ADVERTISEMENT

The Wonder of Waco (HeroSports Piece)

LocoRebel

Retired Number
Apr 7, 2011
http://herosports.com/college-football/wonder-of-waco-college-football-history-baylor-unlv-aiai

The 'Kick Six', #4 Auburn's 109-yard return of a missed field goal to knock off #1 Alabama in the 2013 Iron Bowl, is often regarded as the most shocking, insane, and wildly entertaining end to a college football game in the history of the sport.

It had all the right ingredients to earn such a title: It was a nationally televised contest featuring the sport's most heated rivals with massive national title implications. Mix in a final play almost too unbelievable to comprehend, and Auburn's 34-28 win over the Crimson Tide will always make the list of the most amazing college football endings ever.

But did you know there is a final play in 1999 between Baylor and UNLV that is more ludicrous and unfathomable than 2013's Kick Six?

THE SETUP
It was the second game ever for UNLV head coach and former USC and Los Angeles Rams legend John Robinson. The Rebels had knocked off North Texas 26-3 the week before to end a 16-game losing streak.

Baylor head coach Kevin Stelle was attempting to turn around a program of his own. The Bears were coming off back-to-back 2-9 seasons and had lost the week before to Boston College on a missed PAT in overtime.

A contest clearly off the national radar, no national or local networks broadcast the game on television.

The Bears had the ball on UNLV's 8-yard line with 28 seconds to play and a 24-21 lead. All quarterback Jarmaine Alfred needed to do was take a knee to secure the home victory.

But coach Stelle, determined to instill a more cut-throat mentality in his squad, ordered a run play as time as about to expire.

THE PLAY
Alfred handed the ball off to tailback Darrell Bush. Charging between the tackles, the running back looked to score a garbage touchdown to run up the score. Hit initially at the 3-yard line, Bush continued to churn his legs instead of going down and preserving the victory.

As Bush stretched the football to the goal line, UNLV linebacker Tyler Brickell knocked it loose. Future Buffalo Bills cornerback Kevin Thomas scooped it up, and a shocked-silenced crowd in Waco watched helplessly as Thomas raced down the left sideline 100 yards for a stunning UNLV victory.

It's difficult to track down video of the play, and this is the only known footage that exist to this day, but scroll to the 4:23 mark to see what's become known as The Wonder of Waco.

THE AFTERMATH: IN THEIR OWN WORDS
Tyler Brickell: "You always practice doing those kind of strips. The opportunity presented itself and I went for it.”

Kevin Thomas: “As soon as I picked up the ball, I knew I was going all the way. I just didn't know if there was a penalty. I had a clear path."

Kevin Steele: "We were trying to create an atmosphere where we line up and get after people. It was a one-in-a-million play, the most unbelievable thing I've ever seen. It all rests right here [with me]. It will go down in history as one of the great, 'Why did you do it?' questions."

John Robinson: “The game was over if (Baylor) chose it to be over, and they tried to run an additional play. That should be the film clip for every coach to remind you not to screw it up.”

Jump ahead to the 4:23 mark:

I actually didn't realize that there was any video of this that surfaced, this is the first time I have seen it. I remember being a little (...young, not particularly little!) kid hearing Cordasco: "THE REBELS HAVE THE FOOTBALL THE REBELS HAVE THE FOOTBALL" ... I don't know if I was listening live or just had it played for me, but either way, I remember it. One of my earliest memories on UNLV football.

Nice little bit there, enjoy!

http://herosports.com/college-football/wonder-of-waco-college-football-history-baylor-unlv-aiai

Jump ahead to the 4:23 mark:

I actually didn't realize that there was any video of this that surfaced, this is the first time I have seen it. I remember being a little (...young, not particularly little!) kid hearing Cordasco: "THE REBELS HAVE THE FOOTBALL THE REBELS HAVE THE FOOTBALL" ... I don't know if I was listening live or just had it played for me, but either way, I remember it. One of my earliest memories on UNLV football.

Nice little bit there, enjoy!

My brother played in that game, my parents were at the game. My parents said the Baylor fans and I think band was giving the small UNLV section crap all game long, back then Baylor sucked so I guess they (so they thought) fund a fan base that they could pick on, and then this happened. My brother who was an offensive player said the offense was kind of making their way toward the locker room and looked up when they heard the crowd. I was living in LV at the time sitting in my car listening because I had no reception in my house.

As for video Ive seen it many times ESPN has shown it a lot. If Im not mistaken that company that put the season highlights together was former K Ray Chetany's.

Last edited:
Reactions: RebelinWA
That game!! I was going to UNLV at the time. I remember listening to it with my parents at their house. We got all the way to THE PLAY, when we heard that they were going to punch it in, we decided to turn the game off.

I didn't know we even won until the paper the next morning. I watch all 1 score games until the final whistle now!

Reactions: LocoRebel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT