ADVERTISEMENT

Unlv & Air Force in contact w/AAC

Rosegreen1

Lottery Pick
Dec 2, 2023
• I was reminded by a former conference commissioner, however, that there’s a precedent to divide the schools. UNLV joined the WAC and left Nevada behind in the Big West in 1994. Also, the current governor of Nevada, Joe Lombardo, is a UNLV alum.

• If UNLV and Air Force don’t land in the Pac-12, I’ll bet the American Athletic Conference would take them both. I’m told there has already been contact between those sides.

Again... When you hear silence for the most part on what our plans are, you really have to think that its not either of those or remaining in the MWC... think BIG(12)-er...
To me, silence means Harper has the department locked down and is controlling leaks. I don't expect to hear what is exactly happening until there is an official announcement - or perhaps a couple of hours before. Negotiating in public is never good.

To me, silence means Harper has the department locked down and is controlling leaks. I don't expect to hear what is exactly happening until there is an official announcement - or perhaps a couple of hours before. Negotiating in public is never good.
That may be it. Not a lot was known with Odom, at least not until it was close to fully materializing.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
The rumor isn’t attached to Harper but at the same time he needs to create some leverage. Im pretty certain the PAC doesn’t want the AAC to be in their backyard/the west.

To me, having some reporters say unlv is on the phone with AAC serves two purposes. Leverage and gaming out a plan B.

Reactions: dcut03
That is great news. If it's our only option we jump on it ASAP.
AAC will take a financial hit from their previous media deal, which included UCF, Houston, and Cincinnati I believe.

Joining AAC (if it remains as it currently is) would be an upgrade in competition from the MWC as it will be in 2026. But is it worth it for us as fans?

It would mean no pacific time zone teams other than UNLV, and it would mean Air Force is the closest team to us, and is the only, where next is North Texas.

That hurts fans more than helps. The $$$ and viability of future is it. But it sucks.

AAC will take a financial hit from their previous media deal, which included UCF, Houston, and Cincinnati I believe.

Joining AAC (if it remains as it currently is) would be an upgrade in competition from the MWC as it will be in 2026. But is it worth it for us as fans?

It would mean no pacific time zone teams other than UNLV, and it would mean Air Force is the closest team to us, and is the only, where next is North Texas.

That hurts fans more than helps. The $$$ and viability of future is it. But it sucks.
The media deal runs until 2030, each school currently gets more than double what our media deal is currently. The next MWC tv deal will be similar to the CUSA at 750k a school. We can’t afford that.

By the way, with a move to the AAC, we are probably back on the Big Monday showcase.

I hear ya. It's why I said if it's our only option. I'm all for the PAC but they aren't all in for us.

The rumor isn’t attached to Harper but at the same time he needs to create some leverage. Im pretty certain the PAC doesn’t want the AAC to be in their backyard/the west.

To me, having some reporters say unlv is on the phone with AAC serves two purposes. Leverage and gaming out a plan B.
Except they dont really control any of that at this point. Theyre trying to create the perception that the Pac 12 is the same old brand with new teams and it deserves a Power conference designation but theyre missing the fact that there are very limited teams that they can choose from to maintain the "Pac brand" of the west and attempt to sell themselves as such.. I mean lets not fool ourselves that should they go after a AAC or CUSA level program that it makes them any more than MWC lite. Its what makes all this foolishness so stupid. They dont really have anything to improve their brand after those 6 except adding MWC schools and no one else has anyone that makes up for the loss of those 4 in name value that increase MWC brand value.

The media deal runs until 2030, each school currently gets more than double what our media deal is currently. The next MWC tv deal will be similar to the CUSA at 750k a school. We can’t afford that.

By the way, with a move to the AAC, we are probably back on the Big Monday showcase.
The legacy AAC schools get 7 mil, but the newer additions "get less". I can't find a report that says how much.
We would probably be in the latter category, at least initially. especially if they pay our exit fees.
If Memphis leave for the PAC, you know that they are at least getting more than 7 mil ( the PAC)

Didn't realize it was through 2030. Broadcast partners got hosed there by signing long term for teams who mostly all left 😂

All these machinations make my head hurt.

I feel like I'm watching Inception here!

Except they dont really control any of that at this point. Theyre trying to create the perception that the Pac 12 is the same old brand with new teams and it deserves a Power conference designation but theyre missing the fact that there are very limited teams that they can choose from to maintain the "Pac brand" of the west and attempt to sell themselves as such.. I mean lets not fool ourselves that should they go after a AAC or CUSA level program that it makes them any more than MWC lite. Its what makes all this foolishness so stupid. They dont really have anything to improve their brand after those 6 except adding MWC schools and no one else has anyone that makes up for the loss of those 4 in name value that increase MWC brand value.
They aren’t choosing, the network will be deciding because ultimately they are paying for a product. If the Pac2 can add schools and get 10-15 million a school in media revenue, it doesn’t matter what the perception is.

Being that most games are on Saturday gotta be honest I'm totally fine if UNLV is playing at 10am our time.

Traveling to away games would kinda suck, but let's be honest we don't travel particularly well as it is now.

6 road games with 10 am 1p or 4pm starts

And

6 homes games with PTZ starts.

Heck this year we have 2 noon home kick offs I believe.

I don't see it as a huge issue really.

Being that most games are on Saturday gotta be honest I'm totally fine if UNLV is playing at 10am our time.

Traveling to away games would kinda suck, but let's be honest we don't travel particularly well as it is now.

6 road games with 10 am 1p or 4pm starts

And

6 homes games with PTZ starts.

Heck this year we have 2 noon home kick offs I believe.

I don't see it as a huge issue really.
I guess I meant from a regional rivals standpoint. Like I genuinely don't care about any university in the American. Even a little bit. Not that I dislike them, I'm apathetic to them entirely.

You're definitely right though, early games sounds great!

I guess I meant from a regional rivals standpoint. Like I genuinely don't care about any university in the American. Even a little bit. Not that I dislike them, I'm apathetic to them entirely.

You're definitely right though, early games sounds great!

Dude I 100% agree but I stopped getting worked up about college football traditions.

So many rivalry games have vanished recently.

Dude I 100% agree but I stopped getting worked up about college football traditions.

So many rivalry games have vanished recently.
I always assumed it would never matter for UNLV because there was never movement that directly impact the Rebs. Utah and BYU, sure. But UNLV had only shared the conference for like 15 years with them (Mwc and a couple years in the WAC). I always thought UNLV would either continue in MWC with basically it's configuration unchanged from last year, or be in a conference that included a bunch of those teams. UNLV doesn't seem like it brings enough to anyone when it's not in the geographic footprint.

Regardless, it's not as though joining the AAC would negate my fandom. Still gonna hold season tickets as long as I live in Vegas. Gonna boo at teams they face on the road from my couch, same as now.

But I have a disdain for SDSU and Reno and even UNM that I'll never hold for American teams.

I always assumed it would never matter for UNLV because there was never movement that directly impact the Rebs. Utah and BYU, sure. But UNLV had only shared the conference for like 15 years with them (Mwc and a couple years in the WAC). I always thought UNLV would either continue in MWC with basically it's configuration unchanged from last year, or be in a conference that included a bunch of those teams. UNLV doesn't seem like it brings enough to anyone when it's not in the geographic footprint.

Regardless, it's not as though joining the AAC would negate my fandom. Still gonna hold season tickets as long as I live in Vegas. Gonna boo at teams they face on the road from my couch, same as now.

But I have a disdain for SDSU and Reno and even UNM that I'll never hold for American teams.

It does take a little juice out of it as a fan.

Hard for me to 'hate' a LaTech like I do Reno or SDSU.

Hawaii will be the only one left and received $200M from the MWC?

I'm not sure how it's going to fall out in terms of money.

I could honestly see Hawaii in either CUSA or possibly football only in the PAC.

Those are really there only options I think. They can't go FCS. Not sure the AAC wants them.

Not to. mention since they are football only not sure they would get anything.

Air Force the first one?

I don't know if it will be official announcements but get the feeling we will see a lot more 'Team X' and CUSA/AAC/PAC are in heavy discussions.

I get the feeling this could move pretty fast.

Absolutely no inside info. Just gut feeling after AFA rumblings today.

I would imagine we will here some of the new PAC invites. Not us.

Possible.

Memphis and Tulane are big pieces. If we start seeing lots of reports about talks with PAC and those two then $#!+ is going to start rolling down hill fast.

AAC will start head hunting to replace those two. They are at 14 now. AFA puts them at 15. Probably looking at 1 more if things stay the same. 3 more if Memphis and Tulane leave.

I don't know if it will be official announcements but get the feeling we will see a lot more 'Team X' and CUSA/AAC/PAC are in heavy discussions.

I get the feeling this could move pretty fast.

Absolutely no inside info. Just gut feeling after AFA rumblings today.
The AFA rumbling about going the AAC have been an ongoing thing for about a year or longer now. I have been reading about it.I am assuming it is getting louder? I really like the AFA fans.

Question though... After the next domino falls and we remain silent... What do you think that means... Are we playing last man standing collect the money from everyone and choose what we want to do or are we playing for a seat at the high stakes table instead of video poker at PTs....

Possible.

Memphis and Tulane are big pieces. If we start seeing lots of reports about talks with PAC and those two then $#!+ is going to start rolling down hill fast.

AAC will start head hunting to replace those two. They are at 14 now. AFA puts them at 15. Probably looking at 1 more if things stay the same. 3 more if Memphis and Tulane leave.
Memphis really wants a P4 opportunity. Unless the money is significant in the PAC why add all the extra travel expenses. Having them in the same conference is both good and bad. Good because they have a good football team and basketball is not so bad either. Bad because FedEX recently gave them $25 million dollars for NIL. They can buy the best players and makes it hard to compete with them.

Tulane. Do they speak English in that part of the country.

Question though... After the next domino falls and we remain silent... What do you think that means... Are we playing last man standing collect the money from everyone and choose what we want to do or are we playing for a seat at the high stakes table instead of video poker at PTs....

Really hard to say. It could depend on what domino (dominoes) that fall.

If Memphis Tulane are going PAC that opens up to more spots in AAC.

AAC is at 14 (15 with AFA)

Whatever happens I think it's sooner than later.

I could be 100% wrong in how I'm looking at it but I'm not sure you want to be last man standing here.
.Hey we got all this money and no conference to play in and nobody that wants to join us.

Assuming UNLV will received and accept the AAC invite. The travels will be multiplied. Allegiant will provide the charter flights. Who will provides the accommodations? MGM? A lot to work out.

Memphis really wants a P4 opportunity. Unless the money is significant in the PAC why add all the extra travel expenses. Having them in the same conference is both good and bad. Good because they have a good football team and basketball is not so bad either. Bad because FedEX recently gave them $25 million dollars for NIL. They can buy the best players and makes it hard to compete with them.

Tulane. Do they speak English in that part of the country.

If ACC loses a couple that's one spot.

BIG 12 already promoted a few G5 schools. Do they want to add more? Are they waiting on ACC fallout to poach some of that?

I don't know.

So many moving parts to it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT