ADVERTISEMENT

2018 and 2019 Super Cycles for UNLV Recruiting

LasVegasReb

All American
Feb 16, 2005
Bellevue, WA
With construction of Fertitta Football Complex complete and continued progress of Las Vegas Stadium coupled with bowl game next season, I anticipate a super cycle of recruiting to transpire. I think CTS and his coaches are going to progressively sign the best recruiting classes in history of the program.

Evidence already exists that the coaches are aggressively recruiting higher star athletes and the most I've seen ever seen. Even more so that evidence exists that the prospects are more receptive to UNLV recruitment.

Next season there are only 15-16 available scholarships so I anticipate the average star rating to be impacted most rather than cumulative score. UNLV should rank decently among other MWC schools likely higher end along with CSU, SDSU and BSU.

I predict UNLV will sign it's highest individually ranked recruit(s) for 2019. New football complex, playing in Las Vegas Stadium, exposure to the Raiders and playing in the entertainment capital of the world will be a big draw. Bowl game monkey should be off the programs back and won't likely to deter recruits.

Hopefully, UNLV could convince a 5 star to stay home. This would start a domino effect giving other recruits the green light to follow suit.

I'm a wearing scarlet colored glasses? Absolutely, however the signs are all there and point to my conclusions. I would never have made this statement with Hauck or Sanford at the helm. CTS is a great recruiter and so are many of the individuals on the staff. He understands how to sell UNLV and Las Vegas and now he has the pieces to attract a different level of athlete.

UNLV Football's future is bright and I am the most excited I've ever been as a supporter and alum.

I agree, need to make a splash this year imo. Very critical that we do to build the momentum leading up to recruits 2018-2020

Reactions: mvvsmith
Very anxious to see a shovel in the ground for the football complex. I have no idea where they stand with fundraising, if it has stalled somewhat, or what the deal is but, sometimes, it seems less of a reality than the stadium, when it should be on the verge of construction.

With construction of Fertitta Football Complex complete and continued progress of Las Vegas Stadium coupled with bowl game next season, I anticipate a super cycle of recruiting to transpire. I think CTS and his coaches are going to progressively sign the best recruiting classes in history of the program.

Evidence already exists that the coaches are aggressively recruiting higher star athletes and the most I've seen ever seen. Even more so that evidence exists that the prospects are more receptive to UNLV recruitment.

Next season there are only 15-16 available scholarships so I anticipate the average star rating to be impacted most rather than cumulative score. UNLV should rank decently among other MWC schools likely higher end along with CSU, SDSU and BSU.

I predict UNLV will sign it's highest individually ranked recruit(s) for 2019. New football complex, playing in Las Vegas Stadium, exposure to the Raiders and playing in the entertainment capital of the world will be a big draw. Bowl game monkey should be off the programs back and won't likely to deter recruits.

Hopefully, UNLV could convince a 5 star to stay home. This would start a domino effect giving other recruits the green light to follow suit.

I'm a wearing scarlet colored glasses? Absolutely, however the signs are all there and point to my conclusions. I would never have made this statement with Hauck or Sanford at the helm. CTS is a great recruiter and so are many of the individuals on the staff. He understands how to sell UNLV and Las Vegas and now he has the pieces to attract a different level of athlete.

UNLV Football's future is bright and I am the most excited I've ever been as a supporter and alum.

+1

The following from a scout story refers to breaking ground in June. Also, one of the TV reporters, don't remember which one, also mentioned breaking ground in June.

He strongly feels that with the coaching staff he has and the players he is recruiting, they will win a MWC Championship very soon. The whole staff is excited about the new Fertitta Football Complex that will break ground in June along with the new Raiders stadium being built that UNLV will be playing in 2020. Coach Sanchez said Las Vegas is a booming sports market that will be bringing a lot of interest and excitement to all the sports teams in Vegas.

What was from the sun? If you are referring to the information I wrote, that came from a scout story last week and from the news reporter about a week and a half ago.

It sounds like it is a go. I do not believe recruits would mention a June ground break unless the coaches had talked about it during their visits.

Yeah, they have all their ducks in a row towards that end, except one thing- Wins. This season is fairly critical in establishing progress. With so much news made on the facility front, it would be a shame if they posted 4 or 5 wins. I'm not saying they will, it just needs to be said.

A very strong crowd for the opener would be great to see. The Staff has put in the work in making the right strides in building a solid foundation. Be nice to repay them and the players with a huge opening weekend crowd against Howard.

A 2 win start to the season could potentially be huge for bowl eligibility. . I expect this team to want a little payback against Idaho after a tough overtime loss.

Reactions: RebelinWA
I'm coming for the Howard game, don't know the others quite yet. Can't miss the band. One of the biggest pluses of the Sanchez hire was he was local. As we always see from the national media, non Las Vegans don't get the town.

Yeah, they have all their ducks in a row towards that end, except one thing- Wins. This season is fairly critical in establishing progress. With so much news made on the facility front, it would be a shame if they posted 4 or 5 wins. I'm not saying they will, it just needs to be said.
My son and I were talking about this very thing today. 7-8 wins, minimum, would be needed to really capitalize on the momentum that the Raiders, Golden Knights, and even the Runnin' Rebels have generated this year. It's time to put it all on the table, let it ride, and cash in big!

Based on the schedule only reaching 5 wins is a possibility. It would be a letdown to most but in my opinion would still be another step forward. I think people should have realitic goals.

There are 4-5 games on the schedule that are 50/50 games..

Idaho on the road is not an automatic checkmark in the win column. Bowl team last year.

San Jose State is a 50/50 game even though its a home game.

Air Force is always tough. Their offense is difficult to prepare for because nobody else runs it.

New Mexico on the road is a difficult game. I think they have been bowl eligible back to back years. Like Air Force their offense is difficult to prepare for.

BYU at home? Maybe, depends on how their season has gone to that point.

Fresno State on the road? Tough place to play, hired a solid coach. Last years game here was in the balance until Sneed's miracle run seemed to break their will..

Honestly not trying to be negative, but until we do something (win) on a consistent basis, people should temper expectations.[/QUOTE]

Based on the schedule only reaching 5 wins is a possibility. It would be a letdown to most but in my opinion would still be another step forward. I think people should have realitic goals.

There are 4-5 games on the schedule that are 50/50 games..

Idaho on the road is not an automatic checkmark in the win column. Bowl team last year.

San Jose State is a 50/50 game even though its a home game.

Air Force is always tough. Their offense is difficult to prepare for because nobody else runs it.

New Mexico on the road is a difficult game. I think they have been bowl eligible back to back years. Like Air Force their offense is difficult to prepare for.

BYU at home? Maybe, depends on how their season has gone to that point.

Fresno State on the road? Tough place to play, hired a solid coach. Last years game here was in the balance until Sneed's miracle run seemed to break their will..

Honestly not trying to be negative, but until we do something (win) on a consistent basis, people should temper expectations.

I got us at 7 wins but it could easily be 6.

Sep. 2 Howard Bison W (90%)
Saturday Sep. 9 at Idaho Vandals W (70%)
Saturday Sep. 16 OFF
Saturday Sep. 23 at Ohio State Buckeyes L (10%)
Saturday Sep. 30 San Jose State Spartans W (60%)
Saturday Oct. 7 San Diego State Aztecs L (40%)
Saturday Oct. 14 at Air Force Falcons L (50%)
Saturday Oct. 21 Utah State Aggies W (60%)
Saturday Oct. 28 at Fresno State Bulldogs W (50%)
Saturday Nov. 4 Hawaii Rainbow Warriors L (45%)
Friday Nov. 10 BYU Cougars L (30%)
Saturday Nov. 18 at New Mexico Lobos W (45%)
Saturday Nov. 25 at Nevada Wolf Pack W (55%)

I think we beat Hawaii. Seem to always find a way to get them here in Vegas. Idaho, SJSU, Fresno, RENO, Utah State are all teams we will be in tight games with. If our Offense can live up to its potential we are going to put pressure on teams and make a lot of games interesting.
Lets hope we start coming out on top in these "toss up" type games.

I got us at 7 wins but it could easily be 6.

Sep. 2 Howard Bison W (90%)
Saturday Sep. 9 at Idaho Vandals W (70%)
Saturday Sep. 16 OFF
Saturday Sep. 23 at Ohio State Buckeyes L (10%)
Saturday Sep. 30 San Jose State Spartans W (60%)
Saturday Oct. 7 San Diego State Aztecs L (40%)
Saturday Oct. 14 at Air Force Falcons L (50%)
Saturday Oct. 21 Utah State Aggies W (60%)
Saturday Oct. 28 at Fresno State Bulldogs W (50%)
Saturday Nov. 4 Hawaii Rainbow Warriors L (45%)
Friday Nov. 10 BYU Cougars L (30%)
Saturday Nov. 18 at New Mexico Lobos W (45%)
Saturday Nov. 25 at Nevada Wolf Pack W (55%)

Very possible. Its all about breaking through in those 50/50 games....

We won't really be able to understand the team's limitations until the San Jose game. Idaho will be a good pre conference check up, but won't be a real rest of our limitations. They won't be a push over, but I think our offense has too much juice for their defense. I don't care if we win at Ohio, as long as we come out healthy, which is why San Jose will be an important health check.

I'm not worried about the offense as much. Some good D is what will pick off those close games. Gotta wait til practice though to get opinions from you guys. Seems like an eternity, especially with all the positives going on around UNLV. Big sigh

I think at the very least, we will have an exciting team to watch.

So much talent on offense, especially at the skill positions. And a stout O Line. And finally a QB that looks to have the ability to capitalize on it some.

D will be a huge question mark. Seems to have more speed, so hopefully that translates to better play. I think we will get more pressure on the QB and better play in the backfield. Just not sure about overall LB play and stopping the run.

Stopping the run hasn't been the problem, it is the problem with not being able to defend against the pass that has been the problem.

Stopping the run hasn't been the problem, it is the problem with not being able to defend against the pass that has been the problem.

Actually the pass rush was the problem. The Rebels were 16th in the nation in pass completion against last year. Where they struggled was vs the deep ball, which is indicative of zero pass rush. We doubled our sack total from the year before and we were still only 102nd in the nation.

Improved Pass Rush, creating more Turnovers will be the key to this being a Solid/Good season over incremental improvement. I believe we have better athletes and team speed this season. We lost some seasoned players who made a lot of tackles but not very many impactful plays.

Even if we are a bend, dont break kind of Defense that can hold teams to 3's instead of 7's that will work in most of our contests. Really looking forward to camp and how the depth chart shakes out. Most of it is pretty solidified but some battles still left to be won. Lots of youth on Defense so every rep/ film session will count now that 2 a days are no more.

Last edited:
I mentioned defense against the run due to the changes in the LB Corps. Trading a little size (and a lot of experience) for speed can affect the power running defense.

I know our interior line should be better, so that should help.

Five star recruits are not playing in the Mountain West. To think otherwise is living in La La Land.

Prior to the new football stadium, it would be very unlikely to happen at UNLV (4* players have been very rare) , but the new stadium would not only be on par, but better than those at any of the major colleges. In the past UNLV could only schedule major programs (UCLA and Wisconsin being the exception) on the road, now they will have the ability to schedule these teams for home and home games. I can see UNLV as a much more attractive program for 4* players who already come to the MWC on a very limited basis, I can also see UNLV having the ability to snag a 5* player. The most important thing is that UNLV must first become top dog in the MWC and move into the top 25 rankings similar to programs like BSU, SDSU, and even Fresno State in the past.

Five star recruits are not playing in the Mountain West. To think otherwise is living in La La Land.
Yeah as in LV LV Land or Viva Las Vegas land.

I was referring to a local boy staying home. It's possible especially if UNLV strings a couple bowl seasons together.
Unless we get in the PAC-12, five star recruits will not consider UNLV. Regarding the PAC-12, recruiting would skyrocket just like it did for Utah. A few years ago, the Utah coach said that most of the players on the roster wouldn't have considered them if they weren't in the PAC-12 and still in the Mountain West.

Unless we get in the PAC-12, five star recruits will not consider UNLV. Regarding the PAC-12, recruiting would skyrocket just like it did for Utah. A few years ago, the Utah coach said that most of the players on the roster wouldn't have considered them if they weren't in the PAC-12 and still in the Mountain West.

I don't think a 5 star recruit has ever signed with a school outside of the power 5

If there has been, I would imagine maybe Louisville before gaining P5 acceptance most likely?

Only other schools I can think of that might have landed one are..

Houston or Cincy, possibly BYU?

You may by right but 4 star is surely within realm of possibility.

According to Scout, UNLV already had a 5* player back in 2003 - They do not provide the list of players, but I believe that was Alvin Marshall out of Compton, CA

The Big East has had a bunch of players, but I will not list any prior to 2014. It should also be noted that the number of 5* players to none P5 has also dropped in 2010.

2002 Houston, BYU (3), Louisville, Central Florida
2003 BYU, Fresno State, UNLV, unr

This was due to John Robinson - if his wife didn't have health problem UNLV instead of Utah could have been in the Pac12. This is when he brought in a lot of money to UNLV for the stadium expansion that included a much bigger press box/luxury seating area and installation of other facilities at UNLV. After his wife and his health problems, things turned south and stayed south.

2004 Utah
2005 NA
2006 Louisville
2007 Troy
2008 Southern Miss, Utah
2009 Southern Floriday, Utah, Memphis
2010 BYU
2011 NA
2012 Houston
2013 Louisville
2014 NA
2015 Louisville
2016 Houston

Reactions: RebelinWA
Yeah, there is a bigger divide in the past 5-10 years with these inflated TV contracts, giving power schools even more of an advantage.

Also it is worth noting the Louisville joined the ACC in 2014, and the announcement that they were going to join was in 2012.

Houston were coming off a huge Peach bowl win against FSU, and happen to be in one of the biggest recruiting markets, where traditional powers have been down, like UT and even A&M.

I agree that it will be a huge surprise if UNLV ever lands a 5 star. If they ever do, I think it would probably be a local, and it would have to be either coming off a huge season and/or be a special legacy case where there is already a strong UNLV connection.

JRob's first season was 1999, which was also the year SBS got it's big facelift. I kinda remember, soon after his arrival, JRob presiding over the demo of the old pressbox. He gets a lot of credit for the renovations, but it seems to me that, if the reno was done in '99, most of the the heavy lifting and legwork would've had to have been done during Horton's tenure, if not sooner. Anyone with insight into this?

Another thing that really helps recruiting is when a schools players get drafted

JRob's first season was 1999, which was also the year SBS got it's big facelift. I kinda remember, soon after his arrival, JRob presiding over the demo of the old pressbox. He gets a lot of credit for the renovations, but it seems to me that, if the reno was done in '99, most of the the heavy lifting and legwork would've had to have been done during Horton's tenure, if not sooner. Anyone with insight into this?
If you were asking about the Cunningham years, I would remmember, the Horton years, not so memorable.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
It's been a long time but being your first post back after long hiatus. Of course it would be of the party pooper version. Your colors don't change my friend. Always got to throw cold water on everything. Thanks.

Guess we know why you aren't coaching the youth of today. I could hear it now. 'Young man, you can work hard but your high school has never produced a D1 scholarship. Work hard, play the game but maintain realistic approach that you are not going to get a recruited'.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT