ADVERTISEMENT

A Look at San Jose State

rebelbuck

Retired Number
Aug 14, 2007
SJSU on Defense Rank #117 (236 ypg) against the run and #46 (209 ypg) against the pass. They have given up 38 sacks which is worst in the nation.

On offense they rank 91st Running the ball (149 ypg) and #91 (205 ypg) Throwing the ball , so they are balanced (sarcasm) . Kenny Potter has been banged up all year and his play has been up and down.

Our defense better step up this game and get some stops early to help the offense get going on the road. I also want to see us establish the run early and set up easy throws for Sneed, when we fell into the early hole last week it didnt allow us to do this.

This group bounced back well after poor play at SDSU , lets hope they do the same after an extremely poor half against CSU. A win @ SJSU would be great heading into a much needed bye week and big clash against a tough WYO team.

Reactions: reb4life777
This group bounced back well after poor play at SDSU , lets hope they do the same after an extremely poor half against CSU. A win @ SJSU would be great heading into a much needed bye week and big clash against a tough WYO team.

With the upsurge in recruiting in the New Era, the flashy new uniform combos, the LV-themed field, the added hype, the increased competitiveness, not to mention the additional win(s) per season, it's been easy for us to let our expectations get away from us a little. A roller coaster ride is really what we should be expecting at this point in the CTS regime and that's just what we're getting. We like to think in terms of big steps, but they're only slightly larger baby steps at this time. We should, rightly, expect the steps to be bigger next year, and I'm confident they will be. At this point, tho, no matter how maddening it can be, I'll take "down one week up the next" over "up one week down three weeks."

With the upsurge in recruiting in the New Era, the flashy new uniform combos, the LV-themed field, the added hype, the increased competitiveness, not to mention the additional win(s) per season, it's been easy for us to let our expectations get away from us a little. A roller coaster ride is really what we should be expecting at this point in the CTS regime and that's just what we're getting. We like to think in terms of big steps, but they're only slightly larger baby steps at this time. We should, rightly, expect the steps to be bigger next year, and I'm confident they will be. At this point, tho, no matter how maddening it can be, I'll take "down one week up the next" over "up one week down three weeks."

Agree. I think everybody would agree that the talent level (particularly on offense) is better. What I think we all forget (at least I do at times) is how truly bad we were for all but 1 year of Hauck's tenure.

Reactions: RebelinWA
To play devils advocate: Though the league is worse now than it was with Hauck. Seemingly on a steady decline overall, much like the basketball side.

I do agree that we have improved. Biggest indication is crushing lower division opponents instead of losing or squeaking out wins.

I think the weakness of the league is why I have been somewhat expecting a quick turnaround. It's still not fair. It takes a long time to build a new culture and work in your own players. Even if a good culture and talent base was already there. Nevermind the sh*t show that CTS walked into.

Positives to this point. Despite some youth overall on the O Line we are among the nations leaders in Sacks allowed with 4 through 8 games. We have a top 25 Rushing attack. (9 of our 2 deep on the O Line return, add to that RS Outlaw, Brayton) and this group will only keep improving.

The Run defense has "improved" to 175 ypg against ( a 50 ypg ) improvement through the same point last year. We have surpassed our nations worse 9 sacks last year with 11 on the year with 4 games to add to that #. (still very disappointed with our ability to get pressure without blitzing) I believe this issue will be addressed in recruiting & through some of our Redshirts (Jones, Holloway, Tatum, Iofeta).

With injuries across the WR crew, shuffling at QB we are still taking strides in the right direction. What is frustrating is you can see tangible talent and when things dont go well they seem to snow ball , just where we are as a program. This spring will be very important as Sanchez's first 2 classes will be filling out the depth chart and the team will start to take the shape he envisioned.

All this being said, plenty of room for improvement. My hope is we take care of SJSU any way we can so we have some momentum heading into a needed bye week. 4 Wins heading into the final 3 could set up a very intriguing home date with WYO and an exciting finish to the season.

Last edited:
To play devils advocate: Though the league is worse now than it was with Hauck. Seemingly on a steady decline overall, much like the basketball side.

I do agree that we have improved. Biggest indication is crushing lower division opponents instead of losing or squeaking out wins.

I think the weakness of the league is why I have been somewhat expecting a quick turnaround. It's still not fair. It takes a long time to build a new culture and work in your own players. Even if a good culture and talent base was already there. Nevermind the sh*t show that CTS walked into.

No doubt the league was better.

Like we did against Idaho?
Idaho will be FCS in two years, but until then, we have nothing on them that says we should be better at this point in time. If it were a horse race I'd say we're neck and neck, but we're only on the back stretch.

The current composite rankings have Idaho ranked in front of the following MWC teams:

Fresno St.
San Jose St.
unr
UNLV
Hawaii

Not a good team, but not nearly as bad as people believed they would be with a 4-4 record. It should also be noted that 2 of those teams will play UNLV in the next few weeks.

As for UNLV, this is a total roller coaster ride, which can be expected with the number of fresh/soph who play for the team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT