ADVERTISEMENT

2015 Duke Versus 2015 UNLV

VegasRebellion

Starter
Oct 3, 2009
In celebration of Coach K's 1,000 wins--since everyone thinks our team is so phenomenal on paper, and that Rice must be a horrible coach--let's see exactly how this assertion measures up (according to the same ESPN rankings everyone assumes must be accurate).

2015 Duke Center
Freshman Okafor
#1 recruit of class, 98 grade on ESPN 100

2015 UNLV Center
Freshman Okonoboh
#26 recruit of class, 92 grade on ESPN 100

Advantage: Duke (significant)

2015 Duke Point Guard
Freshman Jones
#4 recruit of class, 97 grade on ESPN 100

2015 UNLV Point Guard
Senior Doolin
Unranked, 83 grade

2015 Duke Small Forward
Freshman Winslow
#15 recruit of class, 95 grade on ESPN 100

2015 UNLV Forward
Freshman Morgan
#39 recruit of class, 87 grade on ESPN 100

2015 Duke Guard
Senior Cook
#38 recruit of class, 96 grade on ESPN 100

2015 UNLV Guard
Freshman Vaughn
#13 recruit of class, 93 grade on ESPN 100

Advantage: UNLV (significant, for a reason that shall be explained shortly)

2015 Duke Forward
Junior Jefferson
#25 96 grade on ESPN 100

2015 UNLV Forward
Sophomore Wood
#71 85 grade on ESPN 100

(significant, for the aforementioned reason that would be explained, as Rice is obviously much better at utilizing talent at the Sophomore level than Coach K would be after an entire extra year developing and getting to know the strengths and weaknesses of a player with significantly more potential)

2015 Duke Bench
(Rashad Vaughn would probably be on it)

2015 UNLV Bench
(I'll be nice)

This post was edited on 1/27 12:04 PM by VegasRebellion

Actually, if you read my post, I said I think Rice is a better coach--given his players. The only players that are worth their weight are Vaughn and Wood, which Rice understands, which is why they get the ball so much. We're weak at the point guard position as well, which is more or less the quarterback of basketball, and everyone wants to pin the blame on Rice. Maybe the simple fact of the matter is that the team isn't that good and we have impatient fans with unreasonable expectations. Tough to recruit for people like that. All I'm saying.
smile.r191677.gif

as an evaluator of talent, specifically PG, Rice sucks balls.

here is who has decided should be our PG:

Marshall - wrong, he was an undersized PF
R. Smith - no court time
K Smith - lol, he is terrible at everything but rebounding for a guard
Reinhardt - the next Jimmer Jammer....okay
Dev Smith - great dribbler
Cook - only one that has ANY vision, but gets zero court time
Doolin - good dribbler that plays way too safe, lack of defense
D Walker - forever a PG that has been converted to a midget 2G

so either he has no idea what a good PG is or he can't develop them. he or Augmon is developing our bigs because they consistently have gotten better.

Mccaw and Goodluck take issue with you saying Vaughn and Wood are the only players worth their weight. I dont know why you started this thread. Almost every point you are trying to make is incorrect and ridiculous. Duke has better talent than us and a tougher schedule and a better record. What about that points to Dave Rice being a better coach? Because Rebel fans are unrealistic? That does not make sense.

PG continues to be a problem for us but the last 2 years all we heard from CDR was how nice it will be to have a true PG finally. Everyone likes to retroactively hate on Anthony Marshall for some reason but we would so much better off with him at the point. Last year we heard about Deville Smith being the savior but he was only looking to create for himself and couldnt run an offense. This year we got "Senior Leader Experienced Coach on the Floor" Cody Doolin who is absolutely a disappointment in basically every aspect. I would argue he is actually a TERRIBLE ball handler who refuses to drive inside the key or to break a press. Other than never looking for his own shot, never creating offense for anyone else, not rebounding, not playing defense, committing stupid fouls, turning the ball over at an alarming pace, and getting his layups swatted into the student section....hes been all we could have hoped for.

If duke were willing to trade us their coach for ours so they have the better coach in CDR I would accept their gracious offer immediately.

On a side note, Nigerian currency by the same measure is better than US dollars so if you have any you want to trade just let me know

I would certainly classify Doolins lack of ball handling skills and turnover rate as "alarming" for a senior point guard who was supposed to be the savior for Dave Rices offense and who had 3 years experience running the point in college. Mccaw might turn it over more but I wouldnt consider it alarming because he is a freshman and shows flashes that he can penetrate and break a press. Doolin just dribbles outside the perimeter and yells instructions. Anyone could do that including Dantley. I dont want Doolin yelling instructions anymore. Im bout that action boss

Doolin is 14th in the country at aasist to turnover rate. I stopped reading after your first sentence Bwrek.

I actually prefer Mccaw in the game at this point but only because he fits better with the style of play we use.

Doolin may not always be a great fit for this team but your statements are way off base.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Man Doolin killed it last night vs UNR. If he wasnt bricking free throws he was fouling people left and right. Oh but I guess his assist to turnover ratio was infiniti so he had a good game. If all i did was stand outside the 3 pt line and pass it to another guard standing next to me my A:T ratio would be infiniti too

Comparing Rice to Coach K? I understand the comparison if we lost to Duke since they have higher ranked players. What about comparing player for player with Reno, Boise, Wyoming, Teams we lost to. I think our player to player comparison wouldn't even be close so??

I feel Doolin has lost some confidence, at beginning of season he was a little more aggressive and tried to drive the ball once in awhile and create something. He now just stands behind the 3 point line and passes to guard next to him. He doesn't even attempt to make an entry pass. Wood wanted the ball in the post a few times and Cody didn't even look at him or attempt a pass to him. team much better with McCaw running it. Would like to see Walker get a few of Doolins minutes. If Walker does worst than Doolin then pull him but, why not give him a shot since Doolin not doing much?

Great to hear Wood and Goodluck make the comments I knew we where going to win. Hope that a sign of confidence and feeling more comfortable as a team.

Best play of the game: Doolin near the corner, drives, waits for Wood's guy to commit to him, kicks it out to Wood to seal the win.

Doolin did do that. Was glad he did cause everyone else was standing around. Not saying Doolin never makes a good play but, for the amount of minutes he plays he doesn't create much for being the primary ball handler and PG. I like the kid just wish he would be a little more aggressive.

There's really just a lot of standing around in general. It's been that way for a couple years now, where the players are relying on playmakers to iso. If you want to know why Rashad was quiet last night, he had someone close to him all game to deny him the ball as much as possible and he doesn't move very well off the ball. Cornish could really be that difference maker as a slashing guard, and Wood still hovers around the 3pt line most of the time. I don't have a big problem with that when Okonoboh is taking up the room, but on a high screen, they should shift cause Wood can hit the pick and pop outside shot better. Anyway, just my $.02

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT