ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Game Chances

UNLVWINS

Lottery Pick
May 14, 2005
What if we beat BYU Friday night. Then drop the game at UNM. It would setup a huge contest in reno for a bowl game and the cannon. It could the biggest game against Reno in years. Thoughts?

I would really much rather come into that game being 6-5 than 5-6, yeesh! It's hard to look that far into the future - with this group, let me get through the next two Fridays. Then I'll talk UNR! *fingers crossed that we crush them regardless*

A win this week is the only thing UNLV needs right now, but I'll play your game

UNM is in the midst of a mutiny against Davies and they have 100% quit on him. The only reason I don't fully expect a win in Albucrackwhore is because it's a road game.

Reno is REALLY bad. No QB and no RB. However, AGAIN, it is a road game and Reno wants to keep that canon. All bets are off. That game should be a brawl. I hope our players remember the egg they laid last season and use that going forward.

In short, IF we win on Friday I do expect to win out this season and end it on a 5 game winning streak. I actually think Reno is the hardest game left on the schedule. We better have 6 wins by the time that game starts or I doubt we go bowling. They will have an added incentive to keep us out.

Just as a side point regarding 5 wins in a row:

Most wins in a row as a division 1 program: 7
1978 (7-4) which is the first year as division 1
1979 (9-1-2)
1984 (11-2) under Cunningham as QB -best team and record ever in D1

Last year that UNLV won 5 or more games in a row:

Regard 2-8 byu:

Last time byu only won 2 games in a season
1968 (2-8)

It has been a long time since byu has struggled:

Years in which byu struggled:
1970 (3-8)
1968 (2-8)
1964 (3-6-1)
1963 (2-8)
1961 (2-8)
1960 (3-8)
1959 (3-7)
1956 (2-7-1)
1959 (1-9)
1958 (1-8)

1949 (0-11) last year with no wins.

Last edited:
BYU sucked from WWI through the end of Vietnam. Let's get that win on Friday. I can't WAIT for this game.

Just as a side point regarding 5 wins in a row:

Most wins in a row as a division 1 program: 7
1978 (7-4) which is the first year as division 1
1979 (9-1-2)
1984 (11-2) under Cunningham as QB -best team and record ever in D1

Last year that UNLV won 5 or more games in a row:

Regard 2-8 byu:

Last time byu only won 2 games in a season
1968 (2-8)

It has been a long time since byu has struggled:

Years in which byu struggled:
1970 (3-8)
1968 (2-8)
1964 (3-6-1)
1963 (2-8)
1961 (2-8)
1960 (3-8)
1959 (3-7)
1956 (2-7-1)
1959 (1-9)
1958 (1-8)

1949 (0-11) last year with no wins.
Didn’t UNLV have to forfeit the good season and have the record reversed for using 60 ineligible players? Not that many, but you know what I’m saying.

Didn’t UNLV have to forfeit the good season and have the record reversed for using 60 ineligible players? Not that many, but you know what I’m saying.
I don't remember that. Was the NCAA investigating Notre Dame, so they punished them by forfeiting our season?

I could be wrong but my understanding was the PCAA forced the vacation of those wins, but the NCAA. I thought UNLV still has those wins by NCAA records.

I could be wrong but my understanding was the PCAA forced the vacation of those wins, but the NCAA. I thought UNLV still has those wins by NCAA records.
That would explain it. Odd, but it’d make sense why UNLV claims it as the record. It’d be a shame to have to get rid of half the victories in our program’s history.

What if we beat BYU Friday night. Then drop the game at UNM. It would setup a huge contest in reno for a bowl game and the cannon. It could the biggest game against Reno in years. Thoughts?
Under this scenario I don't think there is any way we lose that game not after what they did to us last year and the frustrations they've been through this year. I think we win that game even if we lost the rest of our games. No better way to let out your frustrations than kicking them while there down.

Under this scenario I don't think there is any way we lose that game not after what they did to us last year and the frustrations they've been through this year. I think we win that game even if we lost the rest of our games. No better way to let out your frustrations than kicking them while there down.

They really did carry on in a bad fashion. I agree.

I agree, but you don't think reno is going to want to take out some frustrations from their season. It's going to be a serious battle... and I'm afraid it's going to be typical dirty playing by reno.
First things first... Let's get this W tomorrow!

Reactions: wattjose
I agree, but you don't think reno is going to want to take out some frustrations from their season. It's going to be a serious battle... and I'm afraid it's going to be typical dirty playing by reno.
First things first... Let's get this W tomorrow!
Agreed on getting the win tomorrow first, but...

Depending on the outcome of tomorrow and next Friday, if our guys are 6-5 and playing either 2-9 or 1-10 Reno? I would say that game would be a "take the wind out of their sales with one TD and one defensive stop" type of game. I would guess they wouldn't fight much in the second half if they aren't within a field goal.

Agreed on getting the win tomorrow first, but...

Depending on the outcome of tomorrow and next Friday, if our guys are 6-5 and playing either 2-9 or 1-10 Reno? I would say that game would be a "take the wind out of their sales with one TD and one defensive stop" type of game. I would guess they wouldn't fight much in the second half if they aren't within a field goal.
Very true....it's just getting to that point which has alluded UNLV in the past.

Reactions: LocoRebel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT