ADVERTISEMENT

The stars could be aligned for a great season!

Rebel1986

Rebel Legend
Feb 25, 2011
Las Vegas
There appears to be more and more people that believe this could become a breakout year for UNLV football. A combination of a quickly improving UNLV program and a complete collapse of the MWC Western division could leave UNLV football in much better shape than even the most optimistic fans would have believed to be possible. A win at the community college of Northern Nevada could be a huge boost forward for the team and leave them in very good shape for the remainder of the season.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports...ebsite-favors-unlv-five-remaining-eight-games

I still think 4 wins is probably the high water mark, but if we beat Reno all bets are off.

A win like that vs our bitter enemy could really build a lot of momentum.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I really think we're going to beat Reno. Not by fluke either. I genuinely feel UNLV is becoming the better team at this stage of the season. But I completely agree with what you're saying. The game will be tight either way and whoever wins will be fortunate and will be in great shape to start conference play. Should be a fun match-up.

We went to Michigan and played well. UNR is no where near an up and coming Michigan at the big house. Take care of the ball Decker and Defense come up with T O's and the cannon will be back. Imagine, 2 in a row and 1 is RENO!! This place will be on FIRE. OOOOOH - CHILD is gonna get BRIGHTER!!!! Go REBELS

This team is demonstrating the difference of playing with and for a coach, versus playing with and in spite of a coach. "ATTITUDE"

I'd say UNR would have the strong edge this game and I'd agree with a 7 point spread.

But a couple of factors to consider. UNR is without starting DT Yates and likely starting MLB Dobrich and starting LG Khouri. Two of the backups are RS Freshmen and the other a Junior.

Also, energy is very high for the Rebels. The 3 losses to start season have been shaken off and Sanchez has them hungry for more. The 'missing' footage of the ISU game may help cause some challenges for UNR preparation (although Bull said no new schemes were employed).

Polian has everything to lose which may cause him to overplay this game. Quite honestly, his job is on the line. Many many UNR fans will want his head if he loses the cannon twice in a row at home.

This game is going to be won on UNLV stopping the Wolf Pack run. If they can limit the running attack, UNLV wins this game plain and simple. This is unless Decker throws some INT's. But I have a feeling that should Decker turn it over, Sanchez will go with Palandech quickly. Just a feeling but I think the staff is becoming much more comfortable with Palandech.

My heart says UNLV 23 UNR 17.
I could care less what my heads says.

Go Rebels. Bring the cannon home.

Last edited:
I'd say UNR would have the strong edge this game and I'd agree with a 7 point spread.

But a couple of factors to consider. UNR is without starting DT Yates and likely starting MLB Dobrich and starting LG Khouri. Two of the backups are RS Freshmen and the other a Junior.

Also, energy is very high for the Rebels. The 3 losses to start season have been shaken off and Sanchez has them hungry for more. The 'missing' footage of the ISU game may help cause some challenges for UNR preparation (although Bull said no new schemes were employed).

Polian has everything to lose which may cause him to overplay this game. Quite honestly, his job is on the line. Many many UNR fans will want his head if he loses the cannon twice in a row at home.

This game is going to be won on UNLV stopping the Wolf Pack run. If they can limit the running attack, UNLV wins this game plain and simple. This is unless Decker throws some INT's. But I have a feeling that should Decker turn it over, Sanchez will with Palandech quickly. Just a feeling but I think the staff is becoming much more comfortable with Palandech.

My heart says UNLV 23 UNR 17.
I could care less what my heads says.

Go Rebels. Bring the cannon home.
We are entering this game healthier than Reno which is a huge plus. The loss of Yates hurts their run defense as does the loss of their MLB. If coach Sanchez had his way I think he would like to have Decker around 20 or fewer pass attempts. I do think however they will try and test the Reno secondary with Boyd on a couple of deep passes.

Before the Yates suspension and the two injuries I thought Reno 27-21 now Rebels win 31-24.

I still think 4 wins is probably the high water mark, but if we beat Reno all bets are off.

A win like that vs our bitter enemy could really build a lot of momentum.
I think so, too and given where UNLV football was at, 4 wins is fine. I was looking for systemic change and we've seen that so far. The process of where UNLV to where they ultimately be is going to be a slow metamorphosis. Gotta get new players in, build them up.

As for tomorrow, I'm not as confident as many of our own fans. An 80 point outing doesn't mean a ton to me. I'd be more confident if Decker were a consistent QB. But we've seen him play very poorly, many times. The most dreadful mistakes (red zone turnovers). That'll keep you from winning a game and we've seen him do that a number of times.

I think it'll be a tight game that can go either way, team with the fewest critical mistakes wins.

I am excited at the obvious "change of wind direction" in regards to the program, but I think the DT and MLB loss for reano are being a bit overstated. Losses like this usually only change lines by a couple of points in books. The only major line movers are usually the most important player on the field (QB) or an all-conference calibur back. Be cautious brothers. Polian will certainly scheme to counteract a perceived weakness. I think a big part of how this result shakes out will come down to coaching. Sanchez has only coached in one close game so far...a game in which we led the majority, fizzled, and lost. We could have won that game. This was understandably overlooked coming in at +23, and with fans wanting to find hope to hang on to....as is always the case every 5 years around here. Nobody expected the win. The true value of a coach is determined by what is done in close games. Can the right buttons be pushed? We still don't know much about Sanchez at this level in that regard.

Also, another misconception I'm gathering is 28-7 and 31-0 meaning UNLV=or>BYU. Watching both games, Michigan was clearly not getting up to play us. They were sloppy in execution. Michigan had great sharpness and energy vs BYU. Plus the independent, power 5 wanna-be scheduling Cougars bit off more than they could chew with their schedule out of the gate.

Not trying to be a Debbie downer here, but just trying to shed some objective insight. Idoho St. means nothing when even your 6th string running back that can't gain yards in competitive situations looks all-conference and your freshmen are averaging 15 ypcarry.

It would be really cool if Sanchez can get his first FBS win, road win, rivalry win all in one day. It makes sense with the way the script has been written thus far. The honest fan knows that a bump or two is likely ahead though, especially given the state of the program for so long.

Go Rebels!

Agree, the Stars have been realigned by coach Sanchez . What a turnaround from last year. This man is a football god in my humble estimation!

If the Rebels can beat Reno (and they did), they can beat anyone in the MWC West. The new era has truly begun. Congrats Tony Sanchez, Kent Baer, Barney Cotton and the rest of the coaching staff for getting these kids ready and motivated. Congrats to all the hard working never give up Rebel student athletes for beating the Wolf Pack. You deserve this win.

Reactions: RedCannon
What a breathe of fresh air. I hope Coach Sanchez keeps winning and not get poached by other schools. If we get to a bowl this season, it will a be great argument for a new stadium. Go rebs!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT