ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV Offense?

the Florian Trout

UNLV Hall of Fame
Jan 27, 2004
Carlsbad, CA
I hear a lot of complaints about our offense or lack of offense. I am no guru, but what i have seen lately looks like garbage.....weave weave weave until our alpha has the ball and then see what happens. There has been consistent talk about not knowing what to do against a zone as well.

I am wondering which UNLV coach has ran the best offense?

I hear a lot of complaints about our offense or lack of offense. I am no guru, but what i have seen lately looks like garbage.....weave weave weave until our alpha has the ball and then see what happens. There has been consistent talk about not knowing what to do against a zone as well.

I am wondering which UNLV coach has ran the best offense?
Tark’s was the most simple, actually. Just a few set plays. Nothing too fancy. But the players were good enough. As long as the spacing was there and unselfish play was there, it would thrive. I’m not talking about the fast break, which was awesome. I’m talking half court sets.

I loved the set that included a high low, I’m a big fan of high low if you have the right parts. UNLV was able to run multiple players through both positions because they were multi-skilled.

Tark’s was the most simple, actually. Just a few set plays. Nothing too fancy. But the players were good enough. As long as the spacing was there and unselfish play was there, it would thrive. I’m not talking about the fast break, which was awesome. I’m talking half court sets.

I loved the set that included a high low, I’m a big fan of high low if you have the right parts. UNLV was able to run multiple players through both positions because they were multi-skilled.
Bayno’s were balanced. Utilized the post a lot (Kas). Primarily inside out. We got in trouble with post doubles or zones. Kas was awful feeding out of the post and the teams were inconsistent with shooting.

Spoon ran similar sets to Bayno, but had a stupendous one on one player with Marcus. Marcus was good enough that you roll the ball out there, you’re winning 20 games. And that’s what we did.

Lon had similar offenses to Kevin, but Lon had much better players and more team oriented guys (it’s what I despise about the portal era). We were pretty balanced with Kruger but they would get stymied by the zone (a lot of teams do).

Rice was open court and freedom, looking for spacing and taking advantage of individual abilities (nba stuff). It was hit and miss and overall, too much selfish play. No true point directing things ultimately killed him.

Menzies crossed his fingers and let hero ball rule the day.

I can’t remember anything great or overly poor with Otz.

KK runs a lot of his dads stuff but with unidimensional players that have less overall talent. He runs the same D his dad ran here too which has some advantages but some weaknesses that can be easily exploited.

I guess for years we haven't had an offense. I think the last time I wasn't frustrated was CDR 2nd year and then after that it got progressively worse. I think due to kids less coachable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT