in the day before it, I think you could chalk it up to immaturity or say he's a 'kid' and had no obligations to speak to the media.

Now with NIL, let's call it what it is, you are essentially an employee, and if not an employee a spokesperson..

You wanted to get paid, you wanted the limelight, you want the attention when it's good...Suck it up go out in front of the media and say..

'This season didn't go how we wanted. I needed to be better, my team needed to be better, we just didn't get it done'.

If I'm a Gm I'm still drafting him #1 overall, but dude has some growing up to do..If he thinks facing the press is tough now, imagine dealing with it if the Giants were to move up to get you..Or Chicago..
I also would be nervous about him jumping in Mom’s lap and crying after a game. Makes me question his mental toughness. On the other hand nothing says Gen Z better than that.

so the more i look at it, the more unlikely that we play USC. The LA bowl is for the 5th best team, and they will likely slide to 7th. The playoff could take a PAC 12 team away, but still seems unlikely, especially with UCLA being ahead of them.

So would you rather play a ranked Utah team? a Williams-less USC team, or a UCLA team with a coach that will be fighting for his job or maybe already fired?

so the more i look at it, the more unlikely that we play USC. The LA bowl is for the 5th best team, and they will likely slide to 7th. The playoff could take a PAC 12 team away, but still seems unlikely, especially with UCLA being ahead of them.

So would you rather play a ranked Utah team? a Williams-less USC team, or a UCLA team with a coach that will be fighting for his job or maybe already fired?
Utah is no longer ranked but I would rather play them or anyone not missing their best player.

If we win the Conference and UTAH beats COLORADO, UTAH will be in PAC 12 5th place and we'll play them in the LA bowl. Is this correct or am I missing something?
Does that take into account that if either Oregon or Washington win out they should be in the Playoff making the Pac #2 their #1 for Bowl purposes so #5 would be the 6th team in the PAC.

Reactions: reagan21
Other than the top spots, where it's "conference champion goes to game x" I'm pretty sure all the bowl tie ins are "5th selection" and not "5th place" aren't they?

Based on the current standing the 3 teams you mentioned are the most likely teams to end up in fifth place, but how do they decide which teams plays in the bowl if more than one teams ends up in a tie at the end of the season? Do they have the same tie breaker system as the MWC? 😁

If we win the Conference and UTAH beats COLORADO, UTAH will be in PAC 12 5th place and we'll play them in the LA bowl. Is this correct or am I missing something?
Well just that Tulane and SMU both lose one of the next 2 games, and we are the highest rated G5 team so we play in the Fiesta bowl.. but not much other than that, lol

Well just that Tulane and SMU both lose one of the next 2 games, and we are the highest rated G5 team so we play in the Fiesta bowl.. but not much other than that, lol
Well they both would have to lose this week. They will likely play each other for their championship game.
So one of them will win that.
It sure if we leapfrog either team with just one additional loss. Especially Tulane.
Then there is a liberty. I don't think with jump an undefeated a liberty team either

I’d prefer we play the best team that we have the best chance of beating. Winning is what matters most. Losing to a “full strength” team doesn’t trump beating a team without its top player. Folks aren’t going to remember who played only remember who won.

My bad. I saw Utah by a number by it on ESPN's bottom line, I guess it was the Women's BB team!?!

I was right! It looks like ESPN is still using last week's playoff rankings. So I was also wrong, but so were they!

Last edited:
Reactions: NSU67
We need to improve our bowl tie in. Not saying we should be playing Alabama but 5th place in the PAC for the conference champion? How about 3rd or 4th? That will change automatically with the PAC going away, hopefully it isn't the 5th place ACC team.

We need to improve our bowl tie in. Not saying we should be playing Alabama but 5th place in the PAC for the conference champion? How about 3rd or 4th? That will change automatically with the PAC going away, hopefully it isn't the 5th place ACC team.
Next year the MWC gets to play #1 or #2 in the PAC! 😁

Next year the MWC gets to play #1 or #2 in the PAC! 😁
every team plays either #1 or #2 in the PAC!

but you make a good point, we obviously will lose the LA bowl or at least a PAC tie in game, interesting to see how some of these bowl tie ins change.

I believe this vs USC is absolutely winnable.
USC offense is potent when firing on all cylinders, no doubt. Now lets think about how many on USC’s team are going to sit for the bowl. There are a lot of guys who will be playing at the next level of USC’s team. They are very senior heavy.

I believe the match up would be a competitive game. GO REBELS!
Agree. They would have "opt outs" and not be motivated. They would be ripe for the picking

Reactions: RebelinWA
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT