ADVERTISEMENT

Tickets for SJ State game

I don't have a load of disposable income. I buy the cheapest seat available at UNLV tickets. If they lower the price I want a refund. This isn't a joke post. I'm very serious about my $$.

Especially given the current climate of $7 per banana and 20 dollars per gallon, I think most normal everyday people feel the same crunch.
That's my point exactly. A lot of people are in a crunch, and even if you are a UNLV alum and a big sports fan, there are still limitations. Personally, I'm not spending $100/ticket for a big group. If it were just me, maybe, but still probably not. And I watch every game that I can on TV if/when I don't attend them.

Reactions: reagan21
are you talking about season ticket holders? Or people that bought individual game tickets early? From what I can tell, those same seats that are going for 87/ticket went for about 40-60/ticket for people that bought season tickets. I get it that you should get a discount for buying the whole year, but at this point, they should do something to try to get as many people as possible to the game.

Like others have said, open up some of the upper section and start tickets at $10-20 per seat. Do what you have to do to get people in the seats.

Also, how about giving an incentive for people that buy directly through UNLV, instead of the secondary markets. If an extra 5000 people buy tickets but just get them on the secondary market from people that already paid for those tickets, that doesn't really help UNLV in any way, right?
You can save a few bucks on some of the secondary tickets, but in most cases the number of seats and location are fairly limited and not in most cases available for larger groups. I would love them to open the upper section and would have no issue with lower pricing for the upper section. I find it unlikely at this point that they will sell enough tickets in the lower section (It may sell out, but I am sure it would be cost prohibitive to open the next section for only a couple of thousand seats to be sold) to justify opening an upper section, but you never know!

Reactions: LVRebel2000
You can save a few bucks on some of the secondary tickets, but in most cases the number of seats and location are fairly limited and not in most cases available for larger groups. I would love them to open the upper section and would have no issue with lower pricing for the upper section. I find it unlikely at this point that they will sell enough tickets in the lower section (It may sell out, but I am sure it would be cost prohibitive to open the next section for only a couple of thousand seats to be sold) to justify opening an upper section, but you never know!
For the sake of argument, let's say they decided to open up the upper section. What sort of costs are associated with that? You'd have some additional ushers and security, but on top of that, what else? You'd probably want to open up at least some of the concessions in those area, but you wouldn't have to open up all of them. So if you needed any extra 200 employees for the game, what do they pay them? Maybe $100 for the game? So you're looking at 20k. If you were somehow able to get another 5-10k people by offering tickets for $10-20 a seat, you could make much more than you're putting into it. Seems like an easy decision, unless I'm way off on my numbers.

There seems to be an assumption that UNLV controls whether it wants to open the upper level at Allegiant. Is that correct? I’m not sure but given the control the Raiders have on the stadium I’d venture to guess that it is not a unilateral UNLV decision.

There seems to be an assumption that UNLV controls whether it wants to open the upper level at Allegiant. Is that correct? I’m not sure but given the control the Raiders have on the stadium I’d venture to guess that it is not a unilateral UNLV decision.
I assume its a staffing issue as well. If they’re opening the upper bowl, that’s a lot of staff for concessions.

They should take the hit for the MWC game and open up at least the middle sections of the upper bowl.

I assume its a staffing issue as well. If they’re opening the upper bowl, that’s a lot of staff for concessions.

They should take the hit for the MWC game and open up at least the middle sections of the upper bowl.
I suspect it’s a numbers game. To open the upper bowl you need to cover $xxxxx in costs and can only drop ticket prices by $xx amount without upsetting folks who already purchased tickets so the question becomes at what point do the lines cross where you can have a fair chance of UNLV not having a loss in revenue be too damaging overall. Sufficient demand will have to be there before making that call bc you’d have to staff up the upper levels with some assurance that folks will buy the tickets. Not as easy as we make it seem especially for an athletics budget that has been in the red overall. Let’s give Harp and his team the benefit of the doubt here. I’m sure they want to see the stadium packed more than we do, but we’re not saddled with any lost revenue while he absolutely has to absorb it.

On Vivid seats, you can get tickets to the:

#14 Oklahoma vs TCU game this weekend for as low as $33 (quite a few available)
Miss St. vs #13 Ole Miss for as low as $23
#24 Tulane vs UTSA for as low as $4 (yes, $4 is correct)
Arkansas vs #9 Missouri for as low as $14
Michigan St vs #12 Penn St for as low as $22
#15 LSU vs Texas A&M for as low as $33

Essentially, lots of Big 10, Big 12, and SEC games for cheaper than tickets to UNLV games.

Essentially, lots of Big 10, Big 12, and SEC games for cheaper than tickets to UNLV games.
This should never be the case.

But...

That's what happens when you have relatively low season ticket sales. I would imagine that the vast majority of those tickets are season ticket holders reselling their tickets. I'm sure individual game ticket sales from the school are significantly higher.

Season tickets for UNLV are likely much cheaper than most of those schools I would imagine.

All of that being said, it would be cool if UNLV would do a week of discount for some of these games, get butts in the seats, then sell the crap out of season tickets once they get there.

Maybe they can pull some time share tactics by offering cheap tickets for a mandatory 10 min meeting about season tickets next year!

• Haha

But...

That's what happens when you have relatively low season ticket sales. I would imagine that the vast majority of those tickets are season ticket holders reselling their tickets. I'm sure individual game ticket sales from the school are significantly higher.

Season tickets for UNLV are likely much cheaper than most of those schools I would imagine.

All of that being said, it would be cool if UNLV would do a week of discount for some of these games, get butts in the seats, then sell the crap out of season tickets once they get there.

Maybe they can pull some time share tactics by offering cheap tickets for a mandatory 10 min meeting about season tickets next year!
Lol, I love the timeshare idea. Classic. I'm sure you're right about most of those tickets being season ticket holders, but still, we don't have the winning history or attendance to be charging similar prices to SEC/Big 12 etc schools. You can buy general admission tickets to the UNR games for $10. UNM for $15. Even Boise St games maxed out at $75 on the school website tickets page.

It's a chicken vs. egg sort of thing. Do you charge more and have fewer fans at games? Or charge less and hope to get more?

But...

Thats my argument.. Lets say they get 20k more in the doors. UNLV wins the conference title outright at home in front of 35-40K... Those 20k then get emails from UNLV tickets asking them to buy 2024 season tickets at what like 200$ a pop... You get 25% of that and now youre at 25K season ticket holders starting into 2024 without any additional offseason hype? yeah, its a big opportunity

In these games the aftermarket ticket prices are driven down by fans who are disgusted with their team or for some other reason don't want to go. ( can't make a Fri. game?) In most of these games there is flagging interest by one or both sides. Guaranteed if UNLV was 2-8 you could get an aftermarket ticket for $5 plus service fees. It's a seller/buyer market with VIVID taking a service fee. In most of these games there is flagging interest by one or both sides. The price from the school itself is higher. Take LSU. They have single game tickets available and the prices range from $ 75 to $200. Mississippi State. $ 50-150.

It works in reverse with a high interest game. The Ohio State/Michigan game has the highest (as of now) after Market price at $ 440.

Lol, I love the timeshare idea. Classic. I'm sure you're right about most of those tickets being season ticket holders, but still, we don't have the winning history or attendance to be charging similar prices to SEC/Big 12 etc schools. You can buy general admission tickets to the UNR games for $10. UNM for $15. Even Boise St games maxed out at $75 on the school website tickets page.

It's a chicken vs. egg sort of thing. Do you charge more and have fewer fans at games? Or charge less and hope to get more?
The other part of that is that i doubt most of those tickets you sited are not prime lower bowl level seats.

I think they should open up the end zone section next to the torch. Easy to section off, has a bar right there and make them take the stairs for other concessions. Would not require a ton more staff to man that. They basically did that for the happy hour last home game.

Looks like A LOT of tickets are still available. I don’t think we’ll come anywhere close to hitting 30k there unless there’s a huge push. Biggest game in the programs history and it would be nice if there was a decent crowd. I do think the prices are a little high if you’re trying to get new people and families out there.

Also have to remember that SJSU has little (almost none) fan support. This won’t be like the Hawaii or Wyoming games earlier this year where attendance is bumped up by thousands of tickets sold to visiting fans. It’s nice that we’ll have a true home field advantage on Saturday but as of now it’s looking like that whole side of the stadium will be pretty empty.

The other side of the coin to this is that its also a holiday weekend. Id love for people to come with family, but you might also see a drop because of it despite the fact that it holds historic implications for our program. Its too bad that the UNR game got moved away from the final regular season game as that probably wouldve helped. SJSU just doesnt bring a name punch despite how big the game is for us.

For the sake of argument, let's say they decided to open up the upper section. What sort of costs are associated with that? You'd have some additional ushers and security, but on top of that, what else? You'd probably want to open up at least some of the concessions in those area, but you wouldn't have to open up all of them. So if you needed any extra 200 employees for the game, what do they pay them? Maybe $100 for the game? So you're looking at 20k. If you were somehow able to get another 5-10k people by offering tickets for $10-20 a seat, you could make much more than you're putting into it. Seems like an easy decision, unless I'm way off on my numbers.
I have no clue how much it cost to open another section, but they still need to sell a couple of thousand lower seats before even considering the opening of the upper section. A better option may be to put in the seats on the student section that have been left out all season for UNLV. My guess is that would be around 2K more seats and put the seating somewhere around 28K-30K total in the bottom section.

Reactions: dcut03
I have no clue how much it cost to open another section, but they still need to sell a couple of thousand lower seats before even considering the opening of the upper section. A better option may be to put in the seats on the student section that have been left out all season for UNLV. My guess is that would be around 2K more seats and put the seating somewhere around 28K-30K total in the bottom section.
But if you're not willing to drop prices for the lower bowl, then you could leave those as is and open the upper bowl at better prices. Or offer some sort of incentive to help fill the lower bowl at better prices. Maybe throw in some mens baskeball tickets with a purchase of football tix.

Reactions: dcut03
But if you're not willing to drop prices for the lower bowl, then you could leave those as is and open the upper bowl at better prices. Or offer some sort of incentive to help fill the lower bowl at better prices. Maybe throw in some mens baskeball tickets with a purchase of football tix.
If they really wanted to increase ticket sales for next season, they may consider a food offer like they do for basketball. Next season is a whole new ball game which will give UNLV the chance to push for the magic 30K plus number by changing things around. Considering the job the AD has done so far, I expect they will look for ways to improve attendance from day 1!

It’s for sure a lot more than $100 per employee. If the game is at say 4pm, employees typically arrive at say 8am. They are then there till like an hour after game time. So let’s assume 8pm. 12 hours of pay, at like 15-17 for concession stand workers (lower pay since they also get tips). Your talking $180-210 a person. Your costs just doubles from your rough estimate on expenses. Most of the major events also outsource a majority of the employees to other companies.

It’s for sure a lot more than $100 per employee. If the game is at say 4pm, employees typically arrive at say 8am. They are then there till like an hour after game time. So let’s assume 8pm. 12 hours of pay, at like 15-17 for concession stand workers (lower pay since they also get tips). Your talking $180-210 a person. Your costs just doubles from your rough estimate on expenses. Most of the major events also outsource a majority of the employees to other companies.
Seems crazy that workers would be there for 12 hours. I don't know what time they open the gates though, so maybe that's right.

Do you charge more and have fewer fans at games? Or charge less and hope to get more?
Easy answer, whatever makes you more money in the short run. Most people know they won’t be at a job more than 5 years. Most business ventures, which athletics is, don’t care about the long run. Building loyalty through lower priced tickets loses a lot of money in the short run. It would be better for UNLV to get 18k at $100 than. 30k at $40.

I could tell you the differences between how BYU and Utah have approached ticket pricing since I have really good knowledge of how they are run. BYU buil loyalty over decades. Now they can charge thousands of dollars to be a member of the cougar club which then gives you the possibility of owning football tickets…but maybe not. And the seats might suck.

Utah sucked for 20+ years and changed their alumni a lot of money to the games. They only had 50% capacity but the they were making tons of money.

Both systems work, but once you build loyalty you better win and win big. There’s a HUGE revolt with BYU fans now that their future looks dark. People are pulling their money from the football program. People that matter.

In short, building loyalty is a short run loss with hope of a huge gain. Shooting for profits now is the more travelled route.

It would be nice for UNLV to drop its prices now to build loyalty but a University hurting for money is really not in that position.

You would think that, but years and years of economic analytics says otherwise.
Having a tough time finding that analysis. Could you cite a study that proves people will pay higher prices if they know lower prices will be coming?

Easy answer, whatever makes you more money in the short run. Most people know they won’t be at a job more than 5 years. Most business ventures, which athletics is, don’t care about the long run. Building loyalty through lower priced tickets loses a lot of money in the short run. It would be better for UNLV to get 18k at $100 than. 30k at $40.

I could tell you the differences between how BYU and Utah have approached ticket pricing since I have really good knowledge of how they are run. BYU buil loyalty over decades. Now they can charge thousands of dollars to be a member of the cougar club which then gives you the possibility of owning football tickets…but maybe not. And the seats might suck.

Utah sucked for 20+ years and changed their alumni a lot of money to the games. They only had 50% capacity but the they were making tons of money.

Both systems work, but once you build loyalty you better win and win big. There’s a HUGE revolt with BYU fans now that their future looks dark. People are pulling their money from the football program. People that matter.

In short, building loyalty is a short run loss with hope of a huge gain. Shooting for profits now is the more travelled route.

It would be nice for UNLV to drop its prices now to build loyalty but a University hurting for money is really not in that position.
Sounds similar to UNLV basketball. They were really good back in the day and packed the T&M. They just kept asking for the same prices, or increased prices, despite the fact that the product kept getting worse. After a while, people will not continue to pay for a product that's not good. Especially if you're trying to sell it for a premium price

Just curious, would concessions really be a loss? Maybe, prices are high, but I would think that opening a new section and some concessions would be a net gain. A huge mark up will easily pay for concession staff if not the additional staff for the area of the arena.

I remember looking at analytics 8-10 years ago that had the average UNLV football attendee spending 30-50 dollars per game.

I don't know, it feels like opening some more seats would be a net gain overall, if you can get it filled enough.

Having a tough time finding that analysis. Could you cite a study that proves people will pay higher prices if they know lower prices will be coming?
I’ve worked for two college athletic departments in economic analytics. I have a bachelors and masters in economics. There are always sales or discounted tickets and it does nothing to hurt future season or singlw game ticket dales.

I work security and we get about $130 a game unless we get over time pay added on.

I wonder where and why they were holding back what appear to be several thousand tickets that have been added back into the ticket stock in sections 128-144? I can't believe those were all held out for the possibility SJSU would buy them? It is almost like they wanted it to look like ticket sales had been doing much better than reality? I hope ticket sales pick up or they will be lucky to even match the Wyoming and Hawaii game totals.

I wonder where and why they were holding back what appear to be several thousand tickets that have been added back into the ticket stock in sections 128-144? I can't believe those were all held out for the possibility SJSU would buy them? It is almost like they wanted it to look like ticket sales had been doing much better than reality? I hope ticket sales pick up or they will be lucky to even match the Wyoming and Hawaii game totals.
Yeah I was pretty surprised to see there were entire sections with basically nothing sold. Hopefully most of the end zone fills up with the $36 and $43 dollar tickets available. I really don’t think the visitors side will be able sell a ton of what’s left. I don’t know if there’s a market of people willing to pay $62-$87 per ticket for UNLV v SJSU.

I did get a call this morning from UNLV. They said they had noticed I had purchased tickets for the Wyoming game (I purchased additional tickets for family members), and asked if I was going to go to the SJSU game and needed tickets. I told them I already had tickets and thanked them.

This does tell me that they are putting out an additional effort to get people to the game. I hope this helps out to boost the attendance.

I did get a call this morning from UNLV. They said they had noticed I had purchased tickets for the Wyoming game (I purchased additional tickets for family members), and asked if I was going to go to the SJSU game and needed tickets. I told them I already had tickets and thanked them.

This does tell me that they are putting out an additional effort to get people to the game. I hope this helps out to boost the attendance.
I got an additional 4 for $20 each. I got a call to see if I wanted more this afternoon.

Big push to get people to the games.

Just grabbed my tickets for a group of us for Saturday. Endedbup with the seats from unlvtickets, but they didn't have any parking passes available. Picked up the parking pass on stubhub. Those fees are ridiculous

• Angry
Reactions: reagan21
Yeah I was pretty surprised to see there were entire sections with basically nothing sold. Hopefully most of the end zone fills up with the $36 and $43 dollar tickets available. I really don’t think the visitors side will be able sell a ton of what’s left. I don’t know if there’s a market of people willing to pay $62-$87 per ticket for UNLV v SJSU.
I figured out what happened when I noticed the secondary market like stubhub, vividseats, ticketmaster, seatgeek, etc. all went from having a lot of tickets available to only a few. UNLV must have been offereing the seats through the secondary market to help with sales, and when they started to run low on tickets they took back the majority of them for direct sales to customers.

I’m going tomorrow to the Mack and getting a ticket for a friend. I’m trying to get people to go to the game.

Reactions: 220reb
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT