ADVERTISEMENT

Who would be your replacement "IF" OTZ leaves for ISU?

Rebel_Luv

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Kenny Payne is my first. I think he hits on so many levels. Has so many ties EVERYWHERE. Mike Miller is my second.

Just be reasonable. We are not outbidding for any HC that might be on our radar. With hiring a assistant they will have to prove themselves over a longer period. We get Payne or Miller and we would practically win on talent alone and hopefully they build enough base like fans and a winning tradition again to where we will be in a much better position for our NEXT NEXT HC.

Guys, this is UNLV Athletics that we are talking about.

I can’t imagine these guys getting it right and hiring any of our dream picks.

Reactions: Couev
1. Top 75 coach salaries have exploded. If we are competing for a coach with any P6 conference team assume we can't afford it.
2. Therefore the only coach we can afford with name recognition is a coach who is tainted in some manner ( old, unhealthy, recruiting violations, slapped a player etc.) and UNLV won't risk it.
3. For the above two reasons 90% chance we end up with either an assistant or a current head coach at a smaller program.
4. Only way beyond this is a Kruger type situation but that is lightning in a bottle.
5. IMO, we should try another lower conference head coach with long term ties to the West or a previous head coach who had success and has fallen down. I think assistants are too risky in that they know basketball and recruiting but they most likely don't know managing a team through the myriad of personnel and NCAA hoops.

Reactions: Couev
Kenny Payne is my first. I think he hits on so many levels. Has so many ties EVERYWHERE. Mike Miller is my second.
I love the thought of Payne but once someone is with the pro's it's hard to get them away. They are already making what they'd make here without the hassles.

I love the thought of Payne but once someone is with the pro's it's hard to get them away. They are already making what they'd make here without the hassles.
Yeah, it’s tough once they go pro. Otherwise why not go for a guy with ties like Welch? Keefe?

Funny thing is, one of the appeals of a George Karl, to me, was the staff he would have brought back. I like George anyway, I would have loved to see what he could do here - I certainly understand picking Kruger because he was a known at this level ... but I favored Karl for the home run swing of it all. Out of the park or strikeout. I’m cool with the results if you at least go for it.

But with Karl, I don’t know that’d we’d grab Grg, I doubt it, but who knows, obviously very tight. But the talks were a staff with Augmon and Welch, as well. That gives you a continuum if there is success and yes, I think that’s important.

If UNLV wasn’t the jacked up place it is, Tark probably coaches another 5-10 years here, gives it off to Grg for a few years. Then Rice or some other long time staffer ... I think when you find the success, you stick with successors.

I think you atleast interview Payne! The optics would be good. I also think he wants the chance to prove himself. IMO. Just by reading a few articles. I would bet that with a good staff and his name recognition we would easily have the best recruits in the MWC.

We need an experienced, veteran coach looking to settle down or someone with ties to the program. If Otzelberger does leave, the "up-and-comer" experiment failed. Thad Matta would be one of the names I would hope they would reach out to.

I agree 100%, I just highly, Highly, HIGHLY doubt our current administration will even consider that type of coach, it'll almost certainly be the up and comer.

I agree 100%, I just highly, Highly, HIGHLY doubt our current administration will even consider that type of coach, it'll almost certainly be the up and comer.

Then DRF wouldn't be learning from her mistakes...

One name I hope we avoid is Todd Simon. Why is there so much hype around that guy? SUU's schedule this year was a comfortable list of minnows and basement dwellers. Let him prove his mantle in a tougher conference.

Todd Simon to UNLV is not the worst idea if you go the "up and comer" route. I am sure he could recruit to Unlv. Matta gets brought up for every college job, if he wanted to coach he would go to a P5 school.

Reactions: GreedyGreg
Could go for a Bryce Drew or Archie Miller (if he gets the axe). Both of them had excellent success at mid-majors before going to P6 schools and not doing so hot. Drew has turned GCU from 13-17 to 15-6 in one year.

I’d be very happy with Archie but after seeing his buyout details I’m wondering if Indiana gives him one more year. I know Big Ten schools print money but with COVID reduced revenues that $10+ million dollar buyout might make them think a little harder about it knowing that the buyout drops to $3 million next year.

Hadn’t thought too much about Drew. I would like to see more than 1 decent year at GCU. Vandy was actually a respectable program when he took over and he ran them into the basement. No doubt he looked like a good young coach at Valpo but I’m not sold on him right now.

Reactions: LuvMeSomeRebs
Idk why TJ would leave you guys for ISU. That’s a monster rebuild to look forward to, and he has a great recruiting class coming in at UNLV.

Todd Simon to UNLV is not the worst idea if you go the "up and comer" route. I am sure he could recruit to Unlv. Matta gets brought up for every college job, if he wanted to coach he would go to a P5 school.

What credentials does he have besides barely getting SUU above water?

Matta also was interested in the opening last time before DRF decided to do her own thing.

Reactions: 76RunninRebel
Please buy out his contract for us. You guys can have him!!!
He’s a Hawkeye fan Scrub. He’s probably very happy with where the Cyclones are right now. I’m sure he would love ISU to keep Coach Prohm so that he can enjoy watching them rack up another 20+ loss season next year. He probably doesn’t know much about TJO or that this monster UNLV class won’t have Zaon coming.

I don’t know why Iowa state would fart out 8 million bucks for a lateral move, at best.

we don’t need an experienced coach. We just need someone who kids would love to play for.

I vote shaq

I don’t know why Iowa state would fart out 8 million bucks for a lateral move, at best.

we don’t need an experienced coach. We just need someone who kids would love to play for.

I vote shaq
Oh, I like this idea. Shaq is so rich though, I doubted he want to work for peanuts

Looks like it will happen bye the weekend. I hope Iowa St loses today so we can get this rolling.

What if Stacey Augmon gets the job and he asks LJ to be an assistant coach? I think recruiting would pick up big time.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I wholly disagree with it, but I don’t think people are understanding that UNLV (and boosters) have a hatred, not a dislike, for Augmon.

Of course I’d support it. I just wouldn’t hold your breath.

Reactions: reagan21
I wholly disagree with it, but I don’t think people are understanding that UNLV (and boosters) have a hatred, not a dislike, for Augmon.

You would think that after seeing what Juwan Howard accomplished at Michigan, they would be willing to at least take a look.

The way the UNLV athletic department is acting toward people like me, it appears they are oblivious to the damage they have done due to their actions both financially and politically over the last few years. I have an extremely soured taste towards UNLV athletic and UNLV as a whole, which will make it extremely difficult for them to get me back on board with them. The few post cards and request for donations are just not going to cut it with me as long as their culture doesn't change!

Last edited:

I will never understand this. It's such ballsack.

We’re gonna get a hot division II coach as replacement.

At this point, I will be looking for the demise of this program.

It Has been one helluva run.

watch this administration implode the Mack.

I would not mind Stacey Augmon at all. Better than Todd Simon. Much better!

I get that he has been an assistant coach all over and maybe can bring players in with his NBA cred. But the track record of guys never been a head coach before is not great, even though there have been some home runs.

A new coach would have to have feelers out all over to cash in on the transfer market for next year. What makes you think Augmon has those kind of connections to assemble much of a team from what maybe close to scratch?

I get that he has been an assistant coach all over and maybe can bring players in with his NBA cred. But the track record of guys never been a head coach before is not great, even though there have been some home runs.

A new coach would have to have feelers out all over to cash in on the transfer market for next year. What makes you think Augmon has those kind of connections to assemble much of a team from what maybe close to scratch?

Juwan Howard didn't have much pedigree either. Augmon has a lot of NBA experience as an assistant, just like Howard.

WTF do people become boosters if they hate the players who were part of the greatest legacy of all-time at UNLV? That's like UNC boosters hating on Michael Jordan or Duke boosters hating Grant Hill.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT