ADVERTISEMENT

This Week

BornRebelRed

UNLV Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Oct 15, 2007
Hopefully a couple things happen.

First is that Menzies and the Running Rebels win both games this week to ensure that the athletic program is put back in the black with attendance surging past 12,000 per game. Really think this is gonna happen.

Second and more importantly in the long run is changes that need to be made in the football program. Football needs to step up if we are ever gonna make it to the big time (power 5). You just have to throw loyalty out the window and bring in some guys that can get the job done. Gotta look real hard at both of the coordinators and then the rest of the assistants.

O-Line did a good job this year for the most part but is that coach tied to the hip of the OC? RB coach is doing okay and I thought our DB's and WR's were getting better as the year went along. Cormier has been the one consistently good performer out of all of our coaches. He brings in the RB's & WR's. Better take care of him, give him more cash and responsibility or somebody will snatch him away.

I hate to say this cause I know it's taboo to talk about but we really need a QB that can do the things a QB is supposed to do. At this point it isn't Armani Rogers. Do we need a new QB coach?

I see some parallels between Sanchez and Rice. Rice was brought in as head coach on the condition that he bring in seasoned veteran coaches to help him be a head coach. I think that hurt his chances of succeeding. Did they do the same thing with Sanchez? Was he forced to bring in guys that had lots of bigger experiences to help him out. If that is so he really needs to break out of that paradigm and take full control of the program. Go big or go home.

The biggest difference between Rice and Sanchez is that I think the players really like and respect Sanchez unlike Rice who had zero credibility and respect from his team.

Reactions: Pistol Pete 1
If the coordinators are going to change, then you have to extend Sanchez' contract as well. Otherwise, how are you going to get anyone that is an improvement with a coach that might not have much time left?

Here's the thing. We are all frustrated and dejected. We have lost 11 of the last 13 games to RENO. But I read awhile back that Sanchez' vision is that he wants to win games like Alabama does, meaning by being stout on the lines and running the ball. To really do that here, you have to get upgrades through several recruiting classes.

I for one have always thought UNLV needs to run something gimmicky to win consistently. Kind of like how Ault developed the Pistol at UNR. He knew that was their chance. Now, if Sanchez can pull off his vision, it is much more sustainable than gimmicky offenses. He needs time to do that.

I also thought we were a MUCH better team with Stanton at QB this year. Rogers was a freshman and will only get better, but I do not feel like he was setup to succeed in this offense all that much and his deep accuracy was a real problem.

This program has much more life in it than at any time in the last 30 years. But the process is going to have fits and starts and lets face it: it's already miserable enough being a UNLV fan so lets give him 3 or 4 more years to see if we can get something rolling here.

Maybe they should consider Cormier as the coordinator for the offense.
I visit this site, but don't post very often. The QB of the future was 3-6 this year, if he stays healthy next year we should be 4-8. Long time Rebel Fan, was in reno for the game, and its frustrating that the Head Coach can't evaluate talent enough to the point of not playing our best QB at all for the reno game. Our best win all season was at Fresno. Follow that up with a win against Hawaii, and then a seat on the bench after a loss to BYU. Stanton wasn't given the same opportunity that Rogers was.
Without that 2 game winning streak, UNLV would be looking for a new Head Football Coach. So basically Stanton saves Sanchez job and is benched for the last 2 games. That's after going through ACL surgery last year. This shouldn't be a one way street. Stanton deserved better, the football team deserved better, and so does all the UNLV Football fans.
Tony its time for you to take a good long look at yourself and make some changes. The first one would be to hire Stanton as your QB Coach. That kid is a winner who showed leadership, and you showed him how stubborn you are. No blank checks for Rogers next year if he doesn't produce don't play him.

Reactions: willlevi
Giving up on Armani now is just ridiculous. Sure he has a lot to learn, but so does every first year QB, let alone a RS freshman.

Stanton stays in the pocket better, he is more patient, he can buy time to make a play with the pass, he can make his reads better.

He is also a Senior. He didn't look half this good in his few starts last season.

Armani has a cannon of an arm, he has the capability of threading the needle in tight spaces, he is an instinctive runner, his presence make the entire running game 10x better.

He will improve. He is still the future, and that is a GOOD thing.

I don't think the point was to give up on Armani, the point was that for the last few games maybe Stanton should have stayed in at QB. This would have most likely won the game verse unr. Armani has 3 more years, and qualifying for a bowl game, and not losing to unr, would have done a lot for the future of UNLV football both in recruiting and attendance.

Reactions: UNLVgirl
The problem with the quarterback of rhe future ideology is that no player is guaranteed to remain enrolled, remain healthy or improve upon previous play. As a program like UNLV, you have to play to win only.
One knee or shoulder injury this off-season to Rogers, 2018 becomes the year of the first year quarterback.
Nick Sherry, Rocky Hinds, Mike Clausen, Shane Steinchen, Celeb Herring, etc

Second and more importantly in the long run is changes that need to be made in the football program. ...

You just have to throw loyalty out the window and bring in some guys that can get the job done. Gotta look real hard at both of the coordinators and then the rest of the assistants....

Cormier has been the one consistently good performer out of all of our coaches. He brings in the RB's & WR's. Better take care of him, give him more cash and responsibility or somebody will snatch him away....

I see some parallels between Sanchez and Rice. Rice was brought in as head coach on the condition that he bring in seasoned veteran coaches to help him be a head coach. I think that hurt his chances of succeeding. Did they do the same thing with Sanchez? Was he forced to bring in guys that had lots of bigger experiences to help him out.

I agree on Cormier and I've stated elsewhere that if changes are made for OC and DC the Rebels will need to hire from within, and from what I can see Cormier and D-Line coach Tony Samuel are the two most logical candidates. Cormier has done so much for the program under both Hauck and Sanchez that we can't afford to lose him.

Cotton and Baer are owed some loyalty. If one or both leave it should be done very respectfully as if it is their choice to "retire".

This is a really bad winter to be replacing coaches. In January a rule change takes affect expanding coaching staffs by one additional position - which means 60 P5 teams raiding G5 staffs, and 70 G5 teams also needing to fill one additional position. For UNLV the added spot is an opportunity to move the QB coach Sanchez brought with him from Gorman to another position, and make the new hire be a QB mentor (no, not Stanton.... but Randal Cunningham and Caleb Herring are both available... please just not Tony Sanchez's brother).

I don't see the similarities between Sanchez and Rice as far as hiring veteran assistants. Max Good was brought in after things were already falling apart. Rice hired an all-star set of recruiters (Simon, Miller, Schroyer, Hutson) that recruited high level talent but like the players, the coaches never seemed to combine for the right mix of skills.

He is a rising star that should get more responsibility both because of what he has done and due to his loyalty to UNLV.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT