ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV DEFENSE

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
It's long been an issue for the Rebs.

This season, wins will likely be tough to come by.

That said, the defense has a chance to be decent. Not saying it will be great, but better.

Pass rush should improve with the AZ transfer, Plant having another year.

Still not sure about the Windom move to MLB, but that unit is more athletic with him there. He was good rushing the passer last year as a DE, so I thought his move to LB interesting.

Secondary. They struggled last year, but there were a lot of guys forced to play early. Hopefully that trial by fire pays dividends.

If the pass rush improves like I think it might, that should help the secondary.

I still think 4 wins will be tough, but defensively we might finally start seeing some improvements.

It would also help if the offense can sustain some drives and keep them off the field..

Last edited:

That said, the defense has a chance to be decent. Not saying it will be great, but better.

Still not sure about the Windom move to MLB, but that unit is more athletic with him there. He was good rushing the passer last year as a DE, so I thought his move to LB interesting.

Secondary. They struggled last year, but there were a lot of guys Force to play early. Hopefully that trial by fire pays dividends.

If the pass rush improves like I think it might, that should help the secondary.

I still think 4 wins will be tough, but defensively we might finally start seeing some improvements.

It would also help if the offense can sustain some drives and keep them off the field..
Also, add USC transfer Murphy to the rotation on the DL. They’re expecting a lot of productivity from him.

Something tells me Windmon’s move to LB was about getting as much talent on the field at the same time. Hopefully it pans out.

Also, add USC transfer Murphy to the rotation on the DL. They’re expecting a lot of productivity from him.

Something tells me Windmon’s move to LB was about getting as much talent on the field at the same time. Hopefully it pans out.

Agree on Windom. I guess what puzzled me is that he has shown a good ability to get to the passer, something UNLV has struggled with for years...He may very well still be used in blitz packages, I just thought he was explosive off the edge.

Agree on USC transfer. The addition of he and the UA guy might have made that move possible.

Like I said.. I don't know how much better that unit will be, but it should be improved and not be the liability it's been the last decade plus..

Last edited:
Reactions: LVRebel2000

Secondary. They struggled last year, but there were a lot of guys forced to play early. Hopefully that trial by fire pays dividends.

I don't see Drew Tejchman on the roster. I guess he left?

Also I see Brandon Pressley is not on the roster. I thought he opted out last season and would be granted yet another year?

Bull, trust me when I say Vegas Vic was terrible playing middle linebacker. I hate to say that and I wouldn't say it to his face but he was very bad. Not all his fault he was a qb I believe most of his career then switched to linebacker late. He fills out the uniform but IMO has bad technique, average instincts, below ave. athletic movement(unable to get to the ball or coverage effectively). If Windmon is who I and the coaches think he can be the move will help everybody. You would want your alpha male playing right in the middle think Butkus, Lambert, Lewis. Obvious passing downs you can still bring him. We'll see I think the boys have a shot this year to surprise some people we got to stay away from big plays last year with young db's we gave up way too many. They were on islands out there a lot of times all starts with first down and ability to stop the run in base d.
I'll be there opening game!

Bull, trust me when I say Vegas Vic was terrible playing middle linebacker. I hate to say that and I wouldn't say it to his face but he was very bad. Not all his fault he was a qb I believe most of his career then switched to linebacker late. He fills out the uniform but IMO has bad technique, average instincts, below ave. athletic movement(unable to get to the ball or coverage effectively). If Windmon is who I and the coaches think he can be the move will help everybody. You would want your alpha male playing right in the middle think Butkus, Lambert, Lewis. Obvious passing downs you can still bring him. We'll see I think the boys have a shot this year to surprise some people we got to stay away from big plays last year with young db's we gave up way too many. They were on islands out there a lot of times all starts with first down and ability to stop the run in base d.
I'll be there opening game!

I'm really reluctant to call out individual players in a game like football that requires lots of moving parts to be in sync to be successful.

But considering all the hype (which I absolutely hate. Puts unrealistic expectations on players) he has not brought much individual production. Some of that is on the D-Line not occupying blockers and letting them get to the 2nd level.

But the D-Lines in front of Beau Bell weren't great either and that dude stood out every game. He was noticeable...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT