ADVERTISEMENT

Who would be your replacement "IF" OTZ leaves for ISU?

That name as well as Miller I like
He won't even be considered. Not sure why people keep bringing him up.

Todd Simon, Kevin Kruger, Gregg Marshall, Archie Miller...UNLV fans have no imagination
So who would you like for UNLV to consider for the job? I think Miller is good, he would have a chip on his shoulder with something to prove and he has no baggage

So who would you like for UNLV to consider for the job? I think Miller is good, he would have a chip on his shoulder with something to prove and he has no baggage
The Gunning guy also seems like he could be good, never been a head coach but has tons of assistant experience with a small tie to UNLV from when he got started with his career. Worked with Jay Wright pretty much his whole career, only thing is does UNLV want to take a shot with a guy who has no head coaching experience! But when you think of it, the last two hires had coaching experience and look how that came out! Maybe it's time we do it again, we did it with Rice and maybe it works the second time!

He won't even be considered. Not sure why people keep bringing him up.

Todd Simon, Kevin Kruger, Gregg Marshall, Archie Miller...UNLV fans have no imagination
I just read you like Thompson III, I actually like that name. I think it's a big enough name that would help us get back on track. I don't care what kind of offense they run as long as they win! If we want to hire a name coach we have to be willing to hire a guy that needs a second chance, if not we end up with no name guys or guys with no head coaching experience! Do you guys remember the last guy we hired that fits that mold? Kruger!

I just read you like Thompson III, I actually like that name. I think it's a big enough name that would help us get back on track. I don't care what kind of offense they run as long as they win! If we want to hire a name coach we have to be willing to hire a guy that needs a second chance, if not we end up with no name guys or guys with no head coaching experience! Do you guys remember the last guy we hired that fits that mold? Kruger!
And if I remember right when we hired Kruger a lot of people complainEd that he would bring a slow boring offense here. When we started winning nobody cared about how many points we scored!

I think we need to look for an experienced, veteran coach. Some people I have in mind:

John Thompson III

Mark Schmidt

John Beilein

Thad Matta

Mike Rhoades

Russell Turner

Being it looks like the same exact names keep being brought up as a new coach I thought I would metion a couple assistant coaches that might be worth a look at. I know most people dont want an assistant as the new coach but I thought it might spark some new conversation. Kenny Payne was already brought up but I think he could be good others i think might be good are Jason Williford, Jerome Tang, and Ryan Pedon. They would have to bring in an assistant with better west coast contacts but all seem to primed and ready to take over a team of their own.

Reactions: Trax0r
Being it looks like the same exact names keep being brought up as a new coach I thought I would metion a couple assistant coaches that might be worth a look at. I know most people dont want an assistant as the new coach but I thought it might spark some new conversation. Kenny Payne was already brought up but I think he could be good others i think might be good are Jason Williford, Jerome Tang, and Ryan Pedon. They would have to bring in an assistant with better west coast contacts but all seem to primed and ready to take over a team of their own.

Really not a fan of the assistant route this time...especially after the last few hires we have made.

I think we need to look for an experienced, veteran coach. Some people I have in mind:

John Thompson III

Mark Schmidt

John Beilein

Thad Matta

Mike Rhoades

Russell Turner
I like those names expect I don't know recall the name Turner? What about the coach of St. Mary's, I think it's Bennett? He's proven he can win for a long period of time unfortunately he has always been in the shadow of Gonzaga!

I may be wrong but didn't UNLV show some interest in Bennett in a previous coaching search and basically got turned down by him before they could finish their opening sentence?

Reactions: j. spilotro
I like those names expect I don't know recall the name Turner? What about the coach of St. Mary's, I think it's Bennett? He's proven he can win for a long period of time unfortunately he has always been in the shadow of Gonzaga!

Russell Turner has been at UC Irvine for a while and has been considered to be a very solid coach that knows how to build a program.

Reactions: 76RunninRebel
I may be wrong but didn't UNLV show some interest in Bennett in a previous coaching search and basically got turned down by him before they could finish their opening sentence?
That was when they ended up hiring Menzies, its been 5 years maybe he has a change of heart second time around

Russell Turner has been at UC Irvine for a while and has been considered to be a very solid coach that knows how to build a program.
If you give guys like Turner and Rhoades a shot you got to give Miller a shot as well, yes he failed at Indiana but he showed he could win at a smaller school like Dayton. I know UNLV is a bigger school than Dayton but I think he could be successful here and be in the top 3 of the mountain west on a yearly basis. The big 10 is so competitive!

If you give guys like Turner and Rhoades a shot you got to give Miller a shot as well, yes he failed at Indiana but he showed he could win at a smaller school like Dayton. I know UNLV is a bigger school than Dayton but I think he could be successful here and be in the top 3 of the mountain west on a yearly basis. The big 10 is so competitive!

Archie Miller hasn't proven himself as a long-term coach that knows how to build a program. Flashy name, but he wouldn't be on my list.

Archie Miller hasn't proven himself as a long-term coach that knows how to build a program. Flashy name, but he wouldn't be on my list.
He was lights out at Dayton. Any fan here would be ecstatic for a record like Dayton had while he was coach. If we could get him, Miller would be the closest we could come to a home run. My only issue with him is his last 12 years has been in the East and Midwest. I'd rather see a coach from the West.

He was lights out at Dayton. Any fan here would be ecstatic for a record like Dayton had while he was coach. If we could get him, Miller would be the closest we could come to a home run. My only issue with him is his last 12 years has been in the East and Midwest. I'd rather see a coach from the West.

He was a hot name then but if he can't cut it in Indiana, he probably can't cut it here.

He was an assistant for Arizona, Arizona St., but yeah he has limited time out west but at this point we can't get all picky about what coast he's from, as long as you are a proven winner! You have to give Miller a look if he shows some interest. I looked up Rhoades, Turner, Schmidt and man I don't see anything that great! If you add up his years as a coach at Indiana he went to the tournament 4 out of 10 years that's better than any of those guys except Rhoades. The thing with Rhoades is all his tournament appearances(4) were at division III. If Miller had stayed these last 4 years at Dayton I'm positive he gets to the tournament at least 2, most likely 3 times! At that point he has 6/7 tournament appearances in 10 years, that blows out any of the formentioned coaches!

Reactions: Doneoett
He was a hot name then but if he can't cut it in Indiana, he probably can't cut it here.
You can't compare the mountain west to the big 10, way more competitive! The Atlantic 10 were he was on fire is a little below or above the mountain west depending on who you ask!

You can't compare the mountain west to the big 10, way more competitive! The Atlantic 10 were he was on fire is a little below or above the mountain west depending on who you ask!
Archie Miller won't be the guy that understands what it is like to travel to Laramie, Ft. Collins, Boise, etc to play competitive conference rivals.

He was an assistant for Arizona, Arizona St., but yeah he has limited time out west but at this point we can't get all picky about what coast he's from, as long as you are a proven winner! You have to give Miller a look if he shows some interest. I looked up Rhoades, Turner, Schmidt and man I don't see anything that great! If you add up his years as a coach at Indiana he went to the tournament 4 out of 10 years that's better than any of those guys except Rhoades. The thing with Rhoades is all his tournament appearances(4) were at division III. If Miller had stayed these last 4 years at Dayton I'm positive he gets to the tournament at least 2, most likely 3 times! At that point he has 6/7 tournament appearances in 10 years, that blows out any of the formentioned coaches!
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

My bad, Schmidt also has 4 tournament appearances but that has come after 14 years! Miller would have almost certainly had way more appearances if he had stayed at Dayton!

Who meets that standard other than an existing or fired MW coach?
Any experienced coach would understand the task at hand. I just have a feeling someone like Archie Miller wouldn't know what to expect or know how to prepare players for that task, let alone building a winning culture here. Miller's philosophy is basically "recruit and roll them out on the floor."...we need someone who has a better idea of what they are doing than that.

Archie would be a great hire in my opinion. Probably about as good as we could realistically hope for at this time. Conference realignment was crazy at that point but the A10 Archie coached in was better than the present day MWC (Xavier, Temple, Butler, St Louis, VCU). He wouldn’t be coaching against Brad Stevens, Chris Mack, Rick Majerus and Shaka Smart here. I think he’d do fine with traveling to play in Boise and Laramie.

Archie would be a great hire in my opinion. Probably about as good as we could realistically hope for at this time. Conference realignment was crazy at that point but the A10 Archie coached in was better than the present day MWC (Xavier, Temple, Butler, St Louis, VCU). He wouldn’t be coaching against Brad Stevens, Chris Mack, Rick Majerus and Shaka Smart here. I think he’d do fine with traveling to play in Boise and Laramie.
I like miller for five reasons. 1. He has shown he can recruit at our level. 2. He had chances to leave Dayton but stayed till he got a top P5 job. ( leads me to believe he would be here longer than an up and coming mid major coach who may jump at the first higher paying job available. 3. He's already tainted at P5 and shouldn't be poached for a while. 4. Big success at a school at our level. 5. Has $ 10 mil already in his pocket and shouldn't have to squabble that much about $$.

Man I forgot about all those teams with those coaches in that conference, wow! I say if you can't get a Thad Matta, Beilein, Thompson III to come here then Miller is a good second option! I would have added Pitino to the top but that buyout is insane!

I like miller for five reasons. 1. He has shown he can recruit at our level. 2. He had chances to leave Dayton but stayed till he got a top P5 job. ( leads me to believe he would be here longer than an up and coming mid major coach who may jump at the first higher paying job available. 3. He's already tainted at P5 and shouldn't be poached for a while. 4. Big success at a school at our level. 5. Has $ 10 mil already in his pocket and shouldn't have to squabble that much about $$.
Man this is spot on! Maybe if he came here and got it rolling good he would do Mark Few and make this into another Gonzaga type team out west!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT