ADVERTISEMENT

Any Word On Stanton?

We just hit the time frame they thought he would be back. Might here about it today at the press conference. I think Sneed has to be the #1 going into CSU and you stay with the hot hand.

A situation I could see is Stanton possibly taking over Palandech's role of the getting a series here and there. If he is comfortable running on it and taking hits, he might be a nice weapon to bring back in the red zone.

How is his knee healing? Will he be the starter when he returns? Will we have a QB controversy on our hands?
I don't know anything about the status of his recovery but do hope he is improving. The only controversy I could possibly envision at this time would be if he was to start. Sneed has shown superior skills as a passer and a leader. Questionable at this point whether or not Stanton is even a better runner.

He could make a helluva OLB next year if Armani develops as a good option. As Bull has stated, he was way behind the other QB's in the fall. If the Rebels can find increased success with Sneed that would certainly give him a leg up going into Spring and Fall camps. Game experience can't be acquired anywhere except in games and it is possible he will get a lot of it this year if he remains healthy and effective.

How awesome it would be to actually have 2 young QB's on the roster that can play. No doubt that Sanchez will bring in at least 1 more in this recruiting class. And if we keep passing the ball like the last game we will attract some good ones.

Stanton is only an emergency option. Said in the press conference he can throw out of the shotgun and hand off. Not really ready to get out and run or big drop backs.

Sneed played one great game, one poor game followed by one EXCELLENT game....I think the staff rides Sneed the rest of the way & should get a medical redshirt for stanton.

I believe Stanton already received a medical redshirt while at Nebraska. He sat out his freshman year after a knee injury his senior season in High School.

We also saw one excellent game and one great game from Stanton, yes Centeral Michigan and Idaho were bad, but he played well against UCLA.

I like that we are able to have this discussion, especially after being so thin under center for years!

I believe Stanton already received a medical redshirt while at Nebraska. He sat out his freshman year after a knee injury his senior season in High School.

We also saw one excellent game and one great game from Stanton, yes Centeral Michigan and Idaho were bad, but he played well against UCLA.

I like that we are able to have this discussion, especially after being so thin under center for years!

Copied from an article

Dalton Sneed solidified his hold on UNLV’s starting quarterback job after the redshirt freshman rallied the Rebels to a 41-38 victory over Hawaii early Sunday morning in Honolulu.

Backup Kurt Palandech played one series, as planned, against the Rainbow Warriors that resulted in a three-and-out, and Johnny Stanton returned to practice on Tuesday. But UNLV coach Tony Sanchez said he has no plans to play either junior quarterback in Saturday’s 2:30 p.m. home game against Colorado State.

“You look at the body of work and the way Dalton played the entire game, he really settled in and made some plays at the end,” Sanchez said. “The way he executed two two-minute drills, that was huge. That’s tough to do on the road.

“He’s got the ball. There’s no plan right now to get Kurt in at a specific time.”

Like I said earlier, the only controversy would come if Sanchez started anyone but Sneed. Should he continue to play well and stay healthy he will be gaining valuable experience that can't be replicated in practice. If Sneed's production and effectiveness begin to diminish then other options might be considered.

I think as long as he continues to play well Sneed will remain the starter, regardless of Stanton's health. Stanton will probably see the field, in the same role Palandech did last year.

Reactions: Menzies_Jay
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT