ADVERTISEMENT

Thaddeus Philyaw/ Opened up Recruitment

rebelbuck

Retired Number
Aug 14, 2007
According to his tweet a few minutes ago Thaddues Philyaw will be opening up his recruitment.

It seems Jay'Onn Myles is hesitant to acknowledge any commitment to UNLV as well so I wonder how secure that is. It seems like he's hoping something better comes along. Parker Baldwin also seems to have a genuine interest in SDSU along with his dad so I wouldn't consider that a lock by any means. Regardless, just the relentlessness of this staff has me assured that no matter how the cards play come signing day we'll be proud of the result. Can't wait till next Wednesday!

This is happening all over the country right now. This last week is crunch time. After watching the first few weeks of recruiting I would suspect this staff has guys lined up if plans fall through or players change their mind.

The news does line up with the Lake visit but that could be only coincidence.

I'm also hoping this staff can get a couple higher ranked guys that get squeezed out last minute as well, potential 4 star guys maybe. Haucks last minute squeezes were mostly 3 stars and he made a living on last minute squeezes. This staff has 15+ commits of guys they targeted already locked in so add in a few late solid pickups and we're good to go. Unlike past years they also have a bevy of 2016 targets already being recruited and I can't wait to see what they do with a full year to get after it.

Losing Philyaw hurts for depth and some experience having played two years in JUCO ball. This type of stuff is going to happen. Wonder who came in late on this guy..

Not good news but really the first bad news we have gotten this recruiting season. This type of stuff happens. Interesting to see what his reasons were for changing his mind. To many defensive backs being brought in? Wants to be closer to home? Got a last minute offer from a more prestigious school? Who knows....

According to his twitter, he says he's not naming any names, but he has to look out for himself because of a certain situation. Not sure what that means.

Just heard from somebody close to the program that said the staff expected this could happen and he was never considered a true commit.

It appears that UNLV is looking for either 2 or 3 new DB's, and it is questionable if he had a guaranteed scholi at this point. interesting fact considering he is a 3* player, but the coaching staff know what they are looking for, and what they want.

Based on this fact is why I think he didn't want to wait and see, and instead opened things back up to make sure he landed on his feet where he wants to go.

According to Mark Anderson on Twitter he heard that night that Philyaw was not on their list. Emphatically so..

UNLV has never considered him a commit.

The Philyaw situation has been puzzling.

The DB "captian" (as he spells it on his profile) is a 21 year-old DB that had an offer from UAB but UAB dropped football. UNLV, Idaho, and BYU got involved. He waited for a BYU offer but BYU still hasn't offered.

He still is listed as a 3-star on Rivals but the stats Rivals has for him only credit him with one interception in two JC seasons. Scout and 247 say 2-star.

When I look at his stats and notice that he is actually the #4 DB on a JC team, it starts to make me wonder how Rivals could list him as a 3* player and makes more sense everyone else had him at 2*. Nothing personal against him, in football players want to move on and do better, but I think the 3* ranking may be a little above his head and had us all fooled due to the Rivals rating.

I see a lot of people now telling him to go to their school including people from Byu, USU, BSU, Fresno, unr, etc. but I have not seen much other action. Maybe there is a good reason why?

I only wish him the best, but maybe after the coaching staff had a chance to look at him they decided he wasn't a good fit to help the team and had it right from the beginning? Maybe in his case he believed they were going to make an offer and things just got out of hand?

Just need to trust that the coaching staff will do their job of checking out every recruit and make all the right decisions not just based on a somewhat arbitrary ranking system.

P.S.

It should also be noted that the team he played for was not very good and that in the overall conference he was way down the list in tackles. A mid level player (even if they played in every game) from a bad JC is not going to make an impact at a D1 program)

This post was edited on 1/30 4:56 AM by Rebel1986

http://www.cccaastats.org/sports/fball/2014-15/teams/deanza?view=lineup

I usually throw out the teams record especially in a sport like football where there are so many players but...He posted very very modest stats in two years. I think what might have gotten him is higher grade is that he really passes the eye test. Good sized kid with 4.5 speed, just about any coach is going to at least take a look at that.

Hope he lands on his feet somewhere and does well.

Maybe it's another "Beas Hamga case". Hamga was a Rivals 5-star who Lon Kruger signed for UNLV hoops, but when he actually arrived on campus it appeared he had never seen a basketball before in his life.

The Rivals expert who rated Hamga 5 stars was either drunk, paid off by someone, or just playing an April Fool's joke.

Like I mentioned in the post above about Philyaw, Hamga sure did pass the eye test though. That dude really looked great until you threw him the ball. Getting off the bus, he looked the part, getting on the court....Not so much.

I don't know if that is the case with Philyaw. His film looks pretty good, but his overall stats wouldn't lead to a 3 star grade usually. But again, his Height/Weight/Speed ratio looks really good to a lot of coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT