ADVERTISEMENT

Unlv & Air Force in contact w/AAC

Being that most games are on Saturday gotta be honest I'm totally fine if UNLV is playing at 10am our time.

Traveling to away games would kinda suck, but let's be honest we don't travel particularly well as it is now.

6 road games with 10 am 1p or 4pm starts

And

6 homes games with PTZ starts.

Heck this year we have 2 noon home kick offs I believe.

I don't see it as a huge issue really.
From a fan perspective I would like it because Army and Navy are both a reasonable drive for me plus Annapolis is a great town. But the competition is a definite step down from the MWC.

To some degree.

I think top end it's close but MWC gets the nod.

I think AAC is pretty close middle down.
Current MW Is definitely he ACC at the top. Our bottom looks a bit better, but the middle also fell. I think our bottom is better this year but their middle is better.
But Tulane and Memphis are prime targets to leave. UNLV joining the AAC without those schools? Yeesh. I can tell you for free we aren't getting anywhere close to 7 mil. We probably don't get the 4 or 5 we are getting now. It would still be better than if we stayed with the MW maybe.
I don't think the UNLV should jump at a AAC invite right now. PAC? Yes. Oddly it is more stable at the moment

AFA and UNLV to the Big12 would be something, eh?
That would be something that will never happen.
If the Big 12 decide to add more, it would have to be a decently strong football program and have good ratings. We are 1 for 2. AFA is probably 0/2. Tulane and Memphis are 2/2. And they actually make some geographical sense.
We only get an invite with a playoff berth IMO

Current MW Is definitely he ACC at the top. Our bottom looks a bit better, but the middle also fell. I think our bottom is better this year but their middle is better.
But Tulane and Memphis are prime targets to leave. UNLV joining the AAC without those schools? Yeesh. I can tell you for free we aren't getting anywhere close to 7 mil. We probably don't get the 4 or 5 we are getting now. It would still be better than if we stayed with the MW maybe.
I don't think the UNLV should jump at a AAC invite right now. PAC? Yes. Oddly it is more stable at the moment

I don't disagree but MWC is no longer a option.

CUSA would really stink as a landing spot.

I stand by..

1-PAC
2-AAC (With or without Memphis)
3-CUSA

I didn't include the obvious #1 Big12 because I just can't see it happening. Maybe it happens I dont know. But it falls into 'I'll believe it when I'm sitting in Stillwater Oklahoma watching the Rebs and Cowboys kick off and not until then.'

😁

If the Big 12 decide to add more, it would have to be a decently strong football program and have good ratings. We are 1 for 2. AFA is probably 0/2. Tulane and Memphis are 2/2. And they actually make some geographical sense.
Can you imagine if B12 came out of the blue and invited SDSU and UNLV. That pretty much ****s both Pac and MW.

I dream of course.

Can you imagine if B12 came out of the blue and invited SDSU and UNLV. That pretty much ****s both Pac and MW.

I dream of course.

BIG12 is at 16 already.

They recently added UCF, CINCY, BYU and Houston.

I'm not sure they dip into the G5 again.

They might.

But do they want 18?

I guess you could split 'East/West'

Everybody plays 8 conference games in their division with 4 OOC games. Two division champs play in conference title game .

It would reduce travel costs a bit.

Just not sure it's in the cards.

Say it's UNLV. Who else would they add to get to 18?

Reactions: LVRebel2000
BIG12 is at 16 already.

They might.

But do they want 18?

Everybody plays 8 conference games in their division with 4 OOC games. Two division champs play in conference title game .

Memphis

Why are people keep mentioning Tulane? They lost their coaching staff to Houston, a Big 12 member which UNLV soundly beat? How have their fared this year?

What else is important? Their facilities?

I am not buying the rating stats. If you have a winning program and they play an exciting brand of football, people will watch. Also, it's not like Kansas is a traditional football power. Yet UNLV vs Kansas was the no. 3 watch programing on all of TV in the key demographic on Friday night. The key is who carried the game.

— Top Ten Prime Time Telecasts in Adults 18-49:

1. Fox Friday CFB – Big-12 Prime Arizona at Kansas State (P) (Fox, 8:07 PM-11:01 PM, 174 min.) • 0.60/10 A18-49 rating/share (Range: 0.798-0.811 million adults 18-49; 0.40/7 F18-49, 0.80/12 M18-49)

2. WWE Smackdown (USA, 8:00 PM-10:05 PM, 125 min.) • 0.55 A18-49 rating (Range: 0.731-0.744 million adults 18-49; 0.30 F18-49, 0.79 M18-49)

3. College Football Prime UNLV at Kansas (ESPN, 7:00 PM-10:24 PM, 204 min.) • 0.36 A18-49 rating (Range: 0.476-0.489 million adults 18-49; 0.19 F18-49, 0.54 M18-49)

4. Fox CFB Friday-Kick (P) (Fox, 8:00 PM-8:07 PM, 7 min.) • 0.30/5 A18-49 rating/share (Range: 0.396-0.409 million adults 18-49; 0.24/4 F18-49, 0.35/6 M18-49)

5. Let’s Make A Deal Primetime (CBS, 8:00 PM-9:00 PM, 60 min.) • 0.25/4 A18-49 rating/share (Range: 0.329-0.342 million adults 18-49; 0.28/5 F18-49, 0.23/4 M18-49) 20/20 (ABC, 9:01 PM-11:00 PM, 119 min.) • 0.24/4 A18-49 rating/share (Range: 0.315-0.328 million adults 18-49; 0.32/5 F18-49, 0.16/2 M18-49)

6. SportsCenter Prime (ESPN, 10:24 PM-11:00 PM, 36 min.) • 0.18 A18-49 rating (Range: 0.235-0.248 million adults 18-49; 0.08 F18-49, 0.28 M18-49)

7. America’s Got Talent (Fri.) (R) (NBC, 8:00 PM-10:00 PM, 120 min.) • 0.18/3 A18-49 rating/share (Range: 0.235-0.248 million adults 18-49; 0.19/3 F18-49, 0.16/2 M18-49)

8. Lingo (CBS, 9:00 PM-10:00 PM, 60 min.) • 0.17/3 A18-49 rating/share (Range: 0.221-0.235 million adults 18-49; 0.17/3 F18-49, 0.17/2 M18-49)

9. The 76th Emmys: A Night of Firsts (S) (ABC, 8:00 PM-9:01 PM, 61 min.) • 0.17/3 A18-49 rating/share (Range: 0.221-0.235 million adults 18-49; 0.19/3 F18-49, 0.14/2 M18-49)

Read more: https://programminginsider.com/frid...own-retains-its-demos-on-move-to-usa-network/

Why are people keep mentioning Tulane? They lost their coaching staff to Houston, a Big 12 member which UNLV soundly beat? How have their fared this year?

What else is important? Their facilities?

I've asked same thing but they keep popping up in any discussion involving PAC targets.

We got beat by WWE SmackDown? Alright, let's relegate ourself to a Big West once again.

BIG12 is at 16 already.

They might.

But do they want 18?

UCONN...

When is the last date we can leave before we owe $ 34 mil?
Can imagine that. Getting a divorce and waiting for the day to move out off the house to lessen the penalty?
Real or not with UNLV? I really want that $200M, though..WE CAN DO THIS!

I am not buying the rating stats. If you have a winning program and they play an exciting brand of football, people will watch. Also, it's not like Kansas is a traditional football power. Yet UNLV vs Kansas was the no. 3 watch programing on all of TV in the key demographic on Friday night. The key is who carried the game.

— Top Ten Prime Time Telecasts in Adults 18-49:

1. Fox Friday CFB – Big-12 Prime Arizona at Kansas State (P) (Fox, 8:07 PM-11:01 PM, 174 min.) • 0.60/10 A18-49 rating/share (Range: 0.798-0.811 million adults 18-49; 0.40/7 F18-49, 0.80/12 M18-49)

2. WWE Smackdown (USA, 8:00 PM-10:05 PM, 125 min.) • 0.55 A18-49 rating (Range: 0.731-0.744 million adults 18-49; 0.30 F18-49, 0.79 M18-49)

3. College Football Prime UNLV at Kansas (ESPN, 7:00 PM-10:24 PM, 204 min.) • 0.36 A18-49 rating (Range: 0.476-0.489 million adults 18-49; 0.19 F18-49, 0.54 M18-49)

4. Fox CFB Friday-Kick (P) (Fox, 8:00 PM-8:07 PM, 7 min.) • 0.30/5 A18-49 rating/share (Range: 0.396-0.409 million adults 18-49; 0.24/4 F18-49, 0.35/6 M18-49)

5. Let’s Make A Deal Primetime (CBS, 8:00 PM-9:00 PM, 60 min.) • 0.25/4 A18-49 rating/share (Range: 0.329-0.342 million adults 18-49; 0.28/5 F18-49, 0.23/4 M18-49) 20/20 (ABC, 9:01 PM-11:00 PM, 119 min.) • 0.24/4 A18-49 rating/share (Range: 0.315-0.328 million adults 18-49; 0.32/5 F18-49, 0.16/2 M18-49)

6. SportsCenter Prime (ESPN, 10:24 PM-11:00 PM, 36 min.) • 0.18 A18-49 rating (Range: 0.235-0.248 million adults 18-49; 0.08 F18-49, 0.28 M18-49)

7. America’s Got Talent (Fri.) (R) (NBC, 8:00 PM-10:00 PM, 120 min.) • 0.18/3 A18-49 rating/share (Range: 0.235-0.248 million adults 18-49; 0.19/3 F18-49, 0.16/2 M18-49)

8. Lingo (CBS, 9:00 PM-10:00 PM, 60 min.) • 0.17/3 A18-49 rating/share (Range: 0.221-0.235 million adults 18-49; 0.17/3 F18-49, 0.17/2 M18-49)

9. The 76th Emmys: A Night of Firsts (S) (ABC, 8:00 PM-9:01 PM, 61 min.) • 0.17/3 A18-49 rating/share (Range: 0.221-0.235 million adults 18-49; 0.19/3 F18-49, 0.14/2 M18-49)

Read more: https://programminginsider.com/frid...own-retains-its-demos-on-move-to-usa-network/
Ratings are what they are.
Being on day Friday certainly helped and UNLV making some noise likely helped too nearly a half mill is really good actually.
Kansas has a large fan base and have a following. They were ranked preseason and were contenders for Big 12 champs coming in this year. They have dumped a lot into their football program and their fan base have responded
Kansas-lllinois had over 800k the week before during a busy primetime Saturday spot. I couldn't find what Kansas did week one, but Illinois drew 112k for their first game against
eastern Illinois. So dafe to say the Kansas fans probably ly drove the bus for that game. Also safe to say that they did for our game.

When is the last date we can leave before we owe $ 34 mil?
Just count any number less than 365. 365 as in the number of days. $34 mill is what we would owe if we gave less than 365 days notice. I've been saying less than one year but it doesn't seem to click with some so I'm changing it to days. Same thing though.

+366 days notice we only pay $17 million.

I don't disagree but MWC is no longer a option.

CUSA would really stink as a landing spot.

I stand by..

1-PAC
2-AAC (With or without Memphis)
3-CUSA

I didn't include the obvious #1 Big12 because I just can't see it happening. Maybe it happens I dont know. But it falls into 'I'll believe it when I'm sitting in Stillwater Oklahoma watching the Rebs and Cowboys kick off and not until then.'

😁
PAC yes.

Other than that, I think it is worth waiting.
The MW with capital is better than going to the CUSA. There is a chance some sort of merger arises which would be better than the CUSA alone. The remaining MW makes their conference better plus we have our share of the 40-50 buyout money.

Waiting could force a conference to pick us just for doing well. If we make real noise this season then at least there is potential we get eyeballs from the publicity. Similar to Liberty last year. Climbing the rankings will grab eyeballs and all of our games will be on national TV. I think the Syracuse game has potential for good ratings as well being in a Friday.

I see the cusa being equal to staying with the MW, possibly rebuilt, while giving up money no thanks.

AAC has potential to being a close to lateral move with more travel which effects out competitive advantage. Need to wait to see a few things play out before you join thr AAC.

PAC yes.

Other than that, I think it is worth waiting.
The MW with capital is better than going to the CUSA. There is a chance some sort of merger arises which would be better than the CUSA alone. The remaining MW makes their conference better plus we have our share of the 40-50 buyout money.

Waiting could force a conference to pick us just for doing well. If we make real noise this season then at least there is potential we get eyeballs from the publicity. Similar to Liberty last year. Climbing the rankings will grab eyeballs and all of our games will be on national TV. I think the Syracuse game has potential for good ratings as well being in a Friday.

I see the cusa being equal to staying with the MW, possibly rebuilt, while giving up money no thanks.

AAC has potential to being a close to lateral move with more travel which effects out competitive advantage. Need to wait to see a few things play out before you join thr AAC.

CUSA adds three FCS schools next year. Not sure joining that is a lateral move. At all.

Yeah that's been rumored.

Power move for basketball for sure but bring very little in terms of football.

It's funny.

It makes good sense and no sense at all in equal proportions.

🙂
But it's easy enough to balance out... they can balance out terrible football for a few years with good basketball and we can continue elevating our football with hopes basketball gets it together

CUSA adds three FCS schools next year. Not sure joining that is a lateral move. At all.
It looks like they are adding 2.
Staying with the MW would be able to take NMSU from them which is sadly one if their best teams. Possibly UTEP too. Add the 2 of the best FCS schools like NDSU and Montana, and that us better than the CUSA.
The capital from the buyouts makes the MW better than the CUSA just in terms of potential.
Still not where UNLV wants to be obviously. But better than just leaving the MW foe the CUSA with empty pockets.
Staying put temporarily leaves options.

It looks like they are adding 2.
Staying with the MW would be able to take NMSU from them which is sadly one if their best teams. Possibly UTEP too. Add the 2 of the best FCS schools like NDSU and Montana, and that us better than the CUSA.
The capital from the buyouts makes the MW better than the CUSA just in terms of potential.
Still not where UNLV wants to be obviously. But better than just leaving the MW foe the CUSA with empty pockets.
Staying put temporarily leaves options.

Fair but are you risking more shake up and suddenly spots disappear?

I don't know.

Question though... After the next domino falls and we remain silent... What do you think that means... Are we playing last man standing collect the money from everyone and choose what we want to do or are we playing for a seat at the high stakes table instead of video poker at PTs....
Or option 3 and most likely; UNLV ****ed up again was reactive and not proactive and screwed themselves again.

Ratings are what they are.
Being on day Friday certainly helped and UNLV making some noise likely helped too nearly a half mill is really good actually.
Kansas has a large fan base and have a following. They were ranked preseason and were contenders for Big 12 champs coming in this year. They have dumped a lot into their football program and their fan base have responded
Kansas-lllinois had over 800k the week before during a busy primetime Saturday spot. I couldn't find what Kansas did week one, but Illinois drew 112k for their first game against
eastern Illinois. So dafe to say the Kansas fans probably ly drove the bus for that game. Also safe to say that they did for our game.
You realize that KU is a basketball school and their win/loss record the the last 20 years is comparable to UNLV’s and the last 5 years their home attendance is just over 29k. The fan base is in basketball. The ratings are good because the game was on ESPN at prime time and that’s my point. If it were CBS Sports it wouldn’t register.

Or option 3 and most likely; UNLV ****ed up again was reactive and not proactive and screwed themselves again.
I doubt that's the case. Honestly we've had interviews where Harper discusses that they've been exploring alignment opportunities. While some of are anxiously and nervously thinking that the old UNLV is still out there waiting to screw us fans over, I think the new administration understands the landscape and is doing their due diligence to get us where we need to be. From facilities, to programs they're trying to elevate us. The conversations need to be tight lipped because the last thing you want is a leak about your discussions with say Big 12 blowing up because some sports desk guy disagrees with adding UNLV based on the box score (attendance, past performance, etc..)

I doubt that's the case. Honestly we've had interviews where Harper discusses that they've been exploring alignment opportunities. While some of are anxiously and nervously thinking that the old UNLV is still out there waiting to screw us fans over, I think the new administration understands the landscape and is doing their due diligence to get us where we need to be. From facilities, to programs they're trying to elevate us. The conversations need to be tight lipped because the last thing you want is a leak about your discussions with say Big 12 blowing up because some sports desk guy disagrees with adding UNLV based on the box score (attendance, past performance, etc..)
Totally agree! I think a lot of people on Rivals are looking at UNLV like they have been for the past 3-4 decades. UNLV is in the top 25 in football, and that would have never happened under any of the past regimes. I have no doubt UNLV will come out of this re-alignment in a good position. UNLV can top things off by continuing to win and pushing any way they can to get more people to games at Allegiant. The current 25 hours to purchase tickets for $25 is one way to get new fans to come to the game, rising through the ranks is another, and winning is the final piece to the puzzle!

A lot of truth to this. But there are Moore moving parts than just UNLV as well.

UNLV could be a prime target. I'm not suggesting Memphis is a better or worse target just that if they or somebody else enters the discussion, the desire to add UNLV could be impacted.

UNLV has had two basketball coaches hired or in talks with (Beard and Dixon) only to have their dream jobs open up and squash it. (Different scenarios I know just as a comparison that things can change in an instant)

I'm pretty confident UNLV ends up in a situation no worse than they are now and possibly better. I'm not sure others in the MWC can say the same thing.

When Pete Thamel or any other ESPN honk tweets unlv is considering a move to (conference that has media deal with ESPN) then it’s very likely if not almost a done deal.

Same could be said for any other reporter that works for Fox, CBS etc.

The reason I say that is because the third party in these deals is the most important, the media partner. So if the rumblings are coming from them, then it’s probably true.

This thing about UNLV to the AAC is most likely leverage. In a perfect world we get an invite to the Big12 on a conditional deal. We would be members with smaller share and voting power until we meet certain benchmarks.

Another scenario is UNLV goes to the PAC as the 10th member, after Tulane and Memphis are added. The 9th team would be a Texas team. Gonzaga and St. Mary’s join for twelve team basketball league. CW sports could have their own big Monday showcase.

Unlv has options. I remain adamant that the MWC is not sustainable for our program anymore.

When Pete Thamel or any other ESPN honk tweets unlv is considering a move to (conference that has media deal with ESPN) then it’s very likely if not almost a done deal.

Same could be said for any other reporter that works for Fox, CBS etc.

The reason I say that is because the third party in these deals is the most important, the media partner. So if the rumblings are coming from them, then it’s probably true.

This thing about UNLV to the AAC is most likely leverage. In a perfect world we get an invite to the Big12 on a conditional deal. We would be members with smaller share and voting power until we meet certain benchmarks.

Another scenario is UNLV goes to the PAC as the 10th member, after Tulane and Memphis are added. The 9th team would be a Texas team. Gonzaga and St. Mary’s join for twelve team basketball league. CW sports could have their own big Monday showcase.

Unlv has options. I remain adamant that the MWC is not sustainable for our program anymore.

Didn't somebody from PAC say football was a requirement? They weren't looking for basketball only? (I could be wrong thought I read that somewhere)

I keep seeing Rice mentioned along with UTSA as possible additions.

Totally agree the MWC is not sustainable.

I mean I guess if they get a quick influx of money from the exit fee/poaching thing they could try and attract some CUSA schools to stem the bleeding.

But potentially losing AFA feels like a nail in the coffin. Maybe not the final one but one or two before it.

I really feel like BIG12 is a pipe dream. UNLV would bring them to 17. Are they looking to expand? Do they want to go as high as 18? I mean I hope it happens and not ruling it out. Just don't know if there are any legs to it other than us fans hoping.

A 1/2 cut of current BIG12 media deal would still far exceed current MWC deal so I think you absolutely jump on it.

Attendance for basketball and football would go through the roof creating a massive influx of money.

Last edited:
Reactions: RRebel
what would you rather have UNLV choose: a full equal share in the PAC 12, or 1/2 the share in the BIG 12 until their media deal expires?

I’d obviously pick BIG 12 because I feel like the conference is far superior, especially basketball. But the person I was talking to said they’d rather join the pac 12. Their point was UNLV with a 1/2 share in the BIG 12 would put them at a big time spending disadvantage compared to the other teams and we wouldn’t be able to compete. On the surface it makes sense.

what would you rather have UNLV choose: a full equal share in the PAC 12, or 1/2 the share in the BIG 12 until their media deal expires?

I’d obviously pick BIG 12 because I feel like the conference is far superior, especially basketball. But the person I was talking to said they’d rather join the pac 12. Their point was UNLV with a 1/2 share in the BIG 12 would put them at a big time spending disadvantage compared to the other teams and we wouldn’t be able to compete. On the surface it makes sense.

It would likely be a contingency. First 3/5 years half share.

The flipside of that is attendance for both basketball and football would Sky rocket. You are still at a disadvantage in terms of media share that's true.

But.

I have to imagine having B12 attached to UNLV might get more boosters to step up. Might also encourage more entities to kick into NIL funds.

There is a real possibility that it ends up neither of those and instead the AAC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT