ADVERTISEMENT

The Future…

Do you really want to give him reasons to go elsewhere!?
Sometimes a boatload of cash, NIL deal isn’t enough incentive..

Gotta keep a recruit happy these days. And you never know if kids these days are into that sort of thing.

Aww man, what are u doing here downstairs on the basketball boards?

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Final season of Eligibility:

Muoka 23-24
Iwuakor 23-24
Webster 23-24
Rodriguez 23-24
Jones 23-24

Gilbert 24-25
Johnson 24-25
Nowell 24-25
Cottrell 24-25*

Hall 25-26
(Whaley 25-26)

(Hicks 26-27)

*IC could RS
Revisiting this.

If Gilbert, Hall, Nowell & Cottrell return next year we’ll be really good.

A couple of the top group returning would be nice as well. Vic, Webster and LuRod seem possible. Feels hard to imagine Jones and Muoka returning for small minutes.

JJ doesn’t seem in the plans at the moment either but maybe that could change.

Revisiting this.

A couple of the top group returning would be nice as well. Vic, Webster and LuRod seem possible. Feels hard to imagine Jones and Muoka returning for small minutes.

UMMMM!!!!!! NO! We are talent deficient . That is why we are struggling against really bad teams. We got some decent to good pieces. Most of those i think graduate. U get 20 of the best players from the MWC and how many are UNLV players???

if you don’t think Gilbert, Hall, Nowell and Cottrell are talented enough you’re nuts.

Those 4 would occupy half our MPG next year. Probably more.

Last edited:
Reactions: rebelzzz
if you don’t think Gilbert, Hall, Nowell and Cottrell are talented enough you’re nuts.

Those 4 would occupy half our MPG next year. Probably more.
I am not saying they are not talented. If u think those 4 and we replace the players leaving with lesser talent we will be at the bottom of the MWC again. We are next to last place . U r saying our 3 best players are coming off the bench or injured??For us to be better next year that statement has to be true.

I don’t think I understand what you’re saying at all. Thanks.
What i am saying is we need better players. IF u think those 4 are our cornerstones to having a chance at the MWC title next year then i will tell you are wrong IMO!! We are losing alot of experience 4 next year. Replacing those with Hicks and Hopefully Thomas and expecting those Freshman to carry us is asking too much. We are not void of talent. We just need to upgrade at the minimum 3 positions ! Maybe 4 depending on who leaves.

There's going to be like 8 scholarships open for next year by the time the dust settles... KK will go get a bunch of rotational guys from P5 schools that can't get minutes just like he's done previously. Hopefully they are a bit taller than the 6-3" average he signed this offseason...
Someone like Ejifor at Kansas who just can't get into rotation consistently and will likely be recruited over in offseason..

Cringe at calling NIT good, but a strong finish & NIT in year two followed by NCAA in year 3 would be.
No chance we go to the NIT this year. Sorry but What games aren’t you guys watching? At some point reality will need to set in. We are not a good team.

IF u think those 4 are our cornerstones to having a chance at the MWC title next year then i will tell you are wrong IMO!!
Probably last nights game wasn’t enough to change your mind about the potential of the underclassmen on this team, right? Need to see more? That would be fair. Me as well, but I do think it’s coming.

Let Hall & Nowell continue to get these minutes and I think you might come around to their potential. Freshman & Sophomore that they are.

Also seems pretty silly to not want guys like Webster and Iwaukor back if you can keep them.

it’s also absolutely nuts to count this team out of an NIT bid at this point.

Probably last nights game wasn’t enough to change your mind about the potential of the underclassmen on this team, right? Need to see more? That would be fair. Me as well, but I do think it’s coming.

Let Hall & Nowell continue to get these minutes and I think you might come around to their potential. Freshman & Sophomore that they are.

Also seems pretty silly to not want guys like Webster and Iwaukor back if you can keep them.

it’s also absolutely nuts to count this team out of an NIT bid at this point.
NIT. All teams that won their conference and didn't get to NCAA's are automatic selections. ( i.e. teams in one-bid conferences that didn't win their conference tournament) This can take between 1/4 and 1/3 of the selections. The rest are selected by a committee. If you look at last year's bracket it is about 1/3 of the teams selected from the process listed above and the large majority of the rest are P5 teams that placed in the middle for their conference and had a winning record overall. For instance, Mississippi State was selected with an 18-16 record and 10th in the SEC.

Yes, we most likely will have a record and NET rating that looks like we should be selected for the NIT, but I'm not holding out much hope for that.

I still can’t believe people don’t like Webster he’s the best shooter we have had in years. He’s almost automatic on the catch and shoot. Someone this off-season on this board tried to say we should’ve kept josh baker over Webster. Ridiculous.

Also Vic isn’t the best on Offense but he is a really good defender and is very athletic. If he gets stuck on a guard after a screen he can stay with them most the time. He had 5 blocks yesterday and 2 steals.

Reactions: AnthemRebel
I still can’t believe people don’t like Webster he’s the best shooter we have had in years. He’s almost automatic on the catch and shoot. Someone this off-season on this board tried to say we should’ve kept josh baker over Webster. Ridiculous.

Also Vic isn’t the best on Offense but he is a really good defender and is very athletic. If he gets stuck on a guard after a screen he can stay with them most the time. He had 5 blocks yesterday and 2 steals.
It was obvious that Baker wasn’t the same after his injury. I hope that he is now fully recovered and that his basketball skills have returned. If they haven’t, I hope that he’s 100% healthy. Basketball is a distant second to me.

I still can’t believe people don’t like Webster
He’s a really nice player to have in this league. Great shooter & high IQ. Small but athletic enough and a willing defender.

If we develop the super talented offense guys like Hall and Nowell, and next year Cottrell to demand double teams, Webster becomes even more valuable. I could see Webster as the sixth man on a conference winner.

Reactions: RRebel
Yes, we most likely will have a record and NET rating that looks like we should be selected for the NIT, but I'm not holding out much hope for that.
I get the historic bias toward this but it does seem like the MWC is getting some respect this year. It’s better than some P5 leagues..

"I still can’t believe people don’t like Webster he’s the best shooter we have had in years."

He's the best 3-point shooter in the country at 50.7%. Ahead of a kid from New Orleans.

Agree, Vic is good minutes. He’s athletic, strong and active on defense. Gives 100% effort.

I’m not sure why, but he’s one of those guys I could see staying that extra year. I hope he does. He can absolutely guard most MWC bigs.

Reactions: RRebel
Revisiting this.

We have Hicks and Whaley coming in next year. Whaley will be a junior. That would give us Isaiah Cottrell, Keshon Gilbert, Nowell, Hicks, Hall, Whaley as a 3d year dominated team. Then we also have a bunch of guys still eligbible for next year. Of course, Brooklyn is a pg in his HS and will be a freshman. Cottrell would have to have a medical redshirt given to him for second time. Whaley would be your rebounder. HIs shooting percentages are good but the competition is suspect as they blow out everyone. That would mean we are all over 6'4 and would look real strong if we can get another big man to bang with SDSU. Except for JJIII who can probably fill in where Webster was used.

Last edited:
We have Hicks and Whaley coming in next year. Whaley will be a junior. That would give us Isaiah Cottrell, Keshon Gilbert, Nowell, Hicks, Hall, Whaley as a 3d year dominated team. Then we also have a bunch of guys still eligbible for next year. Of course, Brooklyn is a pg in his HS and will be a freshman. Cottrell would have to have a medical redshirt given to him for second time. Whaley would be your rebounder. HIs shooting percentages are good but the competition is suspect as they blow out everyone. That would mean we are all over 6'4 and would look real strong if we can get another big man to bang with SDSU. Except for JJIII who can probably fill in where Webster was used.
It's hard to talk about next year with so much left this year. But......

1. Muoka - IMO we need someone that can play defense at 2/3 his current level but can at least make a layup. Along the same line, I thought VIC would come back.
2. We will need an experienced point guard or we'll be halfway through next season thinking of the good old days with McCabe. Gilbert isn't a point. A freshman will need time.
3. I thought Webster had a year left. Am I wrong? Or Is he leaving?
4. Harkless takes and misses a lot of shots - but he still scores loads of points. We'll need a replacement. We'll need a scorer like him. We had Hamilton, and Harkless was an acceptable downgrade due to his defense capabilities. But we can't downgrade from Harkless.

Webster has another year of eligibility.

If the Freshman PG is Dedan, no ramp up required. He would play on this years team, right now.

Hall & Nowell should be scoring upgrades next year.

LuRod, Vic, Webster all have a year left if they want it.
Cottrell, Nowell, Hall, Gilbert all have multiple years left.
Muoka, Jones, Jackie, can return but they shouldn’t/won’t.
Harkless, Parquet, McCabe all done.

Whaley and Hicks are coming in so that should leave 4 scholarships for Kruger to fill. Hopefully 1 of them is Dedan coming here and reclassifying.

We need a pg and big men to fill out the roster. If we don't get some legit players in those two area look for another 6-9 place in the MWC. IC may be real good but we need another couple to help out and in case of injury. If Gilbert is the pg look for our turnover rate to go way up.

Good comments except for JJ who I think will transfer as it seems the coaches soured on short gunners.

Reactions: WarthogRebel
LuRod, Vic, Webster all have a year left if they want it.
Cottrell, Nowell, Hall, Gilbert all have multiple years left.
Muoka, Jones, Jackie, can return but they shouldn’t/won’t.
Harkless, Parquet, McCabe all done.

Whaley and Hicks are coming in so that should leave 4 scholarships for Kruger to fill. Hopefully 1 of them is Dedan coming here and reclassifying.
I think Vic and Webster come back. LuRod is as good as gone imo because he can make money somewhere. Jackie will transfer for sure and Muoka is gone. I think Jones stays just based off of the fact that he wont get an offer to play anywhere else on the D1 level.

Is Jones really that bad or is he in some proverbial dog house? I ask because, see Nowell and Hall not getting minutes as oversight by the staff?

I think Vic and Webster come back. LuRod is as good as gone imo because he can make money somewhere. Jackie will transfer for sure and Muoka is gone. I think Jones stays just based off of the fact that he wont get an offer to play anywhere else on the D1 level.
I think, with help from the staff, Jones could get minutes in SWAC, MEAC, SOUTHLAND etc. If he wants to go. But I think he has value. Big body and he's someone who doesn't expect loads of minutes. Hard to have 13 players who each expect 30 minutes PT.

Reactions: RRebel and billd99s
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT