ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV Transfers

hours ago · Oregon has lost another scholarship player to the transfer portal. Earlier this month, running back Cyrus Habibi-Likio entered the portal and now redshirt freshman quarterback Cale Millen has decided to as well, per ESPN's Adam Rittenberg.. He will have four seasons of eligiblity remaining.

Cyrus did not play very much at all in the Covid year. His average rush is about 4 yards per carry over his two seasons at Oregon. Big at 215 lbs and 6'1". Would have two seasons of eligibility at least. I would say he could do really well at most MWC's or equivalent. Big 12 could come calling too.

I think if he wants to come here, with our roster unless you really think Rogers is more than he's shown then you almost have to take the kid.

Tyleek Collins is in the transfer portal. Hate to see him go as he had some great moments but we never really fully utilized his talents.

Don't forget Justin Rogers from TCU as QB! I think he has a lot to do with why several QB's have left.

I didn’t see anything out of Rogers to feel like he already has the job for 2021. I don’t think he even separated himself from Brumfield based off of 2020. Our QB play was pretty terrible last year. I definitely wouldn’t mind another experienced QB and Tate could certainly come in and challenge those 2 for the starting job.

Martell:

Poway HS
Bishop Gorman HS
Washington commit/de-commit
Texas A&M commit/de-commit
OSU transfer
Miami kicked off team??/transfer

maybe he has talent, although he hasn’t shown it. I wouldn’t touch this kid with a 10 foot pole. Actually I’d love to see him go to UNLV and get beat out like he has everywhere else he’s been.

Reactions: 1Tripoda
UNLV only had three scholarship qb so I think they should add 2..maybe Tate and the freshman from Oregon. If UNLV wants to advance next year they have to get much better at qb

Martell:

Poway HS
Bishop Gorman HS
OSU transfer

maybe he has talent, although he hasn’t shown it. I wouldn’t touch this kid with a 10 foot pole. Actually I’d love to see him go to UNLV and get beat out like he has everywhere else he’s been.
I’m never a fan of that type of movement. Doesn’t have to be the case, but screams one of two things to me .... afraid to compete or he and/or circle are a pain in the ass.

I’m never a fan of that type of movement. Doesn’t have to be the case, but screams one of two things to me .... afraid to compete or he and/or circle are a pain in the ass.
Not good either way.

UNLV only had three scholarship qb so I think they should add 2..maybe Tate and the freshman from Oregon. If UNLV wants to advance next year they have to get much better at qb
You want 5 qbs on scholarships? The NFL only carry 3 .

Most colleges carry at least 4 but UNLV has to get it right and Rodgers and Blumfield showed so little. The other is a true freshman. If you can get the Oregon transfer you have to take him but since he is a freshman I would like an experienced guy with him. Maybe you just take the Oregon transfer

Martell was back up to a first rounder twice. That is not a reason to be down on him. The experience at Miami was similar. A really mobile quarterback who could run because their O line sucked. Maybe the same thing would happen here because we are so young. Martell has had great coaching and certainly has the body to be a slot receiver/shotgun quarterback.

I havent really seen Oblad play so I have no clue how good he is or where he fits in, but my first thought was he ends up at Weber St or Southern Utah. Will he do better than that??

I can't see it.

For all the talk of Oblad being a baller a few things to keep in mind.

1) Look at his completion % vs Armani two seasons ago. It really wasn't much better.

2) He had a number of slow starts in games.

3) Yes, he throws a nice ball, but he was not very mobile. He basically took all zone read plays out of the playbook.

4) He had a lot of garbage time stat padding.

Was he a better option than Armani? Yeah, I guess.

Was he a guy I think UNLV could go bowling with at QB....I doubt it.

In the right offense he might flourish.

I think people need to go back and look at his stats. Stats don't tell the whole story but they tell you enough.

Reactions: j. spilotro
Most colleges carry at least 4 but UNLV has to get it right and Rodgers and Blumfield showed so little. The other is a true freshman. If you can get the Oregon transfer you have to take him but since he is a freshman I would like an experienced guy with him. Maybe you just take the Oregon transfer

In defense of all the QBs this season. The WR situation was not great this year.

Pressley out again. Grimes out. Woods graduated. Stevenson out.

That's your top four guys from the previous year gone.

A lot of true freshman starting.

If Grimes had played at least there is a downfield threat to open up the underneath stuff.

Obviously none of the QBs played well, but I'm not sure it's all because of their lack of talent.

There was also a lot of shuffling along the O-Line with guys playing out of normal positions.

Rogers was a safe gamble. Another year removed from an injury should help his confidence. Brumfield has a big arm. I think he has (I hate cliches but here we go) upside.

Agree totally, if you can land an experienced QB or 5th year senior in the portal, I think you grab them.

In defense of all the QBs this season. The WR situation was not great this year.

Pressley out again. Grimes out. Woods graduated. Stevenson out.

That's your top four guys from the previous year gone.

A lot of true freshman starting.

If Grimes had played at least there is a downfield threat to open up the underneath stuff.

Obviously none of the QBs played well, but I'm not sure it's all because of their lack of talent.

There was also a lot of shuffling along the O-Line with guys playing out of normal positions.

Rogers was a safe gamble. Another year removed from an injury should help his confidence. Brumfield has a big arm. I think he has (I hate cliches but here we go) upside.

Agree totally, if you can land an experienced QB or 5th year senior in the portal, I think you grab them.

I was able to watch about 1/2 the games this year. I only saw a little bit of Rogers. But what I saw I liked. I thought he had a good body who could sit in the pocket and throw a nice ball. Good arm. Didn't see much mobility, but he is coming off a pretty signficant injury and being another year removed next season could give him more pep in his step.

Obvisouly not sold on him, but I can see potential and would not rule him out.

I do not think Oblad got a raw deal. It seemed like coach Arroyo gave all the QBs a pretty fair shake. His immobility is just not a great fit for this offense.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Martell:

Poway HS
Bishop Gorman HS
OSU transfer

Lol, I wonder if CTS was able to land him would he still be the Rebels Coach ?

Scoring points wasn't really the problem for Sanchez (and every UNLV coach other than John Robinson). It was the inability to stop anyone... Ever.
Bull is right. We usually are good to strong with our receiver corps. That was dead in the water this season

We showed nothing, nowhere this season. I’m not knocking Arroyo, it was six games, schedule all over the place, hard to expect any continuity and week to week improvement.

Nothing was revealed or grown upon this season. No idea of long term plans or philosophy were evident.

Wins and losses aside, i expect some of that stuff to start materializing next season though.

Reactions: Rebelious1
Bull is right. We usually are good to strong with our receiver corps. That was dead in the water this season

We showed nothing, nowhere this season. I’m not knocking Arroyo, it was six games, schedule all over the place, hard to expect any continuity and week to week improvement.

Nothing was revealed or grown upon this season. No idea of long term plans or philosophy were evident.

Wins and losses aside, i expect some of that stuff to start materializing next season though.

I think this was the most frustrating year offensively since Hauck's first year.

Scoring points wasn't really the problem for Sanchez (and every UNLV coach other than John Robinson). It was the inability to stop anyone... Ever.

I love this website because it has all stats from previous seasons. Here is the PPG and national rank since JRob. With the exception of his first year JRob's offenses were actually decent by UNLV standards. Hauck's were probably the worst and Sanchez's the best. I didnt feel like taking the time to post the stats, but the defenses over this time have been pathetic with the exception of JRobs years which were actually pretty good his best being 36th out of 117 schools and another year being 42/117.

2020: 17.3 119 out of 127 schools Arroyo
2019: 24.2 97/130 Sanchez
2018: 28.8 67/130
2017: 28.8 61/130
2016: 31.6 47/128
2015: 28.6 67/128
2014: 21.9 107/128 Hauck
2013: 31.8 58/125
2012: 22.0 97/124
2011: 18.1 113/120
2010: 18.4 110.120
2009: 24.8 77/120 Sanford
2008: 25.6 58/120
2007: 18.2 113/120
2006: 19.8 84/119
2005: 18.8 101/119
2004: 20.8 98/120 JRob
2003: 21.3 89/117
2002: 24.3 78/117
2001: 25.8 66/117
2000: 28.5 46/116
1999: 14.5 106/116

Reactions: Rebelious1
I love this website because it has all stats from previous seasons. Here is the PPG and national rank since JRob. With the exception of his first year JRob's offenses were actually decent by UNLV standards. Hauck's were probably the worst and Sanchez's the best. I didnt feel like taking the time to post the stats, but the defenses over this time have been pathetic with the exception of JRobs years which were actually pretty good his best being 36th out of 117 schools and another year being 42/117.

I think the parenthese went in the wrong place. I meant that to say that J. Rob was the only one with a decent defense. It was not a comment on his offense.

Hauck's bowl season the defense wasn't good. But, they did seem to come up with timely stops, or force a turnover at critical moments.

It's been a long stretch of awful defense.

For all the complaints about Barney Cotton as OC, I thought he was pretty solid.

He had two or three occasions where I didn't think he called a particularly good game.

The 2nd half of the AF game when the Rebs had a big lead..

The SDSU game where Sneed was making his 1st or 2nd start. I thought he was too conservative. Defense was keeping them in that game and Cotton seemed to just be hoping Lex would break one. Never let Sneed challenge the defense downfield.

Cotton's tenure the Rebs avg about 30 ppg. That should be enough to get you close to .500 if your defense is even mediocre.

For all the complaints about Barney Cotton as OC, I thought he was pretty solid.

He had two or three occasions where I didn't think he called a particularly good game.

The 2nd half of the AF game when the Rebs had a big lead..

The SDSU game where Sneed was making his 1st or 2nd start. I thought he was too conservative. Defense was keeping them in that game and Cotton seemed to just be hoping Lex would break one. Never let Sneed challenge the defense downfield.

Cotton's tenure the Rebs avg about 30 ppg. That should be enough to get you close to .500 if your defense is even mediocre.
Since Jrob, our offense has been mediocre to poor, our defense has been poor, our special teams have been poor.

We’ve sucked.

I remember being at least semi excited about certain units over the years. Receiving corps, backfield .... for defense, no. Certain players, but not entire units, not since Jrob with the secondary/LB’s ... even Dline to an extent. And back then, special teams did SOMETHING now and again, some good kickers, decent returners, could block some kicks too.

We really have been pretty poor in nearly all aspects for quite some time.

Playing JRob up to have a hall of fame career here - even though he drove me nuts much of the time with how conservative and predictable we were. But, “pretty solid” is apropos, and for UNLV football, that’s pretty damn good.

Since Jrob, our offense has been mediocre to poor, our defense has been poor, our special teams have been poor.

We’ve sucked.

I remember being at least semi excited about certain units over the years. Receiving corps, backfield .... for defense, no. Certain players, but not entire units, not since Jrob with the secondary/LB’s ... even Dline to an extent. And back then, special teams did SOMETHING now and again, some good kickers, decent returners, could block some kicks too.

We really have been pretty poor in nearly all aspects for quite some time.

Playing JRob up to have a hall of fame career here - even though he drove me nuts much of the time with how conservative and predictable we were. But, “pretty solid” is apropos, and for UNLV football, that’s pretty damn good.

3rd and 9...

QB draw with Jason Thomas.

Every damn time.

Defense has had some stand out dudes.

My favorite was Beau Bell. Felt like that guy was good for 10 tackles a game.

Eric Wright at CB was really good.

Brimmer..If there was a player that should have come out a year early it was him. His JR year tape (especially Wisconsin game) was excellent. Probably could have swayed a GM to take a shot on him despite sub par 40 time. Senior year he got asked to cover more and got exposed a bit. Still one of the better DBs UNLV has had..

Javin White was a bright spot for some awful defenses.

Robinson's LB Corp of Seward, Clarridge, Andrews and Bell was as good as UNLV has had.

3rd and 9...

Every damn time.

Brimmer..If there was a player that should have come out a year early it was him. His JR year tape (especially Wisconsin game) was excellent. Probably could have swayed a GM to take a shot on him despite sub par 40 time. Senior year he got asked to cover more and got exposed a bit. Still one of the better DBs UNLV has had..

Robinson's LB Corp of Seward, Clarridge, Andrews and Bell was as good as UNLV has had.
Can’t forget KT. LOVED watching him bait quarterbacks by leaving a man seemingly open.

And Randy was tough too.

He was no Dodd-Masters!

I forget who it was against, but he had been smoked (hence the nickname Dutch Masters) like 2 or 3 times for TDs in a game. He breaks up a pass late in the game, the Rebs were down like 20+ and he gives the WR he was covering the throat slit..

Ah the menories..

He was no Dodd-Masters!

I forget who it was against, but he had been smoked (hence the nickname Dutch Masters) like 2 or 3 times for TDs in a game. He breaks up a pass late in the game, the Rebs were down like 20+ and he gives the WR he was covering the throat slit..

Ah the menories..
He was also the 5th guy in on a tackle for loss with a very soft tackle and he'd celebrate like he was Mark Gastineau

3rd and 9...

Every damn time.

How about the Ole Miss game when JRob calls a run from the 17 yard line with no time on the clock and Rudolph scores. Then Kevin Brown gets the 2 pt conversion to send the game to OT.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
How about the Ole Miss game when JRob calls a run from the 17 yard line with no time on the clock and Rudolph scores. Then Kevin Brown gets the 2 pt conversion to send the game to OT.
Dumbest great call I’ve seen in UNLV football history.

I still remember that, I heard the radio call at the time, we were watching somebody play at GVHS. It was a Dixie State JC exhibition game. I think it was Banks and the kid that went to LSU that I really wanted ... his name eludes me. Jaime somebody ... Jaime Lloreda maybe?

Didn’t they bring in Deuce late? Didn’t intend on playing him, injury, was supposed to be a blowout ...

I believe so...

Slightly off topic, (as most threads tend to).

I remember the crowds being more lively and fun back then. Especially for big OOC games like Wisconsin. The Iowa State Phillip Payne game was as much fun as I can remember at Sam Boyd.

Pretty sad you could make a strong argument that Sanford's 5-7 team that beat ASU and ISU was the best team the Rebs have had in the last 25 years. They had 2 or 3 games they lost that were one score affairs heading into the 4th quarter.

JRob certinly brought in more talent then we’ve ever had, a shame he was so conservative with the offense. Seemed like (when we did throw) all we ran was curl routes and Thomas would throw it over the WRs head by 10 feet. Really too bad Thomas couldn’t play a few years later in the spread era, would’ve been fun to watch. Still some great memories.

1-Miracle at Baylor. Remember listening on the radio. Announcer called the fumble and yelled “REBELS HAVE THE FOOTBALL! REBELS HAVE THE FOOTBALL!”. Thought “So what? Have time for 1 play and 99 yards to go?” Of course Kevin Thomas was running it back for a score, just took the announcer awhile to say that, haha.

2-Dominating Wisconsin where Brimmer became known nationally

3-Convincing win over Arkansas in the bowl game

4-JROB owning Reno. Only coach to do so since I have been following sports. Think he was 5-1 or something like that.

Games were certainly more fun with much livelier crowds, however the ”best” crowd I ever experienced was 94 vs Reno. Jeff Horton’s only good year. We upset Reno 32-27 to win the Big West and go to the LV Bowl (where we avenged a loss to Central Michigan). It was a day game (and very cold), but the crowd stood for most of the game and was as loud as I’ve ever heard

JRob certinly brought in more talent then we’ve ever had, a shame he was so conservative with the offense. Seemed like (when we did throw) all we ran was curl routes and Thomas would throw it over the WRs head by 10 feet. Really too bad Thomas couldn’t play a few years later in the spread era, would’ve been fun to watch. Still some great memories.

1-Miracle at Baylor. Remember listening on the radio. Announcer called the fumble and yelled “REBELS HAVE THE FOOTBALL! REBELS HAVE THE FOOTBALL!”. Thought “So what? Have time for 1 play and 99 yards to go?” Of course Kevin Thomas was running it back for a score, just took the announcer awhile to say that, haha.

4-JROB owning Reno. Only coach to do so since I have been following sports. Think he was 5-1 or something like that.

Games were certainly more fun with much livelier crowds, however the ”best” crowd I ever experienced was 94 vs Reno. Jeff Horton’s only good year. We upset Reno 32-27 to win the Big West and go to the LV Bowl (where we avenged a loss to Central Michigan). It was a day game (and very cold), but the crowd stood for most of the game and was as loud as I’ve ever heard
Great post. Post more often.

Definitely

Thomas would have flourished in the spread offenses of today. Big QB, decent speed, good arm until he injured his shoulder.

Sanford's drubbing of Utah is up there for me.

By the 4th quarter you could see Utah defenders wanted no part of tackling Frank Summers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT