ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV @ Fresno State Friday Night

It doesn’t matter who is behind center for us when the O-line is this poor, our QB won’t stay healthy! Brumfield was getting hammered consistently after he made his throws from the pocket. You can’t let your QB get hit that often, you just can’t!

Reactions: MonsterJam
Brumsfeld's a baller.

If UNLV could field a half-way decent OL to protect him, they'd do some damage.

Brumfield should move to basketball or volleyball. With Friel we have a chance against Hawaii.

Friel has some potential too. Just probably is quite ready to get as much action as he is getting.

He and Martell were about as equally as effective IMO. Martell is more elusive, but way less accurate. I am going to assume that is his thumb. But I wonder if he becomes the guy if he is healthier and Brumfield is still out.

Andy Word on Brumfield in terms of labelling his injury? It really was an awkward moment when he went out.

From what I have found it doesn't appear that Brumfield has an injury that will keep him out long or at all, but you never know until the next game starts. If Brumfield had played the entire game, I have little doubt UNLV would have won the game, and with him playing UNLV has a good chance at winning a handful of games, if he doesn't play, UNLV is in trouble. The coaching staff better find a way to protect Brumfield otherwise the season will already be over for the team. The one nice thing is that UNLV has already played the three best teams that will meet this year, and the defenses they will meet the rest of the season will in most parts be a downgrade from the teams they already played.

Still some hope left, and it is all on the shoulders of Brumfield and his ability to not get injured!

This O-line has a lot to do with the “his getting injured“ or not going forward!
Arroyo better get recruiting some O-line help and while he is at it, get a couple of the following.. WR’s, a TE and pass rushing D-line players!

Friel has some potential too. Just probably is quite ready to get as much action as he is getting.

He and Martell were about as equally as effective IMO. Martell is more elusive, but way less accurate. I am going to assume that is his thumb. But I wonder if he becomes the guy if he is healthier and Brumfield is still out.

Andy Word on Brumfield in terms of labelling his injury? It really was an awkward moment when he went out.
I haven’t heard, but looked to be a pretty serious case of leg cramping.

Yes our best chance to win is with Brumfield but the problem is he’s already gone out with injuries twice this year. He hasn’t been able to even play a full 4 quarter game yet so it’s hard to imagine him playing the next 8 games injury free with our offensive line. We’ll probably need another QB in at least a game or two.

I think Friel has done a decent job for the situation. He’s a true freshman that really shouldn’t even be on the field right now. This should be a redshirt season but injuries (Brumfield, Martell) and a poor evaluation by CMA (Rogers) has forced Friel into games. He will get better but QB is not an easy position for a true freshman out of HS. We’re not getting Arch Manning type talent here at UNLV. Hopefully Brum can stay healthy and Friel can develop more in practice and learn from the sideline.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I think Friel has done a decent job for the situation. He’s a true freshman that really shouldn’t even be on the field right now. This should be a redshirt season but injuries (Brumfield, Martell) and a poor evaluation by CMA (Rogers) has forced Friel into games. He will get better but QB is not an easy position for a true freshman out of HS. We’re not getting Arch Manning type talent here at UNLV. Hopefully Brum can stay healthy and Friel can develop more in practice and learn from the sideline.

I think the hope with Rogers was he was fully or close to fully recovered from his HS injury.

He looks like he is fighting himself, not trusting what he sees. He doesn't seem as explosive of an athlete as he looked coming out of HS.

He was ranked about the same as Martell.

Maybe in camp he was performing on equal terms with other QBs and Arroyo went with the more experienced guy to start. With practices closed can't say for sure..

Reactions: dcut03
I think the hope with Rogers was he was fully or close to fully recovered from his HS injury.

He looks like he is fighting himself, not trusting what he sees. He doesn't seem as explosive of an athlete as he looked coming out of HS.

He was ranked about the same as Martell.

Maybe in camp he was performing on equal terms with other QBs and Arroyo went with the more experienced guy to start. With practices closed can't say for sure..
Roger's was rated one of the top dual threat qbs out of HS. He is the least mobile of the group right now, when he should be the most.

He pretty far removed from the injury at this point, so it is hard to say if his mobility limitations are mostly physical or mental.

Him winning the job out of camp is what makes this interesting. Saying Arroyo is stupid for a terrible evaluation is foolish. It is safe to assume that he looked better leading up to the season. Either that or Brumfield is just a gamer that plays better with the light on. Perhaps vice versa with Rogers.

I feel for the guy. He is now 4th on the depth chart.

Roger's was rated one of the top dual threat qbs out of HS. He is the least mobile of the group right now, when he should be the most.

He pretty far removed from the injury at this point, so it is hard to say if his mobility limitations are mostly physical or mental.

Him winning the job out of camp is what makes this interesting. Saying Arroyo is stupid for a terrible evaluation is foolish. It is safe to assume that he looked better leading up to the season. Either that or Brumfield is just a gamer that plays better with the light on. Perhaps vice versa with Rogers.

I feel for the guy. He is now 4th on the depth chart.

Agreed.

Combination of mental and physical I would imagine. He just looks a beat slow reading the field.

Offensive line struggles have not helped any of the QBs.

Arroyo 'gambling' on Rogers wasn't really a gamble. It's not like the NFL where you miss on a 1st round QB and it sets your franchise back 3-4 years.

I don’t know. I would agree if this was his first year but from what we saw of Rogers last year I was worried about him ever returning to that HS form. I certainly didn’t see enough from him that I would run off every Sanchez recruit except Brumfield. If we didn’t stumble into getting a late a walk on from Tate I would be real concerned about having enough QB’s on this roster.

I don’t know. I would agree if this was his first year but from what we saw of Rogers last year I was worried about him ever returning to that HS form. I certainly didn’t see enough from him that I would run off every Sanchez recruit except Brumfield. If we didn’t stumble into getting a late a walk on from Tate I would be real concerned about having enough QB’s on this roster.

He played sparingly last year. Not sure what anybody could garner from that.

Which Sanchez guys did he run off? Oblad? He hasn't exactly lit the FCS world on fire.

Reactions: dcut03
This O-line has a lot to do with the “his getting injured“ or not going forward!
Arroyo better get recruiting some O-line help and while he is at it, get a couple of the following.. WR’s, a TE and pass rushing D-line players!
I concur I think our best lineman are freshman that will mature in a year or two. I've listened to Arroyo it seems he knows the O-line is underperforming as an ex quarterback I can't imagine he doesn't put a premium of having guys up front to protect Doug B.
I have been hoping we use TE packages in Red Zone along with Jordan Jakes especially down close.
Who doesn't want pass rushing DE's they don't grow on trees we got USC C Murphy and Arizona Wilburn and they still haven't jumped off the film as we all hoped, still plenty of time left in season do get 2-4 wins.

Let's remember that we have the highest rated QB in UNLV history right now. Obviously Rogers and Tate were big time recruits (with baggage of course), but Brumfield and Friel were both 3 star QBs that we would be ecstatic about in the past.

Not to say they are all studs, will be studs, etc. But it is hard to blame the recruiting of QB as an issue. None of them have a lot of gametime experience, and that can easily be an issue with QBs.

The O line is struggling (though seem to be improving some) and the run game is struggling though Williams has been relentless this year. I think all of these QBs would fair much better with a more seasoned O line.

The offense overall is the issue, but at least we can see things open up a bit with the last game. The D is better than expected, but needs an above average offense to win games (and give them the needed rest) and we haven't seen that yet.

Also, Good lawd our scehdule has been brutal. Sure EWU was a winnable game, and we had a shot. Having Brumfield may have done it. I am curious how this team fairs with the more typical opponents. Unfortunately it doesn't look we will see that this week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT