ADVERTISEMENT

Article predicting conference expansion, "UNLV is a no brainer" for the Pac 12!

I think its laughable to think UNLV controls the Las Vegas market.

With consistent winning and opponents geographically and athletically relevant, it could definitely be a thing. But to think inviting UNLV, in its current state, will "get the LV market" cracks me up.

That said, ONLY ONE WAY TO FIND OUT!

I don't think they care if UNLV controls the Vegas market or not. They believe if they get the Vegas market its more eyes on PAC12 not just for UNLV games but Arizona, Arizona St, Utah, Cal, Oregon, Stanford, Washington, Washington St, Oregon St and Colorado. It's a lot bigger than just UNLV viewership in Vegas. If they believe it is enough to get a better TV deal they will invite UNLV if not UNLV will be in whatever is left on the pos mwc.

With consistent winning and opponents geographically and athletically relevant, it could definitely be a thing. But to think inviting UNLV, in its current state, will "get the LV market" cracks me up.

It’s not like SMU owns the Dallas market either.

So how good would that be ???

to join the Pac 12 W/O UCLA and USC ??

Everyone was dreaming of being in the Pac 10 or 12 for years so we could play these 2 teams.

Yet they exit the league and we are still hung up on the idea that joining that league...........

THATS WHATS gonna GET us OVER THE hump and BACK in the BIGTIME again...

Ya cant polish a turd. We could join the SEC tomorrow - we will still have a horrible program with no real commitment to winning from the Admin and armature level donors and boosters - So fans can wish and dream all they want -

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I recently saw one writer that's been reporting on the Pac 12 media deal address the SMU "not controlling the Dallas market" thing being said by people and he said it doesn't matter that they don't control the market, as long as there in Dallas! This supposedly came from a guy that new how the TV stuff works!

I recently saw one writer that's been reporting on the Pac 12 media deal address the SMU "not controlling the Dallas market" thing being said by people and he said it doesn't matter that they don't control the market, as long as there in Dallas! This supposedly came from a guy that new how the TV stuff works!
Nobody watches TV. Everybody is on the internet.

I think being just in the market could matter with their TV deal.
If they end up being on a particular channel, niche sports channels typically are only available, or least in more standard TV packages, in those markets. For instance cities with baseball teams typically have a market specific channel that has their games. If these conference games get on channels like this it "gets them in the market" even if the local team that it is for isn't the big draw.
However, if they end up being primarily on a streaming platform, it really doesn't matter. Unless they trey to partner with a local channel to co broadcast these games.

We’ll see. Think SD st and Smu are first.

Second would be unlv and Fresno

Third is Boise and Colorado st

Think Colorado st would be higher, but Colorado will not want them in

If they’re smart they go to 14-16 like the other conferences. There’s in strength in numbers with expansion. The conferences that don’t understand have been put in bad positions

We’ll see. Think SD st and Smu are first.

Second would be unlv and Fresno

Third is Boise and Colorado st

Think Colorado st would be higher, but Colorado will not want them in

If they’re smart they go to 14-16 like the other conferences. There’s in strength in numbers with expansion. The conferences that don’t understand have been put in bad positions
I think all of this will depend on how much $$ current programs will get from TV. They are bound to lose a boatload of cash no matter what and you can bet all that $$ is already spent. So they are panicked about the programs within the University they will need to cut. Some will be panicked about keeping the high $ six-figure job. So if they keep the most staying small that's the way they'll go. If they keep more getting bigger then that will be what happens. But they don't give a crap about winning/losing/tradition etc. It'll be totally money and survival.

I think all of this will depend on how much $$ current programs will get from TV. They are bound to lose a boatload of cash no matter what and you can bet all that $$ is already spent. So they are panicked about the programs within the University they will need to cut. Some will be panicked about keeping the high $ six-figure job. So if they keep the most staying small that's the way they'll go. If they keep more getting bigger then that will be what happens. But they don't give a crap about winning/losing/tradition etc. It'll be totally money and survival.
And this "there not academically aligned with us" stuff is BS! If you're going to say that's why UNLV is not a expansion candidate you can't say SDSU is with a straight face! Like you said, it's about the $$$

And this "there not academically aligned with us" stuff is BS! If you're going to say that's why UNLV is not a expansion candidate you can't say SDSU is with a straight face! Like you said, it's about the $$$
If you remember before that article came out about a university rep saying that UNLV didn't academically align with them most reports were saying that if they expanded beyond 2 teams and added 4 UNLV was an "obvious" choice!

Even though it looks like the Pac 12 will not be a power 5 in 3-5yrs I would still think getting an invite to a "power 5" conference is good not only for the extra money but when there is realignment again in a few years and the Big 12 or other conferences look to expand UNLV will now be a "power 5" school, not a G5!

I kind of prefer that the Pac 12 gets greedy and decides to stay put at 10 teams, then would be awesome if Big 12 expands with SDSU and UNLV to get that "fourth time zone" (pacific) that there commissioner talks about. I read somewhere that the Big 12 can expand with G5 schools but no more than 2, they have to make sense to add. What would make more sense than Vegas and San Diego!

I think SMU is in a similar situation in Dallas. We are a destination city and Pac 12 teams will travel to Las Vegas.

I kind of prefer that the Pac 12 gets greedy and decides to stay put at 10 teams, then would be awesome if Big 12 expands with SDSU and UNLV to get that "fourth time zone" (pacific) that there commissioner talks about. I read somewhere that the Big 12 can expand with G5 schools but no more than 2, they have to make sense to add. What would make more sense than Vegas and San Diego!
I’d much rather go to the Big 12, better competition and it’s a more stable conference. That being said UNLV may not win a conference game their first 2 years in football. It would be a rough transition but would be worth it.

I’d much rather go to the Big 12, better competition and it’s a more stable conference. That being said UNLV may not win a conference game their first 2 years in football. It would be a rough transition but would be worth it.
I've been on flights from Houston and Dallas to Las Vegas and these people love to party. The conference would do it's fans a big favor by giving them another reason to go to Vegas. To me it's a win for us and them. Unfortunately, I don't think they look at us that way. But, I'm with you on going to the Big12.

I've been on flights from Houston and Dallas to Las Vegas and these people love to party. The conference would do it's fans a big favor by giving them another reason to go to Vegas. To me it's a win for us and them. Unfortunately, I don't think they look at us that way. But, I'm with you on going to the Big12.
Adding us could be the dagger to the Pac, if the Big12 truly wanted to do that. Granted, it would mean moving their conference championships out of Jerry’s World and wherever they play basketball, but having those events here would move the Pac to LA (perhaps), but that just regionalizes them even more. Not that LA is chump change, just that it’s solely on the left coast.

I don't think they care if UNLV controls the Vegas market or not. They believe if they get the Vegas market its more eyes on PAC12 not just for UNLV games but Arizona, Arizona St, Utah, Cal, Oregon, Stanford, Washington, Washington St, Oregon St and Colorado. It's a lot bigger than just UNLV viewership in Vegas. If they believe it is enough to get a better TV deal they will invite UNLV if not UNLV will be in whatever is left on the pos mwc.
Yep exactly it's about the size of the media market. Plus being a transient town you will get fans of other schools watching games in Vegas. Plus recruiting advantages for Vegas market. That is UNLV's shot riding the coattails of the city.

No way are the numbers from the PAC12 deal gonna match up with the numbers from the Big12. Those PAC presidents are smoking some pretty potent stuff.

The WAC 12 is looking more and more bleak by the day… I wonder if the AAC is looking for teams out West?

We need to start doing better in the MWC. I would love to get out of this conference. I can’t believe 2013 was the last year we went to the post season for the two major sports.

The WAC 12 is looking more and more bleak by the day… I wonder if the AAC is looking for teams out West?
I could see a scenario where the AAC try’s to make another run for MW teams. Create a best of the rest conference. With SD st. and SMU leaving. Boise, Fresno, UNLV, Colorado st. and Air Force would put the AAC at 18. Could have a western division with Tulsa and the Texas schools. 9 schools in the west and east. Solidifying the 6th auto bid to the playoffs.

At the end of the day I see the MW staying together. Unless a couple schools jump out of fear the MW won’t be a strong enough conference.

Reactions: rebel5280
I could see a scenario where the AAC try’s to make another run for MW teams. Create a best of the rest conference. With SD st. and SMU leaving. Boise, Fresno, UNLV, Colorado st. and Air Force would put the AAC at 18. Could have a western division with Tulsa and the Texas schools. 9 schools in the west and east. Solidifying the 6th auto bid to the playoffs.

At the end of the day I see the MW staying together. Unless a couple schools jump out of fear the MW won’t be a strong enough conference.
INO they will stay at the same number of teams. The AAC is sitting on a new media deal netting each school $ 7 mil annually. ( compared to MWC $ 4 mil) The deal goes out to '2031. IMO, the school presidents will not allow any more expansion that could dilute annual earnings.

INO they will stay at the same number of teams. The AAC is sitting on a new media deal netting each school $ 7 mil annually. ( compared to MWC $ 4 mil) The deal goes out to '2031. IMO, the school presidents will not allow any more expansion that could dilute annual earnings.
I believe part of the AAC deal is that they are responsible for paying the production costs for games. Still net more than MWC, but the number is probably a decent percentage lower. I think that was AAC who signed that deal. May have been SBC.

Idk the AAC has been super aggressive. If they can add value and swallow up there main competition for top G5 conference would guarantee an auto bid for playoffs moving forward. Also they would be adding the pacific and mountain time zone, so would be a true coast to coast conference. Not sure paying the top MW schools from $4 mil to $7 mil would be that difficult.

I’m not a fan of this btw. Think it would be great for football, but not for basketball. Unfortunately football runs everything now.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT