ADVERTISEMENT

Tell me if you've heard this before..

I saw that tweet last night and thought, man, are you sh!tting me? I immediately thought of Chris Chandler's injury-proneness and his nickname, crystal chandelier. This guy is so fragile.

Along with all of the QB recruiting news coming out this week it sure would have been nice to have pulled Sneed's redshirt. No telling how much he would have progressed, and it would have been nice to have one QB on the roster next year that has a chance of being the guy we are looking for at that position with some D-1 experience. We certainly wouldn't have lost any more games than we did with Palandach at the helm and you just never know, he might have turned out to be as good as the true freshman from Boise St that shellacked us last week! Just one guy's opinion.

I agree with that, Pistol. It's not like we are waiting on an Andrew Luck type of recruit. If we bring in at least one QB each recruiting cycle we will be covered.

Well BC you are the only one here that agrees with me on this matter. Everybody else blasts me when I have brought that issue up & say you have to redshirt the guy. My question is, Do we really want an extra year from a guy that isn't good enough to beat out Palandach?

Hell, I would be willing to pull his redshirt even now if Decker isn't going to play. There's a lot to gain and nothing to lose.

Reactions: RebelinWA
I'm with you. If he's not the long term answer, and I don't think anyone thinks he is, then I thought we should have pulled Sneed's redshirt.

I'm with you. If he's not the long term answer, and I don't think anyone thinks he is, then I thought we should have pulled Sneed's redshirt.
It's easier to say now after this most recent injury, but I don't think he should have redshirted from the start. Decker has always been fragile (@UNLVFansincebirth22). Needed options.

Reactions: UNLVFansincebirth22
I also mentioned Decker being injury prone but I never thought he'd be out this much. I don't know about calling him 'fragile' being that he's pretty bulked up guy this year. But WTF, I get reinjuring the hurt shoulder but the other?

Good thing is Hawaii is prone to the ground and pound. So even if Palandech has to start this game and play most or all, I still think we're fine. Not as confident as with Decker, but still believe that the Rebs will prevail in the end.

If Decker misses this game its pretty fair to say at this point that the guy is in fact injury prone. Odd that its on his throwing shoulder considering he threw for over 300 yards last game and showed no signs of having trouble with it. If he hurt it during the game it had to have been late.

Reactions: DocRebel
Decker has definitely struggled to stay healthy. Ideally you always want to redshirt a true freshman QB who isn't being relied on to play. I think the real question is, does true freshman Sneed offer a better chance today to win than what Palandech can? If so, I agree 100%, let's turn to Sneed. But on the other hand if coaches believe Palandech is still the more capable option then there's no sense pulling Sneed's redshirt just for the sake of doing it. If Palandech goes down with injury then obviously Sneed instantly becomes relied on and he'll have to go, ready or not. The issue is whether or not Sneed is unquestionably better than Palandech right now, and I'm not sure we can answer that definitively without having seen any game experience, etc. The coaches have more insight on that scenario, but one thing we do know, Sanchez isn't afraid to turn to true freshmen if he thinks they offer a better chance to win right now.

Semantics at this point but according to Collins Dictionary:

Injury-prone
adjective

1. often sustaining injuries ⇒ ■ the most injury-prone rider on the circuit

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/injury-prone

It's not about his toughness or heart, he got plenty of that. He just gets injured often. Last year was because of a very week OL. This year OL is better but he still getting hurt.

It's really not a big deal to call him injury prone. Not a fan of fragile. He's not fragile. But once again semantics.

Hell, I would be willing to pull his redshirt even now if Decker isn't going to play. There's a lot to gain and nothing to lose.
There are a few possible outcomes if you break Sneed's red shirt. I'm am not attacking anybody or calling them myopic or stupid or anything else not saying anybody is wrong to think that. I just think there are some things to consider when you talk about breaking Sneed's red shirt.

1) He lights the world on fire and is the 2nd coming of Johnny Football leading UNLV to four straight wins and a trip to a bowl game. Thats best case scenario.

2) He plays ok and we go 2-2 down the stretch and miss a bowl. Not much different than what we are probably looking at down the stretch. We got him some snaps and at least he has some experience going forward and another option for next year.

3) He comes out plays against Hawaii and stinks the joint up. What do you do now? Do you go back to Decker? What if he isn't ready for next week, do you go back to Palandech? Now you have an enormous mess on your hands. In this scenario you also could possibly ruin the kids confidence. We saw that with Nick Sherry, he had a good red shirt freshmen year, and after one bad interception vs Minnesota he was never the same player again. His confidence was destroyed to the point he lost his starting job, and when given chances later in his career he struggled and looked lost. That happened to a kid I think we all thought had a very bright future.

The other thing to consider is if Kevin Thomson isn't injured Sneed is #4 on the depth chart and this isn't even an issue.

Sneed might be the future at QB for UNLV, who knows. All we have is some HUDL tape and a couple of reports from AZ preps guys to go by. The coaches see him everyday in practice.

Sanchez said from the start he wanted to win now and would play the guys he thought gave us the best chance to win now. Sneed might be that guy next year or the year after. Or maybe he will never be the guy. But it looks like Sanchez and his staff either value his red shirt year to much and think he has potential going forward or they don't think he is the answer or ready to play yet if ever.

I get your point though, and part of me thinks to hell with it, put the kid in. I just think there is a lot more to consider. My opinion the potential cons outweigh the potential pros at this point.

Reactions: DocRebel
If circumstances were different and we had a solid upperclass QB leader and a proven and capable sophomore back up QB I would definitely redshirt a freshman. Those are not our circumstances. During the Fall Camp I posted that there wan't even a QB competition going on unless Sneed was given a chance to pick up the offense. From what I & others saw and posted, Decker would need to stay healthy for us to have a shot at success. As posted above, Do we want to keep someone around on scholarship for an extra year if he can't beat out Palandach? I am sure our options will be looking much brighter in the near future.

If Decker misses another start you can pretty much attach whatever adjective you like to his inability to stay healthy.

I thought the calls of fragile were way to soon before, and not sure I love the term but the fact is if he misses this game he will have essentially missed over half the season with various injuries. It's not a question of toughness. I think the kid is tough as nails, he just can't stay healthy. It's like Derek Rose, what else can you call him but injury prone at this point.

If circumstances were different and we had a solid upperclass QB leader and a proven and capable sophomore back up QB I would definitely redshirt a freshman. Those are not our circumstances. During the Fall Camp I posted that there wan't even a QB competition going on unless Sneed was given a chance to pick up the offense. From what I & others saw and posted, Decker would need to stay healthy for us to have a shot at success. As posted above, Do we want to keep someone around on scholarship for an extra year if he can't beat out Palandach? I am sure our options will be looking much brighter in the near future.
His chances of beating Palandech out go way up with a spring getting more reps. Right now it is probably more about understanding the offense than anything else.

I know nobody here thinks much of Palandech at this point. It is pretty obvious he is not the QB of the future for UNLV. That said, he was good enough to get us double digit leads in two separate games. The offense stagnated and the defense gave up those leads. I know the defense has played better this year than the last few years but at some point 28 and 27 points respectively have to be enough to win a game.

i think blowing Sneeds redshirt would not be a great idea if it's obvious he isn't showing readiness. Actually experimenting with Sneed might place the Rebs in greater jeopardy.

Couple of you guys saw Sneed preseason, maybe during season. Can you comment on his readiness physical as well as talent-wise?

i think blowing Sneeds redshirt would not be a great idea if it's obvious he isn't showing readiness. Actually experimenting with Sneed might place the Rebs in greater jeopardy.

Couple of you guys saw Sneed preseason, maybe during season. Can you comment on his readiness physical as well as talent-wise?
He was at the spring game and I stood pretty close to the kid. He is not a very big kid. Might be just over 6'0 and probably 185 lbs.

Going just off HUDL tape the first comparison people would probably make with Sneed is Johnny Football. He seems better rolling out of the pocket or extending plays. He has a decent arm, and looked pretty accurate with decent touch. His junior year he had two very very good WRs on his team and posted some ridiculous numbers. Senior year the two WRs had graduated and his numbers were still good but took a pretty noticeable hit.

I really think it boils down to grasp of the offense. Palandech despite his many flaws probably has a better grasp on the offense. I don't know if a week or three days of getting first team reps would be enough to get Sneed ready for a game.

Part of the dilemma and frustration with managing UNLV's QB situation this year has been that Decker's injuries have each been temporary. Decker's been "questionable" more than actually "out". I think the coaches are of the mindset to get everything they can out of Decker to finish the season, and use Palandech as needed to plug the holes.

If Decker is expected to miss only the Hawaii game but then return again, then I think you still have to approach it with Palandech for Saturday (and hopefully win) and then go right back to Decker the following week. And again, there's a chance Decker may play tomorrow regardless. I think the only way you burn Sneed's redshirt is if you know Decker is out for good, similar to what happened this year with BYU when Taysom Hill went down with his season-ending injury.

Decisions are much easier to make when the situation is black and white versus being gray the entire season, which is what UNLV has faced with Decker's availability status changing every other quarter.

Qb situation reminds me of what the basketball team went through last year with the pg position D. Cook blows knee out, K. Smith transfers, C Doolin last man standing.
I look at our team and see we are getting the most out of what we have the offense is limited because of qb play and a young undersized offensive line.
As the offensive line matures and gets bigger the qb play will pick up. I'm not throwing any of these guys on the dumpster Palandech first year huge improvements can be made during off season we saw C Herring grow leaps and bounds.
I think the plan is to beef up offensive line(be physical) focus more on the running game and get intense competition at the qb spot and let the chips fall. Most likely we'll have average play at qb but a solid run game and when we find the qb who actually excels then we'll win the west.

Reactions: RebelinWA
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT