ADVERTISEMENT

Another year, same old, same old

Its a hard pill to swallow... 0-3 against Div 1 schools again.

I honestly thought this year would be the start of something special.

The schedule was in our favor, the momentum seemed to be there.

Very very disappointing.

In regards to just tonight, Stanton cost us the game in the first half with his 2 picks (should have been 3 picks)

Reactions: Kswoll
When the opposition has 10 seconds to throw the damn ball, it's pretty hard to get the team off the field. Any decent QB is going to win against us. WE got to cautious on 3rd down. They could not stop our running yet we are passing the ball way to much down the strech.

I'm pissed. Really nothing else to say. Thought this would be the year we turn a corner. Very unlv-ish; create hope and then slit your throat.

No pass rush, no pass coverage. Quarterback play substandard. All told, no bowl game. Five win season is probably gone, too. Those that bet the over 5.5 games can tear up their tickets.

The coaches are too stubborn to make the necessary changes IMO.

Bornand has the strongest leg. He should be kicking off. Changes starting field position from the 35 or 40 like tonight to the 25 for the opponent.

Armani Rogers is the best qb we have on our roster right now. I would burn his redshirt and play him now. Stanton is garbage throwing the ball. The coaches are too wedded to Stanton. Palendech sucks too. Give the keys to Rogers.

Our pass rush is non existent and Tim Hough was targeted all night. We are not finding any ways to get pressure with our front 4 and our secondary as a whole the last two weeks have been exposed.

Quite frankly we are a lot further away than what I thought we would be this year. I expected 6 or 7 wins. The schedule set up for it and the MW stinks. Right now if we can't beat Idaho at home where are the wins going to come from? I'm overreacting but I'm pissed.

Honestly we need reinforcements badly. Our talent level still isn't great. I don't want to name names but there are players getting good minutes on this team that are marginal D1 talent at best.

I'm sitting here at the stadium still pissed off about this horrible loss. I still believe in Sanchez and the potential we have. This is year two and certain road bumps are to be expected. Losing at home to a team dropping to FCS wasn't supposed to be one of them.

Some really good thoughts in that post @Rebelbacker. Field position was HUGE tonight, and our special teams are substandard... especially kickoff coverage.

Warning Drinking and watching Rebel games is hazardous to your health. Serious chest pains, however 4 games in and the abandon ship call goes up. I feel the pain pick 6, punter with coffin corner accuracy along with all other mentionables. I was coming in for the Fresno game with a buddy 2-2 just sounds so much better than 1-3 it will take some selling on my part to keep the plans in place. Very frustrating loss easy completion in OT.
Most bothered by lack of pass rush and 3rd down conversions.

Whoa. Where did that post that tom made calling Joe a joke and calling the high school coach a "real coach" go? Even if it were nick saban, garbage football is garbage football. Unlv football could be counting billions if it were a dumpster company. It's nothing new. I, personally, just can't understand why anyone has any emotion invested in the program at all. Beating Idaho wouldn't really have been much of an accomplishment. Go to the games and have fun. That's what it's all about. That and calling out die hard seasoned unlv fans for making totally reasonable statements, apparently.....

Reactions: willlevi
The coaches are too stubborn to make the necessary changes IMO.

Bornand has the strongest leg. He should be kicking off. Changes starting field position from the 35 or 40 like tonight to the 25 for the opponent.

Armani Rogers is the best qb we have on our roster right now. I would burn his redshirt and play him now. Stanton is garbage throwing the ball. The coaches are too wedded to Stanton. Palendech sucks too. Give the keys to Rogers.

Our pass rush is non existent and Tim Hough was targeted all night. We are not finding any ways to get pressure with our front 4 and our secondary as a whole the last two weeks have been exposed.

Quite frankly we are a lot further away than what I thought we would be this year. I expected 6 or 7 wins. The schedule set up for it and the MW stinks. Right now if we can't beat Idaho at home where are the wins going to come from? I'm overreacting but I'm pissed.

Honestly we need reinforcements badly. Our talent level still isn't great. I don't want to name names but there are players getting good minutes on this team that are marginal D1 talent at best.

I'm sitting here at the stadium still pissed off about this horrible loss. I still believe in Sanchez and the potential we have. This is year two and certain road bumps are to be expected. Losing at home to a team dropping to FCS wasn't supposed to be one of them.

Armani Rogers is not the best QB we have on the roster right now. I was at both practices in the fall open to the public and he was way behind Stanton, Palandech and Sneed. He is an 18 year old kid with a lot of upside, but wasn't near ready coming oit of fall camp.

@RebelinWA @Pistol Pete 1 and @rebelbuck will all confirm, during fall camp he was behind every other Qb on the roster. Talent/potential are all there, but grasp/understanding of the offense, not so much.

Armani Rogers is not the best QB we have on the roster right now. I was at both practices in the fall open to the public and he was way behind Stanton, Palandech and Sneed. He is an 18 year old kid with a lot of upside, but wasn't near ready coming oit of fall camp.

@RebelinWA @Pistol Pete 1 and @rebelbuck will all confirm, during fall camp he was behind every other Qb on the roster. Talent/potential are all there, but grasp/understanding of the offense, not so much.

I understand what you are saying. But info I get from people inside the program is that he has made huge strides and is ready to play and would jump at the chance. It won't matter anyway because the coaches won't do it. They are locked into Stanton and will ride or die with him.

Besides our problems are much deeper than QB. Rogers can't put pressure on the other teams QB or cover in the secondary and that is where we desperately need help.

Rogers will be the man his junior year. I fully expect him to shatter the qb completion/ year yardage if he can be developed correctly. He's a fresh slate with a lot of upside. Palandech and Stanton both have their own issues that transferred with them when they left their perspective original programs. Hoping they can both figure it out.

Reactions: willlevi
I understand what you are saying. But info I get from people inside the program is that he has made huge strides and is ready to play and would jump at the chance. It won't matter anyway because the coaches won't do it. They are locked into Stanton and will ride or die with him.

Besides our problems are much deeper than QB. Rogers can't put pressure on the other teams QB or cover in the secondary and that is where we desperately need help.

He must have gotten exponentially better in the last month then. It wasn't that he was a disaster, but he was way behind in understanding/running the offense.

I agree the pass rush is the biggest problem right now. No pressure with front 4. No pressure when we blitz. Nothing. Zepeda hasn't played in last three weeks after having nice game week 1.

Vaolaga has been a big let down so far after a very impressive camp.

The lack of pressure leads to DBs having to cover for to long.

Its a mess...

Reactions: RebelinWA
New coat of paint, new engine and new tranny but still the same old beat up 80's Honda Civic.

I really believe the defensive problem starts with the line. They bring no pressure to the quarterback at all. I don't remember them being this bad last year. When the secondary has to cover for as long as they do, teams are going to complete passes. I don't know what is up with the quarterback. Maybe there was a reason he dropped down to fifth on the depth chart in Nebraska. Coaching plays a big part in these things. We lost a good defensive line coach last year, who developed quite a few young men into nfl players. Obviously the quarterback coach isn't doing a good enough job if his guy is making the bad mental decisions he is.

I often think that O'Dell may be the problem. Just because he coached Tom Brady(?) in high school doesn't really mean shit...it was HIGH SCHOOL. I think he has certainly milked that horse to further his career but does he really help college QBs?

I often think that O'Dell may be the problem. Just because he coached Tom Brady(?) in high school doesn't really mean shit...it was HIGH SCHOOL. I think he has certainly milked that horse to further his career but does he really help college QBs?
Aaron Rodgers.

I get the point you're making and have thought of that as well. That, possibly, is his entire resume. (I'm aware he coached Solomon from UofA but that kid came to Gorman a good QB and didn't progress until college).

I said the team looked bad last week and everyone made excuses. They still look bad. Throwing behind receivers often, no pass rush, poor play calling...all stuff that happened with the last 2 coaches. I think Sanchez has the program going in the right direction but has work to do this season.

Give that Idaho punter credit. If he punts like that every game he could be in the NFL. Long kicks with long hang time to diminish any chance of returns and then putting the ball inside the 10 consistently made it tough.

This isn't just a rebuilding process, because there wasn't much to build with/from. This is essentially like starting a brand new program. Saturday was a disappointing loss. Expect more. It was also yet another game where UNLV was in position to have an opportunity to win in the 4th qtr.
We are witnessing growing pains. It takes time to learn how to win. And, in this case, we're talking about MAJOR changes in almost every aspect.. talent levels, depth, facilities(especially practice and training facilities) and much more.

5-3 in the MWC is doable. Then again, so is 0-8. Buckle your seatbelts and enjoy the ride. The good, bad, ugly and all that goes with building a true FBS program... GO REBELS!!!

5-3 in the MWC is doable. Then again, so is 0-8. Buckle your seatbelts and enjoy the ride.

I liked your post here, and then winced a little at the thought of a winless conference season. Curious... who is the third "unwinnable" conference game you have after BSU and SDSU?

Aaron Rodgers.

I get the point you're making and have thought of that as well. That, possibly, is his entire resume. (I'm aware he coached Solomon from UofA but that kid came to Gorman a good QB and didn't progress until college).
And let's not forget that Rodgers went juco out of high school, not straight to Cal, so it's not like O'Dell tuned him up for his run to the League.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I liked your post here, and then winced a little at the thought of a winless conference season. Curious... who is the third "unwinnable" conference game you have after BSU and SDSU?

To me, EVERY game is both winnable and loseable( I'm aware that isn't a word...lol). It's hard for me to see this team winning on the road. So, 5-3 will require winning all 4 remaining home games and then 1 road game. And, my personal W-L prediction in the MWC is 3-5 with a win over UNR.

I really believe the defensive problem starts with the line. They bring no pressure to the quarterback at all. I don't remember them being this bad last year. When the secondary has to cover for as long as they do, teams are going to complete passes. I don't know what is up with the quarterback. Maybe there was a reason he dropped down to fifth on the depth chart in Nebraska. Coaching plays a big part in these things. We lost a good defensive line coach last year, who developed quite a few young men into nfl players. Obviously the quarterback coach isn't doing a good enough job if his guy is making the bad mental decisions he is.

They were just as bad last year, maybe worse. They had only 9 sacks all of last season. They are at 5 already this year.

The new defensive line coach has very similar credentials to Coach Joe S.

Stanton's play has been sporadic. He drops in a nice pass one play, then turns around and throws into coverage the next. When he isn't missing receivers, they have been dropping passes, especially the CMU game.

Its been really frustrating to watch.

Both sides of the ball have yet to compliment the other. Defense forces a three and out, offense sputters. Offense scores, defense gives up a score in return. Defense creates short field offense forced to punt.

Last edited:
Reactions: RebelinWA
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT