ADVERTISEMENT

The Future…

I'm not really sure what to do with this roster going into next year.

I'm making the following assumptions:

Departures - If Muoka decides to stay then I will assume Karl Jones will transfer. LuRod goes pro as he'll get paid after this season. Jackie Johnson III takes his 10th on the team TS% to a smaller program where he'll get burn and be more successful. Bonus prediction, some jerk on these boards will see him have a decent season and say 'we should have kept him'

Jackie Johnson III - Transfer
David Muoka - Transfer/Graduate
Luis Rodriguez - GLeague/Europe
Jordan McCabe - Graduate
Elijah Parquet - Graduate
Elijah Harkless - Graduate

Arrivals

Brooklyn HIcks - 6'3" Combo Guard - Freshman
Robert Whaley - 6'6" Forward (Tweener Post) - Junior

Returning

Keshon Gilbert
Justin "aka David" Webster
Victor Iwuakor
Keyshawn Hall
Shane Nowell
Isaiah Cottrell
Karl Jones

Needs

Wing
PG
Frontcourt Depth
Bench Shooter

Available Schollies - I'm going to assume we miss out on DJ Thomas who doesn't reclassify (at least not for us), the remaining 4 schollies will go to a mid-major PG transfer, a p5 transfer down wing player, and a freshman or juco shooter. The last schollie we hold on to or take on another transfer/developmental big.man for depth security that we didn't really have this year. If you're looking at the Verbal Commits or the Rivals Database there isn't a lot left short of reclassification on the 2023 table, most of our targets have already committed elsewhere, and those left are 'cool' at least. If we were hoping for a transformative recruiting class, this year is not going to be it.

Projected Starters - This projection is based on what we have currently. I feel that KK has been giving Nowell more minutes to get him ready for this role next year, but I think a big upside transfer could supplant him as starter. I also think that we'll see Cottrell and Iwuakor start at the same time, though I don't think they'll have a ton of mutual floor minutes especially early in the season. Conveniently, this order should reflect the order in MPG that we see next season as well.

Keshon Gilbert - JR PG
Justin "Sometimes Goes by David, I swear" Webster - RS SR SG/Wing (Covid RS)
Shane Nowell or Transfer - RS JR SF/Wing (Covid RS)
Isaiah Cottrell - RS JR Wing/PF (Medical RS)
Victor Iwuakor - RS SR PF/C (Covid RS)

Projected Depth - I think KK doesn't really like freshmen, so these predictions are in line with that, these will be the rough order of minutes given. I do think Karl Jones will see a bit more regular minutes this year because I don't think Iwuakor can always stay out of foul trouble. If our transfer wing is more of a Stretch 4, or is an instant impact guy then I see him getting more minutes and maybe taking Nowell's starting wing slot.

Keyshawn Hall - Wing/PF Depth
Transfer Wing
Transfer PG
Robert Whaley
Brooklyn Hicks
Transfer/Freshman Travis Bice/Kendall Wallace analog
Karl Jones/Transfer Big

I think we'll see a slight improvement of the record, but we miss the dance again. I'm thinking NIT (for the record I don't think we'll go to the NIT this year).
Think we still need a big. Cottrell is a 4. Jones is not the ticket.

Played H.S. ball in Chicago. ( Morgan Park) From the H.S. video below it appears he's put on 80 lbs since then. ( 3 years) Played CC ball in Las Angeles. Two vids are his Bio and a fluff video from his Junior year State Championship.

Shoot, Get this guy...If he can lose weight , he is so much better

The underclassmen can play.

The defense is better with our best defender back.

This team plays harder than any Rebel team in a long time.

NIT at a minimum, this year. Nobody will want to play us in the MWC tournament.

If most of this team comes back, we’ll be better next year.

At least three guys on this years roster should start next year. Maybe four or five. And if they did, we’d have one of the biggest, most athletic lineups in the league.

He’s a 2.

He knows he’s a 2.

The coaches know he’s a 2.

2’s can be good passers but that doesn’t make them a PG.
Ok. If you say so. IDK. I don’t talk to him or the coaches. Looks like he has the skill set for it to me, but I’m sure you’re right.

If he’s a 2, great. Looks like he can score and pass, and a hell of an athlete.

Last edited:
Reactions: bcvegaspt
Really like this kid. My only knock is he doesn't compete against the top-level H.S.'s He's one level down.
AAU team? Thought it was one of the best in Puget Sound Area. Also the back up center for Gonzaga played in that league.

By the way for all of you who don't know, O'Dea HS has 400 students. Look at their grads including starting center for Orlando Majic. Size of school does matter, but quality of the athlete is what coaches look at.

Sounds like a strong core 4 to me. I think those four could log 50% of the minutes on a competitive MWC team. Hall needs to improve his fitness for that, but he should.

Maybe Hicks and Whaley add 10mpg each.

Leaves roughly 70 or 80mpg to fill. Probably 4 guys. Likely need two legit bigs, and at least one true PG.

Dedan sure would help….

Seems like we need to recruit four new guys who can log serious minutes next year, plus a couple more who can develop on the bench or provide emergency depth.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Who on the roster would you keep next year?
Nowell and Rodriguez for some continuity, Gilbert if he can accept that he’s not a starter and that he’s not a PG. (Webster, too, if he has any eligibility left. I can’t keep track anymore).

Maybe one or two others if they accept that they need to practice hard and clap during games.

Nowell and Rodriguez for some continuity, Gilbert if he can accept that he’s not a starter and that he’s not a PG. (Webster, too, if he has any eligibility left. I can’t keep track anymore).

Maybe one or two others if they accept that they need to practice hard and clap during games.
LuRod is one that earlier in the season I thought I’d love to have back, but now less so. If he wanted to come back to a reserve role, maybe. I think we need him to play half the minutes, take about 25% of the shots he takes today, and if he isn’t going to rebound he needs to sit. I think he could be better in an energy-burst off the bench role.

I really like Webster and could see him back in a reserve role on a good team. I know he has one year of eligibility left. A guy that can shoot like he can has a place.

Both Vic and Muoka have a year left, but Cottrell will take a lot of their minutes next year and we need at least one or probably two talent upgrades in the post.

Isn't it sad that we have five games left, plus the Tourney, and we are already talking about next year? I guess it's just what Rebel basketball has become.

Isn't it sad that we have five games left, plus the Tourney, and we are already talking about next year? I guess it's just what Rebel basketball has become.
I think it’s fun to think about how quickly we could improve.

Personally, I’m still enjoying this season too. Hoping for an NIT. Not so much hope for winning the MW tournament.

Last edited:
I don’t know the plans of the staff or of Cottrell but I wouldn’t factor him into the plans for next season. He missed two years of basketball so his timing and energy won’t be up to par. That and what if he’s going to miss next season as well? Too many questions and not enough assurance for a coach who may be coaching for his job.

If Cottrell is willing to accept Jones’ role on the bench then I’m ok with him staying. If not, I wouldn’t take him back.

It may seem that I’m not a big fan of the returning players. I’m not. Webster is a good piece for next season but the rest don’t impress me a whole lot.

If Cottrell can’t be factored into next season that would be disappointing.

If he can get healthy it’s hard for me to imagine him not playing because his timing is off. Sorry.

I want to be wrong and for him to play at an AA level. I truly do. I’m just not holding my breath for it to happen.
He’s talented and an enormous kid. It’s really about betting on his health. I do get why that’s not a sure bet by any means.

Tbh I can see us having 8-10 new guys on the roster next year. I have an eery feeling that Gilbert transfers this offseason along with Hall. Nowell probably stays now with all the PT he is getting.

Tbh I can see us having 8-10 new guys on the roster next year. I have an eery feeling that Gilbert transfers this offseason along with Hall. Nowell probably stays now with all the PT he is getting.
If we're going to be competitive with the top of the conference, we'll need to impact guys next year. Yes, we'll get progression from current players, but we need at least 1-2 (preferably more) scoring threats. Some of the incoming FR look good, but it's hard to tell what sort of impact you'll get from most FR.

Reactions: rebel5280
I made this argument on twitter. Sorry, theres not enough talent there to keep guys together. Id love to see Gilbert and Hall return and Nowell stays and Cotrell back healthy, but after that, A- theres alot of Sr. on this team and then the rest are replaceable. Roster turnover was inevitable when you only sign 1 guy to your class. The time for KK to have built through HS and created a solid core was his first year. I think many people wouldve forgiven him if his first season we struggled with wins but we had a core of like 5 or 6 young guys. Instead, he got Bryce to stick around and then went easier portal route to try and maximize that around transfers. While roster continuity would be great, were 2 years to late to go that route and with a likely "win now" season on the horizon, there will be a lot of turnover this offseason and the next. It's the nature of the beast when you don t have HS classes.

It is sad that most of us are talking about next season so soon. Including me. We all know that we need a MAJOR overhall to have any chance at any chance at post season next year. Like maybe 6-7 better players including replacing the better ones because they have no eligibility left. WE do need some younger talent to develop and hopefully show some promise next year. If not IMO CKK will be let go. Has to show he can develop younger talent. Not a bunch of 22 year old players.

I made this argument on twitter. Sorry, theres not enough talent there to keep guys together. Id love to see Gilbert and Hall return and Nowell stays and Cotrell back healthy, but after that, A- theres alot of Sr. on this team and then the rest are replaceable. Roster turnover was inevitable when you only sign 1 guy to your class. The time for KK to have built through HS and created a solid core was his first year. I think many people wouldve forgiven him if his first season we struggled with wins but we had a core of like 5 or 6 young guys. Instead, he got Bryce to stick around and then went easier portal route to try and maximize that around transfers. While roster continuity would be great, were 2 years to late to go that route and with a likely "win now" season on the horizon, there will be a lot of turnover this offseason and the next. It's the nature of the beast when you don t have HS classes.
With free transfer rules, how would you keep a team with a bunch of developing young guys? Most would get tired of bench time and transfer.

With free transfer rules, how would you keep a team with a bunch of developing young guys? Most would get tired of bench time and transfer.
Id have played them. He had nothing to lose the first year and even this year if there was a strong solid young core. If you had 7 or 8 freshman/sophomores, but lost 4 to transfers then you still have 4... Like I said, year 1/2 with that approach, no one bats an eye at finishing about where we are in conference. Its not easy, you have to work to keep kids, but there are a lot of schools out there that still do develop players, even at top level programs.
But... The alure of the portal took that dream away, so now we've got no choice but to change roster over as quickly as possible, which sacrifices freshman development.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT