ADVERTISEMENT

Worst blowout ever at the T&M

Worst blowout at the T&M

• Bearcats with Pete Michael Kenyan Martin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • USC?? Forget which year..Harold Minor??

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • AFA 2024

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RebelScrub

Making UNLV relevent again for locals
May 29, 2001
Well, off the top of my head that I’ve attended..

I think the USC game was under Spoon, that’s when Vince, can’t remember his poster name, threw a soda on the court … he wasn’t pissed at the refs. He was pissed we didn’t compete. I remember their press swallowed us at half court. But that was a 20-30 pt game.

The Reno loss was shameful, just like the AFA. Not a home game, but home city, the Duke game kinda smacked you in the face how badly we sucked. I think Duke Marved us by 48. I didn’t, but I wanted to walk out.

Reactions: Takethat702
I think the USC game was under Spoon, that’s when Vince, can’t remember his poster name, threw a soda on the court … he wasn’t pissed at the refs. He was pissed we didn’t compete. I remember their press swallowed us at half court. But that was a 20-30 pt game.

The Reno loss was shameful, just like the AFA. Not a home game, but home city, the Duke game kinda smacked you in the face how badly we sucked. I think Duke Marved us by 48. I didn’t, but I wanted to walk out.
Cincy beat us around 20 and we thought we had a chance because it was relatively tight around halftime. But they were soooooo much better than us and just gave us a couple jabs in the second half and we were down for the count. I remember Satterfield and Logan, Leavitt I think …

When Minor was at SC wasn’t that a NIT game and JR was suspended for turning in a menopause paper written by someone else? UNLV was ranked and snubbed by the NCAA selection committee.

A good Minor story was when he showed Hinton the team hotel in Long Beach

Who was the UNLV PG that year Dedan?
Yep. On paper, UNLV had a really nice team. Really nice. Definite top 25, which they were. JR was a lottery pick, Evric was fringe NBA, Dexter was a really good wing (fringe NBA), Dedan was solid as hell at point, then you had Reggie M and Kenny G (not a great player but unbelievable shooter). They just had no bench and lots of inexperience beyond the guys mentioned above. Fred H flat out sucked, he was supposed to be a savior big, Danny G - no clue how he had HS accolades, he sucked too … Lawrence Thomas (backup PG from NJ was ok, but he was a really green freshman), Damian Smith wasn’t a contributor as a freshman, grew into an impact player for Bayno …. Can’t remember the players beyond that because they were zero contributors, I do recall Clint Claussen as one of them, passed away at a young age about 10 years ago ….

Rollie was an awful coach. First team in history to be ranked and miss the NCAAT. Not only that, they were ranked in the top 25 from preseason and every single week until the season ended … I think they started around 20, ended at 24/25 and reached as high as … maybe top 10 after JR demolished a ranked Georgetown on national TV (back then national TV was real national TV, everyone saw the game) … that team might have lost 5 of their last 10 games causing the drop in the rankings and “last 10 games” was emphasized by the committee a lot more back then …. It ended up a bad season, a lot of fans had a bad taste in their mouth because Rollie was nearly universally hated in Vegas (most would be following Tark) … but Rollie was conceited and holier than thou, abrasive, dishonest, poor style of play (we weren’t the fricking “Flyin’ Rebels”). Playing the Godfather theme instead of the Jaws theme turned my stomach. Everything about that hire was wrong. If a movie is ever made about his life and winning the NC at Nova, Danny Devito gets the part. The best part of Rollie was Jay Wright was his assistant and you couldn’t forecast his stardom back then. At the time you could tell that Tommy Massimino was a nepotistic hire, another flaming pile right there ….

But the Hikers and other academic teacher type geeks were happy with the hire because they knew they killed the program with his hire. I don’t think that they could have guessed it would remain in limbo (primarily) for the next three plus decades.

Job well done, Maxson and Hikers and James Deacons and Finfrocks and Bookes and Wynnes ….. fu you all.

Yep. On paper, UNLV had a really nice team. Really nice. Definite top 25, which they were. JR was a lottery pick, Evric was fringe NBA, Dexter was a really good wing (fringe NBA), Dedan was solid as hell at point, then you had Reggie M and Kenny G (not a great player but unbelievable shooter). They just had no bench and lots of inexperience beyond the guys mentioned above. Fred H flat out sucked, he was supposed to be a savior big, Danny G - no clue how he had HS accolades, he sucked too … Lawrence Thomas (backup PG from NJ was ok, but he was a really green freshman), Damian Smith wasn’t a contributor as a freshman, grew into an impact player for Bayno …. Can’t remember the players beyond that because they were zero contributors, I do recall Clint Claussen as one of them, passed away at a young age about 10 years ago ….

Rollie was an awful coach. First team in history to be ranked and miss the NCAAT. Not only that, they were ranked in the top 25 from preseason and every single week until the season ended … I think they started around 20, ended at 24/25 and reached as high as … maybe top 10 after JR demolished a ranked Georgetown on national TV (back then national TV was real national TV, everyone saw the game) … that team might have lost 5 of their last 10 games causing the drop in the rankings and “last 10 games” was emphasized by the committee a lot more back then …. It ended up a bad season, a lot of fans had a bad taste in their mouth because Rollie was nearly universally hated in Vegas (most would be following Tark) … but Rollie was conceited and holier than thou, abrasive, dishonest, poor style of play (we weren’t the fricking “Flyin’ Rebels”). Playing the Godfather theme instead of the Jaws theme turned my stomach. Everything about that hire was wrong. If a movie is ever made about his life and winning the NC at Nova, Danny Devito gets the part. The best part of Rollie was Jay Wright was his assistant and you couldn’t forecast his stardom back then. At the time you could tell that Tommy Massimino was a nepotistic hire, another flaming pile right there ….

But the Hikers and other academic teacher type geeks were happy with the hire because they knew they killed the program with his hire. I don’t think that they could have guessed it would remain in limbo (primarily) for the next three plus decades.

Job well done, Maxson and Hikers and James Deacons and Finfrocks and Bookes and Wynnes ….. fu you all.
My memory from back then is bad, but I thought we missed the NCAAs due to some time of probation from the leaked practice tapes under Tark? Though I also remember being pissed that we missed the tournament too, but I was pretty young, so my retroactive brain filled in the blanks and thought it was a probationary period. We just missed it?

My memory from back then is bad, but I thought we missed the NCAAs due to some time of probation from the leaked practice tapes under Tark? Though I also remember being pissed that we missed the tournament too, but I was pretty young, so my retroactive brain filled in the blanks and thought it was a probationary period. We just missed it?
Tark’s last team, the 26-2 team that was highly ranked, was on probation. Rollies first team, the team I’m mentioning above, was eligible for it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT