ADVERTISEMENT

NIT discussion

Rosegreen1

All American
Dec 2, 2023
I think we’re going to the NIT and playing probably at Oregon or Utah.

Slight chance we host a garbage UCLA team which would be a lose-lose situation, imo.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Awesome - I'd love to see us play a Pac 12 team

An NCAA team would have figured out how to win those close games we lost (USU, UNR, CSU, SDSU)

This is what we deserve - we are a solid top 100 program that deserves to play in the NIT

A couple wins in the NIT can build for the future -

Awesome - I'd love to see us play a Pac 12 team

An NCAA team would have figured out how to win those close games we lost (USU, UNR, CSU, SDSU)

This is what we deserve - we are a solid top 100 program that deserves to play in the NIT

A couple wins in the NIT can build for the future -
Agreed, you take the NIT bid but nothing else. However I can see the seniors in this group wanting to “get theirs” and just end up jacking up a bunch of shots. That’s the issue with these tournaments outside of the NCAA, esp with a majority of our starting 5 are seniors

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Kruger is still coaching for his job, in reality, and a couple NIT wins could save it. We'll see what happens. Id be shocked to see us get an NIT invite, but hope you're right.

Reactions: rebelzzz
This assumes we get an NIT invite. Im still not sold on that we will. There's only 20 spots available for at large and we arent the name we used to be.

This assumes we get an NIT invite. Im still not sold on that we will. There's only 20 spots available for at large and we arent the name we used to be.
Actually, it's 16 for at-large. First 12 go to the P5 + Big East. Each of those conferences get 2 in and get to host. The next four are from the NCAA First Four Out group. They also get an automatic and will host. I think with our NET of 77 today it will be a close call one way or the other.

Actually, it's 16 for at-large. First 12 go to the P5 + Big East. Each of those conferences get 2 in and get to host. The next four are from the NCAA First Four Out group. They also get an automatic and will host. I think with our NET of 77 today it will be a close call one way or the other.
There should be some overlap between first four out and the top 2 not selected of P5BE. Maybe not all 4 but at least one or two.

There should be some overlap between first four out and the top 2 not selected of P5BE. Maybe not all 4 but at least one or two.
The way they devised the selection there could be 3 or more from one conference between the top 2 P5BE and 1st four out. It's all rigged in favor of the power conferences.

The way they devised the selection there could be 3 or more from one conference between the top 2 P5BE and 1st four out. It's all rigged in favor of the power conferences.
It is rigged in favored towards power conferences and they openly admit it. But their reasoning is sound. Last year the final was between North Texas and UAB. Nobody cared!!!! I was at the game and it was less than half full.( Orleans - holds 9500) The TV ratings were beyond dismal. There was discussion of abandoning the NIT altogether because they were in danger of failing to get any Television.

This system is a way to continue the NIT and hope there are two finalists that are somewhat interesting to the public in general. They had to come up with it to convince a network to cover it.

If it isn't successful in getting viewers this could be the last NIT.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
It is rigged in favored towards power conferences and they openly admit it. But their reasoning is sound. Last year the final was between North Texas and UAB. Nobody cared!!!! I was at the game and it was less than half full.( Orleans - holds 9500) The TV ratings were beyond dismal. There was discussion of abandoning the NIT altogether because they were in danger of failing to get any Television.

This system is a way to continue the NIT and hope there are two finalists that are somewhat interesting to the public in general. They had to come up with it to convince a network to cover it.

One will argue that it's great experience and extra practice for their team. I think it's a waste of money. The NIT only covers basic expenses and there is not real money to be earned. I haven't watched a NIT for many years. They should shut it down. If you're G5 why in the world would I care to watch those P5 pricks who after this year won't be anywhere near our time zone.

That being said I do understand your point. It's just that I don't care about NIT in this format. I've always been a West Coast guy and I don't care about those biased Eastern conferences.

Kruger is still coaching for his job, in reality, and a couple NIT wins could save it. We'll see what happens. Id be shocked to see us get an NIT invite, but hope you're right.
Conversely a first round loss and a three game skid won’t help him.

I think he’s safe though. I’ve heard nothing concrete.

We will see transfers out but that’s only Kevin’s fault if you subscribe to the - Keyshawn Hall should have played more because he had talent; even though he was disruptive to team chemistry and set a very poor example in practice … which I don’t subscribe to. You can have some flexibility but you CANNOT allow the inmates to run the asylum.

So yeah, we will lose guys, a few. But not Dedan and not anybody significant (in my eyes). And exactly 0.0% of it will be KK’s direct fault, even though that’s how it will play out.

I don’t like the NIT, but I’ve always felt it’s up to the players. If they want to go at it, great. If not, no hard feelings. I’d let the seniors decide it.

Anything less than the NIT is pitiful. It’s bragging about getting laid by a Boulder Highway methed out hooker. And then doubly bragging because you talked her down to $15 instead of her regular rate of $20.

It really is gross desperation for fake relevancy. It’s like scheduling Bethesda when you don’t have to.

NIT is such a weird tourney because half the teams are completely checked out usually the P5 schools and then the mid majors are playing like beating a P5 would make their season.

NIT basically prays that a couple traditional powerhouse/P5 programs have a down year (injuries etc) and miss the big dance.

They know at least teams like an Ohio State or Michigan State types will draw some attendance and eyeballs on tvs.

NIT is such a weird tourney because half the teams are completely checked out usually the P5 schools and then the mid majors are playing like beating a P5 would make their season.
I guess there’s some balance then.

More than half, I’d say, are checked out.

So you have a lighthearted pickup game that nobody, from fans to players, care about.

I can see a team that was 9-23 from a crap conference going 18-11 this year being excited. Other than that? Bleh.

I remember an NIT game awhile back, UNLV was a double digit favorite, lost by double digits and it wasn’t because UNLV just played poorly. They just didn’t care. All you had to do was attend a practice before the NIT mand it was easy to see the “season is over” badge on their sleeves.

I remember an NIT game awhile back, UNLV was a double digit favorite, lost by double digits and it wasn’t because UNLV just played poorly. They just didn’t care. All you had to do was attend a practice before the NIT mand it was easy to see the “season is over” badge on their sleeves.
This!
Do you think this will be a potential problem this year?

The NIT is a huge let down, no way around it.
But if the seniors vote to do it, fine, but only if they are bought in. Otherwise it will be “boat race” city in the game and that would be a waste!

Conversely a first round loss and a three game skid won’t help him.

I think he’s safe though. I’ve heard nothing concrete.

We will see transfers out but that’s only Kevin’s fault if you subscribe to the - Keyshawn Hall should have played more because he had talent; even though he was disruptive to team chemistry and set a very poor example in practice … which I don’t subscribe to. You can have some flexibility but you CANNOT allow the inmates to run the asylum.

So yeah, we will lose guys, a few. But not Dedan and not anybody significant (in my eyes). And exactly 0.0% of it will be KK’s direct fault, even though that’s how it will play out.
Joe, I was high on Hall's potential. But In addition to the points you mention, let's not over look Hall came to UNLV out of shape and needed to cut 30-40 lbs. That was on him.

Pre-transfer portal, the NIT was more meaningful because some of these mid-major teams with cores of guys that had been together for a few seasons where able to make deeps runs and use it as a springboard into the next season. Now, Im guessing players opt out like bowl games so they can run to their next NIL pay day without getting hurt.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Also it’s played during the same time as the NCAA tournament, there is no other time to play it I get that , but no one cares. Sure they play on off days but by the time the tourney rolls around I’m not tuning in to watch UNLV vs Colorado and sure as hell not attending that game.

This was a season of ups and downs, and it ended on a down note! The last play of the first half was a jaw dropper against SDSU. I do not know if it was a bad coaching decision or a bad player decision, but it does seem that these types of plays happen a lot to UNLV! What comes next, who knows?

Whaley hasn’t been right since he rolled his ankle a couple of weeks ago; and DJ was in a walking boot recently. They are the most important players we have returning, along with Hill. It’s time to shut them down. No percentage in going to the NIT.

Joe, I was high on Hall's potential. But In addition to the points you mention, let's not over look Hall came to UNLV out of shape and needed to cut 30-40 lbs. That was on him.
I just know people that want KK fired will use it against KK. This was on Hall. Entitled big baby that wanted everything his way, he didn’t get it so he poisoned the well. Gtfoh and don’t let the door hit ya … I know, I know - KK should have vetted better … but some things you think you can deal with, change, sometimes it doesn’t happen. Not going to pin it on him as some will.

Yeah he had potential. A few games he was a dominant mismatch. But once that happened, he wanted 36 plus minutes with a big fat “I told you so”. Once a player coach relationship becomes adversarial, you probably can’t fix it. Dump the dead weight.

If I had to guess, it was NIT Round 1 at the T&M versus Hawaii. It was embarrassing. I believe it was on the heels of losing to CSU in the tourney finals, letting that game slip, and the players clearly didn’t care much. It’s was Dalron and Banks last game

Keyshawn Stat line vs st Joe's. logged 4 minutes 0 points booted from Atlantic 10 tourney..kevin cleared on that one..

You are way off on this one. He had ankle injury. Nice story on him from earlier this week. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/03/12/keyshawn-hall-george-mason-basketball/
Here is another, not so favorable for him. Guess we’ll see what happens during the off-season:

Here is another, not so favorable for him. Guess we’ll see what happens during the off-season:

Yeah, unfortunate, it’ll lead to a ton of speculation.

But usually where there is smoke, there’s fire … and I’d say given what I know about his history here … this is a player entitlement issue that’s causing team disruption. Again.

And because he has talent; he will be grabbed up by somebody. And there will continue to be issues with whatever school he ends up with. That’s my opinion. Based on his history. And I’m not going to blame Mason’s head coach or Kruger … sometimes kids are wired poorly and they won’t “get it” for 10 more years …

Good find. Did not know this.

Reactions: RebelScrub
Makes a coach want to load up on senior transfers so he at least knows what he's facing.

I think double transfers should only be allowed if a coach leaves. Coach leaves feel free to transfer no strike, you picked a bad program for you and want to transfer, that’s a strike. You get one strike and that’s it. But you could transfer 3 times if the coach keeps leaving. I think there has to be some limit with the NIL otherwise it is just free agency every year for every player and that is not sustainable for college athletics.

Reactions: butta1231
Every NIT prediction I have seen has UNLV playing Utah in the first round.
If they do I will be at the game but I don't give UNLV much chance for the win in that game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT