ADVERTISEMENT

Who's the next 4 years and out?

Corp03

All American
Mar 23, 2003
Step right up and coach the Rebels until U-haul brings a truck for you 4 years later.

When I think of Vegas, we have world-class everything. Then you look at that dump Sam Boyd stadium and how are you supposed to recruit? The parking lot isn't even paved! And what do the facilities look like? From a recruit I talked to about 5 years ago, they were embarrassing. And fan/alumni support? Next.

Too many entertainment options in this city. The reason teams like Nebraska, Auburn, etc are supported.... there is nothing there but the college. They are the only option for entertainment. Not much else in those rural schools.

The problem is, unless the school has a president and AD that supports the program with alumni support, we'll still see the same 4 and Done. And when I mean support the program, I mean more than lip service. UNLV doesn't have that.

I know people complain about Hauck and his strategies. Ever think of the level of players that this program has? Maybe they aren't good enough to be mistake free? Maybe they are disciplined? A lot of them are leftovers who are probably FCS level. That's why they are at this school and not another one. Just not good in the first place.

Think of the talent that has left the state and played elsewhere. You have to close the borders in recruiting if you want to succeed.

Seriously, I want you to think about it. Why would any athlete with talent choose UNLV over someone else? What is our selling point? If you can't come up with anything meaningful, we'll still have the same results no matter what Beavis-looking coach we hire.

I'll post this again 4 years from now.

And, if and when UNLV does catch lightning in a bottle and finds a good coach, he'll be lured away from UNLV by mega bucks offered by a P-5 school. Without the complete package of program builders; fan support, donor money, new stadium, better facilities; this all becomes an exercise in futility and unsustainable. Heavy odds are sub-par football with spurts of minor success will rule in this city of many entertainment options.

BS

In the last couple of year UNLV took a soccer program that was going to be closed up and turned it into a fringe top 25 program. They took a baseball program that was at best a mid level program and also turned it into a fringe top 25 program. The amount of money that was put into these two programs, along with the new training center that Fertitta will be building (my understanding) for Chambers and the baseball program, would be more than enough to pay for a indoor training facility and an upgrade in coaching for football.

A lot of those on this site keep jumping on TKM and saying she doesn't know what she is doing, doesn't have the connections, etc., but it appears that she has been making the right moves and does understand the problems. The first thing that has been mentioned by TKM in the last day is that we need the new football training facility and it will become a priority. I expect that in the next 3-6 months we will see the funding for this new facility, and will see improvements.

The big 5 are not done building up since it is most likely they will all move to 16 teams when everything falls out. UNLV along with SDSU and a few other programs are very desirable, if they have decent football program. UNLV would become a prime target for the big conference if they put in what it takes to move football forward, and I do believe TKM knows this and will make the effort to do just that.

You would think BG's Sanchez would have a pipeline of kids committing if he took the job.....

If I was paying $10,600 a year for my kid to play football and get recruited to a big time college with tons of money and tv time so he can eventually play in the NFL, the Mt West would not be on my short list. If Sanchez is being put in place because of big booster money, where were those same boosters 2-3 years ago? Is this about UNLV or moving Sanchez's career forward?

While I am one of those that gave Hauck may chances and believed he could turn things around, he is not a good people person, and turned off a lot of the people that have the ability to fund the program.

UNLV soccer was within days of being cancelled as a sport when they hired the right head coach who was willing to do whatever it took to get donations to save the program. The soccer program is now on solid footing with a bright future.

UNLV baseball has been a .500 ball club for decades until UNLV went out and hired Chambers. Chambers had the connections and now has UNLV baseball knocking on the door of being a top 25 program.

The biggest difficulty is to find a coach that can both become the biggest booster for UNLV football, as well as do a good coaching job.

Hey, Genius. Baseball and soccer are NOTHING compared to FBS football. Horrible analogy. Anyone can turn around non-football / basketball programs. How much money do you think those programs bring in? And who do they compete with where there are powerful boosters? Ever meet a soccer booster? Or alumni pressing for a coach to be fired because the baseball team's coach isn't beating their rival. No comparison.

Apple and oranges.. Get out of here. This isn't 1980.

Hey, Genius. Baseball and soccer are NOTHING compared to FBS football. Horrible analogy. Anyone can turn around non-football / basketball programs. How much money do you think those programs bring in? And who do they compete with where there are powerful boosters? Ever meet a soccer booster? Or alumni pressing for a coach to be fired because the baseball team's coach isn't beating their rival. No comparison.

Apple and oranges.. Get out of here. This isn't 1980.

An opinion is one thang. but dude, that was a bit harsh. I can see you have made several post. Just can't remember any of them unlike other contributors here......

Actually, it appears your IQ may be suspect because of your inability to understand basic facts without looing for a way to go into attack mode. Are you still in grade school? Just an honest question.

The analogy is really simple. I will put it into words you can understand!

The soccer program was able to find several million in funds over the last 3-5 years to put the program on solid footing.

The baseball program was able to find millions in fund over the last 3-5 years, find funding to raise the coaches pay, and will be receiving a new building for the baseball program for training, studying, etc that is going to be funded in full by a donation due to Chambers staying as coach at UNLV.

The two above programs has very little if any funding and went from being programs that were going no where, in the case of soccer a program that was going to be cut, to programs at the fringe of being top 25. In regards to football, they are funding millions more, and are only looking at being able to be competitive in the short run and not looking at becoming a top 25 program. A couple of million a year in additional funding can do a lot when many of the basics are already funded.

The amount of funds required for these two programs including the new training facility is most likely in excess of $10 million. That type of funding spread over 3-5 years would allow the football program 2-3 million a year that could be used to improve facilities, hire 1-2 additional academic advisors for the players (currently they have 1.5), improve the meals provided to the players, and additional funds for a better coaching staff. An additional 2-3 million a year would put UNLV on par with the better programs in the MWC instead of near the bottom. These changes would go a long ways towards being more competitive in regards to recruiting and on the field. This type of additional funding would put us way ahead of the team to the north.

While the additional funding would not build a new stadium or be able to fully fund a new indoor practice facility, it would bring an improved product on the field which would increase ticket sales and overall funding of the program in additional ways beyond just those of the donations. An improved program, more wins, more ticket sales will bring more donations and in the short run should help in regards to funding of an indoor practice facility. In the case of BG and their coach, the Fertitta's may be able to provide an immediate infusion of cash in the same way the donors have for soccer and baseball.

This post was edited on 11/30 4:51 PM by Rebel1986

Unfortunately, it looks like UNLV's hand is forced. Another on the job learning experiment. to bad

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT