ADVERTISEMENT

UNM at UNLV Game 5

Feels like we will be reading an article like this eventually, with Long Beach State replaced by UNLV.

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-10-01/news/hl-195_1_empty-feeling
Has to be completely defeating to lose a major sport. In basketball, they were certainly something when Tark was there, after that, just some tiny blips really, like when Lucious Harris and Bryon Russell were in the backcourt. But they hit a serious skid of any sort of significance for over a decade. Coincentally, it happened while, you guessed it, Maxson was president.

Terrell Davis was on the last LBSU team, with no team he and teammates had to transfer he chose Georgia which worked out pretty well for him.

Another interesting note was that the coach at LBSU that last season was NFL Hall of Famer Willie Brown after NFL Hall of Fame coach George Allen died in the off season.

Pump the brakes everyone. That was a terrible effort by the Rebels but the football program won't be dropped. The new football facility is being built. The new stadium is being built (it is primarily for the Raiders but UNLV football utilizing the facility was part of the deal). Better recruits are coming in. The current team still has some potential but they need to get better in a lot of aspects of the game which is not a good sign. Just have to endure a little while longer

Pump the brakes everyone. That was a terrible effort by the Rebels but the football program won't be dropped. The new football facility is being built. The new stadium is being built (it is primarily for the Raiders but UNLV football utilizing the facility was part of the deal). Better recruits are coming in. The current team still has some potential but they need to get better in a lot of aspects of the game which is not a good sign. Just have to endure a little while longer
On top of that, this team hasn't shown a game like the one they played vs UNM this year, or during the Sanchez era. One game does not make a trend. I want to see the team come out focus and firing on Saturday, but gotta go in with tempered expectations. Utah State could be the best team in the conference. I want to see where we are after the Air Force game. If you've seen three weeks in a row of abysmal, no effort, no execution play.... then it's time to make that judgement. Until then, jury is out. Let's wait and see

Reactions: khokhol8
On top of that, this team hasn't shown a game like the one they played vs UNM this year, or during the Sanchez era. One game does not make a trend. I want to see the team come out focus and firing on Saturday, but gotta go in with tempered expectations. Utah State could be the best team in the conference. I want to see where we are after the Air Force game. If you've seen three weeks in a row of abysmal, no effort, no execution play.... then it's time to make that judgement. Until then, jury is out. Let's wait and see
Sanchez era?

I think there’s been a few, most memorably Howard just last season.

I don’t know that it’s a trend or whatever, but it’s alarming that it happens to this degree at all. It has to shake the confidence of even the most optimistic fan, I’d think.

We are in the dumpster. This may be Tony's last season we will get trashed at USt and dive from there. When a coach throws players under the bus in media it is very immature. Players will disconnect

Sanchez era?

I think there’s been a few, most memorably Howard just last season.

I don’t know that it’s a trend or whatever, but it’s alarming that it happens to this degree at all. It has to shake the confidence of even the most optimistic fan, I’d think.
I don't really look at the Howard game as a team that showed up uninterested. Not that they showed up and looked passionate about the game, but certainly not the same lack of interest and effort that just happened with New Mexico.

You're absolutely right about the last part though, very much alarming and shakes the confidence of fans. UNLV having this type of game is different than Boise state laying a dud against SDSU. For UNLV it's a "back to status quo" feeling and more of the same. If you build good will for your product here, it gets lost in one game, not in one season. Team has got to come out and at least compete and push USU, else AFA game will be a mess with attendance (probably anyway...)

I don't really look at the Howard game as a team that showed up uninterested. Not that they showed up and looked passionate about the game, but certainly not the same lack of interest and effort that just happened with New Mexico.

You're absolutely right about the last part though, very much alarming and shakes the confidence of fans. UNLV having this type of game is different than Boise state laying a dud against SDSU. For UNLV it's a "back to status quo" feeling and more of the same. If you build good will for your product here, it gets lost in one game, not in one season. Team has got to come out and at least compete and push USU, else AFA game will be a mess with attendance (probably anyway...)
But even if you don’t include Howard, there were some others... can’t recall off the top of my head. May have been Reno, CSU last year maybe? I just know that there were games where they appeared to be very flat and disinterested and it struck me as odd because Sanchez is the exact opposite personality.

But even if you don’t include Howard, there were some others... can’t recall off the top of my head. May have been Reno, CSU last year maybe? I just know that there were games where they appeared to be very flat and disinterested and it struck me as odd because Sanchez is the exact opposite personality.
Fair enough. Now that you mention it, SDSU game a couple years ago comes to mind. There have been others, but this certainly is the worst one. I'm incredibly interested in how the team looks on Saturday... and I'm happy it's an afternoon game rather than having to wait until the end of the day!

Fair enough. Now that you mention it, SDSU game a couple years ago comes to mind. There have been others, but this certainly is the worst one. I'm incredibly interested in how the team looks on Saturday... and I'm happy it's an afternoon game rather than having to wait until the end of the day!

2017 was Howard, BYU and Reno where they didn't show up. Three games
2016 was SDUS, Reno. Two games.... but how do we not show up two years in a row in our rivalry game and not identify the problem?
2015 was again SDSU in a 52-14 drubbing. One game....

Uh oh, one of Sanchez's talking points of steady improvement through one win a year is in serious jeopardy if the trend of the number-of-games-we-don't-show-up-in also increases every year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT