ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Chip Kelly will be fired soon. Can we benefit from it?

lobbybuu

Retired Number
Dec 29, 2022
I'm hoping that we can poach some of their recruits. I know that we have been in contact with 2 of them.

Also, I wonder if the new HC will honor Karson's scholarship. There were no discussions of him being a track only athlete at UCLA so I'm not sure that thats on the table/if a scholarship is available for just that. But I think it'll work out in the end.

Last edited:
I'm hoping that we can poach some of their recruits. I know that we have been in contact with 2 of them.

Also, I wonder if the new HC will honor Karson's scholarship. There were no discussions of him being a track only athlete at UCLA so I'm not sure that thats on the table/if a scholarship is available for just that.
If they fire him, how quick of a turnaround would you expect for them to name a new HC? Seems like it would put a lot of the recruits/commits up in the air.

Reactions: 220reb
If they fire him, how quick of a turnaround would you expect for them to name a new HC? Seems like it would put a lot of the recruits/commits up in the air.
It would have to be fast. I'm hearing that the team wants current DC D’Anton Lynn to be named the HC. The issue with that is he will be back in the NFL soon so I cant see them promoting him. But thats who the current players and commits want.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
It would have to be fast. I'm hearing that the team wants current DC D’Anton Lynn to be named the HC. The issue with that is he will be back in the NFL soon so I cant see them promoting him. But thats who the current players and commits want.
If Lynn got it, it sounds like Karson would still be on board. If they go another direction, who knows?

Also, I wonder if the new HC will honor Karson's scholarship. There were no discussions of him being a track only athlete at UCLA so I'm not sure that thats on the table/if a scholarship is available for just that. But I think it'll work out in the end.
Wazzu's top 2024 recruit decommitted. Trae Davis. Lets get on these guys.

My friend, who’s family is amongst the UCLA boosters, say the next HC will probably be Grubb. They’re pushing hard for Brian Hartline but he doesn’t want to leave a BIG10 powerhouse to play an incoming BIG10 team

Not sure if either of those guys would look at Marion as both are offensive guys and already have established philosophies of offense.

My friend, who’s family is amongst the UCLA boosters, say the next HC will probably be Grubb. They’re pushing hard for Brian Hartline but he doesn’t want to leave a BIG10 powerhouse to play an incoming BIG10 team

Not sure if either of those guys would look at Marion as both are offensive guys and already have established philosophies of offense.
This is 100% correct. If they go outside of the family, it'll be Grubb (this is where they are leaning). If they stay internal, it'll be Lynn but that will likely not happen because of the reason I mentioned above. No Lynn = no UNLV coordinator leaving for UCLA.

This is 100% correct. If they go outside of the family, it'll be Grubb (this is where they are leaning). If they stay internal, it'll be Lynn but that will likely not happen because of the reason I mentioned above. No Lynn = no UNLV coordinator leaving for UCLA.
But could mean UCLA talent going the other way right, lol.... and no, Im not talking about Karson

For real, I wonder if he still wanted the OC job here if Marion were to leave.
I’m gonna play devils advocate here and say that the coordinator lobby was referring to is Scherer. If UCLA goes with Lynn, who is their DC now, then they will obviously need a new DC. JMO though.

I’m gonna play devils advocate here and say that the coordinator lobby was referring to is Scherer. If UCLA goes with Lynn, who is their DC now, then they will obviously need a new DC. JMO though.
Scherer is a pretty young coach though. Only 1 season as a DC at UNLV. Before that he was interim DC, and the Linebackers coach. That would be a big gamble for a school like UCLA to go for Scherer this early on. UNLV's defense has definitely improved, but they're not at the level that I'd expect him to get poached.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meister_Rebel
It’s not Scherer, like @LVRebel2000 said he’s way too much of a gamble. If we are to lose a coordinator, I’d much rather it be him.

Marion is far more talented imo and Odom is a defensive coach so he shouldn’t have a problem replacing that position.

Scherer is young but he is knowledgeable and excited. His attitude is absolutely contagious. This is why I said "I am not too worry about our defense" at the beginning of the year. His attitude and knowledge will translates. And it has so far.
New era of football it seems they are targeting hot shots new coach vs conventional slow growth or maturation type of thing.

Scherer has done a very good job, but I doubt he get poached after one year as a full time DC under a defensive minded coach. But I would guess he may be tough to keep down the road. Especially if we continue to turn the ball over and get after the QB, though sacks have been harder to come by recently.

According to Twitter, Chip Kelly will not be fired, and will remain the HC at UCLA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT