ADVERTISEMENT

Another QB offer went out

A good backup to Maiava after DB and Friel hit the portal. Good size. Six interceptions in Community College though. Committed to Ark. State and decommits within a week? Something scared him off.

When will BO be ready?

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Looking at his stats, I’m not thrilled with his completion %. Those last three games aren’t great numbers in the 30-40% range. Was he dealing with an injury? Do they have playoffs in JuCO, was he playing top defenses?

Just weird to see the stats there.

He's a good sized dude. I'm not a proponent of a two QB system, but I'm not opposed running a more athetic/better running QB out there inside the 10 or short yardage situations. Passing windows get tight in the red zone so you have to be able to run the ball down there.
Or you just run block real well and let our athletic and strong group of backs do the running work... I don't want to see a QB get pulled for gimmicky run plays because it telegraphs the hell out of what you're running to the defense

Or you just run block real well and let our athletic and strong group of backs do the running work... I don't want to see a QB get pulled for gimmicky run plays because it telegraphs the hell out of what you're running to the defense
Depends on the QB, if it was Palendach coming in for JM, yes you have a point. Collier seems to be more of an RPO type QB, scouting reports from Illinois websites say he throws very well on the run.

I haven’t watched any tape on the guy but I’m real concerned about those last 3 games of 30-40% completion percentage at the JUCO level.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
This whole trepidation over having a QB to come in and not only push Maiava or even be better than him is hard to follow? Good teams have more than one QB, it’s called depth and being prepared if something happens like an injury or ineptitude. We need another QB not just some guy but a guy who can come in and beat out Maiava if that happens, I mean we are trying to get better aren’t we?! I am not getting the bend over to keep a guy happen who may have a foot out the door, this program needs more than relying on one guy under center!

This whole trepidation over having a QB to come in and not only push Maiava or even be better than him is hard to follow? Good teams have more than one QB, it’s called depth and being prepared if something happens like an injury or ineptitude. We need another QB not just some guy but a guy who can come in and beat out Maiava if that happens, I mean we are trying to get better aren’t we?! I am not getting the bend over to keep a guy happen who may have a foot out the door, this program needs more than relying on one guy under center!
I 100% agree. We haven't had the same QB finish 100% of the games in how many years... My point is that I don't want it to be gimmicky usage, you bring in the best talent and if he beats you out, he makes us better overall... there's a reason guys are at schools like USC, Texas, etc and it's not because they're good backups.

I 100% agree. We haven't had the same QB finish 100% of the games in how many years... My point is that I don't want it to be gimmicky usage, you bring in the best talent and if he beats you out, he makes us better overall... there's a reason guys are at schools like USC, Texas, etc and it's not because they're good backups.
Jon Denton in 1996.

'Or just run block real well'

Come on man, you're better than that! Id expect that analysis from some here not you though. That's like saying if we just throw the ball better, catch the ball better, run faster tackle better we should be great. 😁

We ran quite a bit of option this year so bringing in a guy for a play here and there that might be better at it isn't gimmicky. It's what we run already. (He also may not be, I don't know)

I disagree about opponents being able to key in. We all know AF is going to run the ball and that doesn't seem to be an issue for them. A lot of things in our offense mirrors things they do. I'm talking specifically inside the 10 yard line. And not every time we get there and not every single game necessarily.

Yes definitely would prefer our running backs do the heavy lifting. But part of the the success of this offense is the threat of a QB run. It's what makes the zone read aspect of it effective.

Last edited:
As the saying goes, if you have two QBs you have no QBs.

I agree.

I'm not calling for a dude to get an entire series. But if he were particularly good at zone read stuff or was a more physical runner etc. See no issue giving a guy a play here and there in certain situations.

Reactions: reagan21
I agree.

I'm not calling for a dude to get an entire series. But if he were particularly good at zone read stuff or was a more physical runner etc. See no issue giving a guy a play here and there in certain situations.
Interesting. Our backup QB and hopefully soon to be starter after Cam Ward hit the portal (don't let the door hit you), John Mateer, Is a big kid and great runner. Good arm too, just didn't get much of a chance to show it. We would put him in for all of about one play a game, almost always a QB keeper. He got yards, but at some point hello? We are going to run it when he comes in.

'Or just run block real well'

Come on man, you're better than that! Id expect that analysis from some here not you though. That's like saying if we just throw the ball better, catch the ball better, run faster tackle better we should be great. 😁

We ran quite a bit of option this year so bringing in a guy for a play here and there that might be better at it isn't gimmicky. It's what we run already. (He also may not be, I don't know)

I disagree about opponents being able to key in. We all know AF is going to run the ball and that doesn't seem to be an issue for them. A lot of things in our offense mirrors things they do. I'm talking specifically inside the 10 yard line. And not every time we get there and not every single game necessarily.

Yes definitely would prefer our running backs do the heavy lifting. But part of the the success of this offense is the threat of a QB run. It's what makes the zone read aspect of it effective.
Lol you sound like John Madden!

But I think that he has a point that we obvisouly had some talented backs, yet we struggled to get run yards on first and second down the second half of the season. We weren't creating a ton of good holes.

Would a more dynamic runner at QB help? Sure, but the better holes would help too, whether that is scheme or personnel. Not every run play of ours has an option component.

While Davis didn't put up great numbers at his previous stop, he extended runs with his second effort. He didn't go down after first contact. I definitely noticed that as a big difference from previous seasons.

If our future backs bring more of the same, I'd be very happy with that!

Lol you sound like John Madden!

But I think that he has a point that we obvisouly had some talented backs, yet we struggled to get run yards on first and second down the second half of the season. We weren't creating a ton of good holes.

Would a more dynamic runner at QB help? Sure, but the better holes would help too, whether that is scheme or personnel. Not every run play of ours has an option component.

Of course. (On the option element). But the threat of it is always there.

While Davis didn't put up great numbers at his previous stop, he extended runs with his second effort. He didn't go down after first contact. I definitely noticed that as a big difference from previous seasons.

If our future backs bring more of the same, I'd be very happy with that!

Definitely.

I was really impressed with how our backs finished runs this year. Even Jett who isn't a big guy ran pretty aggressively and behind his pads and didn't shy from contact.

Definitely.

I was really impressed with how our backs finished runs this year. Even Jett who isn't a big guy ran pretty aggressively and behind his pads and didn't shy from contact.
That’s one reason I preferred Xzavier to Lexington. X got a lot of yards after contact, granted he was much bigger. It just felt like he wanted it more. I was surprised how our rbs this year got physical with the yards after contact.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT