ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV vs City College of Reno

I know this is on the MW board but we need our own too....if only to talk a little more smack in the comfort of our own thread.

I'll never assume a team will approach the century mark on us....Duke didn't even do it, but I won't rule it out tonight. Can you imagine if we upset? They're wearing their special jerseys (ugly as F*** if you ask me) getting Michael Buffer to announce the lineups, sold out crowd, coming off an embarrassing loss to Utah State...conditions are perfect for them to either destroy us and hand the Rebs their 5th loss in a row, or we will magically upset and ruin their entire week.

I stick by my Rebels through thick and thin. I have supported them during this worst of seasons, because I’m a Runnin’ Rebel. I happily accepted the role when Tark was racking up lopsided wins, so I must absorb the disappointments of losses to San Jose St & South Alabama.

But what’s about to happen this evening may be more than even I, can bear. Getting humiliated by that “other” Nevada team is the ultimate embarrassment. I may have to turn it off very early. If the Rebels can find a way to keep the game competitive, I’d take that as a win. No one could make a case that they aren’t better than us. Of course, they are. And Musselman is a good coach.

Honestly, for perhaps the first time in conference play, I’m expecting the worst. But who knows? Maybe our guys will find a way to click tonight. Stranger things have happened.

suicidal-smiley-emoticon.gif

Go Rebels!

Reactions: RebelScrub
I've wanted to turn basically every game off this season, but I haven't been able to hit the power button yet. I'll probably watch every second of the game tonight and hope for an outcome like last year with the Pat McCaw overtime shot....in my opinion that was the last time I heard the T&M getting really freakin loud.

Reactions: RebelScrub
LOL

Sandler's pregame comments and even his tone suggests we have ALREADY lost!

We are absolutely ALLERGIC to scoring under the rim. You can't coach that....they're just really bad.

That was pathetic. Our program is in a sorry state. New AD needs to clean house. Sad!"

Mmmm...This sounds like something that someone might tweet at 3 am…
images

What exactly do you mean by “clean house”? If you’re referring to the current coaching staff, then, with all due respect, you’re being ridiculous. Apart from the fact that Menzies hasn’t even had a genuine recruiting season yet, if you’re going to keep changing the head coach, we’ll never get out of this hole.

Continuity! It’s the only way. There’s no shortcut. That’s become glaringly obvious this season. When we were looking somewhat competitive during the OOC portion of the season, we may have fooled ourselves into believing that this thrown-together collection of misfits might actually be able to compete in a weak MWC. Once league play began, we were quickly disabused of that notion.

We’re not a good team. Far from it. Which is not to say that there aren’t some players with promise. But there are too many good players out there, and every team we play has more of them than we do. And many of them have had several seasons together, to become a well-oiled machine. There’s simply no way that we can match that.

I’m as demoralized as anyone here, at getting blown-out by that Community College to the north. Hell, they turned that game into their own private Super Bowl. Michael Buffer? Really? That's because they knew that we were having a down season, and they were having one of their better ones. Let’s see how they do when we’re both athletically equal. Try as they might, they’ll never match the glorious accomplishments in basketball that their big brothers down south have achieved. So let them party, …for now.

It’s quite possible that we won’t win another game this season. But if people are going to lose it after each beat-down, it’s going to make an already long season, interminable.

How about we suffer through this one in relative silence, and give Marvin Menzies and his staff a reasonable period to show what they can do with a team, recruited to their liking? A couple of years from now we’ll enjoy the fruits of our current suffering.

banging-head-on-the-wall-smiley-emoticon.gif

Go Rebels!

Last edited:
images

What exactly do you mean by “clean house”? If you’re referring to the current coaching staff, then, with all due respect, you’re being ridiculous. Apart from the fact that Menzies hasn’t even had a genuine recruiting season yet, if you’re going to keep changing the head coach, we’ll never get out of this hole.

Continuity! It’s the only way. There’s no shortcut. That’s become glaringly obvious this season. When we were looking somewhat competitive during the OOC portion of the season, we may have fooled ourselves into believing that this thrown-together collection of misfits might actually be able to compete in a weak MWC. Once league play began, we were quickly disabused of that notion.

We’re not a good team. Far from it. Which is not to say that there aren’t some players with promise. But there are too many good players out there, and every team we play has more of them than we do. And many of them have had several seasons together, to become a well-oiled machine. There’s simply no way that we can match that.

I’m as demoralized as anyone here, at getting blown-out by that Community College to the north. Hell, they turned that game into their own private Super Bowl. Michael Buffer? Really? That's because they knew that we were having a down season, and they were having one of their better ones. Let’s see how they do when we’re both athletically equal. Try as they might, they’ll never match the glorious accomplishments in basketball that their big brothers down south have achieved. So let them party, …for now.

It’s quite possible that we won’t win another game this season. But if people are going to lose it after each beat-down, it’s going to make an already long season, interminable.

How about we suffer through this one in relative silence, and give Marvin Menzies and his staff a reasonable period to show what they can do with a team, recruited to their liking? A couple of years from now we’ll enjoy the fruits of our current suffering.

Go Rebels!

I don't think Menzies is the answer. He doesn't have the ceiling this program needs. His recruits at NMSU couldn't cut it in the MWC.

images

Go Rebels!
Competitive in the non conference season? When was that? Are you talking about vs the sub 250 teams or in the 20 point blowout losses. Where, exactly, were they looking competitive????? The 5-2 record was against complete nobodies. And we struggled in some of those, like against Todd's 4 win team. The signs were very evident early. Since that 5-2 early, we are what? 5-13?

Competitive in the non conference season? When was that? Are you talking about vs the sub 250 teams or in the 20 point blowout losses. Where, exactly, were they looking competitive????? The 5-2 record was against complete nobodies. And we struggled in some of those, like against Todd's 4 win team. The signs were very evident early. Since that 5-2 early, we are what? 5-13?
OK, Joe. Calm down.
pulling-hair.gif

You've made it crystal clear, on more than one occasion, that you’ve been especially offended by the embarrassments we’ve suffered at the hands of Top-10 teams, and others. I get it, I do.

But I distinctly remember more than one post on this site, after wins over admittedly inferior competition, suggesting that we might be able to compete in the depressed Mountain West. We should be able to defend our home-court, and pick up several wins on the road. I think I probably wrote one of those myself.

It can be difficult, at the beginning of the season, to gauge just how bad an opponent (or we) might be. Sometimes that which you desire, overtakes your good sense. Before the Arizona St game, there were occasions when we looked like we might be able to play.

Reality came crashing down on us just before halftime in Phoenix. We haven’t recovered since then. But for one brief moment, if you kinda squinted your eyes just so, we looked like we could be okay.

Obviously, that was fool’s gold. We’ll be lucky if we win another game this season. We occupy the cellar of the ninth-best(worst?) conference in the country. But there’s nowhere left to sink, so it’s uphill from here. Cheer up…

cheer-up-smiley-emoticon-2.gif

Go Rebels!

I don't think Menzies is the answer. He doesn't have the ceiling this program needs. His recruits at NMSU couldn't cut it in the MWC.
Really? You don't think that Pascal Siakam, the starting power forward for the Toronto Raptors of the NBA in his rookie season, "couldn't cut it in the MWC"?
marvin.gif

Even if what you erroneously suggested were true, comparing the quality of recruits likely to choose the WAC vs those that might opt for UNLV is truly apples and oranges. If you want to examine Marvin Menzies' recruiting “ceiling”, as you put it, try looking at those he signed as an assistant for Rick Pitino’s Louisville team, or Steve Fisher’ SDSU teams that dominated the Mountain West, at a time when we were in a three and possibly four-team NCAA tournament bid league. In those years the MW was rated as the second or third-toughest conference in America (currently we occupy ninth-place).

MM is regarded, by the coaching community, as a top-quality recruiter. Time will tell how successful he will be at UNLV. But your criticism of his ability to recruit is ill-informed, at best.
homer-popping-up-smiley-emoticon.gif

Go Rebels!

Last edited:
OK, Joe. Calm down.
pulling-hair.gif

You've made it crystal clear, on more than one occasion, that you’ve been especially offended by the embarrassments we’ve suffered at the hands of Top-10 teams, and others. I get it, I do.

But I distinctly remember more than one post on this site, after wins over admittedly inferior competition, suggesting that we might be able to compete in the depressed Mountain West. We should be able to defend our home-court, and pick up several wins on the road. I think I probably wrote one of those myself.

It can be difficult, at the beginning of the season, to gauge just how bad an opponent (or we) might be. Sometimes that which you desire, overtakes your good sense. Before the Arizona St game, there were occasions when we looked like we might be able to play.

Reality came crashing down on us just before halftime in Phoenix. We haven’t recovered since then. But for one brief moment, if you kinda squinted your eyes just so, we looked like we could be okay.

Obviously, that was fool’s gold. We’ll be lucky if we win another game this season. We occupy the cellar of the ninth-best(worst?) conference in the country. But there’s nowhere left to sink, so it’s uphill from here. Cheer up…

cheer-up-smiley-emoticon-2.gif

Go Rebels!
Trust me, I get it. I think everyone wants to see things for what they hope them to be instead of what they are. Not just basketball.

I think everyone knew we were going to struggle. Hell, the PR trip or wherever it was they went this summer ... lost to some Canadian team. Looks like that was a pretty clear predictor of this season.

I'm not mad, not really even frustrated. Yeah, given the state of the lowly MWC, it SHOULD be better. Even with plenty of reasons, those aren't good enough reasons to drop some of the games we have. But it's not that big of a deal. It's not like it's the difference between post season and no postseason. There's not much difference between a 54 percent on an exam or a 40 percent on an exam.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing some of the guys grow. There's decent youth on the team. And yeah, next year will be better, partly because it can't get worse, partly because the MWC will still suck, partly because the schedule is going to be watered down, partly because we are just a better team due to experience and familiarity. I think I'd rather just fast forward 8 months. Because this is tough to watch basketball.

Reactions: TarkisGod
Really? You don't think that Pascal Siakam, the starting power forward for the Toronto Raptors of the NBA in his rookie season, "couldn't cut it in the MWC"?
marvin.gif

Even if what you erroneously suggested were true, comparing the quality of recruits likely to choose the WAC vs those that might opt for UNLV is truly apples and oranges. If you want to examine Marvin Menzies' recruiting “ceiling”, as you put it, try looking at those he signed as an assistant for Rick Pitino’s Louisville team, or Steve Fisher’ SDSU teams that dominated the Mountain West, at a time when we were in a three and possibly four-team NCAA tournament bid league. In those years the MW was rated as the second or third-toughest conference in America (currently we occupy ninth-place).

MM is regarded, by the coaching community, as a top-quality recruiter. Time will tell how successful he will be at UNLV. But your criticism of his ability to recruit is ill-informed, at best.
homer-popping-up-smiley-emoticon.gif

Go Rebels!
I think at this point, his true ability is a bit hampered by other things. It's tough to recruit to UNLV right now. I think he's a good recruiter. But UNLV isn't exactly a sexy place to be playing and forces work against us, too. We gave people plenty of ammo. That's not MM's fault, just another obstacle.

Reactions: TarkisGod
Just gonna take a little time. We all knew that (well, most of us got the memo) before this season started.

Coach Menzies has a Coach Spoonhour job ahead of him. Maybe he isn't the answer to take us to the FF (lol), BUT he at least could be a great transition until George Karl (or Rick Pitino) walks through that door.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT