ADVERTISEMENT

2 more players + 1 + another Wednesday 6-19 per Sanchez!

I have been waiting to see who would be the final recruits for UNLV’s 2019 class. I have been expecting 1 more contributor on the defensive side for the upcoming season, however I thought they only had 1 spot open. D-Line is where I feel they need the most help. Let’s hope whoever the recruits are they make an impact.
It’s been Tony’s best class, but will it be enough.

I have been waiting to see who would be the final recruits for UNLV’s 2019 class. I have been expecting 1 more contributor on the defensive side for the upcoming season, however I thought they only had 1 spot open. D-Line is where I feel they need the most help. Let’s hope whoever the recruits are they make an impact.
It’s been Tony’s best class, but will it be enough.

I haven't seen any indication if the additions are for the '19 or the '20 class. I'm hoping for '19 because we could use a few key additions.

I'm not sure of the scholarship count. When you were estimating 1 spot open, was that before the recent departure of Donovan Outlaw?

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I wasn’t aware of Donovan Outlaw’s departure (was there any reason given as to why?)
It’s been hard to keep track on the exact number with what I believe now is two players leaving, transfers coming in that may have to sit out a year thereby not counting for this year’s spots, so I am not sure on that count.
I was thinking that these latest signees were for this year. We should find out soon.

I haven't seen any indication if the additions are for the '19 or the '20 class. I'm hoping for '19 because we could use a few key additions.

I'm not sure of the scholarship count. When you were estimating 1 spot open, was that before the recent departure of Donovan Outlaw?

Outlaw gone may have opened one up..

I wasn’t aware of Donovan Outlaw’s departure (was there any reason given as to why?)
It’s been hard to keep track on the exact number with what I believe now is two players leaving, transfers coming in that may have to sit out a year thereby not counting for this year’s spots, so I am not sure on that count.
I was thinking that these latest signees were for this year. We should find out soon.

A lot of times they don't divulge the reasons for the departure to protect the player.

Staff no longer wants the player on team for infractions, but they don't want to make it difficult for them to find a landing spot.

That's the case here..

Thats a surprise. He list his new location as Flagstaff.

When he went into the transfer portal last month it looked like there was interest with SUU and NAU. So Flagstaff makes sense. Those Big Sky schools also made it look less like shopping for a better opportunity and more like a necessary move.

So what’s the word, are these guys playing this year or next. We could obviously use some immediate help in key positions on defense so I am hoping both are impact defensive 2019 players.

Offensively it is all going to boil down to Armani. If he can hit the touch passes, if the coaching staff gives him some easy relief passes when his primary receiver doesn’t open up and if he can remain injury free we are gonna score enough points to win most games provided the defense can step up a little bit.

I am not sure that I have enough confidence in CTS to make a change at QB if Armani isn’t getting the job done so CTS and his coaching staff have to have a plan in place to help Armani be successful and remain healthy which means he can’t be our primary running option this year.

If CTS changes quarterback, CTS will be changing jobs.
And by the same token he will be changing jobs if he sticks with a QB that isn’t getting the job done. Armani has had 2 seasons to show us what he’s got and so far other than a few brief moments he has been highly disappointing. Hopefully he puts it all together this year but if not maybe CTS will be riding Armani down to Flagstaff with CMM next year if they have a football team!

And by the same token he will be changing jobs if he sticks with a QB that isn’t getting the job done. Armani has had 2 seasons to show us what he’s got and so far other than a few brief moments he has been highly disappointing. Hopefully he puts it all together this year but if not maybe CTS will be riding Armani down to Flagstaff with CMM next year if they have a football team!
I thought Grand Canyon State was in Phoenix? Misnomer of course.

Don’t bag on Menchies like that. He was a really strong coach. Had UNLV on the brink of a major breakthrough.

I thought Grand Canyon State was in Phoenix? Misnomer of course.

Don’t bag on Menchies like that. He was a really strong coach. Had UNLV on the brink of a major breakthrough.
Not sure where he is but Flagstaff is what came to mind. I am probably wrong! I just hope CTS isn’t wrong about Armani cause he sure seems to have all his chips riding on him.

CTS has hitched his wagon to the Armani star. Unless there’s an injury he’s our qb. Stop the conversation.

CTS has hitched his wagon to the Armani star. Unless there’s an injury he’s our qb. Stop the conversation.
Sure thing boss, in the future please let me know in advance what is acceptable topics of discussion for you. Or maybe you could contribute to the discussion instead of just trying to shut it down. Your choice!

Pulling Armani is like the Packers pulling Rogers or the Steelers pulling Big Ben or the Lions pulling Fat Matt. My opinion, it won’t happen absent an injury.

If CTS changes quarterback, CTS will be changing jobs.

Gilliam was far from great last year but is serviceable. He wasn't very good this spring either.

Outside of the Reno game last season Armani didn't exactly light it up either. Even in his 'Good games' against an FCS school and UTEP he struggled with accuracy.

His completion percentage hovered around 50%.

If he isn't close to 60% this year Sanchez will be looking for another job.

Pulling Armani is like the Packers pulling Rogers or the Steelers pulling Big Ben or the Lions pulling Fat Matt. My opinion, it won’t happen absent an injury.
I am not sure that is a good analogy although CTS seems to subscribe to it. Big Ben and Rogers have each have led their teams to Super Bowl victories and Armani is yet to lead the Rebs to a 500 record in the mighty Mountain West Conference.

I am pulling for Armani to have a break out year and to lead the Rebs to a bowl game because I am a Rebel fan and go to every game I can make every year for decades. For that to happen Armani’s touch needs to improve and he needs to have a check down receiver out of the backfield so he doesn’t have to take off running every time he can’t find a receiver. He doesn’t need to be great with his arm, just adequate and let his legs be the last option so he can stay healthy.

Hopefully the Reno game is an indication of what is to come this year!

I am not sure that is a good analogy although CTS seems to subscribe to it. Big Ben and Rogers have each have led their teams to Super Bowl victories and Armani is yet to lead the Rebs to a 500 record in the mighty Mountain West Conference.

I am pulling for Armani to have a break out year and to lead the Rebs to a bowl game because I am a Rebel fan and go to every game I can make every year for decades. For that to happen Armani’s touch needs to improve and he needs to have a check down receiver out of the backfield so he doesn’t have to take off running every time he can’t find a receiver. He doesn’t need to be great with his arm, just adequate and let his legs be the last option so he can stay healthy.

Hopefully the Reno game is an indication of what is to come this year!

We have the receivers, that isn't the problem. Collins is a good check down type, Woods too, and I'm not sure if any of the backs are legit receiving threats.

The problem has been "check down" isn't a part of AR's vocabulary. It seems like he has one read and that's it. Then he's a RB.

Bull wil probably come and say that most college offenses/QBs do not have multiple reads. But they have more than 1. AR needs to be able to stay in the pocket a couple more beats and scan the field before he takes off. We should have the O line to help him out in that regard.

It doens't have to lead the MW in passing yards, but a more balanced attack or at least threat is absolutely necessary for this offense to be really good. Especially with a suspect defense.

We have the receivers, that isn't the problem. Collins is a good check down type, Woods too, and I'm not sure if any of the backs are legit receiving threats.

The problem has been "check down" isn't a part of AR's vocabulary. It seems like he has one read and that's it. Then he's a RB.

Bull wil probably come and say that most college offenses/QBs do not have multiple reads. But they have more than 1. AR needs to be able to stay in the pocket a couple more beats and scan the field before he takes off. We should have the O line to help him out in that regard.

It doens't have to lead the MW in passing yards, but a more balanced attack or at least threat is absolutely necessary for this offense to be really good. Especially with a suspect defense.

It really is as simple as this....

Armani will see a lot of favorable coverages because of UNLV's ability to run the ball. This will be especially true on 1st down and 2nd and 6 yards or less. Teams will stack the box or leave a spy on Armani taking a defender out of coverage.

If Armani is able to hit some early throws, particularly on 1st down vs favorable coverages, teams will be forced to back off, which should allow the running game to dominate.

If he can't, the offense will be forced to rely on more designed QB runs and Armani's ability to scramble and turn nothing into something and hope he stays healthy.

For what it's worth, good to see Sanchez and staff still hitting the recruiting hard and landing what look to be promising additions.

He's done a good job considering his future at UNLV hinges on this upcoming season. I'm sure other schools are using his lack of job security against him..

Beating out byu for a recruit is always good, but beating out Auburn of the SEC is great!

This player put UNLV in second in the MWC recruiting class for 2020. Whoever is the third recruit will put UNLV in first for the MWC.

Last edited:
Yup! That make 3 in the last two days!
Coach Tony Sanchez‏Verified account@UNLVSanchez 3h3 hours ago
#HeyReb
1f534.png
26ab.png

looks like we beat out Southern Utah?
6'3" 260lb rising senior - I'd imagine he'll get a couple more offers. Not like we'd be beating upper MWC or P5 schools for him, but I'd tend to agree with keeping local kids (especially if they can contribute). Something to be said about keeping the pipeline open, too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT