ADVERTISEMENT

Back to Augmon

X7fifteen4

Starter
Mar 16, 2010
Do you think Augmon was passed due to public relation issues? Because, public relations have been so fantastic. Right?

Late night thinking. Best to the new staff.

Wrong! Augmon did not get the job because he has no head coaching experience. If UNLV was going to hire Augmon as the HC, they would have just kept David Rice. After the Rice experience, UNLV could not afford to hire another coach without HC experience.

Do you think Augmon was passed due to public relation issues? Because, public relations have been so fantastic. Right?

Once Rice s**t the bed there was no way the administration was going to go with another former player without HC experience. Personally, I wanted to see Stacey get a shot, but I knew it wasn't in the cards.

I think, despite the similarities in the resumes of Rice and Augmon, that they are actually quite different. Dave was a bench-warmer on the NC team, while Stacey was the heart-and-soul. While success as a player doesn’t necessarily translate to success as a coach, I think, in Stacey’s case, it’s important,

He was a lightly-recruited kid out of high-school. Through hard-work and desire, he transformed himself into an All-American and an Olympian. He then went on to a distinguished professional career that included an All-Star selection.

Again, I acknowledge that none of this guarantees success as a HC, but my point is that he managed to better himself and the teams he played for at every turn. I believe he would carry this work-ethic into a leadership role with the Rebels. And as a 40-year UNLV fan, I admit that Stacey Augmon holds a special place in my heart, and it hurts me to see him disrespected by the school that he had a major hand in putting on the map.

So I understand why he had to be passed over (although why he didn’t get the interim job baffles me), but I hope that he gets some experience at lower-level schools, and might one day be able to return to his alma mater.
images
images

So I understand why he had to be passed over (although why he didn’t get the interim job baffles me), but I hope that he gets some experience at lower-level schools, and might one day be able to return to his alma mater.
images
images
i tried to double-like this post, but it wouldn't let me.

that Todd Simon was given the interim over Augmon and even Miller was a slap in the face.

i give Augmon a lot of credit for not kicking someones ass on the way out. i know i would have.

Once Rice s**t the bed there was no way the administration was going to go with another former player without HC experience. Personally, I wanted to see Stacey get a shot, but I knew it wasn't in the cards.

I think, despite the similarities in the resumes of Rice and Augmon, that they are actually quite different. Dave was a bench-warmer on the NC team, while Stacey was the heart-and-soul. While success as a player doesn’t necessarily translate to success as a coach, I think, in Stacey’s case, it’s important,

He was a lightly-recruited kid out of high-school. Through hard-work and desire, he transformed himself into an All-American and an Olympian. He then went on to a distinguished professional career that included an All-Star selection.

Again, I acknowledge that none of this guarantees success as a HC, but my point is that he managed to better himself and the teams he played for at every turn. I believe he would carry this work-ethic into a leadership role with the Rebels. And as a 40-year UNLV fan, I admit that Stacey Augmon holds a special place in my heart, and it hurts me to see him disrespected by the school that he had a major hand in putting on the map.

images
images
Excellent response! I would like to add the motivation factor. Rice is family, but when you're playing for Augmon, a legend in theT&M, a been there done that player. As a recruit, do you not get amped the **** up to play for #2? Trust me, the kids and fans are amped to play for Stacey! That's 80% of coaching right there. Unconditional Respect! Hype! Tradition!
To me, it's a psychological win! A damn no brainer. Augmon is the dude that ballers and fans would invest in innately. You can't coach that.

Last edited:
i tried to double-like this post, but it wouldn't let me.

that Todd Simon was given the interim over Augmon and even Miller was a slap in the face.

i give Augmon a lot of credit for not kicking someones ass on the way out. i know i would have.
Cliff Findlay is the reason Simon got the interim job. He's the reason Stacey was hired as an assistant, and he's the reason Stacey was passed over for the HC job.

Excellent response! I would like to add the motivation factor. Rice is family, but when you're playing for Augmon, a legend in theT&M, a been there done that player. As a recruit, do you not get amped the **** up to play for #2? Trust me, the kids and fans are amped to play for Stacey! That's 80% of coaching right there. Unconditional Respect! Hype! Tradition!
To me, it's a psychological win! A damn no brainer. Augmon is the dude that ballers and fans would invest in innately. You can't coach that.

They sure didn't seem that "amped the **** up" to play for him the whole time he was here as a seemingly big part of the coaching staff. Where was that "unconditional respect" as he sat quietly observing his teams make underachieving fools of themselves year after year? Did the 7th place MWC teams filled with NBA prospects the last few years "invest in him innately"?

Sure, no doubt you will say that it's a big difference between Augmon being an asst. and being the head coach. Bottom line, he couldn't have possibly showed less as an assistant to some of the most underachieving teams in NCAA history. But to those of you with almost incomprehensible levels of bias stemming from Augmon's legendary playing career, none of this matters.

I wouldn't have had a problem with him being named interim, but then again it would have been harder to get rid of him if his teams had even a tiny bit of an uptick from Rice (which wouldn't have been hard as we were a pathetic 0-3 in MWC when Rice was canned). I personally am glad we turned the page from that mess.

Reactions: Don-F

images
images

While I agree with much of what you wrote, do need to make a correction regarding Stacey being a lightly recruited player out of high school.

Stacey was ranked the 7th rated player in the class of 86 by Bob Gibbons who was no fan of Jerry’s. While Gibbons was a head of his competition in scouting Stacey, he was regarded by most as a top 50 player nationally.

He made Frank Burlison’s Best of the West team for that season and played in Sonny Vaccaro’s Dapper Dan game which featured future college stars Derrick Coleman and Stevie Thompson of Syracuse, UNC’s Scott Williams, Nick Anderson of Illinois and Terry Mills of Michigan among others.

Stacey was recruited heavily by Washington, Syracuse and Kansas, which played in the Final Four that season, among others in addition to of course UNLV. He took official visits to Washington and Kansas.

The problem was it was known he was going to be a Prop 48 player which meant he was going to have to sit out his freshmen season to concentrate on academics. This turned a lot of programs off like local schools USC and UCLA as a large number of programs back then wouldn’t take Prop 48 kids. That was the only reason he was not a more heavily recruited player out of high school.

Reactions: TarkisGod
They sure didn't seem that "amped the **** up" to play for him the whole time he was here as a seemingly big part of the coaching staff. Where was that "unconditional respect" as he sat quietly observing his teams make underachieving fools of themselves year after year? Did the 7th place MWC teams filled with NBA prospects the last few years "invest in him innately"?

Sure, no doubt you will say that it's a big difference between Augmon being an asst. and being the head coach. Bottom line, he couldn't have possibly showed less as an assistant to some of the most underachieving teams in NCAA history. But to those of you with almost incomprehensible levels of bias stemming from Augmon's legendary playing career, none of this matters.

I wouldn't have had a problem with him being named interim, but then again it would have been harder to get rid of him if his teams had even a tiny bit of an uptick from Rice (which wouldn't have been hard as we were a pathetic 0-3 in MWC when Rice was canned). I personally am glad we turned the page from that mess.

Stacey wasn't hired for the head coaching gig at UNLV so to make up for PR ( or a lack of) MM was hired

While I agree with much of what you wrote, do need to make a correction regarding Stacey being a lightly recruited player out of high school.

I bow to your much more intimate knowledge of the situation, and stand corrected. I'm old and memory occasionally fails me.

By the way, Stacey was recently hired by the Bucks as an assistant to Jason Kidd's staff.

Max Good tweeted the following:

Max Good ‏@CoachMaxGood

So pleased for Stacy and the Bucks He is 1 of the most humble and most honest people l have ever been around in the BB business UNLVs loss.

I applaud and agree with his words.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sport...y-augmon-join-bucks-assistant-coach/89957742/

So, was I right?
MENZIEZ speaks confident as a mutha Luva! Why do we get sabotaged? WHY? The mathematics, the politics, the real estate, the jew, the ego, the conspiracy, the pride, the quality fabric, the PT''s limp, the lack of

Yall sonz a bitchez want to know what I think? Augmon was the power choice! Whoever was in power to sabotage the grand slam must have been a evil impotent knob!

Reactions: j. spilotro
We can keep bringing this up every year, but maybe it is time to let it go in to past or have some fun!

We all know that TKM was a secret weapon of mass destruction that the community college of northern Nevada infiltrated into the UNLV athletic department to cause complete destruction and chaos. She will be gone in a couple of month with a new mission of destroying the UNLV foundation.

• weapons_of_mass_destruction_by_jetfreak_7-d8cximf.png

The job has been completed, now she must move onto her newest target.

• 0e4127244_1427810858_2015-blog-weaponofmassdestruction.jpg

As she has walked along her path late at night, dressed in her favorite gray sweatsuit, I have heard that she mutters (قتل الكفار).

• maxresdefault.jpg

My best understanding of what she has muttered is kill the infidels, but that may only be my poor hearing and she may have really been saying Wolfie is great instead.

• a.aaa-crazy-looking-husky.jpg

Reactions: RebboBiscuit
Tired of the Augmon thing being dragged into the mud too many times!

• RVFD-Mud-Bog-0035.jpg

Either way, we have a great group of prospects coming for an un-official visit to UNLV.

• 677-Seven-Dwarves.jpg

Didn't we hire Coach Menzies? When can we lay that coaching debacle to rest

Stacey was not a "power" choice. He was a very risky choice.

First time head coach, only college experience was with Rice, which didn't turn out great.

He may have done well, but that is a risky move.

Most great players aren't good coaches. Most great coaches were bench warmers themselves.

If they were going to retain an assistant, Miller would have been a better choice. Been a college coach for much longer, definitely had better recruiting contacts. But I'm in the camp that retaining an assistant is a tough sell, and pretty much unprecedented to retain an assistant after firing a coach due to performance.

Love Stacey to death. One of my all time favorites. I feel fortunate just being able to meet him and shake his hand. Slam dunk hire he was not.

Could he have been? Maybe. As an assistant he brought in Wood, maybe others, not sure. Worked with the big men, meh results. Worked on our defense, ok in some areas, ridiculously porous in other areas. You never know how he would be as a head man. Risky though to say the least.

Didn't we hire coach Menzies? When can we lay that coaching debacle to rest?

Stacey should have gotten interim head coach.

He got screwed.

Greatest Rebel ever and you dont give him a chance to head coach cause the other guy coached the most elite high school players.

I wanted it to happen..even if it was for just a month or 2.

Its disgusting.

He wasnt entitled. Its about showing some respect towards a guy who took a step down to work for your school.

What's next? We talk about how Dave rice was a bad hire? And then we can talk about Kruger? And then we can go alllll the way back to the Tark days. Why bring up stuff that doesn't matter anymore? Menzies is here for the time being, and before that was Chris Beard and Todd Simon. Why waste effort talking about nonsense that only creates division for the sake of division

What's next? We talk about how Dave rice was a bad hire? And then we can talk about Kruger? And then we can go alllll the way back to the Tark days. Why bring up stuff that doesn't matter anymore? Menzies is here for the time being, and before that was Chris Beard and Todd Simon. Why waste effort talking about nonsense that only creates division for the sake of division
Doesn't matter anymore? The accomplishments of the exceptional players that built the brand that is UNLV basketball should be reminded of their immeasurable contributions to a history that is unmatched in NCAA history. We had the greatest team of all-time. No one can take that away from us. Without it, we're a just a lousy team in a mediocre conference. You want to accuse me of dwelling on the past? Knock yourself out. I'm reliving the moments that make being a Runnin' Rebel supporter such a glorious thing.

Why talk about it? Because Stacey deserves our attention and respect. Anyone who followed the Rebels in the late ‘80’s & early ‘90’s knows that he is the heart and soul of Rebel basketball. No one wanted to see him honored by getting the job, more than myself. He could have raised a ruckus over being passed over for both the interim and the HC jobs.

There was a slight protest, mostly orchestrated by his wife. Leslye was justifiably insulted by the school’s complete lack of decency towards her man. But Stacey, himself, sat stoically by, while his alma mater chose to ignore his qualifications, his history and his loyalty. Ever the class-act, he continued to do his job, until there was a new hire.

I’m 100% behind Marvin Menzies. He will continue to have my full support until he gives me good reason otherwise. But I will never forget the great Stacey Augmon. I will always wish good things for him. And in my heart of hearts I will hope that there will be some way for him to return to the team and the school which should be forever in his debt.

I’m not the one stoking this flame, but I fully support anyone who wants to remind us of the greatest Rebel of all-time. If anyone wishes to bring him up on a daily-basis, they have my full-throated encouragement. I doubt that Stacey bothers to monitor our little board, but on the off-chance that he might, I want him to know that true Rebels are fully aware of the invaluable contributions that he has provided to UNLV.
images

Go Rebels!

Talking about Stacy Augmon and lementing over who should have been hired is equivalent to all the Rice apologetics defending him for years being harped on for reopening old wounds - that's all I'm saying

Doesn't matter anymore? The accomplishments of the exceptional players that built the brand that is UNLV basketball should be reminded of their immeasurable contributions to a history that is unmatched in NCAA history. We had the greatest team of all-time. No one can take that away from us. Without it, we're a just a lousy team in a mediocre conference. You want to accuse me of dwelling on the past? Knock yourself out. I'm reliving the moments that make being a Runnin' Rebel supporter such a glorious thing.

Why talk about it? Because Stacey deserves our attention and respect. Anyone who followed the Rebels in the late ‘80’s & early ‘90’s knows that he is the heart and soul of Rebel basketball. No one wanted to see him honored by getting the job, more than myself. He could have raised a ruckus over being passed over for both the interim and the HC jobs.

There was a slight protest, mostly orchestrated by his wife. Leslye was justifiably insulted by the school’s complete lack of decency towards her man. But Stacey, himself, sat stoically by, while his alma mater chose to ignore his qualifications, his history and his loyalty. Ever the class-act, he continued to do his job, until there was a new hire.

I’m 100% behind Marvin Menzies. He will continue to have my full support until he gives me good reason otherwise. But I will never forget the great Stacey Augmon. I will always wish good things for him. And in my heart of hearts I will hope that there will be some way for him to return to the team and the school which should be forever in his debt.

I’m not the one stoking this flame, but I fully support anyone who wants to remind us of the greatest Rebel of all-time. If anyone wishes to bring him up on a daily-basis, they have my full-throated encouragement. I doubt that Stacey bothers to monitor our little board, but on the off-chance that he might, I want him to know that true Rebels are fully aware of the invaluable contributions that he has provided to UNLV.
images

Go Rebels!
Well stated.

images

Go Rebels!
DAMN,that is all I can say and thank you for putting into words on how a lot of us feel.

You can put Dave Rice in the same sentence as Stacey Augmon as a UNLV legend.
As a player Augmon has actual on the court experience at every level and has actually implemented the footwork, hand placement and plays he would be relaying to the players.
As a player, Rice would surpass H Waldman in UNLV lore but he was a great recruiter that never produced a losing season as UNLVs head coach.
I can't see Marvin Menzies reaching the status on either.

True, but I'm not placing those two in the same category - I'm placing the people that advocate for or against Rice, and for or against Augmon in the same category. The point for either argument has been moot for a long time now. There's no denying Augmons skills as a player, but no one can determine his head coaching ability as he has none. No one can assume what Menzies will do yet for UNLV because of this out of the ordinary season. Time will tell.

Go Rebs

PS.....new word...Rebsurrection??

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT