ADVERTISEMENT

Who would be your replacement "IF" OTZ leaves for ISU?

How is Martin even a reasonable name? I see the DRF connection but who in their right mind believes we’re going to poach a sitting SEC coach that has his team in the NCAA tournament? Highly unlikely, even if Kruger knocks them out in the 1st round I don’t see Mizzou firing him.

you got your franks and martins all crisscrossed! There’s cuonzo Martin at mizzou, frank haith former mizzou current Tulsa and walking ncaa violation, and frank martin at South Carolina. Frank Martin of the 6-15 gamecocks is the hot name in Vegas at the moment.
I WILL NOT BE A GAMECOCK-Lisa Simpson

Reactions: GreedyGreg
The names being thrown around by Rebel fans are pretty lazy. You have the usual suspects like Pitino, Lavin, Frank Martin, etc...and then former Rebels like Kevin Kruger and Todd Simon. Zero effort. Hopefully DRF is smarter than that.

what do we have to do to get Doug gottlieb back in the mix?? Is fran franschilla still looking to make a comeback? Get Bruce pearl on the phone!

• Haha
Reactions: RebelSoldat
Is Greg Anthony coming with him? I think he’d be a great assistant but he’s probably making more as a broadcaster than what UNLV pays. Offer to take the pay cut and come home Greg!

you got your franks and martins all crisscrossed! There’s cuonzo Martin at mizzou, frank haith former mizzou current Tulsa and walking ncaa violation, and frank martin at South Carolina. Frank Martin of the 6-15 gamecocks is the hot name in Vegas at the moment.
I WILL NOT BE A GAMECOCK-Lisa Simpson
The RJ has Cuonzo Martin as a candidate because of the relationship to DRF. SC insiders say Vegas could be a potential landing spot for frank, he’s about to be fired at Carolina.

He would be a good hire
Looks like 3 mil buyout before may 1st, 1.5 mil after. He’s also set to make 3.1 mil in salary next season. I don’t know unlv’s financial situation but could they even compete with that kind of salary? And would he even want to come back west? Looks like outside of cal his career has all been Midwest/south based.
You have any opinion on tony stubblefield?

Looks like 3 mil buyout before may 1st, 1.5 mil after. He’s also set to make 3.1 mil in salary next season. I don’t know unlv’s financial situation but could they even compete with that kind of salary? And would he even want to come back west? Looks like outside of cal his career has all been Midwest/south based.
You have any opinion on tony stubblefield?
I don't know much about him. If we are going the assistant route, we might as well take a look at Jerome Tang or Brett Gunning.

Reactions: BrianGregory
I don't know much about him. If we are going the assistant route, we might as well take a look at Jerome Tang or Brett Gunning.
Some interesting names for sure. Stubblefield has been with Altman since he got to Oregon, and their recruiting and winning consistency are what make him stand out in my opinion. Whether or not he can do that at a head coach level is to be determined. But someone is gonna find out. Probably sooner than later.

Some interesting names for sure. Stubblefield has been with Altman since he got to Oregon, and their recruiting and winning consistency are what make him stand out in my opinion. Whether or not he can do that at a head coach level is to be determined. But someone is gonna find out. Probably sooner than later.
Mike Boyton at Oklahoma State should be in consideration. They are paying him peanuts right now.

Mike Boyton at Oklahoma State should be in consideration. They are paying him peanuts right now.

I don’t think we would be able to snag him. Whatever UNLV offered, OK state would just double it without even blinking.

I don’t think we would be able to snag him. Whatever UNLV offered, OK state would just double it without even blinking.
Their donor is the bp petroleum guy...

hell no, we ain’t got the fat stacks to go against that.

Petro guys not as rich as they used to be, but still, boone pickens at ok state and phil knight for oregon are the top boosters in the country. After a nice year by ok state, coach will get a monster raisr.

Would like to know who paid the $10m at indiana for archie miller buy out. That is pretty amazing. Also amazing a booster can pay $10m to get rid of a coach but a $20 hand shake to a kid is a violation.

T. Boone Pickens is the OSU booster but he passed away in 2019 not sure what type of giving his estate provided.

Rumors are Mark Cuban put up the money for Indiana but he has denied it.

I don’t know why Iowa state would fart out 8 million bucks for a lateral move, at best.

we don’t need an experienced coach. We just need someone who kids would love to play for.

I vote shaq
He’s got very decent wrestling skills. Got laid out on 2 tables. It’s not ECW, but I’m impressed.

Huh, hadn’t heard cuonzo anywhere yet. Not the worst rumor I guess.

It’s a weird name to see connected to the UNLV job but Cuonzo has made some interesting job changes. He either likes to move around a lot or he’s smart enough to get out of town before his seat gets hot. I don’t think his job is in jeopardy at the moment but a move to UNLV buys him another 3+ years to find his next job. I would be very surprised if he stuck around here long but he should get us back to respectable before he bounces. I’d like to hope our next coach is here for at least 5 years to bring a little more stability to the program and nothing about Cuonzo’s career makes me believe he’d be here that long.

It’s a weird name to see connected to the UNLV job but Cuonzo has made some interesting job changes. He either likes to move around a lot or he’s smart enough to get out of town before his seat gets hot. I don’t think his job is in jeopardy at the moment but a move to UNLV buys him another 3+ years to find his next job. I would be very surprised if he stuck around here long but he should get us back to respectable before he bounces. I’d like to hope our next coach is here for at least 5 years to bring a little more stability to the program and nothing about Cuonzo’s career makes me believe he’d be here that long.
I think he might be the Mike Brown of College Basketball. Great at winning the interview and job but lacking in job performance.

I'm pro-Stacey Augmon, I honestly think he is the only hire that can move the needle in public interest & the only hire capable of getting the program to the Big Dance/NIT level within 2 years.
The program can bring in any of the other potential hires & it won't move public interest. Minus public interest in the next hire, the program will remain at the lower end of the pack in basketball & the next coach will be plotting another early exit.

Just read the LVSun article about Otz. Had to laugh at DRF’s quote in there. "When our coaches are being pursued by others, it is a testament to what we are building," Reed-Francois said. Only our AD would spin this 12-15 7th place MWC season as a huge step forward. You got lucky the ISU AD had a previous hard on for TJ. Hopefully she learned something from this experience and isn’t looking at hiring some nobody out of the MEAC just because he got his team into the NCAA’s as a #16 seed.

Will Augmon even get an interview?

we shall reveal the administrations hand and expose them in a few days..

Rather have her than 75% of the names being tossed around. That said no thank you. I think it has some pros and cons. Nothing to do with her coaching.
She draws up plays for a living. She coaches grown men

Reasons why she’s not? Ummm, no college experience at all. She could be head coach of the toon squad and still not be qualified to run a rebuild that is going to require elevating fan support, fund raising, recruiting etc... I don’t care how progressive UNLV wants to be, she would be a huge whiff in my opinion.

Bill gets it, but does our AD even listen to boosters anymore?

“I’m extremely disappointed in the program, at this exact point in time, on a number of fronts,” said Bill Paulos, president of the Runnin’ Rebels basketball club. “This next hire has to be pretty amazing and has to come with players. It has to be an A-plus guy. It can’t be, ’We’re just going to hire some assistant coach from some place and bring him in.’ Or some other up-comer like T.J.
“I know T.J. will do great things at Iowa State,” Paulos added. “But the truth of it is, UNLV basketball must and should be a lot better than it is. That’s the harsh truth about where things stand.”

Let’s not fight about ISU..

they took our coach. Big deal. You hit the reset button and pray that our AD does the right hire.

flashbacks of Tina Kunzer Murphy.

it’s like a bad nightmare people.

Wow, coaching matters. I would argue that if you had an open gym and picked teams. Unlv would have more players picked earlier than loyola. Yet loyola takes down number 1 seed Illinois, and some on this board say "no way" to porter moser. And tout guys who have never head coached.

Wow, coaching matters. I would argue that if you had an open gym and picked teams. Unlv would have more players picked earlier than loyola. Yet loyola takes down number 1 seed Illinois, and some on this board say "no way" to porter moser. And tout guys who have never head coached.

Agreed 100%. Although one thing I gotta say opposite at the end... at this point since no good current head coach seems to want this job (or we are unable to compensate to their liking) I would rather have a 7/10 coach who will stay for several years or more than a 9/10 or 10/10 coach on a 2 year stop.

17 seasons, 2 NCAA appearances .... I’m more track record than being blown away by a very minority.

Rollie won a national championship. Didn’t help us.

People think UNLV is a typical college job, but it’s incredibly unique. Much more nuanced than other schools.

Coaching matters. Recruiting matters. Roster management matters. Knowing your boosters and networking matters. And in Vegas, knowing the right people matters. Has to be a fit.

Reactions: LocoRebel
What was it about 20 years ago when we were trying to lobby for George Karl? I cared sooo much back then... this time around...... IDGAF !!! at all. Mickey Mouse University with a bunch of morons running the show. MY loyalty was strong and I was a die hard....but hitting the "reset" button AGAIN...omg its just too much.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT