ADVERTISEMENT

Time to start the coaching search

Boston Rebel 2

Retired Number
Gold Member
Sep 30, 2020
I think it's quite clear that we will have a new coach after this season. A blowout loss to a SWAC team on your home floor. This is like losing to teams in Australia and Canada that you have no business losing to that foretold seasons of disappointment. Will bet my house this season goes the same. Better start lining up some money and names. Who is the Odom of basketball?

I love Ed Cooley.
We aren't getting Ed Cooley.
Ivan Thomas coaches under Cooley and looks like a good candidate to me.

If Harp decided Arroyo was gone after the Hawaii game last year…

I think we'd get a lot of booster money and NIL Money if we did. No way The powers that be would let her fail. There would be a lot of hype. The media everywhere. Surrounded her.by excellent assistants? I just convinced myself i'm game.
Coach Pop's disciple? yes please!

Reactions: RebelScrub
Becky Hammond belongs in Women’s basketball. Get a clue gentlemen. Hire the right person not someone who has never recruited a player in her life. Geez. Enough with the “feel good Progressive “ hire thoughts.
That's what you got assistants for.its all about NIL money NOW. MOSTLY.

1. No assistants without head coaching experience.
2. No geezers looking to retire.
Yep, if possible follow the Odom model of a former head coach either fired too soon from a big school or a small school coach who didn't do as well at a big school. Another first round exit and maybe Underwood gets fired. Someone in that range.

Reactions: Takethat702
Reactions: LVRebel2000
Pasternack is a name we heard a lot of before as a candidate he would probably be a good fit. Funny to see Simon on that list.
I believe Pasternack just extended last year and has a pretty large buyout. Not sure though. Luckily, we won't owe CKK that much.

Just need a real adult managing this program.
To me if Kevin is really let go, I would like Shaka Smart or Sean Miller be offered if they are interested.

Lon should kick in since he gave us our current coach.
That was our past great AD Desiree Reed-Francois who turned a piss poor performance into a big time job purely based on her being able to check off all the boxes and not her ability as a quality candidate. Doesn't look like her football or basketball coach hires are standing up well over time, but at least she got what she wanted out of it!

That was our past great AD Desiree Reed-Francois who turned a piss poor performance into a big time job purely based on her being able to check off all the boxes and not her ability as a quality candidate. Doesn't look like her football or basketball coach hires are standing up well over time, but at least she got what she wanted out of it!
I say "Good for her". You use what you have.

We were stupid enough to hire her.

DRF didn't do a good job here on paper, she was 0-2 on basketball hires and 0-1 on football hires. Apparently she was better than TKM at fundraising, but that's just based on second hand info and I don't know that TKM is a great bar for success in any event.

But she's done pretty okay at Missouri

She made one hire in major sports at Mizzou, and Dennis Gates has looked like a pretty savvy hire. They just hired Kerrick Jackson to coach baseball from Memphis but they obviously haven't played a game yet. She didn't really have anything to do with Drinkwitz apart I guess from not firing him despite his seat being pretty warm after 3 below average years in a row.

She's doing better there than she did here. I guess that sucks for us but she clearly is a little more capable than most would give her credit for as Mizzou in the SEC is kind of a tough slog in the SEC west.

The two best hires she made were Dawn Sullivan and Lindy La Rocque. I'm pissed with the current AD hire of our new Volleyball coach. A great team is struggling to make it into the MWC tournament.

Reactions: the Florian Trout
DRF didn't do a good job here on paper, she was 0-2 on basketball hires and 0-1 on football hires. Apparently she was better than TKM at fundraising, but that's just based on second hand info and I don't know that TKM is a great bar for success in any event.

But she's done pretty okay at Missouri

She made one hire in major sports at Mizzou, and Dennis Gates has looked like a pretty savvy hire. They just hired Kerrick Jackson to coach baseball from Memphis but they obviously haven't played a game yet. She didn't really have anything to do with Drinkwitz apart I guess from not firing him despite his seat being pretty warm after 3 below average years in a row.

She's doing better there than she did here. I guess that sucks for us but she clearly is a little more capable than most would give her credit for as Mizzou in the SEC is kind of a tough slog in the SEC west.
Could have hired Becky Hammon, she went on to win a championship with the Aces.

We'll never be able to lure a current successful P5 coach. Harper will follow what has worked for him and get a really good current G5 coach from a lower league, or a recently fired P5 coach with previous success.
There's plenty of good-great mid major coaches that have a track record to choose from. Ones That have a proven track record that can coach(multiple levels).

There's plenty of good-great mid major coaches that have a track record to choose from. Ones That have a proven track record that can coach(multiple levels).
Last year team was the team that I thought Kevin will catapult himself into a coach stardom. He got 3 Defensive player of the Years in Harklessss, kid from CO, and LuRod plus he got an alpha player in Keyshawn Gilbert. He tanked it. He have a lot of new parts this year that are talented but new to DI game. Is Kevin a builder or teacher? We dont know because he is so new and young. UNLV doesn't have the time or patient to nurture the coaches maturity.

Keyshawn Hall is better than any of the rebels on the squad.

We'll never be able to lure a current successful P5 coach. Harper will follow what has worked for him and get a really good current G5 coach from a lower league, or a recently fired P5 coach with previous success.
Who in their right mind thinks we were luring current successful coaches to step down a tier?
There's a lot if nice names that could genuinely be interested if Harper has better connections than Dez...

I'm looking at you Jay Wright... yes, you heard that correctly. He built Villanova into a champion and retired because maybe I think he got a little bored after reaching the peak. He takes a year off does TV and realizes how much he misses just coaching... Enter Eric Harper and the rest becomes history

Who in their right mind thinks we were luring current successful coaches to step down a tier?
There's a lot if nice names that could genuinely be interested if Harper has better connections than Dez...

I'm looking at you Jay Wright... yes, you heard that correctly. He built Villanova into a champion and retired because maybe I think he got a little bored after reaching the peak. He takes a year off does TV and realizes how much he misses just coaching... Enter Eric Harper and the rest becomes history
Yes please

Reactions: gripple29
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT