ADVERTISEMENT

Another bad team beating up on UNLV so far! (F for coaching)

Rebel1986

Rebel Legend
Feb 25, 2011
Las Vegas
illini up 19-13 over UNLV - UNLV has missed 11 straight shoots- UNLV already has 15 turnovers. Illini came into the game 2-7 and look like a 7-2 team playing UNLV.

It gets harder and harder to believe Menzies will ever figure thing out. This team would lose to last years UNLV team which isn't saying much!

Rebels down 40-34 at halftime. This is what happens when you fail to develop your players and only play 1 road game in the 1st eight! SMH MM is becoming CDR right before our eyes. :flush:

Menzies can't coach and has a team that is struggling verse a 2-7 team. Funny how people try to blame the bad shooting on twitter, when in truth bad coaching is why the shot selection is so bad!

Rebels down 40-34 at halftime. This is what happens when you fail to develop your players and only play 1 road game in the 1st eight! SMH MM is becoming CDR right before our eyes. :flush:
Wrong,CDR didn’t lose until conference play.

illini up 19-13 over UNLV - UNLV has missed 11 straight shoots- UNLV already has 15 turnovers. Illini came into the game 2-7 and look like a 7-2 team playing UNLV.

It gets harder and harder to believe Menzies will ever figure thing out. This team would lose to last years UNLV team which isn't saying much!
I believe that Rebel-Net fans that have paid the slightest attention to my contributions over these past, difficult seasons of Rebel basketball, might have noted that I usually try to remain as positive as possible. One thing that I’ve rarely, if ever done, is single out any player for their on-floor contributions, or lack thereof. I will now make an exception.

I can’t help but wonder why we seem to go through the same scenario year-after-year. We bring in an experienced point-guard. One with glittering stats, both offensively and defensively impressive. And yet, they arrive at UNLV, and for lack of a gentler description…they suck! Robothem, like those who’ve preceded him, is useless. He generates few assists, has more turnovers, and only occasionally scores a point.

Hardy is frequently out-of-control, and plays too much “street-ball”, but he’s still a much better option than the senior. Start him Coach!
sport-sports-basketball_player-turnover-team-turnovers-bven810_low.jpg

GO REBELS!

Reactions: frock133
I believe that Rebel-Net fans that have paid the slightest attention to my contributions over these past, difficult seasons of Rebel basketball, might have noted that I usually try to remain as positive as possible. One thing that I’ve rarely, if ever done, is single out any player for their on-floor contributions, or lack thereof. I will now make an exception.

I can’t help but wonder why we seem to go through the same scenario year-after-year. We bring in an experienced point-guard. One with glittering stats, both offensively and defensively impressive. And yet, they arrive at UNLV, and for lack of a gentler description…they suck! Robothem, like those who’ve preceded him, is useless. He generates few assists, has more turnovers, and only occasionally scores a point.

Hardy is frequently out-of-control, and plays too much “street-ball”, but he’s still a much better option than the senior. Start him Coach!
sport-sports-basketball_player-turnover-team-turnovers-bven810_low.jpg

GO REBELS!
He’s not a PG. Here he is. Elsewhere he’s not.

He’s not a PG. Here he is. Elsewhere he’s not.
If he’s not a PG, and his shooting is iffy, at best, what’s his value to the team? A lock-down defender? I’m not seeing it.

I was under the impression that he had been a PG at Akron.Your response sent me to a little research. He played 88 games at Akron. He scored 828 points which comes to 9.4 p/pg. He had 294 assists, or 3.34 a/pg. And he committed 143 to’s, for 1.63 to/pg

Meanwhile, in his seven-game UNLV career, prior to today’s loss at Illinois, he scored 42 points, or 6.0 p/pg, 27 assists, for 3.86 a/pg & 13 to’s or 1.86 to’s/pg. I must admit that aside from the points, those other two numbers are not too far off of his career stats.

Today, however, although he managed 2/5 (.400) shooting, including 2/4 from beyond the arc, he posted a whopping zero assists with five turnovers. Ouch!

Perhaps, if he wasn’t expected to be the floor general at Akron, the added pressure may be effecting his shooting touch. I don’t know. But what I’m seeing is that he’s not being a positive force for this team.

I would still prefer to see Amauri get the nod. The experience should serve as a learning experience for him. We’re not going places this season, anyway.

FWIW, I’ll give the Rebels some credit for making a run at the Illini in the closing seconds, but, as I think we all knew in our heart of hearts, it fell short, in the end.

Hey, the MWC looks awfully weak this season (with the exception of that school from our state, that I’ll bet, casual fans assume is us, ha!). Maybe we can surprise in conference. Who knows?
piqr55ybT.gif

GO REBELS!

If he’s not a PG, and his shooting is iffy, at best, what’s his value to the team? A lock-down defender? I’m not seeing it.

I was under the impression that he had been a PG at Akron.Your response sent me to a little research. He played 88 games at Akron. He scored 828 points which comes to 9.4 p/pg. He had 294 assists, or 3.34 a/pg. And he committed 143 to’s, for 1.63 to/pg

Meanwhile, in his seven-game UNLV career, prior to today’s loss at Illinois, he scored 42 points, or 6.0 p/pg, 27 assists, for 3.86 a/pg & 13 to’s or 1.86 to’s/pg. I must admit that aside from the points, those other two numbers are not too far off of his career stats.

Today, however, although he managed 2/5 (.400) shooting, including 2/4 from beyond the arc, he posted a whopping zero assists with five turnovers. Ouch!

Perhaps, if he wasn’t expected to be the floor general at Akron, the added pressure may be effecting his shooting touch. I don’t know. But what I’m seeing is that he’s not being a positive force for this team.

I would still prefer to see Amauri get the nod. The experience should serve as a learning experience for him. We’re not going places this season, anyway.

FWIW, I’ll give the Rebels some credit for making a run at the Illini in the closing seconds, but, as I think we all knew in our heart of hearts, it fell short, in the end.

Hey, the MWC looks awfully weak this season (with the exception of that school from our state, that I’ll bet, casual fans assume is us, ha!). Maybe we can surprise in conference. Who knows?
piqr55ybT.gif

GO REBELS!
I’m not disagreeing with you about his effectiveness. He hasn’t been sharp at all.

Even at Gorman, he was primarily off ball. What’s his value? No real strengths... but he just found ways to win, great attitude and teammate. But he seemed to step up and play well when it was needed most. That was his strength. Not any specific numbers or anything.

Listen, he’s a good kid. But there is a reason he wasn’t offered a spot here out of HS. Now remember, you had Rice/Rice UNLV/Gorman. Noah wouldn’t have played here. But he could play somewhere. Find an appropriate school/conference. He did.

And now he headed back here because he has enough for the current state.

It sucks, but it’s where we are as a program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT