ADVERTISEMENT

AZ,ASU and UTAH are a package deal for the Big 12.

Can we throw our hat into the Big 12 ring for half a share for 2 years?
I like your thinking. UNLV and SDSU along with Colorado and Arizona to Big12 at 1/2 the revenue. The MWC wins as they get ASU and Utah along with WSU and OSU. Sounds like a winner idea to me.

Can we throw our hat into the Big 12 ring for half a share for 2 years?
Yes. It's entirely a possibility because we have an uncaptured market in terms of media rights... UA gives the Big 12 Arizona, BYU gives them Utah, UNLV gives them LV...
Big 12 doesn't want ASU really and The Arizona BOR is the only thing pushing ASU into talks

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I like your thinking. UNLV and SDSU along with Colorado and Arizona to Big12 at 1/2 the revenue. The MWC wins as they get ASU and Utah along with WSU and OSU. Sounds like a winner idea to me.
Why would they want us, even at a discount? They are already on the west coast in a better market. SDSU makes much more sense with their priority on basketball, also their football is better too.
Why go for a gamble at a discount when you can go for a much more proven commodity, that will automatically help the greater good right off the bat.

Translation:

Oh No Omg GIF by Laff

So assuming that Oregon and UW get their deal done with the Big 10, and ASU and Utah do as well (with AZ and CO), then that leaves the PAC12 with only 4 teams.

Stanford (My guess is they'll go independent)
Cal
Oregon State
Washington State

If those are the only 3 remaining, then the MW should try to grab them for 2024. Otherwise, if those 4 schools want to try to keep the PAC 12 together, they'll need to add a minimum of 4 schools, and likely need to add 6+ to get some amount of stability.

So assuming that Oregon and UW get their deal done with the Big 10, and ASU and Utah do as well (with AZ and CO), then that leaves the PAC12 with only 4 teams.

Cal
Oregon State
Washington State

If those are the only 3 remaining, then the MW should try to grab them for 2024. Otherwise, if those 4 schools want to try to keep the PAC 12 together, they'll need to add a minimum of 4 schools, and likely need to add 6+ to get some amount of stability.
They gain nothing by adding at this point. There's no media deal in place to pay exit fees for teams that would join. If Big 12 takes Utah and ASU, then the other 4 will join whoever they can, not add. They'll become shiny objects for failed conference commissioners to pound their chests about while watching the Big 4 form their own new athletic association...

Cal
Oregon State
Washington State

The Pac 12 won't be able to keep together with just those four schools. MWC Schools won't pay $34 million dollars in exit fees to join their conference when there is NO media contract. Even if they get enough schools to stay alive is the new Pac worth anymore money in a new media deal than what the MWC currently receives. I can't see any way they can stay alive. It's over.

I disagree. What they have is the PAC name. Those four schools and the PAC commish would have the power to add what they want from the MW plus SMU and Tulane and get a better money deal than joining the MW.
If they take enough MW schools then they will pass the buck to the MW for survival which would have more of an issue of making that work. Possibly forcing them to merge with the WAC.

Their deal would be better with keeping at least one of the bay area schools that matter, eliminating SJSU, and other dead weight programs like perhaps Wyoming, etc. The could create a much better overall collection of schools vs joining an existing conference that has schools that lower its overall value. It is arguable that any of the remaining teams still has more value than nearly any of the MW teams due to the fact they are vetted P5 programs with existing fanbases. Especially Stanford, though they are the perhaps the only school that could survive as an independent.

I disagree. What they have is the PAC name. Those four schools and the PAC commish would have the power to add what they want from the MW plus SMU and Tulane and get a better money deal than joining the MW.
If they take enough MW schools then they will pass the buck to the MW for survival which would have more of an issue of making that work. Possibly forcing them to merge with the WAC.

Their deal would be better with keeping at least one of the bay area schools that matter, eliminating SJSU, and other dead weight programs like perhaps Wyoming, etc. The could create a much better overall collection of schools vs joining an existing conference that has schools that lower its overall value. It is arguable that any of the remaining teams still has more value than nearly any of the MW teams due to the fact they are vetted P5 programs with existing fanbases. Especially Stanford, though they are the perhaps the only school that could survive as an independent.
I don't see how we can avoid the $34 million dollar exit fee to get into the pac# as of 8/1/2024 when they need to have 7 conference members. The Pac is done.

I don't see how we can avoid the $34 million dollar exit fee to get into the pac# as of 8/1/2024 when they need to have 7 conference members. The Pac is done.
Again they enough MW schools to essentially kill the MW or at least put the MW where the PAC is now. No more exit fees. Also if they take half the MW or more, the presidents would vote to waive exit fees.

I like the idea of Hawaii as football only and Gonzaga for B-Ball.
If the MWC can land Cal, WSU, and OSU I say we cut Hawaii. We would have a solid 14 teams and they wouldn't be needed. Now if Stanford would come to the MWC, haha, then we keep Hawaii for 16 teams.

I just don't think Gonzaga would ever leave for the MWC. I don't even think about them anymore.

If the PAC and MW join forces, they'd be crazy not to keep the PAC moniker.

Last edited:
If the PAC pulls 6 teams from the MWC then there will be no exit fee's for the MWC teams leaving. When this is all said and done either the PAC or the MWC will no longer her exist.

Even with the four teams left I would prefer grabbing UNLV, SDSU, CSU, Fresno, AF, Utah St, SMU, Tulane, North Texas and Memphis all to the PAC instead of staying in the MWC and adding Oregon St and Washington St.

Not necessarily a fan of Utah St coming but they would need to take 6 teams and I know BSU would be more likely but I hate them so screw them

If you could talk Gonzaga and St Mary's into coming grab them and call it a day

Again they enough MW schools to essentially kill the MW or at least put the MW where the PAC is now. No more exit fees. Also if they take half the MW or more, the presidents would vote to waive exit fees.
What number of schools would the Mountain West have to get down to so there would be no exit fees? If it's 6 or 5 teams the Pac needs to add those 6 or 7 MW teams along with a couple more to get to 12.

What number of schools would the Mountain West have to get down to so there would be no exit fees? If it's 6 or 5 teams the Pac needs to add those 6 or 7 MW teams along with a couple more to get to 12.
I read it takes 3/4 vote

The four remaining PAC could easily pull six MWC and leave us out. SDSU, CSU, Fresno, Boise, AF, Utah St. Add SMU, Tulane, North Texas and Memphis for a 14 team conference and we, along with the rest of the MWC, go to the WAC.

Needs to be basically no share, just cover operating cost at this point. Oregon and UDub took a smaller cut for BIG10, UNLV has a fraction of leverage those schools have.
Agreed!

UNLV needs to be proactive and offer this to the Big 12 first!

A hybrid PAC-12/MWC isn’t the worst thing in the world. It’s a better position than we are in, but still outside looking in. I welcome some new flavor, the MWC is bland as hell.

I think the Zags are set up nicely as is. They’re fine without football and they can dump every resource into hoops and continue to excel on that front. Why give that up? Prestige? They have it already. Will it make them more prime time for the tourney? They already advance far.

That said, I think we’d be best keeping the P12 name instead of the MWC or a new named conference. It’s in name only, but at least it’s recognizable.

If they fully merge, I don’t think it hinders or aids UNLV and any path for success that they’re aiming for.

I think the problem is the new P4 conferences are going to form their own governing body and suck all the money out of the room... why sign a TV deal with MWC that's any better than it currently is when they won't be competing for the same titles.. they'll quickly come up with another system that puts the other conferences on the outside looking in, and they'll have the power to do so.
Where's our AD at by the way? He hasn't said a word knowing this was coming. Not even a public comment on commitment to making conference a premier western option, etc... just silence

A hybrid PAC-12/MWC isn’t the worst thing in the world. It’s a better position than we are in, but still outside looking in. I welcome some new flavor, the MWC is bland as hell.

I think the Zags are set up nicely as is. They’re fine without football and they can dump every resource into hoops and continue to excel on that front. Why give that up? Prestige? They have it already. Will it make them more prime time for the tourney? They already advance far.

That said, I think we’d be best keeping the P12 name instead of the MWC or a new named conference. It’s in name only, but at least it’s recognizable.

If they fully merge, I don’t think it hinders or aids UNLV and any path for success that they’re aiming for.
Who would be the commissioner?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT