ADVERTISEMENT

Trying to not overreact...

RPB83

Starter
Gold Member
Nov 8, 2014
But 52 points in the first half is something to be excited about right? Special teams looks completely different from the Hauck squads. We have a blocked punt, a blocked FG, and an INT already. We're running the ball with authority. Regardless of how bad the opponent is, when was the last time we put up 50 in a half? This is fun!

Feel good game. Nice to get a win and put up some ridiculous numbers along the way. But let's be real, this team was awful and it's back to reality next week.

Feel good game. Nice to get a win and put up some ridiculous numbers along the way. But let's be real, this team was awful and it's back to reality next week.
I think they bring the cannon back home. not going off this win more so their loses. This group has pride, the team got to rest a lot of player,. get valuable time for back-ups and not go to deep into play book to give Reno much to go on.

Boise State beat this same team last week and we ended up with 30points more....definitely a reason to be excited (I saw that stat on Twitter while still sober, not so much anymore, so I might be a little off)

scoring 80 no matter whom the opponent is amazing, and if I recall correctly, an MWC record. UNLV had lost 9 straight and was 0-3 this yr. More than just a feel good game IMO. I'm sure we all prefer the cannon Red, but I am not going to dismiss this win as just a feel good game, since these games never made me feel very good in the past.

IMO there is a lot to be excited about with this victory. Especially, when you look back at some of the recent loses to lower division teams by UNLV. As pointed out earlier, 80 points is no easy task. But let not over look the fact that the defense played well. Moreover, my take away this year so far is the fact that although UNLV lost 3 early, they didn't appear over matched physically and showed some toughness. At Michigan they didn't fold and get man handled at the Big House like BYU. They competed and remember just one year ago the Michigan head coach was the head coach of the SF 49ers and the UNLV head coach was a mere high school head coach. Got to give Sanchez credit. Win or lose his guys compete and that is the first step.

Reactions: RPB83
Went to the game, yes the opponent was not great, but had Sanchez not decided to go conservative they probably could've put up 100. Barely a single pass thrown in the second half and conceded to score points in the red zone late to avoid further embarrassment for ISU. Probably the classiest 80-8 victory you'll see if there is such a thing. Not very packed but a good atmosphere nonetheless. Let's support these guys, they play their hearts out for the full 60.

OMG I just got home from work and checked the score and said out loud "OY MY GOD !!!"

First Ohio State (the number #1 team in the country) barely beats Northern Illinois.....then Michigan blows out a ranked BYU team. BTW Michigan looks like they are better than people may have thought, losing to Utah on the road by a touchdown is looking like a pretty good feat after the Utes go in to Oregon and demolish the Ducks in their house, Utes should be ranked this next week. Then also UCLA whoops up on Arizona.... We have shown that our losses were not that bad and we hung with some very tough teams. Then to get our first win (of the Sanchez era) in this fashion is incredible. I don't think I can even ever remember a team scoring 80 points. Remarkable !!!

We are much improved. Sanchez is the real MutherF**ken deal ya'll !!!

Reactions: rebelx
80 points is 80 points....TCU and Baylor and other top teams play teams just as bad and don't get 80. It's an accomplishment no matter how you slice it. Heck, we looked better against Michigan than BYU did! The team is absolutely headed in the right direction. Where you really see it is on special teams and D.

The serious takeaway I have is that the three losses didn't faze the team. They bounced back. Few of our teams have. They can believe now.

Seeing these kids in this photo is priceless. So happy for these Rebels.

5607b66eeba62.image.jpg

It was palpable at the game. I sit visitor side low and the few fans they had there had nothing, crushed so early. It's been a long time coming for one of these here! The defense is the biggest difference to me this year. Solid fundamentally and the line plays hard. Had a chance to make several more INT's last night. I guess Sanchez was known to run up scores at BG too, not sure the reason but who cares, it was a blast to watch. Can't wait to see if we can get the cannon back. This team will even play Boise St. tough I think.

OMG I just got home from work and checked the score and said out loud "OY MY GOD !!!"

First Ohio State (the number #1 team in the country) barely beats Northern Illinois.....then Michigan blows out a ranked BYU team. BTW Michigan looks like they are better than people may have thought, losing to Utah on the road by a touchdown is looking like a pretty good feat after the Utes go in to Oregon and demolish the Ducks in their house, Utes should be ranked this next week. Then also UCLA whoops up on Arizona.... We have shown that our losses were not that bad and we hung with some very tough teams. Then to get our first win (of the Sanchez era) in this fashion is incredible. I don't think I can even ever remember a team scoring 80 points. Remarkable !!!

We are much improved. Sanchez is the real MutherF**ken deal ya'll !!!
Utes have been ranked since the beginning of the season.

Go look at the conference standings for the MW. Aside from BSU, we have a shot to make some noise!
With our defense improvements from week to week, I dont even think BSU should think it's a W for them anymore. If they think that way, Boise will lose that game in Vegas.

I don't want it to sound like I'm not happy about the win. I am ecstatic for the kids and Sanchez, i really am. And the way they did it was the most fun I've ever had watching Rebel football since 2000. I even jokingly told my dad we could put up 80 on Idaho State after the end of the first quarter. That being said, thrashing the worst football team I've ever seen isn't the season highlight that i want for this program. I want that cannon and i want to see wins versus MWC opponents. I still think we're at best a couple seasons away from that, but that's when I'll be impressed with UNLV football.

I agree, 90.

The team we played was bad and everything went our way.

What I've seen in effort and improvement is why I'm as optimistic as the next fan. We don't sulk when we get down and we have played complete games regardless of if we were ahead or behind. We are playing more as a unit on both sides of the ball and special teams versus prior seasons.

I hope I don't step on any toes, or piss everyone off. Just thought this was a GREAT time and an AWESOME topic to pull the groups together, and generate some really good conversation. Not to mention, why wouldn't this be in the public football board. There are a shit load of solid posters on the football side of things.

:smiley:

90, some over sea books only give UNLV a -3.5. The bookies probably still think Hauck is still the coach, I dunno? The Rebs try their darnest or damnest not to score anymore in the second half without telling the kids not to play anymore....

That UNLV's Defense is for real. That is some nasty defense. Coach Sanchez and Baer have done some wonder. Wow, wow, wow....

I heard the lines were coming in at -10.5 and -13.5 (one was the Westgate and I forget where the other one was.. I also don't remember which was which). Seems like the betters either moved this line significantly or it was supposed to be -13.5 and it came down some.

I heard the lines were coming in at -10.5 and -13.5 (one was the Westgate and I forget where the other one was.. I also don't remember which was which). Seems like the betters either moved this line significantly or it was supposed to be -13.5 and it came down some.
oVER seas line was at -3.5 for UNLV. Frankly, I thought it was correct because of the "know how". Winning is contagious and if you have never been winning before, it is hard to fathom how to win. 80-8 margins is a good introduction.

oVER seas line was at -3.5 for UNLV. Frankly, I thought it was correct because of the "know how". Winning is contagious and if you have never been winning before, it is hard to fathom how to win. 80-8 margins is a good introduction.
I tend to think that people are overreacting a little bit, but they should be enjoying being on the right side of a blowout (that should have happened). UNLV has played a feast or famine schedule. Looked decent to questionable to good against the best teams on the slate and looked really good against a horrible team. I think what has me happiest is effort and that Sabchez and Co have these guys focused and believing. But to think UNLV is going to win 6 games - to me that's a stretch. Gotta see how they do against similar type teams, which starts next week. I think we'll know this team's truer capabilities after the next couple weeks.

Reactions: RebelinWA
VERY happy for the team on the W and more importantly the fight they have - leading or behind. They are representing as True Rebels.

Focused on the biggest game of the season right now.... Get it!!

It seems to be glossed over, but we have had a complete upgrade in coaching staff(offensive/defensive coordinators) that have many o'years of experience.

I tend to think that people are overreacting a little bit, but they should be enjoying being on the right side of a blowout (that should have happened). UNLV has played a feast or famine schedule. Looked decent to questionable to good against the best teams on the slate and looked really good against a horrible team. I think what has me happiest is effort and that Sabchez and Co have these guys focused and believing. But to think UNLV is going to win 6 games - to me that's a stretch. Gotta see how they do against similar type teams, which starts next week. I think we'll know this team's truer capabilities after the next couple weeks.
I agree with this, don't see 6 wins. Still thinking 4, 5 if things really go their way. I'm just happy with the progress. If we could only get similar progress with our pathetic attendance. Really, in a city that size they can't get 15K to a game?? Sad.

2 Points. First, on attendance. I thought UNLV did a really good job trying to get people to this game. The extra free tickets to season ticket holders was nice, and it resulted in a decent chunk of UNLV fans on the visitor side (which would have been a ghost town without the freebies, IMO). While I wish that more would have come, and especially students, I will give a SLIGHT pass since it was a 1-AA team and we were 0-3. Let's say we beat Reno on Saturday, though. It will be extremely disheartening if there aren't 25k or so at the stadium for SJSU. Don't give me the "Vegas wants a winner" crap if SBS doesn't have a good crowd after 2 wins in the first 2 winnable games of the season.

Secondly, on overreacting and @j. spilotro's points. The key for this season, to me, is that this team is consistently outperforming expectations. Without exception, every game we have come out looking better than people thought. Another poster said a week or so ago that our scores vs. the spreads is telling. It's true. We are 3-1 ATS. And that 1 loss has a HUGE asterisk by it since it was the UCLA game, where Decker's injury totally derailed our chances. And even without Decker, that was a 10-0 game going into halftime.

If you are basing your optimism on this game alone, maybe you can say that it is an overreaction. But if you look at the entire season, there is no reason that fans should hold their optimism for this team. 7 of the 8 remaining games are unquestionably winnable, with the only holdout against BSU, which I believe we will keep closer than everyone expected/expects. I see no reason to think that we will stop exceeding expectations and that we can make a push to be knocking on the door to bowl eligibility.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT