ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV Vs UCLA Predictions

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
Bruins coming off a tough loss on the road in a very hostile enviornment. Have to imagine UNLV will be facing a very focused Bruins squad.

Bruins are favored by 27 right now. That line seems about right.

I think we will have a better showing than last year but struggle to cover the spread. Rebs keep it close early but UCLA just to much right now.

42-17

On the downside, yes, UCLA will most certainly be motivated for their home opener. On the plus side, UNLV has plenty of film on how to beat this Bruin team and, conversely, didn't provide much to them. That said, UCLA still has the bigger-stronger-faster thing going for them, so we'll still get beaten by double digits but cover (at least I hope so cuz I just bet a guy in my office and got 28pts. He's an SC fan anyway and wouldn't mind more UCLA misfortune).

38-24

It's almost a given that we will get the ball first, based on Coach Sanchez always electing to receive, and other teams almost always deferring. I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that we take a 7-0 lead to start the game. UCLA will recover, settle in, and respond. UCLA will lead at the half, but it will be a one-score game.

In the second half we get worn out, but I think we cover. I see us losing by 17-21 points. 27 seems a bit much.

I'll go UNLV 24 - 41 UCLA

UNLV needs to weather the storm in the first half and just keep it within 2 scores. I can see UNLV settled in...It will be a little closer than 27 points, IMO..

I go back to last year. That game should have been 10-3 at halftime. It was actually 17-0 at half because we went for a fake FG instead of taking an easy 3 points, and then UCLA got 7 points just before halftime when KP threw a horrendous pick-6 as he was in the process of being sacked. IMO, this year's UNLV squad is better, and UCLA might not be as good as last year.

It'll be a one-score game at half, and we'll keep things interesting throughout. We will look like we belong on the same field as UCLA, even if we end up losing by 2 TD+.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Bruins coming off a tough loss on the road in a very hostile enviornment. Have to imagine UNLV will be facing a very focused Bruins squad.

I think we will have a better showing than last year but struggle to cover the spread. Rebs keep it close early but UCLA just to much right now.

42-17
37-10

I just want to come out healthy and for us to not get shut out. Actually, I just realized that Jackson state had a much heavier OL and DL than we did. Might explain why out pass rush was non existant. Actually, Jackson State has a heavier OL than even UCLA. Might be why our front four weren't making much head way. Mind you, this is comparing weight, not strength. I know that pounds aren't everything, and this does not factor intangibles or speed, but by raw weight, Jackson state wasn't a push over offensively. This does not take into account average starter weight, but backups can be called upon at anytime depending on the situation. Plus I m too lazy to track the starting lines from all three teams. I ll go back and do the D line weight later.

Jackson State OL (Average weight 305)
55 Kenneth Tyler OL 6-4 335 JR Vicksburg, MS
58 Alem Amores OL 6-2 290 JR Oakland, CA
60 Markus Cook OL 6-3 310 JR Prichard, AL
65 Vincent Hunter OL 6-4 325 SO Memphis, TN
69 Asam-Obi Asam OL 6-2 310 FR Baton Rouge, LA
70 Daunte Fisher OL 6-3 345 FR Houston, TX
71 Donell Paster OL 6-6 305 FR Augusta, GA
72 Treyvon Richardson OL 6-4 305 JR Covington, GA
74 Steven Gilbert OL 6-4 270 JR Miami, FL
75 Christian Marshall OL 6-5 290 JR Columbus, OH
76 Ronza Anderson OL 6-1 275 FR Jackson, MS
77 Frank Carter OL 6-3 330 SO Tampa, FL
78 Nikolas Davis OL 6-2 256 FR Fayetteville, GA
79 Zechariah Ray OL 6-7 325 JR Yazoo City, MS

UCLA OL (Average weight 303)
52 Scott Quessenberry OL 6-4 315 R-Jr. La Costa, Calif. / La Costa Canyon
56 Josh Wariboko-Alali OL 6-2 295 R-Fr. Edmond, Okla. / Casady
58 Gyo Shojima OL 6-2 290 R-Jr. Redondo Beach, Calif. / Nishi (Japan)
59 Zach Bateman OL 6-6 300 R-Jr. Santa Ana, Calif. / Estancia / Orange Coast Coll.
63 Jake Tourville OL 6-1 300 R-So. La Habra, Calif. / La Habra
65 Paco Perez OL 6-4 310 Fr. Baldwin Park, Calif. / Baldwin Park
68 Conor McDermott OL 6-8 310 R-Sr. Nashville, Tenn. / Ensworth
69 Najee Toran OL 6-2 285 Jr. Houston, Texas / North Shore
71 Poasi Moala OL 6-4 305 R-Jr. Moreno Valley, Calif. / Rancho Verde
72 Cristian Garcia OL 6-3 320 R-Sr. Whittier, Calif. / St. Paul
73 Tevita Halalilo OL 6-4 337 R-Fr. Moreno Valley, Calif. / Rancho Verde
74 Alex Akingbulu OL 6-6 270 Fr. Carson, Calif. / Narbonne
75 Andre James OL 6-4 300 R-Fr. Herriman, Utah / Herriman
75 Boss Tagaloa DL 6-2 310 Fr. Pittsburgh, Calif. / De La Salle
76 Kenny Lacy OL 6-4 305 R-Jr. Phoenix, Ariz. / Mountain Pointe
77 Kolton Miller OL 6-9 305 R-So. Roseville, Calif. / Roseville

UNLV OL (average weight 294)
51 Zack Singer OL 6-2 330 SO Las Vegas, NV
58 Will Kreitler OL 6-0 300 SR Gilbert, AZ
60 Andrew Erbes 6-2 310 OL JR (TR) Scottsdale, AZ (Idaho)
61 Angel Torres 5-11 270 OL FR (HS) Las Vegas, NV (Desert Pines HS)
63 J'Ondray Sanders OL 6-5 260 JR Henderson, NV
64 Nathan Jacobson OL 6-5 285 SO Snohomish, WA
65 Donovan Outlaw 6-4 285 OL FR (HS) Henderson, NV (Coronado HS)
73 Blake Coggins OL 6-5 290 FR Las Vegas, NV
74 Julio Garcia 6-3 305 OL FR (HS) Las Vegas, NV (Bishop Gorman HS)
75 Jaron Caldwell 6-4 315 OL FR (HS) Las Vegas, NV (Bishop Gorman HS)
76 Kyle Saxelid OL 6-7 290 JR Elk Grove, CA
77 Michael Chevalier OL 6-3 300 JR San Diego, CA
78 Justin Polu OL 6-4 325 FR Henderson, NV
79 Jacob Becker OL 6-5 280 JR Reno, NV
96 Nathaniel Oishi 5-10 275 OL SO (1L) Honolulu, HI (Iolani HS)

What amazes me is how many of the offensive line for UNLV are from Las Vegas/Henderson. It will also be fun to follow the line which is made up of mostly freshmen/sophomores to see how much they improve over the next couple of years.

Ucla 42 unlv 23

We'll hang in it for awhile, but they will pull away on turnover/special teams plays. Those always seem to go power team's way, since the depth they have will usually win out.

Rosen sustained a great deal of pressure by Aggies DLine. If UNLV can't get pressure without heavy blitz, Rosen will pick UNLV apart. 45-17

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I'm hoping that the Rebel D-line was playing to contain the JSU QB, daring him to beat us with his arm, and that's why there wasn't much pressure/stunting/blitzing. Whatever... it worked. This week, however, is a different story. Rosen isn't going to beat anyone with his legs, so pressure is paramount. Baer didn't give anything away last week, so, hopefully, he can dial it up this week.

I would love to see UNLV pull this upset off. They beat a similarly ranked ASU team a
I'm hoping that the Rebel D-line was playing to contain the JSU QB, daring him to beat us with his arm, and that's why there wasn't much pressure/stunting/blitzing. Whatever... it worked. This week, however, is a different story. Rosen isn't going to beat anyone with his legs, so pressure is paramount. Baer didn't give anything away last week, so, hopefully, he can dial it up this week.

Watched the game again last night. We did very little in terms of blitzing. The 2s played a significant number of snaps. We should get better as season goes along, but overall I think we are still going to struggle to apply pressure primarily with our front 4.

If Baer chooses to blitz, we have got to get pressure or it could be a long night vs UCLA.

We did get one sack which puts us on pace to eclipse the 9 1/2 we had last year. (Baby steps people).

42-17
Nebraska beat a UCLA team that was better last season in their bowl game by running the ball to the D gaps in downhill power. A&M was doing it too. Problem is that the Rebels don't have the TEs that the Huskers do but it is the blueprint to beating them. Going to be an incredible chess match between our offense and their defense.
The really big problem will come up in how much the OLs for UCLA will be allowed to hold our front 7 in the Rose Bowl. If the results are typical, they will get away with wrestling our DLs to the ground without any flags and Rosen will be allowed to pick us apart. We'll be lucky to cover the spread if that is allowed.

I'm sticking with my prediction (Loss: 24-41; 1 score game at half; fade down stretch despite being competitive throughout) but looking at the money line information from vegasinsider is kind of interesting.

UNLV opened as a +2650 underdog. Money lines are now at +1500. Still a big number and a big dog, but interesting that the line has had such a substantial move.

I find myself with a big smile on my face like I'm holding an Ace in the hole... everything I've read outside these threads... and some inside... has little to do with the young men going toe to toe as they are TODAY. The position breakdowns that I've seen are hilarious... they basically just go back to the high school stats to compare or at best last year!- understandably to some degree. And when I say compare- they often times just talk about UCLA, because they have no idea what UNLV has done or who they are NOW. Seriously, this is going to open some eyes. I'm not a talker by nature, but I had to vent. Time will tell as I've said before in posts... and it will. I know this much - the effort, focus, skill, conditioning, discipline, and coaching behind this Rebel squad is going to show... and if they play a complete game the way I think they can:
UNLV 35
UCLA 21
:grimace:

I find myself with a big smile on my face like I'm holding an Ace in the hole... everything I've read outside these threads... and some inside... has little to do with the young men going toe to toe as they are TODAY. The position breakdowns that I've seen are hilarious... they basically just go back to the high school stats to compare or at best last year!- understandably to some degree. And when I say compare- they often times just talk about UCLA, because they have no idea what UNLV has done or who they are NOW. Seriously, this is going to open some eyes. I'm not a talker by nature, but I had to vent. Time will tell as I've said before in posts... and it will. I know this much - the effort, focus, skill, conditioning, discipline, and coaching behind this Rebel squad is going to show... and if they play a complete game the way I think they can:
UNLV 35
UCLA 21
:grimace:
Wow. You get that call right and your beers are happily on me.

Maybe the team can fly John Robinson in for a pregame speech. Saturday might be a tall task, but it can't be any tougher than when UNLV was a 20-point underdog at no.14 Wisconsin in 2003.

After 60 minutes, 5 turnovers, and a magical performance by Jamal Brimmer, the Rebels left Camp Randall with a 23-5 win over the heavy favorite.

Reactions: RedCannon
Last week UNLV played a very vanilla game plan on defense. No blitzes, no stunts, nothing to show other teams. I expect us to unleash a lot of blitz packages that we have not used before. The question is will they be effective.

I do know this. We aren't going there to just show up. These guys think they can win. I don't think we are there yet but I do think this will be a good game.

UCLA 31 - UNLV 24

UNLV 35
UCLA 21
:grimace:[/QUOTE]
I'll be the first to eat crow- I thought they had a little more than that, but I did like the fight in our Rebels. Looking forward to the rest of the season!

It looks like the targeting call against UNLV was the turning point. If that call was never made they would not have scored and UNLV would have had another chance to tie the score. After the call it was like they inflated off their high and struggled for the rest of the 4th qtr.

This was a really good sign for UNLV that they played tough with a team that was head to head with Texas A&M.

UNLV will continue to improve quickly with all of the younger players and I can see them being very competitive the remainder of the season. Now they have a much tougher game verse CMU than I thought it would be.

Time to close the next game out with a win.

Nebraska beat a UCLA team that was better last season in their bowl game by running the ball to the D gaps in downhill power. A&M was doing it too. Problem is that the Rebels don't have the TEs that the Huskers do but it is the blueprint to beating them. Going to be an incredible chess match between our offense and their defense.
The really big problem will come up in how much the OLs for UCLA will be allowed to hold our front 7 in the Rose Bowl. If the results are typical, they will get away with wrestling our DLs to the ground without any flags and Rosen will be allowed to pick us apart. We'll be lucky to cover the spread if that is allowed.

Ahem.....plus the very poor targeting play and we have what I was talking about.
Still, very proud of these kids and the staff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT