ADVERTISEMENT

Time to start the coaching search

How does that work? Sometimes things come along in my admin and I just click approve. Do you nominate a thread? Or?
Just type and press Post reply. Not a judge or jury. Interested in others thoughts as are most who post on this forum.

Jay Wright would be amazing, but that feels out of reach to me. He accomplished so much at Villanova and if he chose to come out of retirement he could pick any school to reignite his coaching career. Why would choose UNLV? Outside of a couple years as an assistant and some interviews where he speaks fondly of the tradition and memories of the program; is there anything else? We sure as hell couldn’t pay him what he’s worth, is he coming out of retirement for a passion project? I hate to refer to our program as such, but for a coach with his pedigree, that’s exactly what it would be.

What are some realistic options that fits the mold of what Harper looked for in a football coach? Chris Mack? His recording of an unruly assistant is a little sketchy but I haven’t actually read about what happened in detail. He had a ton of success at Xavier and I think he would be a home run hire. I would imagine he comes into any program with a chip on his shoulder with how everything went down at Louisville.

Jay Wright would be amazing, but that feels out of reach to me. He accomplished so much at Villanova and if he chose to come out of retirement he could pick any school to reignite his coaching career. Why would choose UNLV? Outside of a couple years as an assistant and some interviews where he speaks fondly of the tradition and memories of the program; is there anything else? We sure as hell couldn’t pay him what he’s worth, is he coming out of retirement for a passion project? I hate to refer to our program as such, but for a coach with his pedigree, that’s exactly what it would be.

What are some realistic options that fits the mold of what Harper looked for in a football coach? Chris Mack? His recording of an unruly assistant is a little sketchy but I haven’t actually read about what happened in detail. He had a ton of success at Xavier and I think he would be a home run hire. I would imagine he comes into any program with a chip on his shoulder with how everything went down at Louisville.

Jay Wright is only 61 I believe. He was still at the top of his game and I think he retired because he got bored. He had built Villanova from the ground up into a NCAA champion and there wasnt much else to do. He takes a nice year off, works the TV circuit and gets back into building a champion elsewhere. and while its true that he could go anywhere, resurrecting UNLV, where he was an assistant just after the glory years, where there is still name recognition... Sounds like a great way to spend the next 10 years...

Yeah Wright isn't happening. Mack would be a good one though, a good coach with a little stink on him is our best bet. And what Mack did isn't Dave Bliss level so he would be palatable to the PC crowd.

So, I looked up Chris Mack. With his Louisville termination they are paying him $133,000 per month for three years. What I can't find is if that payout only continues if he is unemployed. He might make more money not working than he would get at UNLV.

So, I looked up Chris Mack. With his Louisville termination they are paying him $133,000 per month for three years. What I can't find is if that payout only continues if he is unemployed. He might make more money not working than he would get at UNLV.
Mack said no when asked. He think he is too good for UNLV when he was Xavier. No! No Sir! Will probably a good fit. I dont want a desperate coach coming to UNLV. I want a guy who like Vegas and UNLV and its facilities like Odom was. I would ask Coach Odom for an input even in basketball. Just for shits and giggles..just to see what he says

Cofield grabbed Reggie Theus at the game and did a quick interview. Reggie, the Bethune-Cookman AD and Head Basketball coach, stopped over to see his alma mater play. Too bad there isn't much to see.

Reactions: the Florian Trout
Yikes!

I hope Harper has more class than Tina.
If things get even worse i would not but its going to be a real long season. I feel sorry for CKK. I wished he was the guy. He was a REBEL. Never should of gotten the job. Never proved himself ,but this season is like u training your replacement and u have no intentions of quitting!

If things get even worse i would not but its going to be a real long season. I feel sorry for CKK.
Why feel sorry for CKK, especially, if he was the wrong hire. If someone doesn’t perform and you need to fire them, why feel sorry. If anything, feel sorry for the players and fans.

If Jay Wright is out of reach maybe we can revisit the Brett Gunning angle....

Reactions: LVRebel2000
How much is left on CKK’s contract and what’s the going rate for a coach with D1 experience and a track record of winning? That’s how much Harp has to raise to make a switch.

I didn't think Rice was a bad coach. I just think he didn't have the team's respect. And had two many prima donnas on the team
I dunno not having the respect of the team is a sign of a bad coach…

He needed to throw a chair, loosen his inhibitions and actually get pissed off, or when he did get upset not make it look so awkward.

How much is left on CKK’s contract and what’s the going rate for a coach with D1 experience and a track record of winning? That’s how much Harp has to raise to make a switch.
1.5- 2 million a year would get you a decent D1 coach... he's got 2 years left at 700k a year

He needed to throw a chair, loosen his inhibitions and actually get pissed off, or when he did get upset not make it look so awkward.
That doesn't work well if it isn't who you are, in fact, it can backfire because kids are smart enough to see it's phony. He was a competitor, he certainly did get angry, very angry, but he internalized it.
I do think he would have fared better and had less ulcers with more "coachable" players. Same page types of guys, guys that weren't so concerned with the NBA and such. But when the belief is you need some NBA talent/fringe talent to win at the highest level, sometimes that gives.

It sucks because I believe in the following year, he had a class more in line with what he should have probably started with. Fringe and non-NBA guys that were still high enough talent, the types that would stay .... and I feel like we'd be on an entirely different trajectory had UNLV not parted ways when they did and certainly not in the manner in which they parted. UNLV mishandled that entire situation and we're not even close to that level 8 years later. I don't think any of the teams of the past several years were going to compete with Oregon, let alone smash them, or Indiana ... and have guys in the league.

That doesn't work well if it isn't who you are, in fact, it can backfire because kids are smart enough to see it's phony. He was a competitor, he certainly did get angry, very angry, but he internalized it.
I do think he would have fared better and had less ulcers with more "coachable" players. Same page types of guys, guys that weren't so concerned with the NBA and such. But when the belief is you need some NBA talent/fringe talent to win at the highest level, sometimes that gives.

My point being he wasn’t being who he was. I could see the repression and socialization of impulses in all his awkward gestures when he was upset. It was so cringy. It’s like he didn’t want to upset his parents or God by showing aggressiveness. He never looked authentic when he was upset, and I think the players picked up on that and didn’t respect him for it. He didn’t have to go all Bobby Knight but he didn’t have to internalize shit to the extent he did.

What’s strange to me during interviews he could come off as really strong and confident like a really good salesman and I think he probably came off the same way with recruits, but then there was a disconnect with how he related to them as players. Part of that being management style, but I think part of the management style was too meek like part of his personality. It’s why a coach like Schroyer walked all over him on the sidelines…like compensating for a void there…

With that said I wish he was still the coach and could have had more years here to develop his confidence more.. and maybe get him some therapy while he was at it.

Last edited:
Reactions: lvhiker

It sucks because I believe in the following year, he had a class more in line with what he should have probably started with. Fringe and non-NBA guys that were still high enough talent, the types that would stay .... and I feel like we'd be on an entirely different trajectory had UNLV not parted ways when they did and certainly not in the manner in which they parted. UNLV mishandled that entire situation and we're not even close to that level 8 years later. I don't think any of the teams of the past several years were going to compete with Oregon, let alone smash them, or Indiana ... and have guys in the league.
I agree with this. ⬆️ Rice biggest mistakes was recruiting for stars and not system guys.

Who was that player from Israel name started with a K? When he threw that towel in Rice's face and nothing happened that is when I thought the team was in trouble. You can't let something like that happen without obvious repercussions right away. Send him to the locker room, get in his face, whatever but show you are in charge. To me that set the tone on how the rest of the team would view him.

Who was that player from Israel name started with a K? When he threw that towel in Rice's face and nothing happened that is when I thought the team was in trouble. You can't let something like that happen without obvious repercussions right away. Send him to the locker room, get in his face, whatever but show you are in charge. To me that set the tone on how the rest of the team would view him.
Karam mashour…or something like that I believe.

Ryan Miller if u want recruiting to pick up a TON. Not sure about coaching ability ,but everywhere he goes they recruit at a good to great level. If u want NIL money to come in it has to be a splash hire. Maybe Miller can get players lined up and NIL money comes??? Not sure in todays day how that works. There is atleast 6 NON-Power 5 coaches that can coach their ass off ,but im not sure they can bring in the talent to get us to the TOP 25. that i would love to have. It might have to be a slow build ,but with the optics being much better year after year.

This whole season will be like window shopping. Like i said before the most excitement i have had in BB over the last forever (RICE years) is wondering who the next HC is going to be. IN my opinion. HE lost this team. Maybe he can get it back ,but no way 3 teams you lost to should be averaging 60% against u. Especially when u have the superior talent in 2 of them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT