ADVERTISEMENT

2018 and 2019 Super Cycles for UNLV Recruiting

It's been a long time but being your first post back after long hiatus. Of course it would be of the party pooper version. Your colors don't change my friend. Always got to throw cold water on everything. Thanks.

Guess we know why you aren't coaching the youth of today. I could hear it now. 'Young man, you can work hard but your high school has never produced a D1 scholarship. Work hard, play the game but maintain realistic approach that you are not going to get a recruited'.

Actually, just noting Horton did take the team to a memorable bowl season with Randy Gatewood and Henry Bailey.
He just couldn't build on the momentum along with the move to WAC competition in 1996.
Nothing negative in the post.

Just another note, I work hard to make sure the kids in this state actually have the opportunity to play sports beyond high school. The goal is to make sure doors stay open for any kid in Nevada whether rural or urban.

Will any insight into Jalen Graves, I noticed on twitter looks like some of the coaches are back following him (not that this means much). I know he de-committed from Idaho back in January and was just wondering if possibly a preferred walk-on or if with some of the departures if he might have a ride.

Actually, just noting Horton did take the team to a memorable bowl season with Randy Gatewood and Henry Bailey.
He just couldn't build on the momentum along with the move to WAC competition in 1996.
Nothing negative in the post.

Just another note, I work hard to make sure the kids in this state actually have the opportunity to play sports beyond high school. The goal is to make sure doors stay open for any kid in Nevada whether rural or urban.
Sorry Will. I'm in a shytty mood and I should have held back.

Unless we get in the PAC-12, five star recruits will not consider UNLV. Regarding the PAC-12, recruiting would skyrocket just like it did for Utah. A few years ago, the Utah coach said that most of the players on the roster wouldn't have considered them if they weren't in the PAC-12 and still in the Mountain West.
I'm not wrong at all. The only five star recruit to go to a non-P5 school is Ed Oliver. He went to Houston after they beat Florida State in a NY6 bowl game.

Not wrong regarding what? Most years 1 or 2 5* players have gone to none P-5 schools. Utah, Fresno St, UNLV, unr, and BYU have all had 5* players in the past. Several Florida directional schools have had 5* players, also Houston and Louisville on numerous occasions (review my earlier list). Utah and BYU were both in the MWC at the time.

I do agree that if UNLV could get into the Big12 or Pac12 they would see a drastic improvement in recruiting. More so if in the Pac12 then the Big12.

Not wrong regarding what? Most years 1 or 2 5* players have gone to none P-5 schools. Utah, Fresno St, UNLV, unr, and BYU have all had 5* players in the past. Several Florida directional schools have had 5* players, also Houston and Louisville on numerous occasions (review my earlier list). Utah and BYU were both in the MWC at the time.

I do agree that if UNLV could get into the Big12 or Pac12 they would see a drastic improvement in recruiting. More so if in the Pac12 then the Big12.

He's got a point. It is very rare and usually with special circumstances. Lousiville shouldn't count since they have been in the Big East (which was considered to be a power conference) then w as in the American for a year or 2, but it was announced they were moving to the ACC almost immediately.

Unless we get in the PAC-12, five star recruits will not consider UNLV. Regarding the PAC-12, recruiting would skyrocket just like it did for Utah. A few years ago, the Utah coach said that most of the players on the roster wouldn't have considered them if they weren't in the PAC-12 and still in the Mountain West.
As the son of a Utah family, Coach Whit is saying what he has been told to say by the Utah brass. Actually, Utah recruiting plateaued, albeit at a pretty high level, years ago. They were getting good players when they were in MWC. They're not getting great players or any better player that they got a couple years back. Defensively, they've been getting marginally better players but their offense, especially at WR and QB has become worse. I agree that UNLV will not get a 5* player, but I bet, with a couple winning seasons, they will consider UNLV. The stadium and Complex with a mix of winning will induce any kid to at last think about coming here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT