ADVERTISEMENT

Slick /Quick Rick is interested in the job

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does my faith have to do with this? How do you even know if I am a woman of faith? The parties took place in the college dorms, so there were cameras and security. As the author said, it is hard to believe he didn't know. A HC is required to have control over his staff and players. I don't hate Pitino. As a season ticket holder for 29 seasons, since I graduated, I lived thru the NCAA persecution years and I don't want to give the NCAA any excuse to target UNLV again. What is so hard to understand about that.

Because you are making judgements based off of assumptions and rumors. The same crap people did to Tark which you should have some sympathy for.

Reactions: Mjs_702
Guess the days of being "Captain of the Ship" and the "Buck Stops Here" are over......

Suppose it doesn't matter. Everyone already thinks Tark and UNLV were a bunch of cheaters. Hiring someone, whether directly or indirectly tied to a cheating University won't change people's minds. They will just be: See, UNLV at it again.

Win at all costs. No need for honor.

Reactions: Rebel Chi-girl
What does my faith have to do with this? How do you even know if I am a woman of faith? The parties took place in the college dorms, so there were cameras and security. As the author said, it is hard to believe he didn't know. A HC is required to have control over his staff and players. I don't hate Pitino. As a season ticket holder for 29 seasons, since I graduated, I lived thru the NCAA persecution years and I don't want to give the NCAA any excuse to target UNLV again. What is so hard to understand about that.

Call it an educated hunch based on the wording of some of your posts..Is RP supposed to know everything that goes on in the dorms? How out of the ordinary is it supposed to look for college students bringing girls back to their dorm rooms? I'm legitimately confused at the premise of your logic here.

I don't give a damn what people think about UNLV. A good percentage of people across the country still think we only won because of cheating.

We should never allow other peoples opinions decide who we hire as a coach.

Still, for as long as he has coached, he has not had enough problems to scare me away.

Because you are making judgements based off of assumptions and rumors. The same crap people did to Tark which you should have some sympathy for.
When the president of the university imposes a post season ban, it is based on fact not rumor/assumptions. DON'T EVER put Tark and Pitino in the same boat. But the same NCAA trouble could happen if we hire Pitino. Tark was told he could leave Long Beach St.and there would be no trouble for him and look what happened to UNLV.

Because I am too lazy to do it myself, and I acknowledge that there are plenty of examples of me being behind before, I would love to see somebody go ahead and post these examples that make RP such a bad person. Or why he is considered a cheater.

When the president of the university imposes a post season ban, it is based on fact not rumor/assumptions. DON'T EVER put Tark and Pitino in the same boat. But the same NCAA trouble could happen if we hire Pitino. Tark was told he could leave Long Beach St.and there would be no trouble for him and look what happened to UNLV.

Wait... What?

smh

Again... So far, nobody has even shown he knew anything about it.

You are assuming he knew about it, the same way the rest of the country assumed allegations against Tark were correct. See how that works? I compared them again.

I don't give a damn what people think about UNLV. A good percentage of people across the country still think we only won because of cheating.

We should never allow other peoples opinions decide who we hire as a coach.

Still, for as long as he has coached, he has not had enough problems to scare me away.
Well as someone who has 2 BA degrees and an MBA degree from UNLV, I care. I'm proud to be an Alumna of UNLV and I don't want a man of low character coaching the Runnin' Rebels.

I'm all for slick Rick coming here. I'm tired of losing to whales Vagina, Fresno, UNR and every other team in this crap conference! !!!

Wait... What?

smh

Again... So far, nobody has even shown he knew anything about it.

You are assuming he knew about it, the same way the rest of the country assumed allegations against Tark were correct. See how that works? I compared them again.
So if he has nothing to do with the violations, then why would Louisville let him go? So if your right, he won't even be looking for a new job. So I guess I hope your right.

Well as someone who has 2 BA degrees and an MBA degree from UNLV, I care. I'm proud to be an Alumna of UNLV and I don't want a man of low character coaching the Runnin' Rebels.
What year or years did you graduate from UNLV. That should tell me a little about your relationship with the Runnin' Rebels!

Well as a proud alumni myself, I would be over the moon happy to get a man with this "low character" and incredible coaching abilities to coach my team.

Your posts and opinions sure are selective!...

- you call me "fool" in a post, after accusing me of personal attacks.

- you vigorously and constantly absolve your boy Rice of all blame, passing it onto the staff and players, yet then have the exact opposite thoughts about Pitino.

- you use the quote above, yet have a photo of yourself with Tark in your profile pic. Yet by your precise logic, UNLV should never, EVER have gone near Tark in the first place.

Assuming the investigation finds nothing on Pitino then you absolutely have to make that hire.

If the investigation shows Pitino may have had knowledge of the events surrounding the scandal, but nothing to directly implicate him, it becomes a buyer beware situation. UNLV will have to weigh the risks and rewards.

If anything ties Pitino directly to the scandal, this could be non issue.

Anybody trying to find morality in college sports should look elsewhere.

Last thing. If Pitino is a 'free agent' next year there are going to be other suitors, some of whom will have deeper pockets than UNLV.

Reactions: rebelluver
Even if Pitino is found to have direct ties, there will still be plenty of suitors.

It will take a lot of shenanigans going on in Kentucky for me to want to pass on him (if we have any shot).

As Bull mentions, you have to weigh the positives vs the negatives and the positives are pretty damn strong.

We would be one of the top stories in sports for a time, depending on when the hire was made.

We WILL win. The guy doesn't lose, simple as that.

If the stadium goes through, combine that with a Pitino hire and our profile as far as a sports program goes up immensely, immediately.

The conference as a whole gets more press coverage in basketball season.

Before we play a game with him as coach, season ticket sales go through the roof.

These things go on and on. Even if he comes over with some baggage, none of the above will change.

Worst case scenario, even if the NCAA starts looking closer at the program, the dude should be smart enough to give them nothing to look at. It's not like he is going to send recruits to Spearmint Rhino on their visits.

Besides the possible negative attention from the NCAA, I don't see much downside to the possibility.

If that is what it takes to get the boosters to sign some checks, I am all for it.

Reactions: ThailandReb
He was/is married and the woman wasn't his wife. Lowest of the low.

Look if all jobs hired and fired based on infidelity the unemployment rate would around 50%.

If this NCAA investigation finds nothing on Pitino, UNLV almost has to hire the guy if the money works out.

The more the NCAA finds, the more reservations UNLV and fans should have with the hire.

It all comes down to how much crap sticks to Rick when the investigation is done, and how comfortable UNLV is with the level of said crap.

Reactions: ThailandReb
Rebel Girl - You are saying Pitino is guilty and that Tark was not. Based on your believe that Pitino must have known, so he is guilty, means Tark must also be guilty, he just didn't get caught for things he was doing. I really like Tark and did feel like he was railroaded for things he didn't do, but his program was far from squeaky clean.

I know for a fact that several of his players were paid to work at a place and being paid very well. The problem was that they never showed up to actually work at the job! Who set this up, I could not tell you, since I never observed Tark involved, but you in the same way are saying Pitino must have known what was going on, so that means you would have to say the same about Tark. Everything I have seen to date does not connect Pitino to what happend in the same way Tark can't control everything that every coach, booster, etc. does within a program.

I will even give you the name of the agency. It was which was owned at the time by a big basketball booster. The problem is that they never showed up except to pick up their paychecks every two weeks. How do I know that? I was going to school at UNLV, and worked at the same place for about two years while in school. So to sit and attack Pitino for not being honest and defend Tark is being a hypocrite.

Tark was told he could leave Long Beach St.and there would be no trouble for him and look what happened to UNLV.

That was going on 50 years ago. It's a new world now. The notion that the ncaa will chase Pitino in the way they chased Tark, I just don't see it.

And BTW, "what happened to UNLV" was 2 decades of winning basketball. All because they hired the guy some probably thought was a "risk".

Last edited:
Rebel Girl - You are saying Pitino is guilty and that Tark was not. Based on your believe that Pitino must have known, so he is guilty, means Tark must also be guilty, he just didn't get caught for things he was doing. I really like Tark and did feel like he was railroaded for things he didn't do, but his program was far from squeaky clean.

I know for a fact that several of his players were paid to work at a place and being paid very well. The problem was that they never showed up to actually work at the job! Who set this up, I could not tell you, since I never observed Tark involved, but you in the same way are saying Pitino must have known what was going on, so that means you would have to say the same about Tark. Everything I have seen to date does not connect Pitino to what happend in the same way Tark can't control everything that every coach, booster, etc. does within a program.

I will even give you the name of the agency. It was which was owned at the time by a big basketball booster. The problem is that they never showed up except to pick up their paychecks every two weeks. How do I know that? I was going to school at UNLV, and worked at the same place for about two years while in school. So to sit and attack Pitino for not being honest and defend Tark is being a hypocrite.
I loved Tark so I ain't going to get into it.

But Pitino and Tark swam in the same side of the pool. They had more in common than some are choosing to believe.

Cannot call one an angel and one Satan. You just can't.

I ain't a fan of Pitino... still bitter about the way he made complete fools out of UNLV (obviously with great help by the unforgettably incompetent duo of Harter and Cavagnaro) during his first flirtation with coaching here. He's as sleazy as they come, and deserves some of the blame for the scandal at UL whether he knew about it or not. He's the HC, after all.

That being said, he's long been one of the very best in the business, and if it's possible to bring him here, i'd be completely and enthusiastically on board.

Your posts and opinions sure are selective!...

- you call me "fool" in a post, after accusing me of personal attacks.

- you vigorously and constantly absolve your boy Rice of all blame, passing it onto the staff and players, yet then have the exact opposite thoughts about Pitino.

- you use the quote above, yet have a photo of yourself with Tark in your profile pic. Yet by your precise logic, UNLV should never, EVER have gone near Tark in the first place.

I know exactly which booster you are referring to, Tom Wiesner. My brother worked for him and even married Tom's administrative assistant. Tom very generously paid for the wedding. I'll admit I was naive about this situation but you have also validated my point. What Tark did was 25 years ago. I believe Lon Krueger and Dave Rice have rehabilitated UNLV's reputation, so why hire an old school coach who still operates that way. Especially one who will be leaving his university in disgrace. This will only bring back old attitudes toward UNLV. I understand wanting to win, but why can't we get a proven younger coach who doesn't have such a slimey reputation.

That was going on 50 years ago. It's a new world now. The notion that the ncaa will chase Pitino in the way they chased Tark, I just don't see it.

And BTW, "what happened to UNLV" was 2 decades of winning basketball. All because they hired the guy some probably thought was a "risk".
Not so much chase Pitino, but punish UNLV. The NCAA never even offered a public statement when Tark died, showing they still harbor animosity. I'm afraid they will come after UNLV just because we will have opened the door with Pitino's hiring. He could probably go anywhere else and that university will not be bothered but if we hire him I'll bet they come after us again. I still think he is a total sleaze ball but if we hire him and the NCAA leaves us alone than great.

I know exactly which booster you are referring to, Tom Wiesner. My brother worked for him and even married Tom's administrative assistant. Tom very generously paid for the wedding. I'll admit I was naive about this situation but you have also validated my point. What Tark did was 25 years ago. I believe Lon Krueger and Dave Rice have rehabilitated UNLV's reputation, so why hire an old school coach who still operates that way. Especially one who will be leaving his university in disgrace. This will only bring back old attitudes toward UNLV. I understand wanting to win, but why can't we get a proven younger coach who doesn't have such a slimey reputation.
Because pitino is one of the top 5 coaches in college basketball right now? Who knows if he will be leaving his university in disgrace? More assumptions. It's been stated pretty clearly my bull I think, if he comes out clean there should be no reason they don't go with him. Depending if some stuff sticks, then the university can weigh their options. If he gets hit then you stay away.

Just because his moral character is a little off doesn't mean you should stay away. There isn't a better coach you could get if he becomes available.

Btw, nice job back pedaling.

My question then : are you proud of your degrees or do they embarrass you? And if you love Tark and believed in what Tark stood for... If you had his back and all that good jazz ... When you know maybe things weren't completely above board.... How can you criticize Pitino? Trying to protect the "rebuilt reputation" of UNLV while you were also celebration a rogue staff... Just reeks of hypocrisy.

Is it because Pitino cheated on his wife? Is that what this is all about?

When it comes down to it, Tark was far more vilified than Pitino ever was or probably ever will be. And you were ok with Tark because you believe he was "innocent" (even though you admit everything wasn't above board), but you're not ok with Pitino because he's "guilty".

Listen, I've got no dog in this fight. If UNLV gets Pitino, so be it, I'm rooting for the Rebels and I'm not going to feel bad about it. If they don't and go another direction, same thing. I just don't get how you can be ok with one guy and not the other.

My question then : are you proud of your degrees or do they embarrass you? And if you love Tark and believed in what Tark stood for... If you had his back and all that good jazz ... When you know maybe things weren't completely above board.... How can you criticize Pitino? Trying to protect the "rebuilt reputation" of UNLV while you were also celebration a rogue staff... Just reeks of hypocrisy.

Is it because Pitino cheated on his wife? Is that what this is all about?

When it comes down to it, Tark was far more vilified than Pitino ever was or probably ever will be. And you were ok with Tark because you believe he was "innocent" (even though you admit everything wasn't above board), but you're not ok with Pitino because he's "guilty".

I know Tark was no choir boy but the reason I supported Tark was because the persecution by the NCAA was never about what Tark did wrong at UNLV but what happened at Long Beach St. and I resented the fact that UNLV players, most of whom weren't even born when the violation happened at a different university, were being punished. I'm proud of my degrees and UNLV. I think even Tark would agree that he would not have fought the NCAA if they were going after him for something he did wrong at LBS or even UNLV but to clear him and tell him he can coach elsewhere with no problems than go after him and UNLV decades later just because they hired him was total BS. The problem I have with Pitino is times have changed and he is still old school. With schools now paying stipends to the players, we don't need a coach who is still breaking rules. Pitino's personal life serves only to demonstrate his character or lack there of. I wonder if Zimm's mom or Pat McCaw's mom would like a man like that molding their sons. As I said, I just don't want to see UNLV dragged thru the NCAA BS again just because we hired Pitino. I don't think what he can do for UNLV is worth the wrath of the NCAA or the damage to UNLV's reputation. But as we all know, it is up to a few big $ boosters and my opinion doesn't matter.

I know Tark was no choir boy but the reason I supported Tark was because the persecution by the NCAA was never about what Tark did wrong at UNLV but what happened at Long Beach St. and I resented the fact that UNLV players, most of whom weren't even born when the violation happened at a different university, were being punished. I'm proud of my degrees and UNLV. I think even Tark would agree that he would not have fought the NCAA if they were going after him for something he did wrong at LBS or even UNLV but to clear him and tell him he can coach elsewhere with no problems than go after him and UNLV decades later just because they hired him was total BS. The problem I have with Pitino is times have changed and he is still old school. With schools now paying stipends to the players, we don't need a coach who is still breaking rules. Pitino's personal life serves only to demonstrate his character or lack there of. I wonder if Zimm's mom or Pat McCaw's mom would like a man like that molding their sons. As I said, I just don't want to see UNLV dragged thru the NCAA BS again just because we hired Pitino. I don't think what he can do for UNLV is worth the wrath of the NCAA or the damage to UNLV's reputation. But as we all know, it is up to a few big $ boosters and my opinion doesn't matter.

I was trying to help & give you a life preserver earlier but....

You can't be outraged at Tark's persecution at the hands of the NCAA for his alleged crimes at Long Beach state, only to follow it up by saying you don't support Pitino for possible misconduct at a previous school. That is by definition hypocrisy.

If Pitino being a filanderer bothers you, and is a deal breaker thats fine. Nothing wrong with saying you think he is a scum bag. Not sure its a valid reason to not hire the guy though.

If you don't like some of the rumors about Rick floating around and think he would bring to much NCAA heat to the program, I could understand it.

You have used certain points of view to bolster your own argument, only to turn around and use very similar sounding points to tear down the arguments of others.

You are totally entitled to your opinion and there is nothing wrong with being against the hire. How you have presented your argument has been all wrong though.

I am for the hire as of today. Depending on what information comes out in the investigation, and how close Pitino was to the scandal, that could change.

It looks like you feel there is a little to much heat surrounding Pitino right now. Nothing wrong with that. I can understand people having reservations.

We all need to consider what baggage any candidate brings with them. We don't want to hire a guy only to have to erase wins or remove banners in 5 years or end up on probation. That would accomplish nothing. Right now the rewards outweigh the risks, however that could change in the upcoming months.

Last edited:
Meanwhile at UNC, dbag Williams goes untouched despite his "student athletes" getting passing grades from classes that don't even exit.

Of course Pitino knew, all these top programs provide hookers and what not to their top players, welcome to the real world!

The Pitino era is over at UL, no way he stays. I believe he's going to be out next coach at UNLV and this may come out real soon!

Meanwhile at UNC, dbag Williams goes untouched despite his "student athletes" getting passing grades from classes that don't even exit.

Of course Pitino knew, all these top programs provide hookers and what not to their top players, welcome to the real world!

The Pitino era is over at UL, no way he stays. I believe he's going to be out next coach at UNLV and this may come out real soon!

The past 2 days in hearing Rick talk, he has shown zero signs of leaving UofL.

The past 2 days in hearing Rick talk, he has shown zero signs of leaving UofL.

You can feel the nervous in this post...

And by the way, what Louisville has chosen to do to Trey Lewis and Damion Lee is absolutely shameful. Takes a special kind of selfish to screw those two kids that badly.

You can feel the nervous in this post...

And by the way, what Louisville has chosen to do to Trey Lewis and Damion Lee is absolutely shameful. Takes a special kind of selfish to screw those two kids that badly.
LOL I am far from nervous. If Rick is forced out we will just go out and get another elite coach. We will always be fine. Just think it's weird that you all are getting your hopes up based on a lone rumor from the Las Vegas Review Journal

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT