ADVERTISEMENT

The Future…

We need a pg and big men to fill out the roster. If we don't get some legit players in those two area look for another 6-9 place in the MWC. IC may be real good but we need another couple to help out and in case of injury. If Gilbert is the pg look for our turnover rate to go way up.
My son made a comment about Gilbert that gives me pause. He yelled, "Reverse it". He needs to turn around and look for the next open man. Don't over commit to the drive.

I'm not really sure what to do with this roster going into next year.

I'm making the following assumptions:

Departures - If Muoka decides to stay then I will assume Karl Jones will transfer. LuRod goes pro as he'll get paid after this season. Jackie Johnson III takes his 10th on the team TS% to a smaller program where he'll get burn and be more successful. Bonus prediction, some jerk on these boards will see him have a decent season and say 'we should have kept him'

Jackie Johnson III - Transfer
David Muoka - Transfer/Graduate
Luis Rodriguez - GLeague/Europe
Jordan McCabe - Graduate
Elijah Parquet - Graduate
Elijah Harkless - Graduate

Arrivals

Brooklyn HIcks - 6'3" Combo Guard - Freshman
Robert Whaley - 6'6" Forward (Tweener Post) - Junior

Returning

Keshon Gilbert
Justin "aka David" Webster
Victor Iwuakor
Keyshawn Hall
Shane Nowell
Isaiah Cottrell
Karl Jones

Needs

Wing
PG
Frontcourt Depth
Bench Shooter

Available Schollies - I'm going to assume we miss out on DJ Thomas who doesn't reclassify (at least not for us), the remaining 4 schollies will go to a mid-major PG transfer, a p5 transfer down wing player, and a freshman or juco shooter. The last schollie we hold on to or take on another transfer/developmental big.man for depth security that we didn't really have this year. If you're looking at the Verbal Commits or the Rivals Database there isn't a lot left short of reclassification on the 2023 table, most of our targets have already committed elsewhere, and those left are 'cool' at least. If we were hoping for a transformative recruiting class, this year is not going to be it.

Projected Starters - This projection is based on what we have currently. I feel that KK has been giving Nowell more minutes to get him ready for this role next year, but I think a big upside transfer could supplant him as starter. I also think that we'll see Cottrell and Iwuakor start at the same time, though I don't think they'll have a ton of mutual floor minutes especially early in the season. Conveniently, this order should reflect the order in MPG that we see next season as well.

Keshon Gilbert - JR PG
Justin "Sometimes Goes by David, I swear" Webster - RS SR SG/Wing (Covid RS)
Shane Nowell or Transfer - RS JR SF/Wing (Covid RS)
Isaiah Cottrell - RS JR Wing/PF (Medical RS)
Victor Iwuakor - RS SR PF/C (Covid RS)

Projected Depth - I think KK doesn't really like freshmen, so these predictions are in line with that, these will be the rough order of minutes given. I do think Karl Jones will see a bit more regular minutes this year because I don't think Iwuakor can always stay out of foul trouble. If our transfer wing is more of a Stretch 4, or is an instant impact guy then I see him getting more minutes and maybe taking Nowell's starting wing slot.

Keyshawn Hall - Wing/PF Depth
Transfer Wing
Transfer PG
Robert Whaley
Brooklyn Hicks
Transfer/Freshman Travis Bice/Kendall Wallace analog
Karl Jones/Transfer Big

I think we'll see a slight improvement of the record, but we miss the dance again. I'm thinking NIT (for the record I don't think we'll go to the NIT this year).

Last edited:
Reactions: AnthemRebel
I feel like if Big Guard and Nowell have a hunch during the offseason that they wont start next year, they transfer. Ice is a wildcard for me. I'm not expecting too much until I see that he can stay on the court,

Reactions: dcut03
I feel like if Big Guard and Nowell have a hunch during the offseason that they wont start next year, they transfer. Ice is a wildcard for me. I'm not expecting too much until I see that he can stay on the court,
It will more likely be Hall since I think Nowell may have to sit a year to transfer a second time.

It will more likely be Hall since I think Nowell may have to sit a year to transfer a second time.
It's a risk for any player getting PT, with a probability of getting more, to transfer. No matter how convinced he is about his chances, he may not get anywhere near what he left.

Last edited:
It's a risk for any player getting PT, with a probability of getting more, to transfer. No matter how convinced you are about you chances, you may not get anywhere near what you left.
KK spoke about Shane after the Wyo game. He seems to be counting on him as a big guard who is very talented.

One add. Brooklyn Hicks is a PG at the college level.

Hard to count on a freshman PG for much, but he won’t be short on talent against MWC competition. He will earn minutes at the position.

Keshon Gilbert - JR PG
David Webster - RS SR SG/Wing (Covid RS)
This lineup would be a monster. So long and athletic.

Sub out Vic for Hall and the options on offense…. Wow

This lineup would be a monster. So long and athletic.

Sub out Vic for Hall and the options on offense…. Wow
If Hall stays, and improves his conditioning and defense, he'll be hard to keep off the floor. He's got so much offensive ability for a big guy. Pretty cool last game when he went coast to coast for the layup and foul!

If Hall stays, and improves his conditioning and defense, he'll be hard to keep off the floor. He's got so much offensive ability for a big guy. Pretty cool last game when he went coast to coast for the layup and foul!
Agree. I like watching him operate from the corner or weak side. Doesn’t matter who is guarding him, they’ll need help

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Is Jones really that bad or is he in some proverbial dog house? I ask because, see Nowell and Hall not getting minutes as oversight by the staff?
This post is so remarkably small. Congrats. Take dumb pot shots at the staff because KK didn’t play a Freshman and Sophomore soon enough (in your mind) if you want, but it’s obviously small minded. Nevermind that you probably know nothing about anything and don’t see them in practice but are still certian you’re right…. Ok dude. Clearly an “oversight”by the staff. GMAFB.

You try to pass Nowell and Hall’s recent success as a knock on the staff? Who’s team are you on, Genius? Maybe you’re more on the “I want to be a right” than “I want the rebels to succeed” train.

Either way, stick it dude. Kruger is a good young coach and the kids- YES I SAID KIDS- he recruited are starting to have success.

Before anyone asks- Kids = underclassmen.

Hasta.

This post is so remarkably small. Congrats. Take dumb pot shots at the staff because KK didn’t play a Freshman and Sophomore soon enough (in your mind) if you want, but it’s obviously small minded. Nevermind that you probably know nothing about anything and don’t see them in practice but are still certian you’re right…. Ok dude. Clearly an “oversight”by the staff. GMAFB.

You try to pass Nowell and Hall’s recent success as a knock on the staff? Who’s team are you on, Genius? Maybe you’re more on the “I want to be a right” than “I want the rebels to succeed” train.

Either way, stick it dude. Kruger is a good young coach and the kids- YES I SAID KIDS- he recruited are starting to have success.

Before anyone asks- Kids = underclassmen.

Hasta.
You are such a tool! If anything is mentioned in opposition of your viewpoint, you resort to name calling and the fact that you have to do so is more of an indictment of who you are than anything! I have a tip for ya, don’t respond to my post because obviously they are over your head. I don’t agree with your rah rah crap and have told you so many times, this is more of the same.

Maybe someone else can answer my question about Jones, is he really that bad or is it something else?

You are such a tool! If anything is mentioned in opposition of your viewpoint, you resort to name calling and the fact that you have to do so is more of an indictment of who you are than anything! I have a tip for ya, don’t respond to my post because obviously they are over your head. I don’t agree with your rah rah crap and have told you so many times, this is more of the same.
Weak sauce. Weak, weak sauce.
Easily offended wimp.

• Love
Reactions: RebelScrub
Maybe someone else can answer my question about Jones, is he really that bad or is it something else?
Why would they? It’s a dumb, self serving question that anyone with any sense knows the answer to.

You should be embarrassed for asking it.

Is there anyone here with any real knowledge on Jones?
You don’t care about Jones and that’s not why you were asking. Everyone reading this knows that.

Just admit that you don’t know crap and aren’t trying to do anything but hate on the coach. That’s a more fair assessment of your BS “question”.

Does anyone here know anything about the player Karl Jones, why is he not getting minutes?

Bugs Bunny GIF

Nice breakdown @Couev

Agree on most points. I’d argue Hall & Nowell start but you might be right.

Also, IDK who David Webster is, but if he’s like Justin I like him.
hahaha, that clearly started as Muoka and not sure where it went wrong. At this point I should know better than to post from my phone when i'm going to post a novel, but I'm also too old to change ha!

Edit: I even did it twice. I guess I'm fired from portable screen time moving forward.

Last edited:
  • Love
One add. Brooklyn Hicks is a PG at the college level.

Hard to count on a freshman PG for much, but he won’t be short on talent against MWC competition. He will earn minutes at the position.
He plays point right now at the HS level, but he's got lots of tape where he plays a very Harkless role on the wing and I don't think his handles are tight enough right now to be a PG full time (though that could improve with work). I think he can get you some point in a pinch, but I think he'll be a bit of swiss army knife guard. I've probably only watched about 30 minutes of highlight film though, so maybe you might have more knowledge/insight to his game than I do.

Does anyone here know anything about the player Karl Jones, why is he not getting minutes?
Played H.S. ball in Chicago. ( Morgan Park) From the H.S. video below it appears he's put on 80 lbs since then. ( 3 years) Played CC ball in Las Angeles. Two vids are his Bio and a fluff video from his Junior year State Championship.

Any relation to Bruce Jones?
😂 Bruce was a gamer

My family were excellent balllers. Bernard Jones was unguardable circa 1920
Played H.S. ball in Chicago. ( Morgan Park) From the H.S. video below it appears he's put on 80 lbs since then. ( 3 years) Played CC ball in Las Angeles. Two vids are his Bio and a fluff video from his Junior year State Championship.

All true. But please, don’t do this 🤡‘s research for him.

He’s pretending he actually cares who Karl Jones is and why he’s not logging minutes.

Poor conditioning, no offense outside of an occasional put back dunk. Also with the old defense or switching everything he had no chance to stay with guards.

Reactions: rebel5280
😂 Bruce was a gamer

My family were excellent balllers. Bernard Jones was unguardable circa 1920

All true. But please, don’t do this 🤡‘s research for him.

He’s pretending he actually cares who Karl Jones is and why he’s not logging minutes.
I did it because I wondered why we would recruit him. He's a big kid, looks like he can rebound, not hurt but only played 5 minutes all season. I think at worst he'd be good for @ 5 min a game leaning on a big and getting a rebound or two while we rested Vic or if there were foul issues on both our bigs. Guess not.

I'm not really sure what to do with this roster going into next year.

I'm making the following assumptions:

Departures - If Muoka decides to stay then I will assume Karl Jones will transfer. LuRod goes pro as he'll get paid after this season. Jackie Johnson III takes his 10th on the team TS% to a smaller program where he'll get burn and be more successful. Bonus prediction, some jerk on these boards will see him have a decent season and say 'we should have kept him'

Jackie Johnson III - Transfer
David Muoka - Transfer/Graduate
Luis Rodriguez - GLeague/Europe
Jordan McCabe - Graduate
Elijah Parquet - Graduate
Elijah Harkless - Graduate

Arrivals

Brooklyn HIcks - 6'3" Combo Guard - Freshman
Robert Whaley - 6'6" Forward (Tweener Post) - Junior

Returning

Keshon Gilbert
Justin "aka David" Webster
Victor Iwuakor
Keyshawn Hall
Shane Nowell
Isaiah Cottrell
Karl Jones

Needs

Wing
PG
Frontcourt Depth
Bench Shooter

Available Schollies - I'm going to assume we miss out on DJ Thomas who doesn't reclassify (at least not for us), the remaining 4 schollies will go to a mid-major PG transfer, a p5 transfer down wing player, and a freshman or juco shooter. The last schollie we hold on to or take on another transfer/developmental big.man for depth security that we didn't really have this year. If you're looking at the Verbal Commits or the Rivals Database there isn't a lot left short of reclassification on the 2023 table, most of our targets have already committed elsewhere, and those left are 'cool' at least. If we were hoping for a transformative recruiting class, this year is not going to be it.

Projected Starters - This projection is based on what we have currently. I feel that KK has been giving Nowell more minutes to get him ready for this role next year, but I think a big upside transfer could supplant him as starter. I also think that we'll see Cottrell and Iwuakor start at the same time, though I don't think they'll have a ton of mutual floor minutes especially early in the season. Conveniently, this order should reflect the order in MPG that we see next season as well.

Keshon Gilbert - JR PG
Justin "Sometimes Goes by David, I swear" Webster - RS SR SG/Wing (Covid RS)

Projected Depth - I think KK doesn't really like freshmen, so these predictions are in line with that, these will be the rough order of minutes given. I do think Karl Jones will see a bit more regular minutes this year because I don't think Iwuakor can always stay out of foul trouble. If our transfer wing is more of a Stretch 4, or is an instant impact guy then I see him getting more minutes and maybe taking Nowell's starting wing slot.

Keyshawn Hall - Wing/PF Depth
Transfer Wing
Transfer PG
Robert Whaley
Brooklyn Hicks
Transfer/Freshman Travis Bice/Kendall Wallace analog
Karl Jones/Transfer Big

I think we'll see a slight improvement of the record, but we miss the dance again. I'm thinking NIT (for the record I don't think we'll go to the NIT this year).
I wish we had Travis Bice. Even at what 50 years old, I am sure he would be our best shooter.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Poor conditioning, no offense outside of an occasional put back dunk. Also with the old defense or switching everything he had no chance to stay with guards.
Correct of course. It’s not hard to see Jones was recruited to be post depth.

A person who would question why Jones isn’t getting minutes is doing so either out of intellectual dishonesty, or because they’re stupid. One of the two

I did it because I wondered why we would recruit him. He's a big kid, looks like he can rebound, not hurt but only played 5 minutes all season. I think at worst he'd be good for @ 5 min a game leaning on a big and getting a rebound or two while we rested Vic or if there were foul issues on both our bigs. Guess not.
Good post. That was his upside, I agree

His downside was having zero in-game impact, which is about what he’s had.

I’m not disappointed in that at all. It just means we haven’t had enough injuries (thank god) to play him.

You can’t recruit a roster of 13 guys you expect to play

Much appreciated!

• Haha
This! Why was he brought here?

This what I wanted to know, is he getting any better or not and I guess not. Thanks

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT