ADVERTISEMENT

2 more games....

run'em_out'a_here

National Player of the Year
Nov 15, 2012
So we got BYU, UNM, and UNR remaining on our schedule. I believe we can beat all 3 teams, no guaranteed losses so to speak. Unfortunately, that is not always the case with this team. Which 2 teams do you think we will win out? I got BYU and UNR

I think they should win out. Please play Stanton at QB and not at LB though!

We could easily beat all 3 teams. However....we lost to Howard..we could lose to all 3 teams too. on paper, it is the easiest part of our schedule. All 3 teams have pretty much stunk it up this year. Hopefully we win at least 2 out of 3 !!

Also 7-5 should clinch a bowl. I don’t know about 6-6. Just win out at this point.

6-6 wont get a bowl game. That loss to Howard is too harmful. Pretty much back to the wall...

UNLV can and will probably beat Reno and BYU. New Mexico will be tough.

6-6 wont get a bowl game. That loss to Howard is too harmful. Pretty much back to the wall...

From what I understand they have to win 7 games. Look at all the teams in the MWC that will be bowl eligible. A 6-6 will not get it done for this team.

From what I understand they have to win 7 games. Look at all the teams in the MWC that will be bowl eligible. A 6-6 will not get it done for this team.
I think so. Had we lose to AFA but then beat SDSU, yeah 6-6 would have gotten UNLV a bowl game. The losses are too weird and unexpected..

I think they should win out. Please play Stanton at QB and not at LB though!
At this point, JS is the better option at QB. That means we can expect to see a lot of Armani if Johnny is effective. That's just the way this staff operates. If it works, go away from it. "Hey, look! Stanton's playing great. Let's put Armani in." "The middle is open all day. Let's start working the sidelines."

Reactions: unlv91
At this point, JS is the better option at QB. That means we can expect to see a lot of Armani if Johnny is effective. That's just the way this staff operates. If it works, go away from it.

You never know what this staff will do. I wish they had gone with Stanton at the beginning of the year. I would take a 6-6 season and a red cannon at this point.

UNLV can and will probably beat Reno and BYU. New Mexico will be tough.

UNM will be the easiest game of the 3 left. They have a ton of turmoil inside the program and have quit on Davie. I just think they are tanking to get him fired. They are 3-6 and play at Texas A&M next week before us. They will be bowl ineligible with nothing to play for with a coach they want fired. I think we win that game easily.

Reactions: mvvsmith
One game at a time, team has to learned how to win the games they should win 1st, the losing for the last 25 years has been dreadful. 4-5 now with BYU next, just win then you move on.

UNM will be the easiest game of the 3 left. They have a ton of turmoil inside the program and have quit on Davie. I just think they are tanking to get him fired. They are 3-6 and play at Texas A&M next week before us. They will be bowl ineligible with nothing to play for with a coach they want fired. I think we win that game easily.

They cannot afford to take Unr lightly either. They will be basically playing for the cannon. It will also be cold up there.

One game at a time, team has to learned how to win the games they should win 1st, the losing for the last 25 years has been dreadful. 4-5 now with BYU next, just win then you move on.

That is the best way to look at it. We haven’t beaten BYU in a while. Focus on that for the Friday night contest on ESPN2.

A win out is definitely a possibility. Hopefully, we already found the magic potion and get this team undefeated with the remaining games

You guys are funny. Get to a bowl , lose money, with a totally mediocre team. Let"s get to a bowl when we are good. Used to be 9-2 or better got you to a meaningful game ...

You guys are funny. Get to a bowl , lose money, with a totally mediocre team. Let"s get to a bowl when we are good. Used to be 9-2 or better got you to a meaningful game ...

Yeah and there used to be only 32 teams in the NCAA tournament too. So what? The play the games let's go to one. An extra month of practice with a young team is huge.

They cannot afford to take Unr lightly either. They will be basically playing for the cannon. It will also be cold up there.

Why would you ever take your rival lightly? Especially after last year they should be ready to kill UNR! If not they have no heart or balls. After that humiliation and with a possible bowl on the line I would expect max effort.

Reactions: Sam-I-am
Why would you ever take your rival lightly? Especially after last year they should be ready to kill UNR! If not they have no heart or balls. After that humiliation and with a possible bowl on the line I would expect max effort.

I said the because reno has one win over Idaho St. They should be ready to go up there and destroy them!! Last year was terrible

If you look at all of the NCAA records right now, there is a good possibility that there won't be enough 6 win teams to fill all of the bowls this season. Two years ago, there were 4 teams playing in bowls with 5-7 records. Three of them won. Heck, Nebraska beat an 8 win UCLA team in the Foster Farm's Bowl in San Fran. We have a pretty good shot at 6-6.

Last edited:
Reactions: bcvegaspt

Who cares if we lose money. We’re there like 117 tickets sold to Unlv for the last bowl game? Let’s go bowling!

Reactions: rebelfan1969
I said the because reno has one win over Idaho St. They should be ready to go up there and destroy them!! Last year was terrible

Yeah, I got it. My point is reno never takes us lightly, they always play for blood. We don't just like last season.

With SDSU losing to Fresno, it probably takes them out of contention for a NY6 bowl. That is one less bowl to go around for MW teams.

UNLV may not be a great option due to our poor following, even at 6-6. I could see some 5-7 teams getting picked over us if all of the other MW tie in games are selected.

I agree that they should accept any bowl invite they could get, even if it does lose money. Any bowl game is significant given our history. Also extra practice is huge.

I mean, because of the number of bowl games, won't all 6-6 teams get in? I guess it depends, but .... well wait, I just interrupted myself and looked at all team records in MWC. If teams that have 4 wins or more right now end up 6-6 or better, mathematically MWC will overshoot its bowl ties. That could be bad for us...

I agree that they should accept any bowl invite they could get, even if it does lose money. Any bowl game is significant given our history. Also extra practice is huge.

To me, this is a no brainer. Teams get better that week because you get two weeks of practice that otherwise you wouldn't get. With a primarily young team, that's huge.

Reactions: rebelfan1969
The funny thing is that San Diego State beat both Arizona St and Stanford, and it is likely at least one and maybe both will get better bowl games without better records.

Yeah and there used to be only 32 teams in the NCAA tournament too. So what? The play the games let's go to one. An extra month of practice with a young team is huge.
Good point with the extra game and practice !

I mean, because of the number of bowl games, won't all 6-6 teams get in? I guess it depends, but .... well wait, I just interrupted myself and looked at all team records in MWC. If teams that have 4 wins or more right now end up 6-6 or better, mathematically MWC will overshoot its bowl ties. That could be bad for us...

To me, this is a no brainer. Teams get better that week because you get two weeks of practice that otherwise you wouldn't get. With a primarily young team, that's huge.
It doesn’t matter if it’s a money drain. It’s not a HUGE money drain and the benefits make it an investment really. You need something to hang your hat on, going from four wins to bowl is huge no matter the bowl. The extra practice is huge. Builds up some goodwill with fans. It shows progress.

You cannot say no. If you are Alabama and you finish 500 and decide not to go to the Tidy Bowl because the team was a bunch of crap heads, you can do that. Expectations are higher. With what Sanchez is trying to do here, you accept it as a building block, a sign of progress. It is absolutely a no brainer.

Reactions: UNLVbro
With SDSU losing to Fresno, it probably takes them out of contention for a NY6 bowl. That is one less bowl to go around for MW teams.

UNLV may not be a great option due to our poor following, even at 6-6. I could see some 5-7 teams getting picked over us if all of the other MW tie in games are selected.

Great point about SDSU taking a MW Bowl instead of a NY6. About going 6-6, I believe a 6-6 team has to be picked before any 5-7 team.

It doesn’t matter if it’s a money drain. It’s not a HUGE money drain and the benefits make it an investment really. You need something to hang your hat on, going from four wins to bowl is huge no matter the bowl. The extra practice is huge. Builds up some goodwill with fans. It shows progress.

I'm with you 100%, it's a no brainer. Accept any bid if you're invited. I'm just worried that UNLV won't get one because the conference will overshoot its bowl tie-ins. UNLV has gotta be the least desirable team in conference for a bowl committee, no? Maybe Hawaii, depending where the game is held.

UNLV goes 6-6 and they will go to a bowl game. Last year only 75 teams met qualifications of winning at least 6 games (one lower division game can count if they are a qualifying program - not all lower division wins are qualifying) while not having a losing record, while 80 spots were available for bowl games. Some of those teams that did qualify draw even less than UNLV which would mean even less teams in front of UNLV. They can also take teams that go 6-7 but lost one of the games in a conference championship game) After all those qualifying teams are placed in bowl games, then they can pick from provisional programs as follows:

1. Teams that finished 6-6, but had a win over an unqualified I-AA school.

2. Teams that finished 6-6, but have two wins over I-AA schools.

3. Teams that finished 6-7 in a regular, 13-game schedule.

4. Teams that are in the process of reclassifying to I-A and finish with a record that would have made them eligible otherwise.

5. Teams that finish 5-7 in APR order.

Based on all of these conditions, I find it highly unlikely that UNLV would get left out if they go 6-6.

Teams that went 6-6 last year that I believe UNLV would have a chance to be picked before if they can show fans will buy tickets (UNLV had 2-3 thousand go down for the UCLA game last year - must be a bowl game near LV area):

UTSA 23K attendance (2016)
Louisiana Lafeyette (20K)
Miami (17K)
South Alabama (16K)

Following teams could not go until all eligible teams are picked for bowl games:

Hawaii 6-7
Mississippi State 5-7
North Texas 5-7

There also must have been two other teams that qualified based on the above provisions for a total of 5 teams that would not be eligible until after UNLV was picked for a bowl game.

Based on the fact that the last several years have included teams that draw less than UNLV, and teams that would not qualify in front of UNLV, I really see very little possibility that UNLV is left out if they go 6-6

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT