ADVERTISEMENT

BM to UCLA?

Just to clarify the tweet; I did NOT say that BM is going to UCLA in this tweet. Not as of 11:25am on February 9th, 2024.

But as per usual with him, rumors will come up. And this is the second time this offseason with him and UCLA.

Just to clarify the tweet; I did NOT say that BM is going to UCLA in this tweet. Not as of 11:25am on February 9th, 2024.

But as per usual with him, rumors will come up. And this is the second time this offseason with him and UCLA.
I hadn't seen the news about Chip Kelly til this came up. I was going to say that I thought I remembered the BM to UCLA stuff was dependent on Kelly leaving/getting fired, and then secondly on who they brought in as the new head coach.

Has UCLA indicated who they're considering at this point?

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Kelly is not crazy about the current direction of college football.

He lost an assistant coach to USC of all places.

That tells me UCLA wasn't willing to match salaries so Kelly knows he's likely on borrowed time and not going to see a ton of support.

I'm actually not all that surprised to be honest.

Wants to remain in football.

Doesn't want to deal with the BS...

That tells me UCLA wasn't willing to match salaries so Kelly knows he's likely on borrowed time and not going to see a ton of support.

I can see it making sense if he didn't want to be a HC any more. Happy being a high paid coordinator for a HC he likes (a former assistant he helped mentor).

A little weird if he wants to be a head coach still.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I can see it making sense if he didn't want to be a HC any more. Happy being a high paid coordinator for a HC he likes (a former assistant he helped mentor).

I'm starting to wonder if he does anymore..

Reactions: reagan21

I never got the impression that he liked recruiting. If you didn't like recruiting 10 years ago you're going to really hate it now.

Chip hates recruiting, especially now with the portal. At OSU, he doesnt have to beg people to stay. The brand is strong enough and he has a good enough reputation as a playcaller from his Oregon days and NFL experience. Top offensive recruits will want to play for him.

Chip hates recruiting, especially now with the portal. At OSU, he doesnt have to beg people to stay. The brand is strong enough and he has a good enough reputation as a playcaller from his Oregon days and NFL experience. Top offensive recruits will want to play for him.

Chip has been pretty vocal about his feelings with the portal. I think a lot of coaches feel similarly...

For selfish reasons, I'd like to see this lmao (not him leaving for Minny, but to see everyone's takes on why he should or shouldn't go).

Wouldn't go because he saw what Fleck did there and knows there's not a lot more you (he) could squeeze out of that program.

For selfish reasons, I'd like to see this lmao (not him leaving for Minny, but to see everyone's takes on why he should or shouldn't go).
I'd hate it....

But also then the follow on threads about "handing the job to Marion" that would follow as if we havent learned our lessons on hiring coordinators as HCs...

Crazy, leaving a HC gig to become a coordinator in the same conference. Times are changin'!
He was on the hot seat last year so he probably thought this could be the end going to a new conference and all so took a job he probably thought wouldn’t be available a year from now.

He was on the hot seat last year so he probably thought this could be the end going to a new conference and all so took a job he probably thought wouldn’t be available a year from now.
That's the thing... he gets canned from UCLA, he's going to have a hard time getting another decent job... he has a strong year at Ohio St. And he's getting the next big P5 job that opens...

Reactions: Boston Rebel 2

Similar to Rocky Long when he stepped down. Focus on football than everything extra. Seems like a good retirement gig. They can do what they love with less politics and managing boosters.

Maybe he thinks Day not lasting much longer there and is trying to be the next HC 🤷‍♂️

Similar to Rocky Long when he stepped down. Focus on football than everything extra. Seems like a good retirement gig. They can do what they love with less politics and managing boosters.

Yeah the portal has really soured some guys.

One argument you see defending portal is that coaches can leave at anytime. Which I get. But schools are compensated through buyouts.

Player leaves school gets nothing.

Not exactly apples to apples.

Chip hates recruiting players but he hates fund raising for NIL dollars even more. His recruiting classes and lack of NIL money at UCLA reflect this.

Recruiting players. Then re recruiting same players he already recruited to stay.

I think we'll see coaches get more vocal about this over the next year.

Current model doesn't feel sustainable..

Reactions: TimothyC3
Recruiting players. Then re recruiting same players he already recruited to stay.

I think we'll see coaches get more vocal about this over the next year.

Current model doesn't feel sustainable..
Agree... they put either contract type limits on NILs similar to free agency in pro sports or limit the rate at which you transfer. Oh you want to transfer, fine, but you're going to need to pay a fee to get out of your contract or the school you're going to has to pay a buyout... the whole "coaches leave in college all the time" argument just created a slippery slope of this nonsense... and in pro sports, coaches come and go or you're team sucks, but you still have to stay for your contract terms or demand a trade at a cost to both programs...

Chip hates recruiting players but he hates fund raising for NIL dollars even more. His recruiting classes and lack of NIL money at UCLA reflect this.
Say what you want but without NIL money UCLA had by far the best defense in the PAC 12.
I’d love for UNLV to have that kind of defense year in and year out in the MWC!

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I read that Fisch also was listed as a candidate or had been contacted... I don't know why you'd leave UW for worse situation in LA...
Also if you're BM why would you take a mediocre G5 job at this point--- past signing day and primary recruiting period, missed transfer portal windows till Spring, etc.. stay another year in Vegas and you'd have several nicer gigs likely available to you with a full calendar to build from..

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Agree... they put either contract type limits on NILs similar to free agency in pro sports or limit the rate at which you transfer. Oh you want to transfer, fine, but you're going to need to pay a fee to get out of your contract or the school you're going to has to pay a buyout... the whole "coaches leave in college all the time" argument just created a slippery slope of this nonsense... and in pro sports, coaches come and go or you're team sucks, but you still have to stay for your contract terms or demand a trade at a cost to both programs...

100%

Sign 1-2-3 year contracts.

Fair for both sides. You want to sign 1 year NIL deals cool. Sign a 2-3 year NIL deal, sweet. At least a coach knows how he will have to approach the portal every year.

Not to be funny but imagine every UNLV QB went into portal and Rebs struck out in the portal. You could conceivably go into spring with just 1 or 2 QBs on your roster...

Reactions: RebelinWA
100%

Sign 1-2-3 year contracts.

Fair for both sides. You want to sign 1 year NIL deals cool. Sign a 2-3 year NIL deal, sweet. At least a coach knows how he will have to approach the portal every year.

Not to be funny but imagine every UNLV QB went into portal and Rebs struck out in the portal. You could conceivably go into spring with just 1 or 2 QBs on your roster...
There's nothing to stop this now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT