ADVERTISEMENT

Who would be your replacement "IF" OTZ leaves for ISU?

Of all the names I've heard being bounced around my top choices would be Archie Miller, Gregg Marshall, Rick Pitino, and John Turner(UC Irvine).

I'd love to have Marshall. The guy is an elite-level winner. I imagine if he coached during the 80's none of the players would've complained about their hurt feelings. If there was someone at UNLV athletics with some serious PR skills they could make it work - talk about how he's been in therapy and counseling, blah, blah, blah just to put the minds of the safe space idiots at ease.

Really not a fan of the assistant route this time...especially after the last few hires we have made.
I don’t understand your logic.

The last 2 fools we hired were head coaches prior to doing zero here.

The last assistant we hired got more wins against Top 25 teams than any coach but the great one.

🤷🏻‍♂️

I don’t know why Iowa state would fart out 8 million bucks for a lateral move, at best.

we don’t need an experienced coach. We just need someone who kids would love to play for.

I vote shaq
Did you see him wrestle? That was f’n amazing..

"It's been done for about a month now," the source said.
Well that’s good to hear. Maybe he made admin aware that he was leaving and they already got a jump on the search?

Dude at RJ just said lavin, theus, and pitino. So I guess that means old Marv is coming back to loaf around.

Gotta hand it to TJ though. In two years as head coach his tenure was about as exciting as Chris beard’s. Two years, two weeks what’s the difference? Beard was undefeated at unlv though so he wins in my book.

Reactions: Oscar_m89
Did you see him wrestle? That was f’n amazing..
I’m so glad you told me to check this out. Dude from breaking bad is playing ref. Alex Jones helped set up the tables. Shaq lookin like the return of Andre. Only got to see the match though. None of the aftermath. I’ll keep searching.

I don’t understand your logic.

The last 2 fools we hired were head coaches prior to doing zero here.

The last assistant we hired got more wins against Top 25 teams than any coach but the great one.

🤷🏻‍♂️

They were also experimental hires essentially. If you still want to take risks after that, then I don't know what to tell you

No doubt in my mind that if Augmon wants the job he should get it. He knows what makes a Rebel cause he is a Rebel. And beyond that he knows exactly what real talent looks like so no issues going forward with recruiting.

Reading some insider notes at South Carolina they seem to think Frank Martin is something that could happen for UNLV.
10 years ago i would of loved it. Not now. PC is way too strong. Great coach but he has struggled as of late. Due to PC movement. IMO.

10 years ago i would of loved it. Not now. PC is way too strong. Great coach but he has struggled as of late. Due to PC movement. IMO.

I don't think the PC culture would rule out Frank Martin. He's an abrasive guy but hasn't had the degree of scandal that has held back other candidates. What 'potentially' takes him out of the equation, in my opinion, is his success at South Carolina. Only one NCAAT in 8 years. Granted, that one appearance was a final four run but that's just not great and would underwhelm a lot of people. Don't get me wrong, he's a good coach and did a really good job at KSU 9+ years ago...I just don't know if that resume is good enough for him to be a primary candidate. Wouldn't excite me personally, but I wouldn't hate it either.

Also, I'm curious as to why he hasn't been able to succeed due to "PC culture"? Is it because he has a reputation has a tough coach? I'm not intending this to come off as a snarky question, just interested as to why you think that.

I don't think the PC culture would rule out Frank Martin. He's an abrasive guy but hasn't had the degree of scandal that has held back other candidates. What 'potentially' takes him out of the equation, in my opinion, is his success at South Carolina. Only one NCAAT in 8 years. Granted, that one appearance was a final four run but that's just not great and would underwhelm a lot of people. Don't get me wrong, he's a good coach and did a really good job at KSU 9+ years ago...I just don't know if that resume is good enough for him to be a primary candidate. Wouldn't excite me personally, but I wouldn't hate it either.

Also, I'm curious as to why he hasn't been able to succeed due to "PC culture"? Is it because he has a reputation has a tough coach? I'm not intending this to come off as a snarky question, just interested as to why you think that.
IMO, for the right money he'd be fine. He's a proven coach and I think his personality would be fine for the town.

IMO, for the right money he'd be fine. He's a proven coach and I think his personality would be fine for the town.

I agree with you. I can't see why he wouldn't be accepted here either. What do you pay a coach like Martin though? I'm not sure how his contract is structured and what he could be potentially owed. I see that he currently makes 1.5/year but haven't seen any kind of extension made recently. He could be an option depending on buyout. I wonder why he has had such a hard time at South Carolina.

I agree with you. I can't see why he wouldn't be accepted here either. What do you pay a coach like Martin though? I'm not sure how his contract is structured and what he could be potentially owed. I see that he currently makes 1.5/year but haven't seen any kind of extension made recently. He could be an option depending on buyout. I wonder why he has had such a hard time at South Carolina.
He makes $ 2.8 mil annually with a $6.5 mil buyout.

Reactions: RebelScrub

The way he teaches. Maybe a little over the top. Accountability ! Demanding 100%! How many players on our current squad would accept that? One video of him yelling and screaming at players to get the most out of them would not bode well into todays society!

Reactions: Trax0r
Martin success has dropped since Underwood and Figger left his staff. Not saying that is the reason but would give me pause on him.

Frank coaches just fine. South Carolina’s problem is anybody that is good would rather sit on the bench at Duke or UNC than start in the SEC East. Not to mention the other ACC schools that recruit that area heavily like Virginia all the way down to Miami. Combined with the fact that any money and energy in the area goes to football, that makes the environment tough to succeed in.

No to Frank Martin. His teams suffer burnout fast and he doesn't look very healthy these days.
You're right about the health stuff. His hair partially fell out after a bout with Covid and he shaved it all off. Makes him look like a chemo patient.

Frank coaches just fine. South Carolina’s problem is anybody that is good would rather sit on the bench at Duke or UNC than start in the SEC East. Not to mention the other ACC schools that recruit that area heavily like Virginia all the way down to Miami. Combined with the fact that any money and energy in the area goes to football, that makes the environment tough to succeed in.
South Carolina isn't that hard to succeed at. They have a dominant women's team now. I'm sure it's a tough job in some aspects but Frank Martin demands a lot, perhaps too much, and his teams burn out quickly as a result. He isn't a great coach in all honesty.

South Carolina isn't that hard to succeed at. They have a dominant women's team now. I'm sure it's a tough job in some aspects but Frank Martin demands a lot, perhaps too much, and his teams burn out quickly as a result. He isn't a great coach in all honesty.
Cool. That explains their relative dismal history with men’s basketball perfectly thanks for explaining in detail how South Carolina isn’t hard to succeed at

"It's been done for about a month now," the source said.
Well that’s good to hear. Maybe he made admin aware that he was leaving and they already got a jump on the search?

Dude at RJ just said lavin, theus, and pitino. So I guess that means old Marv is coming back to loaf around.

Gotta hand it to TJ though. In two years as head coach his tenure was about as exciting as Chris beard’s. Two years, two weeks what’s the difference? Beard was undefeated at unlv though so he wins in my book.

Theus is being mentioned by the RJ? Damn I really wanted Reggie here back in 2011 but I can’t see it now. He screwed himself taking the Northridge job. Nobody is going to win big there but his tenure was so terribly bad I don’t think he’ll ever get another opportunity. I really like Reggie and I thought he would have killed it for us in 2011 but I think his time has passed.

If Theus had SOME success at CSUN, maybe he'd be get some consideration, but he had ZERO success there, so no thanks.

Last edited:
Even IF there was interest noway UNLV would have $10,000,000 to pay the buyout. I would love Pitino but noway it happens. Can we just move on from him?

I would be surprised if any of those are hired. Actually, Kevin is probably the most likely and then maybe Martin the rest I would think have almost 0%. seems like a lazy list to me.

Reactions: RebelSoldat
I would be surprised if any of those are hired. Actually, Kevin is probably the most likely and then maybe Martin the rest I would think have almost 0%. seems like a lazy list to me.

The names being thrown around by Rebel fans are pretty lazy. You have the usual suspects like Pitino, Lavin, Frank Martin, etc...and then former Rebels like Kevin Kruger and Todd Simon. Zero effort. Hopefully DRF is smarter than that.

The names being thrown around by Rebel fans are pretty lazy. You have the usual suspects like Pitino, Lavin, Frank Martin, etc...and then former Rebels like Kevin Kruger and Todd Simon. Zero effort. Hopefully DRF is smarter than that.

Yeah this list is nothing more than a throwback to the Dave rice era. Paging mick cronin....

• Haha
Very lazy list. I hope that isn't the actually short list because if it is then it's clear we're done as a basketball program.

How is Martin even a reasonable name? I see the DRF connection but who in their right mind believes we’re going to poach a sitting SEC coach that has his team in the NCAA tournament? Highly unlikely, even if Kruger knocks them out in the 1st round I don’t see Mizzou firing him.

Given the relationship not impossible but not probable either. Missouri is not a great job and he is not exactly killing it there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT