ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV Transfers

RebNReno

NBA Draft Pick
Oct 17, 2015
It’s that time of the year and the transfer portal is heating up. I expect nationally there will be a lot more transfers than a typical year because of the extra year of eligibility. How many guys will UNLV lose? Will we lose anyone significant?

So far I’ve seen Grimes, Francis, Gilliam, and Caldwell decided to retire.

Last edited:
I consider it a huge deal he is coming back. With a full year of working with this team, he will have the chance to be the impact player that was expected this year.

Barring an injury Chuck will likely end up the all time rushing leader in UNLV history.

This is great news for 2021. Reese looks like he could be a nice change of pace back but we really didn’t have much behind Williams this year. I feel much better about the RB spot next year now.

A little more depth added to the RB position. Jayvaun Wilson from Oregon will transfer here. No stats at Oregon but I’m sure CMA must have liked him while they were together there. Was a high 3* coming out of HS

A little more depth added to the RB position. Jayvaun Wilson from Oregon will transfer here. No stats at Oregon but I’m sure CMA must have liked him while they were together there. Was a high 3* coming out of HS

210 pound Running Back who runs a 4.4 second 40? I'm on board. Looks like he's got quite a bit of eligibility left too. Oregon backfield was very crowded, sounds like he just wanted to play someplace.

210 pound Running Back who runs a 4.4 second 40? I'm on board. Looks like he's got quite a bit of eligibility left too. Oregon backfield was very crowded, sounds like he just wanted to play someplace.

Yes Oregon's backfield was stacked, he spend two seasons in Eugene with out getting any carries, so obviously was way down the depth chart, there were at least 4 RB's ahead of him this year. Could be a good get for UNLV. He has redshirted already, so I guess will need a waiver unless players are immediately eligible??

As Ive said before although I know nothing, it wouldnt surprise me to see a UO QB land at UNLV as well. There is a log jam in the Fresh/RS Fresh/Soph/Incoming Fresh classes at UO, and also a Sr that played in the last two games that is expected to return for his Covid makeup year.

Yes Oregon's backfield was stacked, he spend two seasons in Eugene with out getting any carries, so obviously was way down the depth chart, there were at least 4 RB's ahead of him this year. Could be a good get for UNLV. He has redshirted already, so I guess will need a waiver unless players are immediately eligible??
Most power conference benchers are going to be a good addition to UNLV. That’s not a sleight. They’re stacked, they have some excess. Come on down.

Most power conference benchers are going to be a good addition to UNLV. That’s not a sleight. They’re stacked, they have some excess. Come on down.

By rank, this RB would be our 3rd highest recruit ever behind Alvin Marshal and Aaron Straiten. So the highest recruit since Mike Sanford was coaching. And he got 0 touches at Oregon this year.

By rank, this RB would be our 3rd highest recruit ever behind Alvin Marshal and Aaron Straiten. So the highest recruit since Mike Sanford was coaching. And he got 0 touches at Oregon this year.
I think having the size and speed differences in the backfield can really change the predictability for UNLV. It'll give some versatility to the offense.

It’s that time of the year and the transfer portal is heating up. I expect nationally there will be a lot more transfers than a typical year because of the extra year of eligibility. How many guys will UNLV lose? Will we lose anyone significant?

So far I’ve seen Grimes, Francis, Gilliam, and Caldwell decided to retire.

I don't know exactly what he did to get suspended this year, but Randal Grimes was a beast when he played the previous year. Hopefully he eventually decides to stay a Rebel, but good luck to the guy where ever he ends up.

I don't know exactly what he did to get suspended this year, but Randal Grimes was a beast when he played the previous year. Hopefully he eventually decides to stay a Rebel, but good luck to the guy where ever he ends up.

I had real high hopes for Grimes. He had the talent to be an all time Rebel great. I’d love to see him come back but when CMA suspended him for the entire year I think the writing was on the wall that he was done here. If he was suspended for a legal issue (arrest) I could have seen him coming back but a year long suspension for violating team rules seems to me like CMA didn’t want him around.

but when CMA suspended him for the entire year

I'm fairly sure he was kicked out of school. After the statement was made a couple months ago, I checked the roster and he wasn't on it. Didnt seek the statement here and now, but it was a university issue, not a just a team one.

Just to clarify/test my recollection.

I had real high hopes for Grimes. He had the talent to be an all time Rebel great. I’d love to see him come back but when CMA suspended him for the entire year I think the writing was on the wall that he was done here. If he was suspended for a legal issue (arrest) I could have seen him coming back but a year long suspension for violating team rules seems to me like CMA didn’t want him around.

Grimes was suspended in November of 2019, while Sanchez was still coach, and he missed the final game of the '19 season. All that I've seen stated was a year suspension "for violation of team and university rules" which generally means the suspension is not something that coaches have a say in lifting.

Does anyone know anything about Brandon Logan who just signed to play with the Rebels. All I could find is he can play both rt/lt

As a juco transfer, he doesn't have much time to gain weight. 270-275 is kinda light for a 6-6 OT at D1.

Reactions: billd99s
Figured KO would be on his way out. I thought he looked pretty good as a freshman QB. I hope he gets a chance to play somewhere else. Thank you for winning that 2019 Cannon game!

Croom was pretty solid for us. Don’t know how buried he was at Arizona.

Croom was solid.

There have been some decent transfers.

Jason Thomas was good for us for a season until the injury. Frank Crawford (Safety from Ole Miss Hauck's bowl year, I think it was Crawford) was really good that year.

Too many Thor Pili Aaron, Streiten and Rocky Hines types that never panned out. Not their fault. Just didn't work out.

Reactions: j. spilotro
A few more:
Eric Wright (SC)
Lonnie Palelei (Purdue)
Kevin Brown (Wazzu)

also several guys that signed with P5 schools and transferred to a JUCO.

Jason Vaughn (Ole Miss)
Jeremi Rudolph (signed with Florida St didn’t qualify, signed pro baseball deal, JUCO)
Stacey Monroe (UofA, Dixie)

Last edited:
I knew Anton Palepoi pretty well when he played for the Seahawks and I also lived in Seattle. He told me the one and only reason he went to UNLV was JRob, there were several other players that would also say the same.
Don’t know how much he sought. I think many sought him. He had the name of one that could get you in the league.

Either it was a bad decision, not sure if he left because he wanted to or wash pushed out, or he feels like he has a home run at QB for next season.

Reactions: billd99s
I havent really seen Oblad play so I have no clue how good he is or where he fits in, but my first thought was he ends up at Weber St or Southern Utah. Will he do better than that??

One of the worst decisions Arroyo made. KO is a baller
By UNLV standards he was above average. Would have rather had him stay than go... not sure why he was in the doghouse, but if it wasn't gonna work it wasn't gonna work. No sense holding on a scholarship if he won't be given a chance and he's unhappy. Make use of that scholarship for useful depth elsewhere.

Reactions: rebneck
Tate Martell has once again entered the portal. This 247 link list UNLV as the projected landing spot. Kid had a ton of potential out of Bishop Gorman but his college career has been a disappointment. We clearly need another experienced QB now that we’ve lost 3 this off-season and only have a freshman coming in. Hopefully Tate’s ready to go! The talent is there.

• Wow
Reactions: LVRebel2000
Tate Martell would be a really interesting pickup. Bigger arm and better athleticism than anyone still on the roster (or recently departed). His issue has always been between the ears. You get a coach that can straighten that out you're in business. But Urban and Manny couldn't get it done, and each time he hasn't won the starting spot he's sort of quit. Maybe he needs to be the anointed one to find his drive.

Arroyo will have to think about this. He has had excellent coaching. He played at Ohio State. I think I would take a shot at him, especially since he is back home training hard. It depends on who else is moving around. Arroyo has already picked up running back from Oregon, who else is sitting on the bench who could be a star at a lesser known school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT